Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:36 pm 
Miasmark wrote:
Quote:
Odd capitalization make me think this is a reference to something. acronym: TRINO RINO?

RINO is a commonly used acronym on political blogs and forums and refers to a "Republican In Name Only," i.e. someone who is officially considered a Republican but who consistently aligns with the Democrats or is at least perceived to do so by more partisan Republicans. Olympia Snowe and Mitt Romney are commonly referred to as RINOs by the Tea Party wing of the GOP. The opposite of a RINO is a DINO, a Democrat who consistently sides with Republicans such as Ben Nelson or most of the Blue Dogs in the House.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:55 pm 
    Wow, Slately's even more of a tool than Stanley.

Jeivar wrote:
    The mention of a demon has piqued my interest. Just what is a demon in Erfworld. I would have expected it to be just an extraplanar creature, summoned by a castaer and used in combat, since EVERYTHING on Erf has to do with combat. But it seems that demons are something to be loathed, feared and avoided. Perhaps they represent some force that opposes the Titans? Just how does a demon manifest on Erf? And why? What does one do?

They're a type of Natural Ally, according to one of the Summer text updates, but I can't find the precise one at the moment.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:06 pm 
    Meh, Slately. I have no sympathy for him.

But how it must have felt, for every lord and king in history, the night before their last battle? Could any of them have slept, with the wolves howling at their gates?

Acherusis
    a Neverwinter Nights 2 adventure
    by Lord Firkraag

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:16 pm 
    Hobgobwin wrote:
    Wow, Slately's even more of a tool than Stanley.

I don't understand how anyone with a passing familiarity with the comic can type that without having an involuntary muscle spasm which ends their sentence with an emoticon. Stanely's track record makes him not only the original "tool," but the embodiement of the concept. Does he think he's better than everyone else? Yes. Does he put his own petty interests above not only his underlings interests, but their lives? Yes, yes he does.

Meanwhile, we learn more about Slately. Not his finest moment, but he is staring down a much more powerful army and his only allies are a large force expected to betray him when convient and Jillian... Jillian might be a fearsome fighter, but her table manners leave much to be desired. And Slately is weak-dar is on to something, Jillian herself doesn't know if she actually wants to side with Jetstone or let Wanda claim her. A real royal wouldn't be thinking that, they'd see the threat, put personal grudges aside and do what must be done.

"Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt." - Thomas Moore

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:17 pm 
    Wow.

Powerful and emotionally-charged update. The text updates have been doing a great, great deal to humanize the characters and make them more relatable. I found this one to read better than most published books. The drama is really building up and I'm in awe.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:27 pm 
    atalex wrote:
    Jeivar wrote:
    Hmm. Slately is rather pathetic, and yet has three impressive sons. Funny that.

I'd say one and a half. Ansom intrigues me only because he is our baseline for how decryption changes people, but he was just a Royalist D-bag in Book One and now he's just a Toolist D-Bag instead. Ossomer was impressive only in how impressively he failed at the bridge. OTOH, I am hopeful that we'll get to see King Tremennis before too long.

In defense of Ansom, don't forget that he was at least able to be friends with "merely noble" Vinny, and fall in love with the "barbarian queen" Jillian. So, he was not quite the snob his father seems to be. And Ossomer seems to be a lot stiffer than Ansom ever was.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:41 pm 
    Yahoo Messenger: grixit
    Welf von Ehrwald wrote:
    Poor Slatley. I guess deep down he already has given up. He already accepted Toolism as the "truth".

And "the Hall of the Mountain King"? Another puzzle piece about the religion of the erfworlders.

Yes, i noticed that. Now i can't get "Duh duh duh-- duh duh duh dah-- duh duh-- duh duh duh dah!" out of my head. So Slately expects a dwarf to judge him, not an immediate enrollment in the Hall of Heroes.

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
    . . . . . . Dr Pepper
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:49 pm 
    Maybe the King is Elvis?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:54 pm 
    Yahoo Messenger: grixit
    Moik wrote:
    Wow.

Powerful and emotionally-charged update. The text updates have been doing a great, great deal to humanize the characters and make them more relatable. I found this one to read better than most published books. The drama is really building up and I'm in awe.

Agreed, albeit i think it have would have worked better if it had come before the battle at the bridge. In fact it might have made a great wnding to the summer updates.

Oh, i have a comment about that, i keep forgetting to make-- Rob once mentioned that with a webcomic there are no first drafts, so unless he invokes retconjuration, he's stuck with what he's posted. I say no. I say don't think of the web comic as a puiblication, think of it as a dress rehearsal. with the print version being the true performance. We are the audience for both and get to see how the director's conception evolves.

Also, some people have complained about the amount of text used in a comic. I say, if the format were a little different, we'd call this a graphic novel and wouldn't be surprised to see pages of text with just a few pictures as well as pages of standard panels.

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
    . . . . . . Dr Pepper
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:09 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    And the darkness answers "No."

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:17 pm 
    What's so pathetic about Spacely, exactly? My, but we're spoiled by perfect heroes in books and movies and comic books.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:26 pm 
    very well written. perhaps your best text update yet.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:27 pm 
    Lord Kasavin wrote:
    Meanwhile, we learn more about Slately. Not his finest moment, but he is staring down a much more powerful army and his only allies are a large force expected to betray him when convient and Jillian... Jillian might be a fearsome fighter, but her table manners leave much to be desired. And Slately is weak-dar is on to something, Jillian herself doesn't know if she actually wants to side with Jetstone or let Wanda claim her. A real royal wouldn't be thinking that, they'd see the threat, put personal grudges aside and do what must be done.

Oh, give Jillian time. Yes, she has doubts, but she hasn't reached the moment of truth yet. I have faith.

As for Slately, I don't give him THAT much credit. He has contempt for Jillian because she doesn't "take tea". I really don't think he sees the doubt in her soul re: Wanda and Ansom.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:54 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    AOL: Warcraftace
    Quote:

This is precisely why we don't like Slately, he's the epitome of all the snobby Royalism we've been seeing up until now. He judges Jillian based on her table manners, nevermind that table manners are an irrelevant bit of ettiquette that have nothing to do with how good a ruler someone is. Also, every ruler in Erfworld puts their own interests over the lives of their subjects. Slately threw an army at Stanley, led by his own son, just because he didn't like how Stanley came to power.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:58 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter
    Hey, Slately, if you believe that Royals are superior, but making that view consistent with what you observe in the world forces you to categorize all of the Kings and Queens you know as "Royals In Name Only", perhaps you should reconsider your premise.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:59 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    DevilDan wrote:
    What's so pathetic about Spacely, exactly? My, but we're spoiled by perfect heroes in books and movies and comic books.

I like my villains and hero's complex Stately has nothing that makes him stand out. He just acts like a monarch and that's it, Bogrol had more depth. The complaint is that we want Long John Silver, Magenito, Wolverine, and Iron Man who all have their good and bad points, Stately has only shown us the negative. This is why he is so disliked my many. Perfect heroes do not move us and the few that do are not as popular most of the time. Superman is a good example of the good perfect hero.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:20 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Wanda: Turn Jillian, and I'll give you Stanley's head on a platter and Ansom will join us in the dungeon after!

Jill: Turn Jack, my mancer has made it easy, and I love you!

Jill: Sorry, Jack, I lied about the love you part. Already love Wanda, Ansom and Vinny, no room for a forth.

Jack: Love makes the wise men fools!

Jill: 'What a wonderful dream, I even got Ansom back and he's hotter than ever!'

Stately: 'What a night, I even got Bea back and she is hotter than ever!'

Both: 'Wait, this is not a dream? Who am I in bed with?"

Jack: 'Guess that makes 4, Jill.'

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:27 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter
    multilis wrote:

You make an excellent point. Stay on Jack's good side!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:31 pm 
    multilis wrote:
    Wanda: Turn Jillian, and I'll give you Stanley's head on a platter and Ansom will join us in the dungeon after!

Jill: Turn Jack, my mancer has made it easy, and I love you!

Jill: Sorry, Jack, I lied about the love you part. Already love Wanda, Ansom and Vinny, no room for a forth.

Jack: Love makes the wise men fools!

Jill: 'What a wonderful dream, I even got Ansom back and he's hotter than ever!'

Stately: 'What a night, I even got Bea back and she is hotter than ever!'

Both: 'Wait, this is not a dream? Who am I in bed with?"

I think you confused Slately and Don. But still ROFLCOPTER

<INSERT_WITTY_COMMENT_HERE>

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:46 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Sinrus wrote:
    I think you confused Slately and Don...

Given that Bea was a perfect "royal" queen, I figured Stately would (also) find her attractive.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions