Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Your Things » Art and Images

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:52 am 
Hey all!
(Obligatory preface: Long time reader, first time commenter, etc etc.)

I'm the beverage director for my bar, and wanted to build a cocktail on my spring menu that I could use to pay homage to Erfworld, as it has long been a huge favorite for me to read. Last week, we launched my new cocktail menu, and with it comes Jed the Head! It's a bit of a riff off of a Mai Tai, and I'm really excited to be sharing it with everyone so they can hopefully make it at home.

A few disclaimers to start with: Jed's recipe he gives to Stanley in Book Three, page Fifty Eight is not the classic recipe for a Mai Tai (insofar as a "classic recipe" can be agreed to; us bartenders are an incredibly finicky bunch, and we are notorious for keeping poor written history for our lock stock & trade). Us bartending folk might disagree endlessly about the origin of a cocktail and what the "original" recipe was, but we are endlessly reliable for innovating and twisting upon these drinks to create new, beautifully inspired creations. So; Jed the Head!

Mise en Place ("Everything in it's place"; the list of ingredients you will need to make this cocktail):
Aged Rum ("golden rum", per the comic)
Dark Rum
Pomegranate Licqueur
Pistachio Orgeat
Lime Juice
Kettle Sour Beer
Lime Wedge
16 oz Goblet/Tulip Glass

Recipe:
.75 oz aged rum
.75 oz dark rum
.5 oz Pomegranate licqueur
1 bar spoon (tablespoon) pistachio orgeat
1 bar spoon lime juice

Add all of the above ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake vigorously for 15 seconds.

Take your goblet glass and fill it with ice. Add two ounces of kettle soured beer, and then gently strain the rest of the cocktail on top. Garnish with a lime wedge, and enjoy!

(Thoughts, comments, advice, and direct inspirations will follow in the next comment).

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:18 am 
    Okay, so, there are a couple of things to note with this drink:

First off: There are some terms and/or ingredients people might not be familiar with in this recipe. I'll go over those first:

---Orgeat is, at it's base, sweetened almond nut milk with orangeflower water or roseflower water added in. Orgeat should be more or less available for everyone, if you know where to look; you can find it in any place that sells Torani syrups, or any authentic Italian food shop. It's an integral ingredient in traditional Mai Tai's, and is should never be that far away. My recipe calls for Pistachio orgeat, which you won't be able to find on store shelves, and will have to make yourselves. I'm here to tell you that doing this is going to be both cheap and easy to do. For roughly $6, you can make enough Pistachio orgeat to make you 20-30 cocktails, all for six dollars and 15 minutes of extra work. It's worth it, especially because almonds are far sweeter and less nutty than pistachio's, which is the flavor we want to go for and work with for this cocktail. However, if you want to make this cocktail in a hurry, or are out drinking somewhere and want someone else to make it for you, traditional orgeat will work in a pinch.

---Kettle soured beers are beers that, by design and intent, have been brewed with lactobacillus; a bacteria that causes protein to develop a sour and acidic characteristic during the fermentation process. Kettle soured beers are far, FAR milder than most of the rest of their sour beer brethren; they're just sour enough to provide just the slightest hint of acidity to help balance the sweetness of malt and barley that goes into brewing beer. If the idea of being around a "sour" beer scares you, kettle sour beers will be your friend. If you're not that familiar with craft beer, pop into your Friendly Local Craft Beer shop and ask for a super mild sour beer. Whomever is working there will be able to help you find the right beer to use, and they should always be super cheap.

Making this cocktail, I wanted to make a Mai Tai (just like Jed instructs Stanley to make), but without the overwhelming and blunt sweetness of a classic Mai Tai. Those cocktails are, to me, sickeningly sweet, and are a hardcore detriment in having another and another. The sweeter a drink is, the more it cloys and inhibits your palette, the more it dehydrates you, and the more it stops you from drinking more. So; this cocktail is, by design, not that sweet, and not that overwhelming. It is, however, still incredibly high in alcohol content (as are all Mai Tai's), and will turn even the sourest of Tool's into a chill, calm unit with just a couple of glasses.

When made in it's most perfect form, Jed the Head (the cocktail) should have a very clear, distinctly golden-yellow base to the cocktail in it's lower half, and a cloudy, rosy pink colored top layer from the hard liquor part of the cocktail on top. As you stir the two together and drink, you should end up with a very light pink (the color of a subtle face blush), slightly hazy cocktail in your glass.

Finally, if you want to come and try Jed the Head at my bar; you can find it at the Empirical Bew Pub, on the north side of Chicago. If you do come on by to try it, ask for Evan (me), and I'll gladly talk to you forever about the Arken-bar-tools and the power of the booze-Source. The rest of my staff is super nerd-friendly, and is very quickly getting caught up on all things Erf, so they make for great conversation on the topic as well.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:22 am 
    This user has been published! Shiny Red Star This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter This user got funny with a rodent Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Welcome to the forums, and thanks for sharing the recipe with us! I may have to give it a try, if I can get all the ingredients together...

Oh, and a minor note (since apparently there isn't a footnote on the archive page), Jed wasn't having Stanley make a Mai Tai — it was a Zombie.

Ask Count Downer is over and archived now.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:07 pm 
    This user is a Tool! This user posted the comment of the month This user got funny with a rodent Shiny Red Star Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    It sounds yummy, but I'd definitely need an experienced bartender to make it for me. :)

Thank you to Yshl's daughter for my new avatar. I love it! 3/4/2018

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:14 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    I loathe beer, but I'd be tempted to give this a try. I wonder if you could modify a Boston Bog for Bogroll.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Your Things » Art and Images