Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post subject: Book 3 - Page 56
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:55 pm 
This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a member of Team Erfworld IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Mined 4 Erf
New One is up.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 56
     Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:00 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Looking forward to the discussion between JoJo and Parson!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:08 pm 
    This user has been published! Shiny Red Star This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter This user got funny with a rodent Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Ruler of Erfworld Diamonds Suit Pip Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Clubs Suit Pip Erfmover Supporter Arkenhammer Supporter
    Hm. Wanda's livery disappears from Downer(?)'s chest after the first panel.

And awwww... Jojo's lost love, Lady Lazarus. I hope he doesn't take it too hard, hearing that she finally dusted. Or, er, celebrates too much hearing that that particular debt is finally paid.

Ask Count Downer is over and archived now.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:12 pm 
    Or Parson can just rub it in; "well, she dusted, but juuuust barely, because I was delayed. So congratulations!"

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:16 pm 
    This user was a Tool before it was cool Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Awww yisss, we're gonna learn about Carnymancy. Jojo might even become an ally of Gobwin Knob. I know he's a Carny, and typically they aren't trusted - but that's why I think he can be trusted, because no one else would want to bother to learn about Carnymancy.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:19 pm 
    I suddenly find myself wondering, if/when JoJo tells Charlie about the tri-caster link, what might he infer from it? He's no stranger to links.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:27 pm 
    IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    Okay, color me confused. Where are they going, and just what happened between pages?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:31 pm 
    This user has been published! Shiny Red Star This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter This user got funny with a rodent Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Ruler of Erfworld Diamonds Suit Pip Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Clubs Suit Pip Erfmover Supporter Arkenhammer Supporter
    OvaltinePatrol wrote:
    I suddenly find myself wondering, if/when JoJo tells Charlie about the tri-caster link, what might he infer from it? He's no stranger to links.

Why would he? Jojo's only question for Parson is about Sylvia, and Parson has no reason to blab about any of the tri-links GK's been trying.

Lheticus wrote:
    Okay, color me confused. Where are they going, and just what happened between pages?

They're going to the Temple of the Thinkamancers, so Parson can arrange for the Great Minds that Think Alike to safely break the link-up from a couple of pages ago.

As for what happened, presumably Parson agreed to hear what Jojo wanted to talk about, while ordering Downer(?) to keep a hold of him so that he's technically a prisoner.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:39 pm 
    If he was "technically" a prisoner he'd have shackles. Rules and all. The hold he's in is probably the Erf equivalent of "auto-crit".

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:00 pm 
    IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    No one in particular wrote:

Lheticus wrote:

They're going to the Temple of the Thinkamancers, so Parson can arrange for the Great Minds that Think Alike to safely break the link-up from a couple of pages ago.

As for what happened, presumably Parson agreed to hear what Jojo wanted to talk about, while ordering Downer(?) to keep a hold of him so that he's technically a prisoner.

1. I asked what happened BETWEEN pages, not during. It seemed like the situation was rather powder-kegish like Downer was saying, and anything that happened to defuse it took place off panel. I would have appreciated this page having one panel covering that, if even all it was was just Morgan Freeman (Morgan Freethinker?) Thinkamancer guy saying "Knock it off!" or some turn of phrase thereof. Just saying.

2. So they're still in at least decent graces with the Thinkamancers? Seems to me like that may wind up causing an actual schism in the MK between the Thinkamancers and the others at this rate. Talk about GW bringing war there...

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:10 pm 
    This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a Tool! This user has been published! This user got funny with a rodent Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Spades Suit Pip Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Hearts Suit Pip Clubs Suit Pip
    ScottishMongol wrote:
    Awww yisss, we're gonna learn about Carnymancy. Jojo might even become an ally of Gobwin Knob. I know he's a Carny, and typically they aren't trusted - but that's why I think he can be trusted, because no one else would want to bother to learn about Carnymancy.

I don't follow your line of thought there. That sounds like Jojo would be an honest player if he happened to meet a rare person who wants to hear about Carnymancy. I think it would take a bit more than that.

Oh, I imagine he'd be quite willing to talk about Carnymancy (or at least some of it, because Carnymancers have secrets about their discipline, too.) I imagine a Carnymancer's favorite place is in a spotlight, and if Parson's an appreciative audience, then Jojo might keep it sincere.

My problem is that I personally don't trust him because I still suspect that Jojo personally blames Gobwin Knob for the fall of Unaroyal, Bea, and Sylvia. I think it'll take more than a round of applause to get him to swear loyalty to a side containing Stanley, the caster that drafted Sylvia to her second death, or the warlord that ordered her first death.

But I hope I'll be surprised. Parson applied some psychology when he talked to King Dickie, and I thought that was a smooth maneuver. If he manages to describe Sylvia as having kept her dignity or honor, then maybe that'd help for Jojo to at least forgive Gobwin Knob a little tiny bit.

---

I have a fanfiction archive here and a DeviantArt page -- including Erfworld fanart this site hasn't seen -- here!

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:14 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Diamonds Suit Pip
    Lheticus wrote:
    1. I asked what happened BETWEEN pages, not during. It seemed like the situation was rather powder-kegish like Downer was saying, and anything that happened to defuse it took place off panel. I would have appreciated this page having one panel covering that, if even all it was was just Morgan Freeman (Morgan Freethinker?) Thinkamancer guy saying "Knock it off!" or some turn of phrase thereof. Just saying.

My interpretation of it was that what defused the situation was Parson agreeing to talk with Jojo.

If you look at the last panel of page 55, Gobwin Knob folks are all on edge, Artemis and Downer pointing weapons at Jojo. But Jojo just says "Hello, I want to talk with you!" He's smiling, not fighting. The next panel is him walking and talking with Parson.

So what I'm envisioning happening is that Jojo said "Hey, I just want to talk! Nothing more!", Parson agreed to listen to him as long as Downer had Jojo in a grip, and they both walked on.

Basically, Jojo defused it. He could have sparked a big conflict by trying to escape or by trying to attack; by submitting, he prevented a further escalation.

That's my interpretation at least. We weren't shown anybody else being involved, so I assumed there wasn't anyone else who intervened, otherwise we would have known about it; therefore, Jojo/Parson/Downer/Artemis must have been the ones who resolved it, and the way I mentioned is what seemed like the obvious way to me.

Quote:
    2. So they're still in at least decent graces with the Thinkamancers? Seems to me like that may wind up causing an actual schism in the MK between the Thinkamancers and the others at this rate. Talk about GW bringing war there...

Yep, I think so. They're in such good graces with the thinkamancers that Parson even knew in advance of the link that he'd be able to get their help to unravel it. A conflict in the MK over this seems quite possible...

Well, what did you do yesterday? Now you know.

Let's all be the kind of people we wish everyone had been then. Show up. Call. Resist.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:17 pm 
    This user was a Tool before it was cool Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Brother Mirtillo wrote:
    ScottishMongol wrote:

I don't follow your line of thought there. That sounds like Jojo would be an honest player if he happened to meet a rare person who wants to hear about Carnymancy. I think it would take a bit more than that.

Oh, I imagine he'd be quite willing to talk about Carnymancy (or at least some of it, because Carnymancers have secrets about their discipline, too.) I imagine a Carnymancer's favorite place is in a spotlight, and if Parson's an appreciative audience, then Jojo might keep it sincere.

My problem is that I personally don't trust him because I still suspect that Jojo personally blames Gobwin Knob for the fall of Unaroyal, Bea, and Sylvia. I think it'll take more than a round of applause to get him to swear loyalty to a side containing Stanley, the caster that drafted Sylvia to her second death, or the warlord that ordered her first death.

But I hope I'll be surprised. Parson applied some psychology when he talked to King Dickie, and I thought that was a smooth maneuver. If he manages to describe Sylvia as having kept her dignity or honor, then maybe that'd help for Jojo to at least forgive Gobwin Knob a little tiny bit.

Yeah, that's a pretty good argument as to why Jojo wouldn't like Gobwin Knob, but maybe we'll still get to learn about Carnymancy.

Another way Parson could win over Jojo is by playing up the fact that it was Charlie's trap that got Sylvia killed. Jojo might feel some guilt about being a part of that and might want to make amends - again, it's a long shot, but possible.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:25 pm 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    And what are the chances that Jojo planted a listening device on Parson?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:35 pm 
    No one in particular wrote:
    OvaltinePatrol wrote:

Why would he? Jojo's only question for Parson is about Sylvia, and Parson has no reason to blab about any of the tri-links GK's been trying.

Charlie remains the best employer of the Carnies, and Parson doesn't have to say anything about the link: the three casters holding hands, being led to Thinkamancers are plainly visible. Sizemore was an MK "rock star," and one of the others has to be a Thinkamancer. Even if JoJo doesn't know who Ace is, he can describe him. Charlie can figure stuff out from the details.

Edit: Now I wonder if casters could fake people out by holding hands and doing their best glassy-eyed look.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:42 pm 
    Lheticus wrote:

... Parson agreed to talk with Jojo. That's what defused the immediate situation. That's all it took. I mean, also keep in mind that Jojo's a carny. Most other casters wouldn't risk their lives to save a carny.

Lheticus wrote:

Yes, GK is in good graces with the GMtTA. As seen by Parson having access to them at the start of the book, and a room near their temple, and talking about how they're willing to assist GK but not leave the MK to help them. The political tensions in the MK were mentioned back on page 51, "Even Isaac won't come through our portal. I think giving us protection in the Em-Kay is one thing, but coming here would signal that he's working for us. And they're not ready to go there yet."

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:20 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Couple things. 1) Does anyone else think the last panel looks like a nod to Wizard of Oz again, with the three casters "linked" together, travelling down the winding road? 2) Nice to see the sentimentality of a unit displayed. It doesn't seem to come up nearly enough. 3) How can Jojo's face be drawn so well in panel three, but everyone else still look so derpy? I've been tough on the new artist in my head, but that panel three shows tremendous promise.

/lurker returns to the shadows

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:45 pm 
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary
    It's not just sentimentality. Sylvia was Jojo's (and presumably Charlie's) guinea pig in an experiment about luck and fate.

And it's weird seeing Clarence Thomas speak. In stupidworld he's famous for never saying anything during oral arguments.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:03 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user is a Tool! This user posted the comment of the month Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner This user got funny with a rodent Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    GrandReaper wrote:
    1) Does anyone else think the last panel looks like a nod to Wizard of Oz again, with the three casters "linked" together, travelling down the winding road?

Follow the Brown Dirt Road.
    Follow the Brown Dirt-

Okay, never mind.

We can infer from this that Jojo really has only two driving motives. Charlie, who has a deal with Jojo, of which we know little to nothing about. And Lady Sylvia, who seems to continue being at least a partial driving force in the plot despite being dusted MAGNIFICENTLY. But, as we all know, a Carny is a master of getting a little something extra from any deal they make (through necessity) and this information may end up being of some OTHER vital importance to Jojo, and not just a way to scratch that scab on his heart.

Perhaps her method of death will have a bearing on Jojo's deal with Charlie, or have some bearing on doing the impossible. Curing the Croaked status. Like, Croaked-Croaked. "There ain't no coming back. This is the really-real world. There ain't no coming back!" style coming back.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:18 am 
    This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user posted the comment of the month
    HBar wrote:
    And it's weird seeing Clarence Thomas speak. In stupidworld he's famous for never saying anything during oral arguments.

I've heard it said that Clarence Thomas is the "coasting" supreme justice, who does and writes the least relative to the others. Especially compared to Ginsburg or Scalia. Not sure how that applies to this context, or how good an assessment that is.

I've always though Jojo somehow stole, Luckamancy style, all of Artemis' good rolls for Sylvia, which was how she did so very very well. Him being at her arrow point would have been a sort of situational irony if that were true.

Here's my Erfics: Hungry Jungle. -- Completed!

The Overlord's New Clothes -- Two parter, Completed

Unjust Deserts -- Completed!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions