Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Gems and Mine4Erf

Post Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:22 am 
This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a member of Team Erfworld IRC Quote of the Moment This user got funny with a rodent This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Celebrated Rob and Linda's 1st Clubs Suit Pip Diamonds Suit Pip Hearts Suit Pip Spades Suit Pip
I've been intending to tell this story since it happened. My apologies for waiting so long to start this thread.

Not too long after we had introduced Mine4Erf, we added bonus spins. When you don't find a gem with your hour's spin, you get a second spin with a chance to get a playing card. After that, I added a badge with a four leaf clover on it. I called it "Spare Luckamancy." You can only win this badge with a one in 1024 chance, and only on your bonus spin.

My own luck at mining gems is legendarily bad. I definitely eat my own dog food when it comes to the RNG of gem mining. But a few weeks after we introduced the Luckamancy badge, I unlocked a Spare Luckamancy.

As much as it hurts to admit it, I don't always have a fully-formed master plan in mind. With the series, the website, and...really my whole life, I sometimes do things or add things or try things just because they feel like they'll be fun, or they'll turn into something eventually. With Spare Luckamancy, I really only wanted a proof of concept that a random event on the website could earn someone a badge. It seemed like giving them out to our miners was the logical thing to do.

When I got my badge, I just shrugged. There were some terrible things going on in our lives at that time. Linda had just begun her third round of chemotherapy. My head was crammed full of information. I was trying to understand about her tests and her disease in general. I was trying to keep the story going, even as we made plans and decisions about how to spend what nearly everyone was telling us would likely be the last months of Linda's life.

One evening, when Red was over at the basement office at our Richmond house where the three of us worked, Linda got a call from her oncologist at Johns Hopkins. She and I went upstairs to the bedroom to take the call and hear what the doctor had to say.

We were not expecting to hear anything particularly great, but that was when we found out that Linda had been misdiagnosed. She did not need the chemotherapy. And although she still had stage IV cancer, it was a rarer and more treatable form. The idea that she had only months to live was off the table. The idea that she might not have more than a fraction of a percent of a chance to survive was gone.

When the call was over, when we'd hugged and cried and laughed and decided to move to Baltimore, I sort of zombie-walked downstairs.

Red saw my thousand-yard stare and assumed the worst. He asked, "How'd it go?"

I said, "You remember that Luckamancy badge I mined?"

"Yeah?"

"Delete it from my account. I just used it."

He did. And ever since that night, I have known what this badge is for. When you earn one, sooner or later you are due for a wild piece of good luck. It's a saving throw, a Get out of Jail Free card, a nat 20.

For those of you who have mined one of these badges, maybe it's already happened. If and when you have some outrageously unlikely piece of good fortune, then you should come to this forum topic and tell us the story.

As is tradition, Red will then remove the badge from your account, and you'll be free to earn another one.

Good luck, everybody! --}{

• Tipped by 8 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:41 am 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a member of Team Erfworld IRC Quote of the Moment This user got funny with a rodent This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Celebrated Rob and Linda's 1st Clubs Suit Pip Diamonds Suit Pip Hearts Suit Pip Spades Suit Pip
    Second story, and not as epic. I'd been mining pretty steadily since May, and only earned a new Spare Luckamancy badge in early November.

Just a few days after that, in one of those Erfworld lightning-strikes of good luck (like getting the chance to launch on Giant in the Playground, or finding Xin just as Jamie was bowing out...they do happen), I ran into Connor Cercone in a Discord channel for 3D character modeling. He's an unbelievably great fit with the team, and exactly what we need to take Erfworld to the next book.

It's possible that things won't work out. I might look back on this post and cringe. But I think it's a lot more likely that after we've seen Connor's contributions to Erfworld over the coming months or years, you won't have any doubts about why he's "badgeworthy."

No pressure tho, New Kid. :albert:

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:35 am 
    This user is a Tool! IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Clubs Suit Pip For when you need it most Diamonds Suit Pip Shiny Red Star Hearts Suit Pip
    Ok, I do not have a truly outrageous piece of luck happening since I got the badge (or before for that matter) and I hope non story posts are allowed (if not move it out of here please) but I just have to post here.

First, this idea is awesome. Bad stuff happens in life. Horrible stuff happens in life. But good stuff and awesome stuff happens too. We constantly get bombarded with the bad stuff
    (news, strangers, family, friends) while good stuff does often not get reported like that. So a thread were we can get a dose of "Crowning Moment of Awesome" combined with a "Crowning Moment of Heartwarming" is awesome in itself ( If you need a dose of happy, I recommend searching for "Crowning Moment of Heartwarming" on TV Tropes. There are a bunch of them there.)

Second, here is to Linda turning in her badge. Once she told Cancer to fuck off for good.

The Imperfect Warlord

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:05 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    I did not found a Luckamancy badge, but I once found in the grass a wooden coin with shiny runes printed on it. It wasn't old or or anything and it looks like it was a promotional coin from a carnival or something. I putted in my pocket. For the next two weeks, it happen three times I was late at something, but it didn't mattered. The other person was later than I did, or something happened and it wasn't me the bottleneck. The third time this happen, I found the coin broken in two when I removed it from my pocket at night. So I stashed it in my good memories drawer as I used up all the charges left. :)
    This story is not near what happen to others, but I believe in Luckamancy and that I found a magic item, as magic as the Luckamancy badge can be for you.
    Good Luck!

Life is like a game with cards : if you don't get the cards you want, you need to use your skills in order to do the best out of the ones you got -> There is two stats in life, skill and luck -> It's why I'm a skillful luckamancer!

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Gems and Mine4Erf