Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Gems and Mine4Erf

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:00 pm 
Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins This user got funny with a rodent Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
Imrahil wrote:
This morning, I rebooted my machine, and when it started back up I began getting an error message. I've attached a screenshot of it. I tried googling the error and couldn't come up with anything helpful. I've tried extracting the Mine-4-Erf files in a different directory, excluding the files from my McAfee Antivirus, turning off Antivirus entirely, and a few other random thing like checking folder permissions.

Any thoughts on something else I might be missing? If I select 'skip' I get an error message that no CUDA/OpenCL devices could be found, but this has been working fine up until my latest reboot. I'm assuming that error is because of the missing 'internal.exe' file?

Delete the folder you extracted the zip into, then re-extract.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:27 pm 
    Mined 4 Erf Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    Yep, that was the first thing I tried after googling the error. Even tried a different folder in a different file system location.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:48 pm 
    Site Admin
    Shiny Red Star This user is a member of Team Erfworld Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Clubs Suit Pip
    Hmm, this is strange. I know of that error happening if you try to run it while it's already running (it'll try to update the already running miner), but I don't know why you'd see it on a first run in a new directory.

Do I understand right that the internal.exe is not being extracted and appearing in the directory at all? That does sound like an AV issue, nothing in the way that would stop it, but I didn't know of a problem McAfee had with it, and it sounds like you've already tried. I'll see if there's something which helps and get back on it.

"Everything Is Complicated, Let's Try Anyway."

Site Architect, Developer, Administrator, Moderator, Web Team

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:06 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Mined 4 Erf Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day For when you need it most
    JBeshir wrote:
    Do I understand right that the internal.exe is not being extracted and appearing in the directory at all? That does sound like an AV issue, nothing in the way that would stop it, but I didn't know of a problem McAfee had with it, and it sounds like you've already tried. I'll see if there's something which helps and get back on it.

I have noticed that Windows Defender, in the last week or so, has decided that the specific coin miner is malware. One needs to make sure they exclude the directory that they store the miner in from the Windows Defender scans.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:04 pm 
    Yeah, I disabled Windows Defender because it caused false positives with quite a few things and I tend to practice safe hex so it's less of an issue. I only even have McAfee because my wife... doesn't. ;)

You're correct that Internal.exe is not being extracted properly. It shows up briefly in the directory and then disappears quickly. I'll tinker with it a bit more to see if I can figure anything out but I tried turning off real-time scanning entirely and it was still happening. I'm checking through settings now to see if there's anything else indicative in Win10 that might have changed.

Edit: I found that McAfee had Quarantined the INTERNAL.EXE file. I restored it and added it to my exclusion list but it's still doing the same "appear and then quickly disappear" thing. I haven't found any other processes that might be flagging it and removing it but I'll keep digging when I have some time.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:23 am 
    This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf This user got funny with a rodent This user is a Tool! Shiny Red Star Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins For when you need it most Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Clubs Suit Pip
    Imrahil wrote:
    Spoiler: show
    Yeah, I disabled Windows Defender because it caused false positives with quite a few things and I tend to practice safe hex so it's less of an issue. I only even have McAfee because my wife... doesn't. ;)

You're correct that Internal.exe is not being extracted properly. It shows up briefly in the directory and then disappears quickly. I'll tinker with it a bit more to see if I can figure anything out but I tried turning off real-time scanning entirely and it was still happening. I'm checking through settings now to see if there's anything else indicative in Win10 that might have changed.

Edit: I found that McAfee had Quarantined the INTERNAL.EXE file. I restored it and added it to my exclusion list but it's still doing the same "appear and then quickly disappear" thing. I haven't found any other processes that might be flagging it and removing it but I'll keep digging when I have some time.

Avast needs exceptions added in two different places. Could McAffee be the same?

Fear the would-be hero. For against the pangs of conscience, there is no more effective anesthesia than a righteous cause. And no one sees themselves as the villain, especially the villain.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:02 am 
    Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins This user is a Tool! Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Imrahil wrote:

I just got done fighting with this myself yesterday. I had McAfee whitelist both the INTERNAL.EXE and internal.bat, downloaded a fresh version manually (you can find out where the mine4erf.bat gets it with a text editor like notepad++) and extracted it with 7zip as the built-in extractor decided to turn into a crap golem suddenly. I did this while leaving the old copy in quarantine, as they're both the same file, I just got tired of the back-and-fourth of getting it out of quarantine. So far it seems to be cooperating, though it does remove the automation of updating the miner. Of course, I also have to make sure I run internal.bat to get the miner running again, not mine4erf.bat or internal.exe.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:53 am 
    Jsuelieta wrote:
    I just got done fighting with this myself yesterday. I had McAfee whitelist both the INTERNAL.EXE and internal.bat, downloaded a fresh version manually (you can find out where the mine4erf.bat gets it with a text editor like notepad++) and extracted it with 7zip as the built-in extractor decided to turn into a crap golem suddenly. I did this while leaving the old copy in quarantine, as they're both the same file, I just got tired of the back-and-fourth of getting it out of quarantine. So far it seems to be cooperating, though it does remove the automation of updating the miner. Of course, I also have to make sure I run internal.bat to get the miner running again, not mine4erf.bat or internal.exe.

This got me on the right track - but whether I used the shell unzip utility or 7-zip, the file would immediately disappear from the directory if it was extracted with the filename 'internal.exe'. I had to rename it in my archive (I called it 'internal.exel'), then extract and rename it to the proper extension. Then, if I run the mine4erf.bat, it tries to re-extract it and of course the file disappears. Like you said, I have to run internal.bat directly to get the miner running. Crazy thing is - internal.exe is not showing up in my McAfee quarantine list since I restored the file yesterday and I even re-enabled Windows Defender to exclude my Mine4Erf directory. I have no clue what's bamfing the internal.exe file, i just know my PC is pissing me off today... :lol:

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:16 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Ruler of Erfworld This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day For when you need it most Diamonds Suit Pip
    Same issue, but couldn't figure out how to make my free trial of Mcafee stop blocking it. Since the laptop's sole purpose is the mine, mcafee got the boot!

and as soon as it was gone, everything is working just fine!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:57 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Mined 4 Erf Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits For when you need it most Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Clubs Suit Pip Diamonds Suit Pip
    Just in case anyone reading is running MalwareBytes for their A/V - the premium install of MB will silently quarantine internal.exe every time, unless the user disables "Automatic Quarantine" which is apparently on by default (which actually makes sense as a default for Joe User).

Specifics to fix: Open MalwareBytes, select "Settings" then the "Protection" tab, scroll down near the bottom and look for "Automatic Quarantine".

Feedback on the default options etc. for the Erfworld miner compared to running ethminer.exe directly from a batch file - it appears I'm losing the 2-3% increase I found with some tweaks over the last week, but at the same time my PC is now usable while mining at 26Mh/sec where before it was at ~27.5 and almost unusable even for web browsing/typing. I'm sticking with the batch file for now - thanks JBeshir (and others) for your work on this.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:33 am 
    Site Admin
    Shiny Red Star This user is a member of Team Erfworld Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Clubs Suit Pip
    Thanks! I'll see about merging that info into a guide for Malwarebytes if we get one.

"Everything Is Complicated, Let's Try Anyway."

Site Architect, Developer, Administrator, Moderator, Web Team

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Gems and Mine4Erf