Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Your Things » Your Games

Post subject: Empires X.2 Rules Draft
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:08 am 
This user has been published!
RULES VERSION 1.2.4

CURRENT ITERATION ABOVE

Hi Folks,

As mentioned in the other thread, here's the draft for the next version of Empires X.

Draft Rules

Please have a read and make comment.

Changes include:
*Production System
*Number of Commands
*Unit Design (a bit)
*Added a section on Mancers
*Probably lots of other things

All forumites welcome to comment, not just those involved in the Erflia campaign.
Erflia will continue using X.1 until its conclusion.

Cheers!

Last edited by LTD on Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:58 am 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary This user posted the comment of the month
    I'm reading over the rules right now, and here are my opening comments in a stream-of-thought kind of thing.

I notice the city rules are redesigned by quite a bit. This changes a lot of how it works, both for players and brain-dead GM. You never explain however what these new walls and fortifications 'do'. Is it still +2 to defense per? That might be a little high depending how it works out.

You removed the idea of there existing any specials at all that can be taken more than twice a side, was this intentional?

I brought Acid Breath down to -1.5 rather than -2 in my version. Though we could keep it at -2 for braindead GM rule, it might be a little powerful still at this marker and might need some other kind of nerf to compensate. Breath Weapons are something that'll need to be worked out over the course of the draft, so this is hardly a concern for now. Loads of time until it actually needs to be kicked into gear.

I still feel like Mithwil Armor is slightly underpowered, but this is perhaps not the worst thing given how defenses work. I love how the ruler and heir get it as a touch.

I seriously appreciate the way that character pops and unit generation pops are automated, that way players don't have to state it every turn, and the GM doesn't have to go and check what production is on this turn-it's just all automatic.

Major cutting down of the amount of Commands available to players, I'm not sure how I feel about this. Depends on the scale of the game I suppose, perhaps if this is how it'll work commands might scale linearly rather than exponentially with court size.

Does the Chief Warlord bonus apply in excess to the 30%? Aka can it bring it up to 35%?

Sounds like you're making Royal a real thing here. I wonder what other benefits Royal sides will have.

Units

Every side can produce a number of units. You choose the fluff and builds for each type when the game beings. *i think this should be Begins, not Beings*

I suddenly have an urge to try to come up with a whole host of other Casters.

So those're my first thoughts as I look through it all.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:37 am 

Last edited by GWvsJohn on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:19 am 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary This user posted the comment of the month
    I understand your point about the G classes, but I feel like if we can avoid fractional popping at all it'd be much easier for both us and dave. Also, remember that a cities production is locked in at each level. Under the current rules it's impossible for a city to produce more than 2 G classes each turn.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:57 am 

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:03 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    GWvsJohn wrote:
    Oh, interesting. I hadn't noticed that. Each city pops the same units every turn. No matter what? Not sure how I feel about that

Not the same. You could have a city devoted exclusively to low-level units. There's just a cap on how much production you can expend on higher-level units. I suppose this helps the issue of "why would anyone use basic infantry". It also helps give a tech advantage. In the current system, a level 4 city has as much barracks space as 4 level 1s. In the future system, the same applies, but the level 4 can produce more powerful units with that space.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:07 pm 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    I think Cities might need a little work personally. I like the Scout Idea. I like the section on casters but I think that It could use a little expanding. There are lots of Awesome specials and the Units are definitely neat and each can be extremely original.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:27 pm 

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:19 pm 
    I also really like the fact that the A and B deigns were combined. Makes it so that both are really properly usable, cause the A design was a bit extremely lacking before.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:57 pm 
    From SeraphRedux:

I notice the city rules are redesigned by quite a bit. This changes a lot of how it works, both for players and brain-dead GM. You never explain however what these new walls and fortifications 'do'. Is it still +2 to defense per? That might be a little high depending how it works out.

ME: Yes, still +2. I've added a sentence to that effect.

You removed the idea of there existing any specials at all that can be taken more than twice a side, was this intentional?

ME: Yes - I did have common, exclusive, complex, comples exclusive and G-class, but this seemed better. Not every unit can fly or be ranged. If someone really wants to make a side of heavies I guess I can make an exception...

I brought Acid Breath down to -1.5 rather than -2 in my version. Though we could keep it at -2 for braindead GM rule, it might be a little powerful still at this marker and might need some other kind of nerf to compensate. Breath Weapons are something that'll need to be worked out over the course of the draft, so this is hardly a concern for now. Loads of time until it actually needs to be kicked into gear.

ME: Yes, I like your list better as well. Costing can be argued out as we go.

I still feel like Mithwil Armor is slightly underpowered, but this is perhaps not the worst thing given how defenses work. I love how the ruler and heir get it as a touch.

ME: it is meant to ridiculous. I guess it could be +2 to defence.

I seriously appreciate the way that character pops and unit generation pops are automated, that way players don't have to state it every turn, and the GM doesn't have to go and check what production is on this turn-it's just all automatic.

ME: Yes. Braindead GM at work. Though I might need to add in a morale penalty if players just disband excess courtiers.

Major cutting down of the amount of Commands available to players, I'm not sure how I feel about this. Depends on the scale of the game I suppose, perhaps if this is how it'll work commands might scale linearly rather than exponentially with court size.

ME: Scouts don't need a command, so it is only a real reduction of 1. Maybe the Court could be like the cost of defence rather than squared - 1 gives 1, 3 give 2, 6 give 3, 10 give 4... I imagine there is a word for that.

Does the Chief Warlord bonus apply in excess to the 30%? Aka can it bring it up to 35%?

ME: Yes - I've added a sentence to that effect.

Sounds like you're making Royal a real thing here. I wonder what other benefits Royal sides will have.

ME: Royals can't designate heirs - they have to be popped. I'd love other suggestions on how to differentiate the royal divide.

Every side can produce a number of units. You choose the fluff and builds for each type when the game beings. *i think this should be Begins, not Beings*

ME: Fixed. Good spotting. I'll send you a copy of my essays for proofing.

I suddenly have an urge to try to come up with a whole host of other Casters.

ME: Please do. There are lots of type of caster out there...

I also really like the fact that the A and B deigns were combined. Makes it so that both are really properly usable, cause the A design was a bit extremely lacking before.

ME: Yes.

From GWvsJohn:

How is Defense calculated? Is it based solely on the number of units? Or is it weighted by hits?

ME: Number of units. Not weighted. Far too complicated.

Right now I can see that Royal sides get the benefit of popping heirs. I don't see any benefit to being an Overlord side.

ME: They can designate heirs in the off turn. I'd like more suggestions of other benefits. Maybe they can ally with certain natives?

In general I like SR's breath weapons. I think with some minor tweaks they would be perfect.

ME: I agree.

The one change I would suggest would be to pop rates. Instead of 5/3/2/1 for AB/CDE/F/G, I would make it 5/2/1/0.5. Type G are extremely powerful. A level 5 popping out 5/turn is crazy.

ME: This is dealt with by others in the thread, but to clarify - A level 5 can at most pop out 2 Gs per turn. And a side can only have one level 5 city each.

From Grand Diplomat:

I think Cities might need a little work personally.

ME: Suggestions?

I like the Scout Idea.

ME: Thanks.

I like the section on casters but I think that It could use a little expanding.

ME: Happy for suggestions for other casters.

There are lots of Awesome specials and the Units are definitely neat and each can be extremely original.

ME: Yes, lots, but we can always have more. Suggestions welcome.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:05 am 
    Continuation of ideas and thoughts. Post is bloated to a large size, but I did my best to keep it a workable size.

LTDave wrote:
    From SeraphRedux:

ME: Yes, still +2. I've added a sentence to that effect.

ME: it is meant to ridiculous. I guess it could be +2 to defense.

I do wonder a bit how many levels of walls and defenses and such you can get, and how high it's possible to stack the defense of a thing in the system. I feel like there should be a high cap of 10 or so on defenses, regardless of other factors.

LTDave wrote:

ME: Yes - I did have common, exclusive, complex, comples exclusive and G-class, but this seemed better. Not every unit can fly or be ranged. If someone really wants to make a side of heavies I guess I can make an exception…

Perhaps there could be an option at Side Creation that gives all of your designs a particular special by default. It'd need some sort of cost imposed, though.

LTDave wrote:

ME: Scouts don't need a command, so it is only a real reduction of 1. Maybe the Court could be like the cost of defence rather than squared - 1 gives 1, 3 give 2, 6 give 3, 10 give 4... I imagine there is a word for that.

Oh, I didn't see that Scouting stopped costing an action. Excellent. I also agree with that method of scaling up commands. Makes it much more reasonable in terms of fluidity of Court.

LTDave wrote:
    GWvsJohn: The one change I would suggest would be to pop rates. Instead of 5/3/2/1 for AB/CDE/F/G, I would make it 5/2/1/0.5. Type G are extremely powerful. A level 5 popping out 5/turn is crazy.

ME: This is dealt with by others in the thread, but to clarify - A level 5 can at most pop out 2 Gs per turn. And a side can only have one level 5 city each.

On this subject, is there a reason the D and E designs need to be different? Can they be homogenized like A/B was, or is there a reason to keep them separate?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:12 am 
    I've got some ideas for casters

Shockamancy
    Zap! - Deals 30 first strike damage when defending
    Store - Stores 15 first strike damage that an intelligent unit may use when the city is attacked. A city may have up to 15 damage/level of tower stored at any given time

Wierdomancy
    Bestow - Give a stack of units a special for X turns
    Remove - Takes away a special from an attack of opposing units for the duration of the turn

Dittomancy
    Duplicate - Creates a copy of an intelligent unit that lasts until the end of the turn
    Serve - Doubles the amount of first fire attacks you are given

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:48 am 
    Bahamut wrote:
    Shockamancy
    Zap! - Deals 30 first strike damage when defending
    Store - Stores 15 first strike damage that an intelligent unit may use when the city is attacked. A city may have up to 15 damage/level of tower stored at any given time

Hatamancer
    Pull something out of the hat: Create blast scroll – 30 ranged combat
    Millinery: Create a pair of two-way hats to allow communication between powers without character units present

Currently the Hatamancer is strictly better. Whatever the Shockamancer gets, it should probably involve Flash ♥ or Stun! or something. (Considering calling dibs on shockamancer even though I have no idea what i'd do with it yet cause it's my favorite mancy). Maybe able to be Bottled into a scroll too. Your idea is nice, it's just that Hatamancer already does both of your ideas combined into one spell.

Bahamut wrote:
    Weirdomancy
    Bestow - Give a stack of units a special for X turns
    Remove - Takes away a special from an attack of opposing units for the duration of the turn

Interesting thoughts with giving specials, might need some limitations on what specials to give and to what units, though not sure how many units Remove takes it from. It also might need modifications to fit the Braindead Rule.

Also I feel like you should b able to give and remove specials from allies and enemies. Like say removing the Heavy social from a troop, or the Garrison special from a troop for a turn, in order to Transport them.

Bahamut wrote:
    Dittomancy
    Duplicate - Creates a copy of an intelligent unit that lasts until the end of the turn
    Serve - Doubles the amount of first fire attacks you are given

Duplicate should be something that can copy any unit, not just a intelligent unit (and perhaps an enemy unit too). Serve is a pretty fun idea though.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:25 am 
    Damage stored in towers seems to be specifically for when a city is attacked by flying units.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:07 am 
    Some changes for unit design, and particularly siege:

Units
    Every side can produce a number of units. You choose the fluff and builds for each type when the game begins.
    A list of units your cities can pop follows. Unit stats are in the form of:
    Hits/Combat/Defence/Move (Riders)
    Each unit has a number of customization points and an upkeep per turn. During creation every unit gets a number of points you can use to customize your units. All units start with 1 hit, 1 combat, 1 defence, and 6 move.
    ● Increase Hits and Combat by 1 for every point spent.
    ● Increase Move by 1 for every two points spent
    ● Increase Defence for the cost of the value of the next level. Def 1 is free. To increase from Def 1 to Def 2 costs 2 points. To increase from Def 2 to Def 3 costs 3 points. So, to increase from Def 1 to Def 6 costs 20 points. Def value may not exceed 6.
    ● Units can purchase specials from the appropriate list
    ● A unit with>15 hits is always “heavy”, but doesn’t gain additional benefit from it (it cannot ride on Mounts)

Unit Templates
    Unit A: Infantry – 20 points to spend (up to two specials) (20S)
    Unit B: Infantry – 20 points to spend (up to two specials) (20S)
    Unit C: Knight – 40 points to spend (up to three specials) (50s)
    Unit D: Beast – 30 points (up to three specials) (40s)
    Unit E: Beast – 30 points (up to three specials) (40s)
    Ship of War - 50 points (no specials) (40s) A ship can hold an amount of light units equal to its hits & heavy units equal to half its hits. Ships are only water capable, and can only be popped in water adjacent Cities.
    Unit F: – 60 points (up to five specials) (80s)
    Unit G: – 80 points (up to seven specials, including Advanced) (150s)

Specials
    There are two kinds of specials: Common and Advanced. Advanced specials may only be taken by G class units.

Common Specials – each special can only be taken twice per side
    Flight - (2) Allows the unit to pass through terrain without getting movement penalties, and attack cities from the Air zone, bypassing walls.
    Burrowing (2) – The unit may burrow to attack a City from below ground, or burrow if it ends turn with half or more move remaining – it gets a free attack against any enemy unit entering the hex. Burrowing mounts may carry their passengers underground.
    Siege - (4) Allows the unit to attack walls (or Towers if Flying, or Dungeons if burrowing). Stacks which include Siege units have a second combat value that is not affected by stack bonus or leadership. The unit applies its regular attack against enemy units, and the second combat value is applied against city defences. For every 100 points of combat applied to a city defence, the level of protection falls by 1.
    Mount (2) - Allows up to 1+(hits/10) (rounded down) light units to mount this unit (Mounts may not mount Mounts) (Cannot be type A, B, or C)
    Heavy (5) - Unit gains +5 hits, +3 Combat, Defence +1 and cannot ride Mounts. (Unit must have more than 15 hits in total)
    Ranged - (x) Allows the unit to make ranged attacks making them able to perform “first fire” when defending a hex. Cost 1 for A or B units, cost 2 for C, D, & E units, and cost 3 for F & G units.
    Toxic - (2) Combat score +4
    Healer - (2) The unit has defence stat +1
    Stealth - (3) If the unit ends turn with half or more move, it becomes veiled (a marker appears on the main map, but the number of units cannot be determined by a Scout Report) until it attacks or leaves the hex. Riders on Stealth mounts do not gain stealth.
    Simple Speed Boost (6) – The unit gains +6 to Move.
    Extra Tough (4) – the unit has +8 hits.
    Berserker (3) when attacking, unit gains +2 combat for every point the average defence of its stack is below 6 (may not be ranged)
    Well Drilled (2) if in a stack of 8 (no more, no less) unit gains +5 combat
    Duck'n'dodge (1) – defence +1 if hits are less than 6.
    Big Fellow (6) – hits +16, but defence cannot exceed 3.
    Chlorophyllic (12) – unit maintenance reduced by 30%
    Garrison (4) – Unit has 50% maintenance. Move reduced to 0. Unit types A or B only.
    Dance-fighting (3) – The unit has +6 to Combat
    Packmind (3) - Units with this special gain bonus combat equal to half the number of Packmind units in the stack. Units must all be of the same type to benefit.
    Complex Speed Boost (8) - The unit gains +10 to Move.
    Battlecrap (4) - CRAP! Flying units gain +7 to combat (Prerequisite: Flying)
    Footbiter (4) – Burrowing units gain +7 to combat (Prerequisite: Burrowing)
    Earthshaker (4) – Heavy units gain +7 to combat.
    Battle Wagon (8) The formula for the Mount Capacity for this unit is now 3+(hits/5). Pre-requisites: Mount, Heavy.
    Meatshield (4) – Hits +12 (Prerequisite: Mount)
    Frightening - (6) The unit has defence stat +2

Advanced Class Specials
    Can only be taken by G-Class units.
    Advanced Speed Boost (12) The unit gains +16 to Move.

Breath Weapons: Pick One! And Only One!

Fire Breath (4): +12 Combat.
    Lightning Breath (4): +8 Combat and unit counts as ranged.
    Sonic Breath (4): +8 Combat and unit counts as Siege.
    Acid Breath (4): Target stack defence -2 for the rest of the phase.
    Smoke Breath (4): Targeted stack cannot attack or be attacked for one phase. No stack can be targeted more than once per battle.
    Bubble Breath (4): Incapacitates a specific character or unit (A,B, or C) so that it cannot retreat at the end of the battle, and is automatically captured by the victorious side}.

Mithwil Armour (10) Unit def +2 to a maximum of 7.

Gold Plated (-10) Unit may spend an extra 10 points on specials and stats, but costs an extra 15% maintenance. This still takes one of the 7 available special slots.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:03 pm 
    LTDave wrote:

ME: Royals can't designate heirs - they have to be popped. I'd love other suggestions on how to differentiate the royal divide.

Right now I can see that Royal sides get the benefit of popping heirs. I don't see any benefit to being an Overlord side.

ME: They can designate heirs in the off turn. I'd like more suggestions of other benefits. Maybe they can ally with certain natives?

I suddenly realize that this is never explicitly stated in the rules, it probably should be put in because as it looks right now Royals can do either.

Also as another benefit to royals perhaps they could have a % chance to randomly pop a Noble Character. Not sure what to give Overlord as an evening out though.

Overlord: There is no guarantee what kind of Character will pop, but the odds are: 10% Caster, 30% Warlord, 60% Courtier.
    Royal: There is no guarantee what kind of Character will pop, but the odds are: 10% Caster, 20% Noble Warlord, 20% Warlord, 50% Courtier.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:18 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    I had the impression Stanley went through a lot of warlords before Parson was summoned, and I dont remember hearing mention of him having any courtiers.

What if it was along the lines of
    Overlord: 10% Caster, 50% Warlord, 40% Courtier
    Noble: 10% Caster, 15% Noble Warlord, 25% Warlord, 50% Courtier

Or so on. I would figure that overlords might get more Warlords on average, but Noble sides have a chance of getting higher quality warlords at the expense of less of them.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:05 pm 
    "LTDave": Yes - I did have common, exclusive, complex, comples exclusive and G-class, but this seemed better. Not every unit can fly or be ranged. If someone really wants to make a side of heavies I guess I can make an exception…

Maybe there could be an option to have all units of a side have a given Special? It'd be hard to figure out a balance for it, but there could be something worked out in the rules I'm sure.

Also, why did you have Common, Exclusive, Complex, Complex exclusive, Advanced as 5 categories? Couldn't you just have 3 categories of skills, like, Universal, Common, and Advanced? Where Universal is the 'can be owned any amount of times', and Common and Advanced are the ones you have? Either just Common/Advanced or Universal/Common/Advanced would work, I think, but I'm just not sure why it'd have been 5.

"LTDave" Yes. Braindead GM at work. Though I might need to add in a morale penalty if players just disband excess courtiers.

People can promote warlords directly from the courtiers if they really don't want the courtiers, though I'm not sure what kind of morale penalty you might include for anything. That'd require a Morale system, for one. But if you think you could implement that, go for it.

Noble Warlady - (12/8/7/6) (100s)

Overlord: 10% Caster, 50% Warlord, 40% Courtier
    Noble: 10% Caster, 15% Noble Warlord, 25% Warlord, 50% Courtier (Royal Sides cannot have a non-Noble Warlord as a Chief Warlord).

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:35 am 
    I'm back!

I like the new city rules, it will make a lot of things easier, and make smaller units appear in the game.

When the game starts, do we get more sight than we did this last time? Finding the first city almost took me 2 turns, with only scouting 3 hexes along roads (depending on if the road curls) will make the opening turns last a while longer.

I assume there is a chance of not popping a character? Otherwise we are all going to be loaded down with characters to the point we will be looking for ways to kill them off.

Stealth - Does this mean if I have 2 stacks, one of stealthed units and one of not stealthed character and others, the scouting report will only show the 1 stack of not stealthed units? Also if a mount is stealthed, then the scouting report will only show the riders? Or is the entire special negated if there are non stealthed units in the hex?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:30 am 

Last edited by GWvsJohn on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Your Things » Your Games