Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Gems and Mine4Erf

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:02 am 
Site Admin
Shiny Red Star This user is a member of Team Erfworld Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Clubs Suit Pip
There's a new section in the mine4erf page, linked at the top, covering anti-virus software we know we have conflicts with, and what I've heard back from them about it. I'm going to keep at communicating with them, but for a lot of them we're going to need guides to manually adding exceptions.

Anyone running one of these pieces of software which conflict with the miner? Anyone running something that needs to be added to this list? If anyone can provide a guide to how to make any of the conflicting AV software work well with mine4erf that I could link from the mine4erf page that'd be very appreciated.

"Everything Is Complicated, Let's Try Anyway."

Site Architect, Developer, Administrator, Moderator, Web Team

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:09 am 
    This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf This user got funny with a rodent This user is a Tool! Shiny Red Star Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins For when you need it most Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Clubs Suit Pip
    Avast Premium

Detects as:
    Code:
    internal.exe         - FileRepMetagen [PUP]
    neoscrypt-opencl.exe - Win32:BitCoinMiner-FR [PUP]

I've created a simple video guide for setting up Mine4Erf with exceptions in Avast Premium. This guide should be applicable to other versions of Avast. If this guide doesn't work for you or doesn't match your version please let me know.

Note: You may not have the Firewall or Sandbox modules. If not simply skip them.

The video can be found here.

Fear the would-be hero. For against the pangs of conscience, there is no more effective anesthesia than a righteous cause. And no one sees themselves as the villain, especially the villain.

Last edited by JadedDragoon on Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
  • Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:22 am 
    Site Admin
    Shiny Red Star This user is a member of Team Erfworld Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Clubs Suit Pip
    Thanks! Added a link from the mine4erf page.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:39 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day For when you need it most Clubs Suit Pip Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Diamonds Suit Pip
    If Windows Defender under Windows 10 gives you trouble:

- Run mine4erf.bat. Ignore the Copy file window for now.
    - Windows Defender should have just given a pop up warning, but the warning can also be found in the bottom right notification window.
    - You have to be quick, Windows Defender will only hold "Current Threats" for so long. (Because this is not a legitimate threat, you can always just rerun the mine4erf.bat.)
    - Open Windows Defender on the Scan History page (clicking on the pop up warning is the easiest method, but you can navigate there).
    - There's 3 headers on this page, Current Threats, Quarantened Threats, Allowed Threats. There should be a trojan warning saying the following: Trojan:Win32/Coinminer!bit.
    - Press the down arrow to allow you to see actions.
    - Select Allow on this device.
    - Press the Start Action button.
    - Press Yes, or Confirm on two more windows (the second only appears if you have VAC still on).
    - Go back to the copy file window.
    - Select Retry.
    - It should run now, but to be safe, rerun mine4erf.bat.

Hope this helps!.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:52 pm 
    Mined 4 Erf This user is a Tool!
    Microsoft Security essentials on windows 7 is not even allowing me to keep a download of 0.4.1 says it is malicious and cleans it before I can even open the zip file.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:56 am 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Tried to run it at the office and Symantec Endpoint Protection and CB Defense both flagged it as having a Trojan: "TR/Agent.jjatj"

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:34 am 
    This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf This user got funny with a rodent This user is a Tool! Shiny Red Star Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins For when you need it most Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Clubs Suit Pip
    This proved to be useful information for Norton Internet Security users who get the miner blocked by the Norton _firewall_. As per this thread here.

Fear the would-be hero. For against the pangs of conscience, there is no more effective anesthesia than a righteous cause. And no one sees themselves as the villain, especially the villain.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:41 pm 
    Site Admin
    I've gotten a response from Norton/Symantec today that they're going to fix their classification to stop calling it a trojan. They *are* going to flag it as a coin miner because they're one of the AV companies which has a blanket policy of warning for coin miners, but apparently this flag behaves different and will prompt and offer the opportunity to choose to run it anyway. What they've told me is:

"Norton Consumer users are prompted to decide whether to trust or uninstall PUA applications.
    Symantec Enterprise users can remove this detection by adding exceptions for Symantec Endpoint Protection as per: https://support.symantec.com/en_US/arti ... 80917.html"

Reportedly this should be done in the next set of AV definitions updates from them.

I'll add Norton and Symantec to the known conflicts list.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:50 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Yahoo Messenger: frankrazorclaw
    Thaddius1000 wrote:
    Microsoft Security essentials on windows 7 is not even allowing me to keep a download of 0.4.1 says it is malicious and cleans it before I can even open the zip file.

My Win10 "can't even download" workaround was to download the app on my smartphone's browser, then move the file to my computer.

Then I just had to give Windows defender permission to let the file run.

Unfortunately, my Surface Pro 4 is not yet compatible.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:01 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Not an AV issue stricltly speaking, but I think this is the right thread.

I noticed that latest version of Chrome (65.0.3325.162) was blocking the download of the Mine4Erf zip file (https://static.erfworld.com/mine4erf.zip)

Google provides a link to site owners to solve this, I let team erf decide if the move is worth it.
    https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/3258249

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:35 pm 
    Site Admin
    I've contacted MS for definition corrections for Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials fixes.

Until they sort it out, it looks like it can show up as "Trojan:Win32/Coinminer!bit" and "Trojan:Win32/Bitrep.A". For Windows Defender if picked up in a regular system scan, you want to click on the threat detection notice you get, and from the actions list, choose "allow on device". This will make an exception for that detection and make it so you can run the miner.

The process for dealing with it on download or in MSE is a bit different- look for a "Threat history" tab and under "Quarantined threats" you should find similar options.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:51 pm 
    Site Admin
    I've added a note about the Chrome warning to the page. Pursuing things with the AV companies to sort this out seems to be the way to get this to stop happening- they all pick up things from each other, and the false positives that did exist seem to have spawned a lot of others that need chasing down.

EDIT: Scratch that, instead I've reverted it to the old mine4erf-bat.zip which contains a mine4erf.bat file temporarily. It does the same thing as the mine4erf.exe, just lacks the icon and isn't signed. But it can do while we straighten things out.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:51 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Thaddius1000 wrote:

JBeshir wrote:
    The process for dealing with it on download or in MSE might be a bit different but if you look for a "Threat history" tab and under "Quarantined threats" you might find similar options.

Yes totally, it happened twice before I could notice the note by MSE. Then I looked into the quarantined items and allowed them (twice, once for erfminer.exe and a second time after its execution when trying to launch the miner which uses internal.exe), disregarding any warning message and blindly trusting Erfworld team! You have to be in admin mode to authorize those items, though.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:15 pm 
    Site Admin
    Zebio wrote:
    Thaddius1000 wrote:

JBeshir wrote:
    The process for dealing with it on download or in MSE might be a bit different but if you look for a "Threat history" tab and under "Quarantined threats" you might find similar options.

Yes totally, it happened twice before I could notice the note by MSE. Then I looked into the quarantined items and allowed them (twice, once for erfminer.exe and a second time after its execution when trying to launch the miner which uses internal.exe), disregarding any warning message and blindly trusting Erfworld team! You have to be in admin mode to authorize those items, though.

Thanks for the confirmation- I've updated the post's wording a little.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:35 am 
    I'm going through the list of Anti Virus and Firewall products to make guides for creating exceptions... Going to make separate posts for each one. I'll only be able to do the free products or the ones that offer a trial, however.

That said, the first one I've done, Arcabit, does not offer any way that I can see to create exceptions. Nor to create custom firewall rules. You have no choice but to delete or quarantine the miner. Arcabit is not even free and yet lacks many of the features standard in free AV products. And it uses an unsigned driver... which makes it not work correctly on 64bit versions of Windows. Frankly, my advice regarding Arcabit is to get a better AV/firewall product.

Arcabit detects internal.exe as "Application.CoinMiner.AV".

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:48 am 
    Site Admin
    My first reaction here was "why is JadedDragoon so awesome". If you do this, it will save me an immense amount of time and be really awesome, thank you!

Don't worry about skipping the non-free ones, and don't feel the need to hit all of them in order- some of them are really obscure ones turned up by checking VirusTotal that we have no particular reason to think anyone who has tried mine4erf has actually tried to use. While others like McAfee and AVG are pretty popular. Doing this is really helpful!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:03 am 
    JBeshir wrote:
    My first reaction here was "why is JadedDragoon so awesome". If you do this, it will save me an immense amount of time and be really awesome, thank you!

Don't worry about skipping the non-free ones, and don't feel the need to hit all of them in order- some of them are really obscure ones turned up by checking VirusTotal that we have no particular reason to think anyone who has tried mine4erf has actually tried to use. While others like McAfee and AVG are pretty popular. Doing this is really helpful!

{-- 8-) {--

Actually, I think you can remove AhnLab-V3 and Antiy-AVL. The former appears to be for network appliances and the latter is android only.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:54 am 
    AVG Internet Security

Detects as:
    Code:
    internal.exe         - FileRepMetagen [PUP]
    neoscrypt-opencl.exe - Win32:BitCoinMiner-FR [PUP]

I've created a simple video guide for setting up Mine4Erf with exceptions in AVG Internet Security. This guide should be applicable to other versions of AVG. If this guide doesn't work for you or doesn't match your version please let me know.

Note: You may not have the Firewall (Hacker Attacks) module. If not simply skip it.

Last edited by JadedDragoon on Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
  • Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:38 am 
    McAfee Total Security

Detects as:
    Code:
    internal.exe         - Suspect!254e760ad0aa
    neoscrypt-opencl.exe - Suspect!bf2f1e0ff738

I've removed the previous guide that was here due to further testing showing that it, ultimately, does not work. McAfee will, due to a bug, ignore all exceptions it is configured with. I have attempted uninstalling and reinstalling McAfee, reinstalling Windows then reinstalling McAfee, different versions of Windows, and countless workarounds and hacks found online. Nothing works.

My final conclusion is this: DO NOT USE MCAFEE. There are many other products to choose from... many of them free... which are much better.

I hope to revisit this problem when I have more time.

Last edited by JadedDragoon on Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:55 am, edited 14 times in total.
  • Tipped by 3 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:14 am 
    ESET Smart Security Premium (NOD32)

Detects as:
    Code:
    internal.exe         - Win64/CoinMiner.FL potentially unwanted program
    neoscrypt-opencl.exe - Win32/CoinMiner.BW potentially unwanted program

I've created a simple video guide for setting up Mine4Erf with ESET Smart Security Premium. This guide should be applicable to other versions of ESET Smart Security as well. If this guide doesn't work for you or doesn't match your version please let me know.

Note: You may not have the Firewall module. If not simply skip it.

Last edited by JadedDragoon on Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Gems and Mine4Erf