Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 313
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:30 pm 
Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
I think the other thing to keep in mind is that Parson is pretty inexperienced when it comes to love and evidently attraction isn't his primary motivation as he finds the Archon's attractive but can't force himself to do anything due to the ethical issues.

What I really like about Parson and Maggie is that it is complicated and adult. Maggie is a co-worker and a subordinate she is also in a lot of ways smarter than Parson. She isn't an 'object' for him to conquer and in some ways this might be his first real experience developing a meaningful relationship with a woman who is evidently attracted to him.

The other thing to consider is that Maggie's signamancy is potentially a reflection of her personality and values which at this stage (although with this update who knows!) reflects a very alien world view to Parson which I don't think makes them as compatible as we would think.

Her inability to really see or value relationships and focus on the analytical to a fault I think is what really drives her current appearance and while I'd be strongly against Maggie becoming super model-esque a softening of features to reflect her more well rounded world view I hope is what will drive any sub-plot that is their relationship.

Ultimately Maggie started out looking like an old woman and Parson is a young man. Parson needs to grow up and Maggie needs to become more emotional in her outlook to really stand a chance of them working together and that is what I think is really nice.

They're both flawed, they're both trying to get better and they'd both compliment each other amazingly as a couple but it isn't going to be a high-school romance that we get with the Jillian, Ansom and Wanda. If it does develop it will be a meaningful relationship based on mutual respect for each other.

Or who knows they might come to the conclusion it wouldn't work and remain great friends and allies the way it is presented makes it interesting and engaging rather than a trite "will they wont they" sub plot.

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:19 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary
    A kind of last-minute speculation... hoping that Friday isn't a skip-day... I'm already feeling some withdrawls, then again it's been a long week for me so I could use some Erf-update soon.

If G-strings refer to the logic that Thinkamancers typically use and H-strings refer to the kind of emotional bonds that Datamancers use...

Might there be an F-string that pulls on fate itself?

I've compared (mostly to myself) the three axes of magic, Erf, Fate, and Numbers as the three major ways in which a game world is represented.

Numbers = the numbers of the world, but also the interchangeability (treat it like a number and swap out one being of number X for another of the same number) inherent with numbers.

Erf = the game world itself, that which is, that which is brought into the world, that which can be seen or that which moves the world, effectively the non-numerical parts of the world itself.

Fate = the story of the world, the yarn we weave with the decisions we make and choices we choose.

And it's that last one, Fate, the story, that seems interesting to me right now. Might there be a third string?

After all, it usually takes three struck keys (3 strings) to make a chord.

I wonder also... if Maggie is getting new insights into Dateamancy, might it be with the recent influx of "mana" designed to intensify her natural Datemancy connection with Parson? And if that is the case... could Jed also intensify other connections and thus open Maggie's mind with other potential magical disciplines?

I have as my headcanon that a "wizard" in Erfworld is a caster that can cast all disciplines. A distinguished title sought after by many, achieved by very few. There haven't been any since [data retconjured].

Of course, I also have it as headcanon that either Charlie or the GM's were the ones that managed to get Deletionism deleted and turned into retconjuration in the first place.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:46 am 
    There might also exist P-strings, as in purse-strings which of course are the domain of moneymancy.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:16 am 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Hero of Shadows wrote:
    There might also exist P-strings, as in purse-strings which of course are the domain of moneymancy.

I wish my bladder would stop pulling on the P-string during the night :oops:

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:23 am 
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user got funny with a rodent This user is a Tool! Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Hero of Shadows wrote:

Perhaps there are strings for every axis...

EDIT: Ninja'd by @Arci

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:19 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    DunkelMentat wrote:
    This reminds me of the Dune series somehow (Except, you know, the prose is better. It's okay to admit that about Dune.)

Seriously? Frank Herbert could write, and Dune was his masterpiece.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:31 am 
    easter wrote:
    Let me rephrase. They wanted Psychology to be seen (by both the public and the academy) as a Natural Science on par with physics and chemistry that was part of the STEM fields and used the scientific method to make objective discoveries about the natural world rather than part of the humanities and liberal arts because that classification would give them greater prestige and funding and support their inherent worldview. It was a political move.

As someone with training in that field, let me make a suggestion:

Perhaps there are other motivations than the political for wanting to be a science.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:00 pm 
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user got funny with a rodent This user is a Tool! Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Melendwyr wrote:
    DunkelMentat wrote:
    This reminds me of the Dune series somehow (Except, you know, the prose is better. It's okay to admit that about Dune.)

Seriously. Dune had a profound effect on me. Reading it sparked my interest in neuroscience and I went into neuroscience as a profession (left a couple years ago for machine learning). Have you gone back and read the series as an adult? The writing is not as good as I thought it was as a child. It's so on-the-nose.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:41 pm 
    DunkelMentat wrote:
    Have you gone back and read the series as an adult? The writing is not as good as I thought it was as a child. It's so on-the-nose.

Oh, the series. Yeah, he continued in the same vein because he needed money. But Dune is still a masterpiece.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:24 pm 
    Melendwyr wrote:
    As someone with training in that field, let me make a suggestion:

Perhaps there are other motivations than the political for wanting to be a science.

Such as a desire to produce an accurate and repeatable analysis of human cognition and behavior.

As someone who also has training in this field, I agree.

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:06 pm 
    Melendwyr wrote:
    DunkelMentat wrote:

He was a great writer, I'll admit.

But the man couldn't write a song to save his life. Try singing any of Gurney's songs out loud, and you'll notice it.

Edit: And I believe the Xanth/Panty shock thing is mainly explored in The Dastard, I can't remember it being referenced much in other novels.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:04 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    So in this final hour or so before next post, I wanted to share one last thing that I noticed in this comic.

"Perceiving intuition, identity, and emotion as mere vibration on G-strings is like defining the sea only in terms of how a cork bobs up and down."

String theory is about strings vibrating in (roughly) 10 dimensions.

There are eight schools of magic. A through H are 8 letters. If there is one type of string per school of magic, then each can have a vibration; we are still missing two types of vibration.

What could those two types be? Is one held by people from other worlds (in Canon, that's the two perfect warlords)? Is one held by the Titans (or do they share with the other two in their school)?

Or has Jed actually told us what they are. An upkeep string, and all the little juice strings.

One string/dimension for each of the eight classes of magic. One for upkeep. One for juice.

That's 10 ways that a one-dimensional string can vibrate. That's the full 11 dimensions of string theory.

We finally have a complete picture (well, my theory anyways) of Erfworld and string theory.

(... Help me assemble my army for the great war, your donations will give an army of dwagons a good home against the army of darkness ... not as important.)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:11 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    alowe wrote:
    What blows my mind is that all arithmetic (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) is achieved in computing using just not gates. You might think, they also have and gates and or gates etc, but these other gates are made from not gates.

You need or-gates as well. In some technologies, you can wire the output from the gates together and it will act as an or-gate (this is technology dependent; you need the outputs from the previous transistor to be effectively true or disconnected instead of true or false).

With just not, you're limited to one's complement, and cannot calculate carry, etc.

(... Help me assemble my army for the great war, your donations will give an army of dwagons a good home against the army of darkness ... not as important.)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:16 pm 
    keybounce wrote:
    So in this final hour or so before next post, I wanted to share one last thing that I noticed in this comic.

"Perceiving intuition, identity, and emotion as mere vibration on G-strings is like defining the sea only in terms of how a cork bobs up and down."

String theory is about strings vibrating in (roughly) 10 dimensions.

There are eight schools of magic. A through H are 8 letters. If there is one type of string per school of magic, then each can have a vibration; we are still missing two types of vibration.

What could those two types be? Is one held by people from other worlds (in Canon, that's the two perfect warlords)? Is one held by the Titans (or do they share with the other two in their school)?

Or has Jed actually told us what they are. An upkeep string, and all the little juice strings.

One string/dimension for each of the eight classes of magic. One for upkeep. One for juice.

That's 10 ways that a one-dimensional string can vibrate. That's the full 11 dimensions of string theory.

We finally have a complete picture (well, my theory anyways) of Erfworld and string theory.

I believe the number of dimensions in string theory refers to the number of thinkamancer states:

There are 7 achieved by the Great Minds (Regular Thinkamancers reach up to 3), with State 7 requiring 6 Master Thinkamancers. They further add that there are '4 Theoratical' states above 7, allowing 11. Deisaac is currently so powerful because he's a State 8.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:25 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    keybounce wrote:

I'm almost entirely certain the "upkeep string" is actually Turnamancy. Jed's word for it, maawe ho'one'e, translates as something like "string of movement". Or at least that's as close as I could get with the Hawaiian translation sources I was able to find (I don't speak Hawaiian).

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:59 pm 
    Bobfromjanitorial wrote:
    He was a great writer, I'll admit.

But the man couldn't write a song to save his life. Try singing any of Gurney's songs out loud, and you'll notice it.

That's what poetry sounds like when it's translated literally. (And since other languages have very different poetic conventions, sometimes based on features that English doesn't even have, it's hard to properly appreciate their poetry.)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions