Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Gems and Mine4Erf

Post Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:18 pm 
E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf This user got funny with a rodent Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user is a Tool! Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
A while back I asked if Rob would consider selling simulated mining, and he answered with the very sensible policy of not directly taking money in exchange for spins.

As an alternative idea that abides by that rule, what if giving Erfworld money through its Amazon affiliate program awarded you spins? That would be a nice way for people to participate in Mine4Erf if they lack mining hardware or the money/inclination to hire a mining service.

This could also potentially be very lucrative, since I'd wager a large number of Erfworld readers who would never bother with crypto mining could be more easily nudged into taking the trouble to use the referral link for the chance at winning gems.

To be fair in the monthly competition, the amount of spins awarded could be based on the current price of ETH. So for example, if you give Erfworld $1 through Amazon, you'd get the same number of spins as if you had mined $1 of ETH.

*A Very Erfworld Questmas - Peace on Erf.
*Blast From The Past - 10 part story about an army frozen in time. Finished!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:06 am 
    This user was a Tool before it was cool Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf
    The primary blocker to this approach would be how to gather the data to verify an affiliate purchase. There is nothing in the amazon affiliate purchase reports that can easily identify individual users (correct behavior!) so you would need to do something wonky like build custom browser extensions to track purchases or the like.

Good idea but significantly harder to implement once you dig into it.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:41 am 
    This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf This user got funny with a rodent This user is a Tool! Shiny Red Star Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins For when you need it most Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Clubs Suit Pip
    stebuu wrote:
    The primary blocker to this approach would be how to gather the data to verify an affiliate purchase. There is nothing in the amazon affiliate purchase reports that can easily identify individual users (correct behavior!) so you would need to do something wonky like build custom browser extensions to track purchases or the like.

Good idea but significantly harder to implement once you dig into it.

I disagree. But only in that the primary blocker is in how this could be a pay to win scenario. Which the staff have pointedly said will never happen. It will never be possible to spend money and get spins back from doing so.

Second to that is the possibility that what Erfworld is paid for its affiliate participation might not be enough to make the R&D necessary to support such a program worthwhile.

For now, at least: if you are willing to put money into getting spins... buy a video card and get to mining.

Fear the would-be hero. For against the pangs of conscience, there is no more effective anesthesia than a righteous cause. And no one sees themselves as the villain, especially the villain.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:54 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits For when you need it most Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Clubs Suit Pip
    JadedDragoon wrote:
    I disagree. But only in that the primary blocker is in how this could be a pay to win scenario. Which the staff have pointedly said will never happen. It will never be possible to spend money and get spins back from doing so.

Other than buying mining time of course

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:18 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf This user got funny with a rodent Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user is a Tool! Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Cryptomancer wrote:
    JadedDragoon wrote:

Yeah, I think "pay to win" is already present in some regard. Even if you're using a computer you already had, and not buying an expensive new graphics card, you're paying for electricity at the very least. And people are allowed to simply hire miners off the Internet to boost their score if they really want.

The red line that Rob won't cross is Erfworld itself selling the spins in exchange for paying them money. Technically, an Amazon referral fee isn't you buying something from Erfworld. You're paying Amazon money, and Amazon is in turn giving a small percentage to Erfworld. I know the difference seems academic, but it does avoid a lootbox pay2win type scenario where one person can simply drop $100 bucks in the Erfworld store for a zillion gem spins.

JadedDragoon wrote:
    Second to that is the possibility that what Erfworld is paid for its affiliate participation might not be enough to make the R&D necessary to support such a program worthwhile.

That's a definite possibility. I have no idea how many Erfworld readers shop through Amazon, or how much they spend. It might not be worth the time it takes to code.

But the affiliate fees can get as high as 10%. Erfworld has thousands of readers. Some people spend hundreds of dollars per month on Amazon on regular reoccurring purchases like groceries. If Rob can convince people to give him 5-10% of that, it could really add up.

*A Very Erfworld Questmas - Peace on Erf.
    *Blast From The Past - 10 part story about an army frozen in time. Finished!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:14 am 
    This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf This user got funny with a rodent This user is a Tool! Shiny Red Star Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins For when you need it most Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Clubs Suit Pip
    Omnimancer wrote:
    Cryptomancer wrote:
    JadedDragoon wrote:

Yeah, I think "pay to win" is already present in some regard. Even if you're using a computer you already had, and not buying an expensive new graphics card, you're paying for electricity at the very least. And people are allowed to simply hire miners off the Internet to boost their score if they really want.

The red line that Rob won't cross is Erfworld itself selling the spins in exchange for paying them money. Technically, an Amazon referral fee isn't you buying something from Erfworld. You're paying Amazon money, and Amazon is in turn giving a small percentage to Erfworld. I know the difference seems academic, but it does avoid a lootbox pay2win type scenario where one person can simply drop $100 bucks in the Erfworld store for a zillion gem spins.

What I mean is that purchasing mining time and getting a more powerful graphics card are all things that have numerous other variables involved including time, performance, etc. By comparison getting spins for Amazon purchases would come down to just one variable: how much was spent.

Still, in truth, I don't really mind. I've never personally been one to feel cheated by pay to win scenarios. But I do worry about the effect it would have on long-term participation. ::shrug:: It's hard to say. And also not my call. :-P

Fear the would-be hero. For against the pangs of conscience, there is no more effective anesthesia than a righteous cause. And no one sees themselves as the villain, especially the villain.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Gems and Mine4Erf