Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post subject: Book 3 - Page 84
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:57 pm 
This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a member of Team Erfworld IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Mined 4 Erf
New One is up.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 84
     Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:03 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Wat.

Ok that was pretty cute. Though I'm not sure why Tramennis chose to meet like this.

I like the wallpaper. :D

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:05 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Clubs Suit Pip Erfmover Supporter Spades Suit Pip Arkenhammer Supporter
    ... yep. The closet really is the last place we'd think Tramennis would be.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:05 pm 
    Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Diamonds Suit Pip Hearts Suit Pip Erfmover Supporter Spades Suit Pip Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Arkenhammer Supporter
    BAHAHAHAHA Thank you Rob, that is the first time I have legitimately, uncontrollably Laughed Out Loud at work.

It's funny on so many different levels, and surprisingly telling about the situation. There's the obvious pun, but also Trem appears to still have his comedic side.

There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:06 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Erfmover Supporter Arkenhammer Supporter Sometimes They Even Fail Royal Scepter Supporter
    That subtle joke at the end caught me completely off guard and I busted out laughing once I caught it. Nicely done.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:06 pm 
    I have to admit, I missed psycopath Trems.

Ansom is becoming soft. What kind of ex-coalition leader squeals like that when ambushed?

The following talk should be interesting.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:09 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Has collected at least one unit Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Spades Suit Pip Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Clubs Suit Pip
    What are the two maroon bean-shaped things tied together on the bed?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:10 pm 
    This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    I wonder if Tramennis did this to see if Ansem would have a "human" reaction to the surprise or if he would react like an automation. Otherwise, there seems to be little reason to ambush him like this instead of just meeting him well armed and guarded.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:11 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day This user is a Tool! Erfmover Supporter Hearts Suit Pip
    While the "coming out of the closet" joke is pretty good, it does bring up an interesting piece of extravagance that is, while not expected, at least acknowledged.

Most warlords that we've seen (and casters) have one, maybe two sets of "raiments" that they have had commissioned or they've popped in. The existence of a closet in the city suggests that, at least for Jetstone, having several different sets of clothes (raiments) is expected of them for various courtly occasions. I mean, Ace alluded to that when he was making a set of "duds" for Parson claiming that Jetstone was really going to miss him now that he wasn't working for Jetstone anymore (presumably because he spent a lot of juice over the turns making said raiments).

Just my 2 Smuckers.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:12 pm 
    Year of the Dwagon Supporter Has collected at least one unit
    vreejack wrote:
    What are the two maroon bean-shaped things tied together on the bed?

They are the clasps that were holding his cloak on. You can see him wearing them in panel 2 (and a better angle on them on page 68.)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:14 pm 
    Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Diamonds Suit Pip Hearts Suit Pip Erfmover Supporter Spades Suit Pip Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Arkenhammer Supporter
    I think it's multi-layered.
    He's "testing" to see whether it's still his brother in there.
    He's throwing in some unpredictability as a diplomatic trick, so that in the following conversation he might get more genuine responses now that Ansom has been thrown off balance. If he had waited for a formal audience, Trem is more likely to get rehearsed rote statements.
    And finally, he's just being Trem haha.

the_zet wrote:
    The existence of a closet in the city suggests that, at least for Jetstone, having several different sets of clothes (raiments) is expected of them for various courtly occasions.
    Also keep in mind this is presumably an apartment specifically intended for a diplomatic envoy, who is more likely to have multiple outfits.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:17 pm 
    This user has been published! Shiny Red Star This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter This user got funny with a rodent Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Ruler of Erfworld Diamonds Suit Pip Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Clubs Suit Pip Erfmover Supporter Arkenhammer Supporter Royal Scepter Supporter Sometimes They Even Fail
    "Honestly, Tramennis, you stopped hiding in the closet when I was level 3."

I like to think that Ansom & Tram used to play "Ambush!" a lot in their early days.

Ask Count Downer is over and archived now.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:21 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Ansom is making "angry eyebrows" in every panel that we see his face except one, I have to wonder just what he's thinking.

Edit: Or is it just the 'natural lookamancy' of scowling due to proximity to enemy troops?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:28 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter This user has been published! Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Diamonds Suit Pip Hearts Suit Pip Spades Suit Pip Arkenhammer Supporter For when you need it most
    0beron wrote:
    BAHAHAHAHA Thank you Rob!

Me too! :lol:

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:28 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Erfmover Supporter Arkenhammer Supporter Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Royal Scepter Supporter
    I have been trying to figure out what bugs me about the gag in this strip. I'm not offended by it; it's not as if I have never said "Must have been a glass closet" in reaction to a fairly obviously gay celebrity coming out in my life. But I think what it is is this: The entire joke is "Tramennis is gay." That's all of it. There's no insight into the character or anything, just, "LOL, he's gay and he hid in the closet." It's disappointing and dated. If it was tied into how Erfworld in general feels about gayness (and certainly King Slately made it sound like a pretty large taboo) or something else with a little depth, I might not have found it as off-putting as I do.

On the other hand, I suppose it speaks well of your overall output that I find it disappointing and worth discussing - even though again to be clear, I am not personally offended, nor am I offended on anyone else's behalf - because it suggests I expect more from you as a storyteller. So there's that, at least.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:31 pm 
    This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user has been published! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Diamonds Suit Pip
    0beron wrote:
    Also keep in mind this is presumably an apartment specifically intended for a diplomatic envoy, who is more likely to have multiple outfits.

Maybe I'm just in the habit of being your devil's advocate, but: Why? This is Erfworld, not Stupidworld. In general, in a world like Erf, why take an outfit, beyond the one you are wearing, to an enemy city (especially capital) when it is an investment to buy Raiment.

Also, why assume that this is intended for a diplomatic envoy instead of just a room that is set up like a general bedchamber? Even if it is for diplomats, why would it be different on Erf?

Also, less generally, why would ANSOM, specifically, be sent to a generic envoy room (if it is not just a generic bed chamber), instead of a more Royal chamber? He is, after all, the epitome of possibly envoys, even in his Decrypted state (at least to someone with Trem's attitudes [and experience with Ossimer])

But mostly I figure it is unlikely that Ansom, who knows this side with an unprecedented level of intimacy, would need to bring any outfit but the one most suited to the occasion... and apparently, befitting my expectation, he did not (See clothes-free-closet [minus Trem's clothes]).

EDIT: Syntax and Grammar.

C: Starting a theory from the point of view that characters have given false information (knowingly or unknowingly) is not a valid way to build an argument.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:37 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    I thought this was a really nice update.

What has always shone through is that while the Jetstone Royal family where quite stuck up. They are probably the only functional family we have seen on Erfworld (actually the Firebaugh's where sweet) the brothers clearly cared for each other deeply.

This update shows that quite a bit, that even though Ansom has literally marched an army to the front gates of their former capital. He is still Trem's brother and he still cares enough about him to hide in a closet and jump out on his brother as a greeting.

I am really looking forward to Trem and Ansom's chat. I think it is going to be really insightful and gives us a good idea where the story is going.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:37 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Erfmover Supporter
    Best. Comic. Ever.

I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:38 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Heh, I'm bi and I wasn't butt hurt by it. I just thought that Tramennis' grin was hilarious.

No one in particular wrote:
    "Honestly, Tramennis, you stopped hiding in the closet when I was level 3."

I like to think that Ansom & Tram used to play "Ambush!" a lot in their early days.

That sounds about right for brothers.

Beeskee wrote:
    Ansom is making "angry eyebrows" in every panel that we see his face except one, I have to wonder just what he's thinking.

Edit: Or is it just the 'natural lookamancy' of scowling due to proximity to enemy troops?

I think he's just annoyed to be treated like a dangerous animal instead of a person.

Screw you guys, I'm a Polar bear now. Art by my very good friend, Arieann Pentagon.

Old Cyborg pony pic:
    Full Image.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:39 pm 
    CarniDollMancer wrote:
    0beron wrote:

Maybe I'm just in the habit of being your devil's advocate, but: Why? This is Erfworld, not Stupidworld. In general, in a world like Erf, why take an outfit, beyond the one you are wearing, to an enemy city (especially capital) when it is an investment to buy Raiment.
    Because Jetstone values that, and it seems like Courtiers in general like finery. Knowing your audience and fitting in with their customs goes a long way in diplomacy if it is done respectfully.

Quote:
    [Why would there be a special room like this and why would Ansom be sent there]
    Again, it's Jetstone's way. They're highly organized and stand on ceremony. Everything has a purpose and a place. I'm sure a small wing is devoted to "guest apartments" and it is likely set up in such a way as to easily guard. And the only guests you're likely to have in a city are either prisoners (which go in the dungeon) or diplomatic parties.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions