Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Gems and Mine4Erf

Post Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:05 pm 
Mined 4 Erf Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
Well I'll try running the card exclusively and kill off the crossfire in my second bios snd see what happens tomorrow.

I mentioned the APU only to more specifically identify my setup vs others with different shared setups.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:42 pm 
    Mined 4 Erf Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
    JadedDragoon wrote:
    But, to be frank, I'd estimate that your dedicated graphics card should be getting 15Mh/s or more by itself. I still think your crossfire setup is holding you back.

I think you may be thinking I have a different card. But, if you honestly think I can get 15Mh/s out of this graphics card, I'm very open to suggestions as to how to make that happen.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:44 am 
    This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf This user got funny with a rodent This user is a Tool! Shiny Red Star Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins For when you need it most Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    mrnegativity78 wrote:
    JadedDragoon wrote:
    But, to be frank, I'd estimate that your dedicated graphics card should be getting 15Mh/s or more by itself. I still think your crossfire setup is holding you back.

I think you may be thinking I have a different card. But, if you honestly think I can get 15Mh/s out of this graphics card, I'm very open to suggestions as to how to make that happen.

Hmm, it's possible I'm overestimating the R7 240's capabilities.

Fear the would-be hero. For against the pangs of conscience, there is no more effective anesthesia than a righteous cause. And no one sees themselves as the villain, especially the villain.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:47 pm 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user got funny with a rodent Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf For when you need it most Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    You just might. AMD used R# specs for generations. R7, R8, R9, RX. And 240 is an 'entry level discreet card' number. Though it's a 'later' R7 version.

I think it's actually doing pretty good, all things considered.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:50 pm 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user got funny with a rodent Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf For when you need it most Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    Got a question, I've got an old work machine that I brought up and is going to get purged soon. Win 7 64 bit etc etc.

It's a beastly oven though, because it has 3x nVidia Quadro FX 4600 graphics cards in it (it had 4 but one died a noble death).

Anyway since it's going 'away' I thought I'd see if I could get the miner to run on it for laughs. Using the latest drivers nvidia gives me, version 'R340 U14 (342.00) whql' (late October 2016) it... doesn't work. Internal.exe crashes and it doesn't even list graphics card, it says it opencl and cuda are not working.

Since I was trying it for the lulz I think it's a lost cause, but I thought I'd check if there was any advice.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:24 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Mined 4 Erf Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits For when you need it most Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    copperhamster wrote:
    ....old work machine...beastly oven...3x nVidia Quadro FX 4600...lost cause

Unfortunately your guess was pretty close. Here's a comparison with a not-top-end-but-decent card for mining at about 25Mh/s:

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nv ... 8232vs3923

Notice the multiple cases of "insanely better/faster" in favor of the RX580....and a user-assigned (guessed) rating score of "51" doesn't really mean it's almost half as good as 105. Sorry.
    3 of that graphics card is still basically 3 times zero. :cry:

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:57 am 
    This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf This user got funny with a rodent This user is a Tool! Shiny Red Star Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins For when you need it most Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    copperhamster wrote:
    Got a question, I've got an old work machine that I brought up and is going to get purged soon. Win 7 64 bit etc etc.

It's a beastly oven though, because it has 3x nVidia Quadro FX 4600 graphics cards in it (it had 4 but one died a noble death).

Anyway since it's going 'away' I thought I'd see if I could get the miner to run on it for laughs. Using the latest drivers nvidia gives me, version 'R340 U14 (342.00) whql' (late October 2016) it... doesn't work. Internal.exe crashes and it doesn't even list graphics card, it says it opencl and cuda are not working.

Since I was trying it for the lulz I think it's a lost cause, but I thought I'd check if there was any advice.

More specifically, the Quatro FX 4600 does not support OpenCL 1.2 or the newer CUDA. It ends support at OpenCL 1.1 and CUDA 1.0. This makes it incompatible with the crypto miners used by Mine4Erf and, I suspect, most of the miners out there.

Fear the would-be hero. For against the pangs of conscience, there is no more effective anesthesia than a righteous cause. And no one sees themselves as the villain, especially the villain.

Last edited by JadedDragoon on Fri May 04, 2018 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:01 am 
    Okay I'll turn my underdesk heater off then. Seriously, this thing pumps out the HEAT.

It's a workstation and actually has an idrac and just idling the idrac says it's pulling more power than my 48 core 192 GB virtual servers which are loaded.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:32 am 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    I've downloaded and started running the Mac miner today (running on a MacBook Pro 2015)... Everything started fine but I did receive this message during the startup:

Code:
     cl  07:20:54|cl-0    |  OpenCL kernel: Stable kernel
     cl  07:20:55|cl-0    |  Build info: <program source>:336:9: warning: comparison of integers of different signs: 'int' and 'const uint' (aka 'const unsigned int')
                    if (i == thread_id)
          ~ ^  ~~~~~~~~~
    <program source>:371:9: warning: comparison of integers of different signs: 'int' and 'const uint' (aka 'const unsigned int')
                    if (i == thread_id)
          ~ ^  ~~~~~~~~~

cl  07:20:55|cl-0    |  Creating light cache buffer, size 18742336

It appears to have continued to run without issue though after that but thought I'd point it out.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:34 am 
    OverSeer wrote:
    I've downloaded and started running the Mac miner today (running on a MacBook Pro 2015)... Everything started fine but I did receive this message during the startup:

Code:
     cl  07:20:54|cl-0    |  OpenCL kernel: Stable kernel
     cl  07:20:55|cl-0    |  Build info: <program source>:336:9: warning: comparison of integers of different signs: 'int' and 'const uint' (aka 'const unsigned int')
                    if (i == thread_id)
          ~ ^  ~~~~~~~~~
    <program source>:371:9: warning: comparison of integers of different signs: 'int' and 'const uint' (aka 'const unsigned int')
                    if (i == thread_id)
          ~ ^  ~~~~~~~~~

cl  07:20:55|cl-0    |  Creating light cache buffer, size 18742336

It appears to have continued to run without issue though after that but thought I'd point it out.

Yeah, that shouldn't be a problem if it's working.

Technobabble Follows
    It looks like it's comparing a signed integer to an unsigned integer. While that's not a good programming practice, it likely should work. The problem will be if the signed integer goes negative (which may never happen) or the unsigned integer goes higher than the signed integer can handle (which also may never happen). More than likely the developers are aware of that discrepancy and don't see it as something that needs an immediate fix... which likely means you'll be fine.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:23 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Good news, the Mine4Erf client no longer makes my AV unhappy.

Bad news, the pause functionality appears to be slightly broken. When I hit 0 to pause mining, it stops mining, but I can't get it to start mining again without restarting the client. According to the webpage, I should be able to restart it by pressing any key, but it doesn't appear to have any effect. The client does appear to receive jobs while paused, but it certainly isn't maxing out my GPU.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:40 pm 
    DeltaGeek wrote:
    Good news, the Mine4Erf client no longer makes my AV unhappy.

Bad news, the pause functionality appears to be slightly broken. When I hit 0 to pause mining, it stops mining, but I can't get it to start mining again without restarting the client. According to the webpage, I should be able to restart it by pressing any key, but it doesn't appear to have any effect. The client does appear to receive jobs while paused, but it certainly isn't maxing out my GPU.

You now have to press the Enter key to start it back. No other key will work with 0.5.0 paused.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:06 am 
    Site Admin
    Shiny Red Star This user is a member of Team Erfworld Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
    Thanks for pointing this out- I've updated the mine4erf page to specifically say to press enter rather than "any key" now. The new miner does indeed require an enter.

EDIT: And now with 0.5.6 it doesn't again.

"Everything Is Complicated, Let's Try Anyway."

Site Architect, Developer, Administrator, Moderator, Web Team

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Gems and Mine4Erf