Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Gems and Mine4Erf

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:36 pm 
This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user got funny with a rodent Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf For when you need it most Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
The alternate miner is failing to get either us. or eu.ubiqpool.io resolution. This is a large phenomenon, all of my available local recursive servers and also several checked 'big' free opens, like googles, level 3, cloudflare, quad9, and opennic are all not returning results.

Nothing you can do, this is just informative.

(for those interested, a good list of free and (some definition of) 'safe' open dns servers is available here: https://www.lifewire.com/free-and-publi ... rs-2626062).
I like making one of these my tertiary.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:07 pm 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user got funny with a rodent Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf For when you need it most Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    And it's back.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:56 pm 
    This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf This user got funny with a rodent This user is a Tool! Shiny Red Star Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins For when you need it most Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Sounds like whoever is in charge of that domain goofed hard. A simple DNS server outage would not cause the problems you describe. Even a multiple server outage wouldn't unless it went on for days or the timeouts were set ridiculously low for the DNS records.

Fear the would-be hero. For against the pangs of conscience, there is no more effective anesthesia than a righteous cause. And no one sees themselves as the villain, especially the villain.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:41 am 
    Their cache times are short, 1 hour, for some applications that is quite acceptable.
    My MX servers are on split times, the high priority ones on a 2 hour cache, the low priority one on 6 days. I want to be able to move my recipient servers quickly if something comes up, I'm more concerned with the failure of the endpoint than the failure of the DNS.

In general, you'll find that in the 'modern' web, cache times in the sub-24 hour range are much more the norm.

Now one thing they've done 'wrong' is they have just two authoritative servers in the same subnet. Mind you, I could reach the servers yesterday, I was just getting NXDOMAIN answers on the us/eu subdomains.

My Auth DNS runs two local (managed by me) authoritative servers and three non-locals. If my locals die, the non local servers will keep serving the last copy of the zone files they have.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Gems and Mine4Erf