Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 41
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:09 am 
E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Ruler of Erfworld
ManaCaster wrote:
So, what would the most suitable name for this new alliance be?

Evil Union (EU) :lol:
--------------------------
God, I hope Parson utterly destroys Hobbitm in a turn or two. They already piss me off. Is that Hobbi™ btw?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:45 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    That empty terrain to Gobwin Knob's east is very interesting. Is there a supply mechanic that would make a no-man's land of razed cities between them and their enemies a stronger defence than just holding the cities themselves or was it more the "point of diminishing shmuckers" thing? Would Sofa King or Hyatt or FoxMUD need to rebuild one of those cities just to be able to reach Gobwin Knob? If so, the whole setup looks like a very good "defeat in detail" strategy for holding off a lot of their enemies while they concentrated on Jetstone.

When we first saw Artemis, how impressive her archery was from her first turn was demonstrated by the fact that "On their four-turn journey to Spacerock, their packed provisions went untouched.", which sounds a lot more like a supply mechanic than "rations pop at dawn" for everyone.

Possibly instead of just a direct supply mechanic, popping rations further from your cities costs more in upkeep and eating from provisions/hunting reduces or eliminates the extra cost? That might still make it prohibitively expensive for the sides to the east to attack Gobwin Knob with sufficient force with such a large distance to the nearest city.

On Charlescomm's apparent territory extending far beyond their only city, I wonder if that's how far away he has units working farms and mines and so on, if those terrain features work based on units working them rather than being within a city's zone of control.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:56 am 
    Hello, has it not been said that Charlescomm is surrounded by mountains and only accessible by air? I believe the blank area to be mountainous regions. This is why Charlie wants to keep Jillian alive, because her gwiffs are possibly the only things that can even get to his city other than archons.

Also, I find it very interesting that Charlies was able to get forces behind Haggar, given the distance and location, without being detected by others.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:13 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    junovalkyrie wrote:
    ╒╦╧╬╩╦╦╛ wrote:
    Not that it would be of interest to anyone but...

I took the freedom of un-perspectiving and rotating that map in case someone would like to take a closer look...

Just in case.

Just throwing out some factoids that come to mind, too tired to analyze or fiddle around in Paint:

Charlescomm: -1181, 550
    Spacerock: -1156, 398
    Faq: -1252, 461
    Where Jillian croaked a twoll and some uncroaked in Book 1: -1214, 455
    Where the three archons rendezvoused with Jillian, Webinar, and Dora in Book 1: -1218, 467

Charlie specifically refers to X and Y coordinates in the last case. Treating this like our own system (which seems safe enough given other evidence):

X axis: Faq is 71 units west of Charlescomm, which is 25 units west of Spacerock.
    Y axis: Charlescomm is 89 units north of Faq, which is 63 units north of Spacerock.

At least one of Faq's cities is fewer than 2 (?) turns' move away from Gobwin Knob by dwagon flight (though dwagons' move stat is known to be variable). Possibly can get a better sense of GK's precise coordinates by comparing to the map that IIRC SteveMB made during Book 1.

Thanks for the coordinates, using them and a grid, if we put spacerock at the end of gobwin knob's peninsula in Jetstone and Faq roughly in faqs theritory, it gives us a scope of erf's minimal size by giving us the origin (0,0)

Also, despite my best efforts there was no way to have Spacerock almost at the tip od the peninsula, charlescom in the middle of the blue circle and faq in faq. So I positionned Faq and spacerock assuming that Charlescomm may give bad intel about it's location (isn't it common buisness practice to have your coordinates in an other country for tax purpose?) considering

A: How paranoid Charlie is
    B: That Gowbwin knob, appart from that scout golem may very well never have seen Charlescomm
    C: That some gobwin knob's unit know pretty well where faq and spacerock are

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:32 am 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    not going to quote all of that but ╒╦╧╬╩╦╦╛ the conflict between GK and the RCC was known as the great western conflict, which means that your 0,0 grid would fit as it puts everyone squarely in the west of 0,0.

Interesting how little of the world we have seen for something that is the war to end all wars.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:00 am 
    Year of the Dwagon Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    ╒╦╧╬╩╦╦╛ wrote:
    junovalkyrie wrote:
    ╒╦╧╬╩╦╦╛ wrote:
    Not that it would be of interest to anyone but...

I took the freedom of un-perspectiving and rotating that map in case someone would like to take a closer look...

Just in case.

Just throwing out some factoids that come to mind, too tired to analyze or fiddle around in Paint:

Charlescomm: -1181, 550
    Spacerock: -1156, 398
    Faq: -1252, 461
    Where Jillian croaked a twoll and some uncroaked in Book 1: -1214, 455
    Where the three archons rendezvoused with Jillian, Webinar, and Dora in Book 1: -1218, 467

Charlie specifically refers to X and Y coordinates in the last case. Treating this like our own system (which seems safe enough given other evidence):

X axis: Faq is 71 units west of Charlescomm, which is 25 units west of Spacerock.
    Y axis: Charlescomm is 89 units north of Faq, which is 63 units north of Spacerock.

At least one of Faq's cities is fewer than 2 (?) turns' move away from Gobwin Knob by dwagon flight (though dwagons' move stat is known to be variable). Possibly can get a better sense of GK's precise coordinates by comparing to the map that IIRC SteveMB made during Book 1.

Thanks for the coordinates, using them and a grid, if we put spacerock at the end of gobwin knob's peninsula in Jetstone and Faq roughly in faqs theritory, it gives us a scope of erf's minimal size by giving us the origin (0,0)

Also, despite my best efforts there was no way to have Spacerock almost at the tip od the peninsula, charlescom in the middle of the blue circle and faq in faq. So I positionned Faq and spacerock assuming that Charlescomm may give bad intel about it's location (isn't it common buisness practice to have your coordinates in an other country for tax purpose?) considering

A: How paranoid Charlie is
    B: That Gowbwin knob, appart from that scout golem may very well never have seen Charlescomm
    C: That some gobwin knob's unit know pretty well where faq and spacerock are

Took my own crack at it using your grid. Needed to do some more stretching and resizing
    Kept at it until i got frustrated. Faq and Space rock might be slightly off, but its close

This really DOES put into perspective how large erfworld is. At the very least the world likely stretches as far east as it does west
    Even taking into account possible oceans, THAT is a lot of territory and sides to conquer...

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:47 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Has collected at least one unit
    udat wrote:
    DyolfKnip wrote:
    Any ideas what the inside joke will be about Rightshoring and Metroland?

Don't Californian's often refer to the Left Coast and Right Coast? And shore means "coast" as well as "reinforce" or "support". Could be that?

Some of us do. It is less common than East/West but I do hear Left/Right every now and again and it doesn't strike me as odd to hear it described that way. However, allow me to introduce another potential interpretation.

Per investopedia.com
    Quote:
    INVESTOPEDIA EXPLAINS 'RIGHT-SHORING'
    Right-shoring requires a business to maintain a balance between the work types that can be outsourced overseas and the ones that should be kept domestic. Commonly, less complex types of work and work that carries a lower level of importance can be shifted abroad, while complex and important types, or ones that require extensive customer interaction, are kept at home.

Which sounds like exactly the kind of side that would be willing to consider a mutually beneficial business proposition.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:34 am 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Some of you have talked about the space around Charlescomm as being an area of influence that he doesn't directly control ... but no one has specifically said it, so I'll throw it out there: Natural Allies. Maybe that is a mountainous area inhabited by twolls, etc. (And while I'm at it ... I've always thought it would be pretty interesting if Charlescomm's city was actually above the mountain ... a cloud city, like the one in Star Wars above Bespin.)

As for the grey areas between sides ... remember, this is a map drawn from the minds of individuals in GK's force. The gray areas could just represent areas that no one in GK's force knows about. Those areas may actually be part of one side or another, but since no one in GK's force specifically knows one way or the other ... they just leave it gray.

Last edited by Fla_Panther on Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:34 am 
    Based on that map (finally!) the interesting questions are:

-White spots, are they unknown areas or empty areas? I am inclined to guess empty space because most of the white areas are right next to Gobwin Knob territory, which should logically be the best known to them.

-That light blue around Charlescomm would suggest they have a large "no-fly zone" despite only having one city. I also thought CC was further away, this position makes conflict with them all the more imminent.

-Hobittm is fucked I'd say. Not only was their leader introduced, as a hostile. But they are also in a bad spot for GK. If GK took them out, they would secure their south side, gain access to the sea and make their lands around Spacerock safer. It is an excellent chance for Parson to gain some more field experience while this truce lasts (striking out west from Spacerock).

More proof that Hobittm is fucked is the Lord Forecastle side-story, dealing with maritime matters. It is likely this is not random and Parson will find something interesting out of having control of the sea I am sure (colonies to help self-sustainability?). Plus this helps them connect with their likely ally, Rightshoring.

-Now that Parson knows about Bunny, Don King's future looks even more grim. If Caesar turns on the powers that be (as his name suggests) with the help or tacit approval of Gobwin Knob (through Bunny, who loves C.) then GK will secure its western borders too, possibly by allying with Jitterati as well (hate Faq presumably). This leaves them free to pursue war against the royals or Charlie in the east and north.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:32 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit
    Re: all the maps

I love the work you guys are putting in to this. It's amazing how much you can do with a few random coordinates and a perspective-skewed portion of a map.

The map we're all looking at isn't perfect, though. It's an amalgamation of the perceptions and memories and opinions of everyone present. Consider this: Stanley's goal (and thus Gobwin Knob's goal) is to conquer the world. He's also short, even by Erfworld standards. And has a soft ego in general. And Parson would know on a strategic level to underestimate his own side and overestimate his enemies. From those perspectives they are going to think of their side as small, and that is going to be reflected on the mind-map. A map of this sort would look much different if it were made out of Spacerock minds or Transylvito minds. Spacerock, I imagine, would make themselves tiny and Gobwin Knob terrifyingly large. But regardless, the map isn't canon, so we should take it with a grain of salt.

And with that in mind, I would be very surprised if that dot labeled "Charlescomm" is anywhere close to where Charlescomm is.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:41 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf This user is a Tool! Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Clubs Suit Pip Erfmover Supporter
    jeffseadot wrote:
    Re: all the maps

I love the work you guys are putting in to this. It's amazing how much you can do with a few random coordinates and a perspective-skewed portion of a map.

The map we're all looking at isn't perfect, though. It's an amalgamation of the perceptions and memories and opinions of everyone present. Consider this: Stanley's goal (and thus Gobwin Knob's goal) is to conquer the world. He's also short, even by Erfworld standards. And has a soft ego in general. And Parson would know on a strategic level to underestimate his own side and overestimate his enemies. From those perspectives they are going to think of their side as small, and that is going to be reflected on the mind-map. A map of this sort would look much different if it were made out of Spacerock minds or Transylvito minds. Spacerock, I imagine, would make themselves tiny and Gobwin Knob terrifyingly large. But regardless, the map isn't canon, so we should take it with a grain of salt.

And with that in mind, I would be very surprised if that dot labeled "Charlescomm" is anywhere close to where Charlescomm is.

They know exactly where Charlescomm is. His capital site isn't a secret to Gobwin Knob (even if they didn't already know exactly where it was, it's in the contract)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:51 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Has collected at least one unit
    jeffseadot wrote:

That part actually strikes me as being one of the most likely parts of the map to be accurate. Don't forget that the Agreement with Charlescomm included the exact coordinates for Charlie's capital city (admittedly at time of signing) as [-1181, 550 MCS]. Although perhaps it is possible that Charlie is willing to move his city or that the city itself is somehow mobile.

Random Theory:
    1) Charlescomm shows a huge territory but allegedly only has one city.
    2) That territory likely has several city sites and some are potentially capital sites.
    3) Charlie likely has a lot of money.

Therefore: Charlie can build a new city, move the capital, and raze the old one if he really feels like doing so. Potentially multiple times as a method of evading invasion.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:04 pm 
    multilis wrote:
    Even if GK lost the battle at beginning of book 2, it was claimed they might still defeat Jetstone by Tram even losing an army and decryption/wanda.

On top of big cities already mentioned), they showed very effective leadership in book 1, they have Stanley, Hammer and Dragons, they are spending lots of money on popping elite army as rich side. (Eg they had hobgobwin knights on their dwagons)

It is reasonable that such a side might defeat the entire royal coalition just as Napoleon conquered much of europe, and years later Germany in world war 2 did similar for a few years... so Tram was saying a good non aggression pact may be worth more than war once Wanda was gone.

Right, plus the two members of the RCC we're most familiar with are close to broke currently and can't afford a huge war. Even after losing their most frightening asset, GK would've had enough capacity to recover faster than the RCC and take them down using more conventional armies.

Sir Dr D wrote:
    I am rather surprised that Charescomm neighbors Gobwin Knob. It always sounded like it was more distant. And I also thought it would be smaller.

I'm not. Stanley has a personal dislike of Charlie, and the most likely source of that would be regular contact/conflict of some kind beyond seeing Archon's rented in an opposing army, which would require the territory to be close by.

Plus the original plan for the sneaky golem was to walk back to GK if the portal trip worked, so it would've had to have been close by out of necessity.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:15 pm 
    Sixty wrote:
    Hyatt seems to have a small chunk of territory is what looks to be no man's land. Is that approximately the territory a lone city would control in the surrounding area?

I would assume so. Faq is also 3 cities total and you can visit all 3 in one turn. The main body of what I assume to be a regency looks to be the same size.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:51 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter
    It's the little things sometimes...

The artwork on the chalkboard is particularly nice.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:02 pm 
    Year of the Dwagon Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Theory about that white space... Maybe its unaroyal's former cities. If we assume Unaroyal's capitol was somewhere around the middle of its territory then its possible that GK only conquered the cities to the West of the capitol. The cities to the east were left untouched; when Unaroyal fell those cities just went neutral. GK did not claim the cities themselves because Ansom wanted to prepare for their march on Jetstone.

Its possible that the cities might have been taken by Hyatt and Foxmud, but the map does not reflect this since Gk's former foxmud and Hyatt units that provided their memories wouldn't know about anything after they were decrypted. The cities might also still be there unclaimed; Bea might have only had enough money to promote her own garrison units and thus left all the garrison in these other cities frozen... as such the cities still have some defenses left which foxmud and Hyatt might have difficulty dealing with on their own and thus can't claim the cities.

As for Charlescomm... could be that there are city sites out there; but Charlie razed them a long time ago and won't let any sides come near them. He may feel this makes for an effective buffer zone since anyone marching on his city would have to cross across many hexes of wasteland where he can pick them off... this is as opposed to if he had cities, the cities could be captured and defended while the attackers build up for the next city. Its the difference between having to make one long march across the land to his Capitol and getting to rest and build your forces in a fortified city one turn from him.

Though maybe it is just wasteland... like Charlescomm is just in a bizarre location where its far away from every other city. The lone capitol site.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:01 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf For when you need it most Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Ruler of Erfworld Diamonds Suit Pip Hearts Suit Pip Clubs Suit Pip Spades Suit Pip Erfmover Supporter Arkenhammer Supporter
    Daefaroth wrote:
    Random Theory:
    3) Charlie likely has a lot of money.

This is probably true, but I would bet that much less of that money isn't highly liquid than people think, especially considering his expansive Archeron operations. The more operations he runs at any given time, the higher the risk disbanding field Archerons would lead to defaulting on contracts, and we know he has a large number of operations running at any given time.

I would bet any number of quatloos that Charlie manages his treasury like a professional poker player manages his bankroll, knowing how much he can potentially lose in any single engagement before he has to begin to cut back the number of engagements he can engage in, with the goal of increasing his bankroll to be able to take on larger and more engagements at any given time.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:13 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    So I downloaded the image of the rotated map. Going into the editor, it put the middle of the 'a' in Faq at about (240,235), the middle of the s in Charlescomm at (480,90) and the tip of the green entry into Jetstone territory as Spacerock at about (500,650). I then solved the system of equations and plugged in the co-ordinates (again, approximate) center of each other side's name to reflect their capital city and got the following co-ordinates:

Carpool: (-1301, 328)
    DogFort: (-1102, 515)
    FoxMUD: (-1157, 523)
    Gobwin Knob: (-1203, 462)
    Haggar: (-1104, 389)
    Hobbittm: (-1201, 417)
    Hyatt: (-1134, 517)
    Jetstone: (-1118, 449)
    Jitterati: (-1274, 475)
    Metroland: (-1322, 423)
    Rightshoring: (-1175, 359)
    Sofa King: (-1118, 565)
    Transylvito: (-1291, 415)

If these are correct*, the first coordinate axis runs mostly from bottom to top (drifting a bit to the right) in our image as DogFort and Haggar are basically aligned as are Gobwin Knob/Hobbittm and FoxMUD/Spacerock. The second coordinate axis runs through Faq/Gobwin Knob or DogFort/Hyatt or Transylvito/Hobbittm. This makes sense on a hex grid. The Twoll and Archon events are deep in GK territory.

*The idea is sound but I'm short on sleep. I'll check the numbers again when I'm better rested. :P

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:18 pm 
    This user has been published! Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    As a straightened map had already been posted, I made a cleaned one.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:57 pm 
    mroozee wrote:
    So I downloaded the image of the rotated map. Going into the editor, it put the middle of the 'a' in Faq at about (240,235), the middle of the s in Charlescomm at (480,90) and the tip of the green entry into Jetstone territory as Spacerock at about (500,650). I then solved the system of equations and plugged in the co-ordinates (again, approximate) center of each other side's name to reflect their capital city and got the following co-ordinates:

According to Agreement with Charlescomm

Spacerock is (-1156, 398)
    Faq is (-1252, 461)
    Charlescomm is (-1181, 550) [but note my above point that Charlie potentially has the capital sites, money, and paranoia to move his capital the instant that contract was signed]

Further notes on assumptions we are making about the map.

A) So far the assumption is that the coordinates are on a x,y coordinate grid when that might not be the case. There is actually a much more native hex coordinate system based on hexagonal cubic coordinates. See here.

B) What if Erf isn't flat? if Erf is round like Earth then the coordinate lines should curve when you place them on a flat map. Personally I prefer to think of Erf as a regular icosahedron rather than an actual sphere. :lol:

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions