Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Gems and Mine4Erf

Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:18 am 
Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
Before I do those steps, I'm going to update my graphics drivers and test again since I see an update is available. Here's what happens on x.11 under the same settings as my x.9 test:

Code:
--------------------
Mine4Erf 0.3.11-beta
--------------------
We have detected a GeForce GTX 9xx card!
If you haven't already, you may get 2-3x the shares by enabling 'Optimize for compute performance'
This option is in the nVidia Control Panel, listed under 'Manage 3D Options', if available.

Enter Erfworld username: Tathar
Run automatically on startup? Run again and choose N at this prompt to remove later. (Y/N): N
Mining for Erfworld! Thank you Tathar!

SUCCESS: Specified value was saved.

SUCCESS: Specified value was saved.
--------------------------------------------------
Graphics Cards (Please include in any bug report!)

Listing OpenCL devices.
FORMAT: [platformID] [deviceID] deviceName
[0] [0] GeForce GTX 970
        CL_DEVICE_TYPE: GPU
        CL_DEVICE_GLOBAL_MEM_SIZE: 4294967296
        CL_DEVICE_MAX_MEM_ALLOC_SIZE: 1073741824
        CL_DEVICE_MAX_WORK_GROUP_SIZE: 1024

Listing CUDA devices.
FORMAT: [deviceID] deviceName
[0] GeForce GTX 970
        Compute version: 5.2
        cudaDeviceProp::totalGlobalMem: 4294967296
        Pci: 0000:01:00
Starting with parameters:  -U --cuda-streams 1 --cuda-grid-size 1024 --cuda-block-size 128
You can override these parameters by adding a hardware-detect-override.txt file to the miner's folder.
  m  07:14:29|main    |  ethminer version 0.14.0.dev2
  m  07:14:29|main    |  Build: Windows/msvc / Release
 cu  07:14:29|main    |  Using grid size 1024 , block size 128
  m  07:14:29|main    |   Press 0 to pause mining!
  m  07:14:29|main    |  not-connected
  i  07:14:29|stratum |  Connected to eu1.ethermine.org
  i  07:14:29|stratum |  Spinning up miners...
  i  07:14:29|cuda-0  |  No work. Pause for 3 s.
  i  07:14:29|stratum |  Subscribed to stratum server
  i  07:14:29|stratum |  Authorized worker 0xB6dE5c4849f5b48fcE48a4531aa8a0f85a12f027.107658
  i  07:14:29|stratum |  Received new job #fc60a7df from eu1.ethermine.org
  i  07:14:30|stratum |  Received new job #62b7b38c from eu1.ethermine.org
  i  07:14:32|cuda-0  |  Initialising miner 0
  m  07:14:34|main    |  Speed   0.00 Mh/s    gpu/0  0.00 0C 0%   [A0+0:R0+0:F0] Time: 00:00
 cu  07:14:34|cuda-0  |  Using device: GeForce GTX 970  (Compute 5.2)
 cu  07:14:34|cuda-0  |  Set Device to current
 cu  07:14:34|cuda-0  |  Resetting device
QUIT - Restarting in 60 seconds...
You can close this terminal if you want to stop running mine4erf.

Waiting for 48 seconds, press a key to continue ...
  m  07:14:47|main    |  ethminer version 0.14.0.dev2
  m  07:14:47|main    |  Build: Windows/msvc / Release
 cu  07:14:47|main    |  Using grid size 1024 , block size 128
  m  07:14:47|main    |   Press 0 to pause mining!
  m  07:14:47|main    |  not-connected
  i  07:14:47|stratum |  Connected to eu1.ethermine.org
  i  07:14:47|stratum |  Spinning up miners...
  i  07:14:47|cuda-0  |  No work. Pause for 3 s.
  i  07:14:47|stratum |  Subscribed to stratum server
  i  07:14:48|stratum |  Authorized worker 0xB6dE5c4849f5b48fcE48a4531aa8a0f85a12f027.107658
  i  07:14:48|stratum |  Received new job #72ea8ce2 from eu1.ethermine.org
  i  07:14:50|cuda-0  |  Initialising miner 0
  m  07:14:52|main    |  Speed   0.00 Mh/s    gpu/0  0.00 0C 0%   [A0+0:R0+0:F0] Time: 00:00
 cu  07:14:52|cuda-0  |  Using device: GeForce GTX 970  (Compute 5.2)
 cu  07:14:52|cuda-0  |  Set Device to current
 cu  07:14:52|cuda-0  |  Resetting device
QUIT - Restarting in 60 seconds...
You can close this terminal if you want to stop running mine4erf.

Waiting for 59 seconds, press a key to continue ...

UPDATE: I let the countdown pass and it's able to mine before I installed the driver update. Still updating though.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:48 am 
    Site Admin
    Shiny Red Star This user is a member of Team Erfworld Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Clubs Suit Pip
    I've taken a crack at fixing the keeps-needing-to-restart issue by changing the exit-on-fault behaviour to only happen for the specific kind of fault I knew it was needed for- might be worth seeing if the latest version helps any.

"Everything Is Complicated, Let's Try Anyway."

Site Architect, Developer, Administrator, Moderator, Web Team

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:42 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Latest version only works if I turn off Optimize for Compute Performance. Otherwise it goes into a quit loop.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:00 am 
    Site Admin
    Shiny Red Star This user is a member of Team Erfworld Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Clubs Suit Pip
    Okay, I think I understand now. The old versions used to use -G on the 970, and then 0.3.8 or so switched to using -U because it is faster. But, on your machine and maybe others, if you turn Optimise for compute performance on *and* pass -U, it breaks.

I have heard that "Optimise for compute performance" doesn't do any good if you're using -G anyway, so the sensible approach might be to leave it using -U and just add a note that some people find that the Optimise for compute performance tweak breaks the miner, and they should leave it off, to the notice it shows.

But I don't trust that information- maybe it does help even if -G is used. In that case, we should probably switch back to using -G on 9xx cards, because the "Optimise for compute performance" thing is a much bigger deal when it works.

I have a decent idea what it should be for the 970 with "Optimise for compute performance" working properly- at least 8MH/s or so. And without it, more like 2-3MH/s.

So to work out which fix to use, it'd be helpful if you added a hardware-detect-override.txt file containing -G, turned on the optimise thing, and then let me know what your hashrate was, so I can work out the way to fix this which will make it work best on your system and those like it.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:36 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf This user is a Tool! Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    With those settings, I am presently running roughly 6.2 Mh/s.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:17 am 
    Site Admin
    Thank you for the data point!

That's interesting. Seems like -G with the option is not *as* good as -U with the option, but much better than only having -U. This means it's worth trying to work out the underlying cause or a fix, because really we want -U and the option where possible, and -G and the option where not.

I've been doing some research into this, looking for people with similar issues. There's reports that there's a "DSR" option above the "Optimize for compute" option which can fix some issues when using that option.

If you're willing to keep helping me try to improve the miner and share find rates for everyone, because I really do appreciate all the time you're putting into this, could you try seeing if that option exists, and if so, changing it to 1.2x or 2.0x, and trying putting -U in the override file or using the miner without the file?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:49 am 
    Overriding to -G does allow Optimize for Compute Performance. I'm up from 2.7 to 8.7, like with version 0.3.7.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:39 am 
    Site Admin
    Okay. I'm loathe to switch back to -G, because it was causing some problems with freezing for a moment here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=14241

But tentatively what I'll do as soon as I can finish up what I'm doing right now is make it always use -G on the 970, since that seems to be the one with this particular issue, unless I get reports that changing the DSR option to 1.2 or 2.0 fixes it.

EDIT: Now published as 0.3.14.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:39 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf This user is a Tool! Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    I do not have a DSR option under my 970m control panel.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:45 am 
    Site Admin
    Okay. I've had to go for a more complicated, bigger but hopefully more robust and general solution. We now have a system to detect if the miner fails to start, and if it does, try it with a different config automatically. We use this to try using -U, then if that fails, switch to -G automatically. This should hopefully solve things in a way that works for everyone.

Thanks for all your help in refining this, everyone. I'm hopeful that your work will mean it "just works" for more people in future.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:17 pm 
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins This user got funny with a rodent Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Weird security issue occurred. Despite an exception being programmed into AVG it threw up an alert earlier, i told it to OK it but then it kept blocking some sort of file copy. I ended up having to deleted everything but the original zip and re-extracting it. Not sure what was going on there. But thought you should be aware of it.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:19 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Ruler of Erfworld
    I experimented a little and here are some GTX 980 results:
    Mh/s numbers are the apparent median average after observing it for several minutes.

past baselines:
    0.3.7 computation optmimization (compuopt) turned on: 8,88 Mh/s
    0.3.7 non-optimized (non-opt): 2,74Mh/s

results with the current version:
    0.3.15 compuopt, dsr off: get stuck in a quit-loop
    0.3.15 compuopt, dsr1.2x: 8,56Mh/s
    0.3.15 non-opt, dsr2.0x: 2,68Mh/s
    0.3.15 compuopt, dsr off, override -g: 8,88Mh/s
    0.3.15 compuopt, dsr1.2x, override -g: 8,85Mh/s
    0.3.15 compuopt, dsr2.0x, override -g: 8,74Mh/s

A small annoyance with DSR is that I can only toggle it in the global settings of the nVidia Control Panel and not in the program-specific settings for internal.exe

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:28 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Carl wrote:
    Weird security issue occurred. Despite an exception being programmed into AVG it threw up an alert earlier, i told it to OK it but then it kept blocking some sort of file copy. I ended up having to deleted everything but the original zip and re-extracting it. Not sure what was going on there. But thought you should be aware of it.

I have Avast and when I run the miner it detects the internal.exe file as virus infected and boots it to my virus chest. If I disable some shields it will run just fine however.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:10 am 
    Site Admin
    Knott wrote:
    I experimented a little and here are some GTX 980 results:
    Mh/s numbers are the apparent median average after observing it for several minutes.

results with the current version:
    0.3.15 compuopt, dsr off: get stuck in a quit-loop
    0.3.15 compuopt, dsr off, override -g: 8,88Mh/s

Thanks for all the testing! This makes some sense to me- a little odd that DSR seems to slow things down relative to no DSR and -G, but not too shocking given how relatively close they are.

The quoted bits strike me as a bit strange in a way that suggests I might be able to improve things- if it fails out within a minute, it should switch -G on automatically on the second start in 0.3.15, but it seems like that's not happening for you. Do you know if there was a blank hardware-detect-override.txt, or if it was taking more than a minute to quit, or anything that might be a hint there? Or maybe a log of it getting stuck in a quit loop would let me work out why it's doing that for you.

On the security complaint, yeah, we're working towards a way of convincing AV and Windows Defender that Erfworld is trustable, but it takes paperwork and time and I don't know if we'll see a fix this week.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:02 am 
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins This user got funny with a rodent Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    delmoth wrote:
    Carl wrote:

I have Avast and when I run the miner it detects the internal.exe file as virus infected and boots it to my virus chest. If I disable some shields it will run just fine however.

Well thats the point, i had an exception programmed in telling it to ignore everything in that folder. So i don't understand why it went off. It's been running repeatedly since the miner came out with no issues and had been run just a few hours prior no problem).

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:26 pm 
    This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf This user got funny with a rodent This user is a Tool! Shiny Red Star Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins For when you need it most Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Clubs Suit Pip
    Carl wrote:
    delmoth wrote:
    Carl wrote:

Well thats the point, i had an exception programmed in telling it to ignore everything in that folder. So i don't understand why it went off. It's been running repeatedly since the miner came out with no issues and had been run just a few hours prior no problem).

I ran into this yesterday. There are two separate passive monitors in Avast that can potentially trip with Mine4Erf. The "File Shield" and the "Behavior Shield". You need to add exceptions to both. AVG? Well... I hate AVG. It's the only AV products I actively tell my clients to avoid. So I'm of a mind that it probably is just malfunctioning. But I suppose the newer versions of AVG might need multiple exceptions same as Avast.

Fear the would-be hero. For against the pangs of conscience, there is no more effective anesthesia than a righteous cause. And no one sees themselves as the villain, especially the villain.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:22 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins This user got funny with a rodent This user is a Tool! Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    I've been getting a new error message on the new update:

FAULT: OpenCL and CUDA are not working on your system. We see a graphics card, but can't talk to it.
    This might be caused by a driver crash, or out of date drivers.
    Try rebooting or updating your driver, and please let us know on the Erfworld forums so we can improve the miner:
    viewforum.php?f=34

Thank you for attempting to mine4erf! Unfortunately it looks like we don't support your hardware (yet).
    CAN'T MINE: OpenCL and CUDA are not working on your system - can't talk to your graphics card

which is weird because previous builds worked just fine. Also, Internal.exe is now triggering my Malware protection. I cannot seem to mark it as good.

EDIT: Avast hates all of it now... So yeah Disabling it fixes it.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:12 pm 
    This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf This user got funny with a rodent This user is a Tool! Shiny Red Star Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins For when you need it most Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Clubs Suit Pip
    Morsious wrote:

FAULT: OpenCL and CUDA are not working on your system. We see a graphics card, but can't talk to it.
    Try rebooting or updating your driver, and please let us know on the Erfworld forums so we can improve the miner:
    viewforum.php?f=34

Thank you for attempting to mine4erf! Unfortunately it looks like we don't support your hardware (yet).
    CAN'T MINE: OpenCL and CUDA are not working on your system - can't talk to your graphics card

which is weird because previous builds worked just fine. Also, Internal.exe is now triggering my Malware protection. I cannot seem to mark it as good.

Need to add two exceptions in Avast... one in the file shield and one in the behavior shield, since I have Avast I'll make a guide.

EDIT: Da Guide: https://youtu.be/Ianmx-DtyeQ

Fear the would-be hero. For against the pangs of conscience, there is no more effective anesthesia than a righteous cause. And no one sees themselves as the villain, especially the villain.

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:12 am 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    JadedDragoon wrote:
    Morsious wrote:

viewforum.php?f=34

Need to add two exceptions in Avast... one in the file shield and one in the behavior shield, since I have Avast I'll make a guide.

EDIT: Da Guide: https://youtu.be/Ianmx-DtyeQ

Works great now thanks for the guide!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:00 am 
    Mined 4 Erf Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    This morning, I rebooted my machine, and when it started back up I began getting an error message. I've attached a screenshot of it. I tried googling the error and couldn't come up with anything helpful. I've tried extracting the Mine-4-Erf files in a different directory, excluding the files from my McAfee Antivirus, turning off Antivirus entirely, and a few other random thing like checking folder permissions.

Any thoughts on something else I might be missing? If I select 'skip' I get an error message that no CUDA/OpenCL devices could be found, but this has been working fine up until my latest reboot. I'm assuming that error is because of the missing 'internal.exe' file?

Attachments:
    Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG [ 11.49 KiB | Viewed 505 times ]
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Gems and Mine4Erf