Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Gems and Mine4Erf

Post Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:24 pm 
Site Admin
Shiny Red Star This user is a member of Team Erfworld Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Clubs Suit Pip
I've pushed up an 0.3.15 of the miner which pulls in the latest improvements in the stock/base miner we're based on, and uses those. In particular we now have:

- More colours! More things are colourised to distinguish between things.

- Graphics card temperature and fan percentage speed. This will make it easy to see if your card is running too hot and how much it's revving its fans, without needing other software. You should be fine so long as it's low 80s- above that is alright for short bursts but not something I'd recommend for long-term mining.

- ADDED IN 0.3.2: If we detect support, we switch to using a faster mode on nVidia cards that makes them go faster; 4% faster on dev setup. Would be good to have feedback on how this works for people, and whether it's better/worse for multitasking and similar.

- ADDED in 0.3.4: We now automatically quit, wait 60 seconds, and restart on certain errors, to help recover on some people's machines which got stalled forever failing to find shares sometimes. This is kind of untested, so reports on how this behaves for you (if you're one of the few who ever see it) are appreciated.

- ADDED IN 0.3.5-0.3.7: More robustness to the hardware checks on nVidia systems where CUDA works but OpenCL doesn't. 0.3.6 fixed faults introduced by 0.3.5's initial attempt, and 0.3.7 suppresses some spurious errors for AMD users (in particular).

- ADDED in 0.3.8: You can now override the hardware detection's chosen parameters for the miner by adding a hardware-detect-override.txt to the miner's folder containing the parameters you want to use. Good for technical people who want to get into tweaking with settings to try to find the best ones for their system or improve mining performance. We also now print a little message to users on nVidia GTX 9xx cards suggesting enabling the "Optimise for compute performance" option in the nVidia control panel, because it has been seen to double or triple mining performance.

- ADDED in 0.3.9: We now use some alternative options on previous-generation nVidia cards with up to date drivers that should both improve performance and reduce impact on the rest of the system, by using a tuned CUDA config.

- ADDED in 0.3.10 - We now check a third source for graphics cards, and if we see graphics cards in it but not in OpenCL and CUDA, we tell the user their graphics driver might be borked and suggest rebooting/updating drivers, because it turns out borked drivers can do this.

- ADDED in 0.3.15: If we fail to start using CUDA, we now automatically failover to OpenCL.

I've also made a slight code change to the miner to try to remove a possible cause of the output hangs, disabling the console providing window state change information to the miner in its input. Not sure if this works, but it doesn't seem to do any harm at the least.

(These aren't necessarily the highest priority improvements, just things I noticed could be done quite quickly by pulling in some open source improvements, rather than being work I need to actually do myself.)

"Everything Is Complicated, Let's Try Anyway."

Site Architect, Developer, Administrator, Moderator, Web Team

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:50 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! Ruler of Erfworld This user got funny with a rodent Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    I like your new error message. Very much informative, and thanks for removing the "integrated" check. some integrated graphics on gaming laptops for example can quite well handle Eth mining

Follow the Adventures of Prince Valareos of Halareos: First Page Latest Page

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:11 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    I appreciate the new color coding!

I noticed that on my rig it now encounters an error creating the DAG buffer which wasn't happening with the previous version.

Error Message:
    Spoiler: show

Graphics Cards:

I do still seem to be finding shares occasionally, and the reported speed is actually a bit higher than it had been, but I'm not sure how meaningful the DAG buffer is to the overall process.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:19 pm 
    Site Admin
    Shiny Red Star This user is a member of Team Erfworld Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Clubs Suit Pip
    @thriggle: Huh, now that's interesting- you've some integrated graphics which actually at least claim to have the memory needed to support mining. The miner is detecting that and trying to make use of both your integrated graphics and the graphics card. You're getting that error, and I'm not sure if that means it isn't working on the integrated graphics or not.

(My best guess is that it isn't, and it trying isn't doing any harm on yours aside the confusing error, but means it's a bit less compatible than it could be. If so, I might want to explicitly blacklist Intel graphics again, because while they might be able to mine some things they might not be able to mine this.)

Could you open a command prompt in the folder the miner is in, and run ".\internal.exe -U --list-devices"? And if possible give me a screenshot/sample text of what it says when the speed has gotten above zero? I'm curious if it's reporting a non-zero hashrate for both GPUs.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:29 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    Sure thing! Here's what it's reporting back:

Listing CUDA devices.
    FORMAT: [deviceID] deviceName
    [0] GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    Compute version: 6.1
    cudaDeviceProp::totalGlobalMem: 4294967296
    Pci: 0000:01:00

When it runs, the miner lists GPU 0 as doing real work, while GPU 1 does diddly:

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:26 pm 
    Site Admin
    @thriggle: I've just pushed 0.3.2 to the server. If you close and rerun mine4erf.bat, you should see the new version. It should retain the improved speed while not generating that error (by correctly ignoring the integrated graphics). Would be good to have tested.

0.3.2 has some new logic for trying to run faster (only maybe ~4% faster, but faster) on nVidia cards on the latest drivers, by detecting and switching to the faster but less compatible mode on them, where available.

I'm interested in reports of how well this works, and also in reports of whether it improves/worsens running it while doing other stuff on the system- it passes a --cuda-streams 1 parameter to reduce the amount of parallelism, at a 1-2% or so slowdown but better multitasking behaviour, I think.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:34 pm 
    Tested out 0.3.2 and it seems to be working great, at least for me!

No errors messages and it found 3 shares in the first four minutes :D

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:29 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins This user got funny with a rodent This user is a Tool! Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    To verify, the part in the status line while its mining when it reads 61c is the fan temp correct?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:01 pm 
    Site Admin
    Yep!

It seems to show it in celsius, which is maybe not ideal for American users. (But it doesn't look easy to change.)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:42 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day For when you need it most Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Clubs Suit Pip
    JBeshir wrote:
    Yep!

It seems to show it in celsius, which is maybe not ideal for American users. (But it doesn't look easy to change.)

displayTemperature = ((sourceTemperature * 9) / 5) + 32

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:48 pm 
    Site Admin
    Yeah, I guess what I mean is "I'd have to go make changes to the display code rather than just being able to pass an already existing flag to change the unit". It's not that hard, no.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:05 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day For when you need it most Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Clubs Suit Pip
    Ah, that way. Yeah, if whatever you're passing doesn't give you the option, you'd have to change how you display it.

I wouldn't think there's any pressing need to include Fahrenheit information - whether it's C or F, I don't know what's a good number for my fan to be at. Then again, your end users are people with significantly better graphics cards then I have, which might mean they're more interested in computer hardware, which might mean they actually do care how hot their computer's running, and might find a more immediately understandable temperature to be a valuable feature.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:07 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins This user got funny with a rodent This user is a Tool! Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    New issues I've found on the new miner. It completely hoses my internet connection on my machine. Like no web browsing or anything. Close the miner, and it all comes back up. Previous version did not eat that much bandwidth...

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:39 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    For me, the new version has been running all day with some errors, which I didn't have previously. It also locks up my computer pretty hard, which was not happening in the previous version. It takes minutes to stop the miner. I've also been mining all day and don't seem to have any spins after updating.

Not sure if it's related to my card or something else:

Listing OpenCL devices.
    FORMAT: [platformID] [deviceID] deviceName
    [0] [0] GeForce GTX 970
    CL_DEVICE_TYPE: GPU
    CL_DEVICE_GLOBAL_MEM_SIZE: 4294967296
    CL_DEVICE_MAX_MEM_ALLOC_SIZE: 1073741824
    CL_DEVICE_MAX_WORK_GROUP_SIZE: 1024
    Starting with parameters: -U --cuda-streams 1
    m 23:13:52|main | ethminer version 0.14.0.dev2

What other data can I provide?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:01 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf This user is a Tool! Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    I have a hypothetical query, which may be relevant to me if I can get multiple machines up and running on the miner.

If multiple machines are running under the same worker ID, does that interfere with the logic at all? Or will they work independently, just adding shares regularly whenever one of them solves a job? (or however it is shares are found, I'm not well-read on this xD)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:11 am 
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins This user got funny with a rodent Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Been getting this error every time i try to run since last night seems to be crashing the latest nvidia drivers:

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:51 am 
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins This user got funny with a rodent Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Tracked the source to one of two things after thinking for a bit, (just woke up btw), it was eitheir because GOM player was paused mid playback in the background or because windows movie maker was running in the background. best guess one of them was using enough video memory to take me below the limit.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:27 am 
    Corran wrote:
    What other data can I provide?
    Wouldn't hurt to provide the error message(s) too, if you can.

Carl wrote:
    Been getting this error every time i try to run since last night seems to be crashing the latest nvidia drivers:

That screenshot lacks the new color coding. Is it possible you're running an older version of the miner?

Executing mine4erf.bat should download the newest version of the miner (via download-and-extract.ps1).

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:21 am 
    Site Admin
    @Corran: That's unfortunate. :(

I've made a change that it'll prefer to not use the faster mode if it's not on a very latest nVidia card (specifically, one with compute capability of at least 6.0) and published 0.3.3. This should cause your system to go back to the performance it was showing before.

@Silversought: Multiple machines should be fine! If you do get them going, it would be helpful to post and provide the reported hashrate (the MH/s number) on both machines so I can double check that the hashrate we're seeing and shares we're seeing fit with the sum of both.

@Carl: That sounds very plausible, unfortunately. Thank you for working this out- this would have puzzled me! On the colours thing, unfortunately only Windows 10 supports the new colour stuff (and even there it came in in an update), so it's not too surprising to see them missing on some systems.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:22 am 
    This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    @Jbeshir

Thanks! I'll test it today when i get home from work. I'll also see if i can figure out a way to pipe the output to a log file so i can review it more thoroughly to be able to provide more helpful data next time.

There's a small chance that my precisionx contributed to this somehow but i haven't had the time for proper testing. I'll check back in later tonight or tomorrow.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Gems and Mine4Erf