Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post subject: Book 5 - Prologue 31
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:02 am 
This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a member of Team Erfworld IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Mined 4 Erf
Offline
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:41 am
Posts: 4760
New One is up. Still evolving our process for making comics. Lots of experimental stuff here.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 5 - Prologue 31
     Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:08 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Hearts Suit Pip Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Diamonds Suit Pip
    Offline
    Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:34 pm
    Posts: 255
    Nice. I was thrown off by the first word balloon at first, imagining it coming from a soft, high-pitched bunny-like voice. Then I realized who was speaking, heh!

    Oh, and I like the look of it. Thumbs up.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 5 - Prologue 31
     Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:25 am 
    User avatar
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Erfmover Supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:36 am
    Posts: 4349
    I'd say Noah is overly optimistic, but as a master date-a-mancer, he probably knows exactly how reliable his relationships are. The problem is, Noah doesn't seem to realize he's describing how World War 1 started.

    _________________
    I'm writing a fan fiction. It's called Murder in the Magic Kingdom. Check it out, if you'd like. Completed May 5th, 2015

    I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 5 - Prologue 31
     Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:29 am 
    User avatar
    Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:27 pm
    Posts: 2
    I think he's definitely over-optimistic about how many people will come to his side's aid if there's an issue. The Magic Kingdom is supposed to be neutral, will they blow that reputation to save one side?

    Though it really comes down to how many bolt holes the Hippiemancers have. If this side is just one of many potential locations, then he's out of luck. If this side is the only one, then it's a lot more likely.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 5 - Prologue 31
     Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:45 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Erfmover Supporter Arkenhammer Supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:46 am
    Posts: 396
    Location: Tatooine
    This plan only works when you have allies. With how pear shaped everything is going in the Magic Kingdom right now how many allies have they lost and can their allies even help them if aid is called for? Unfortunately I think Suger is going to be bearing some very bad news to this side very soon.

    _________________
    I came, I saw, I had fun!

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 5 - Prologue 31
     Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:55 am 
    User avatar
    This user got funny with a rodent Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
    Offline
    Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 3:06 am
    Posts: 96
    The art here, and on the previous page, is definitely starting to come into its own. (Although I still think hard edges like the nearest edge of the cat idol in the final panel need a black line.)

    Lipkin wrote:
    The problem is, Noah doesn't seem to realize he's describing how World War 1 started.

    He's only describing half of how WWI started. It's only a problem if a different fifth of the MK is inclined to aid the hypothetical invader (or oppose the first fifth). EDIT: Besides, Archduke Ferdinand already croaked some time prior to TBfGK 27.

    That said, Noah is in gross violation of the unspoken plan guarantee.

  • Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 5 - Prologue 31
     Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:43 am 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Offline
    Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:29 pm
    Posts: 259
    Funny, in the last update thread I was going to point out Security by Obscurity in reference to the only thing I didn't agree with about ShaneTheBrain's post. ("Can't be attacked because almost no one knows you exist" is a pretty strong cloak of protection few sides can claim.")

    Regarding the purple mask ... no idea what that's modeled after, but it reminds me of something Jack Kirby would've drawn.

    > "I have, sir. I can only see liabilities and vulnerabilities."

    I'm a bit surprised Noah didn't take him to task on that point, considering it's Sugar's perspective that needs to be challenged and changed, and that's a key part of it. Of course he can only see liabilities and vulnerabilities. His vision is exactly what needs to be changed.

    That said, as KeiranHalcyon31 said, we know too much of his plan. Of course, Noah doesn't know that.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 5 - Prologue 31
     Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:50 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user posted the comment of the month
    Offline
    Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:05 pm
    Posts: 74
    Jed and Sugar really need to talk. Sugar is not at all mellow.

  • Tipped by 10 people!
  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 5 - Prologue 31
     Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:25 am 
    Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 3:04 am
    Posts: 111
    Fla_Panther wrote:
    "I have, sir. I can only see liabilities and vulnerabilities."

    I'm a bit surprised Noah didn't take him to task on that point, considering it's Sugar's perspective that needs to be challenged and changed, and that's a key part of it. Of course he can only see liabilities and vulnerabilities. His vision is exactly what needs to be changed.

    That said, as KeiranHalcyon31 said, we know too much of his plan. Of course, Noah doesn't know that.

    Noah is assuming that there is not going to be a large wave of desperate refugees from the Magic Kingdom flooding into Nesty in the near future. In other words, unlike Sugar who sees the agreement as a liability, because he is afraid Nesty might actually have to accept refugees, Noah assumes that Nesty is not going to have to fulfil its treaty obligations to the Hippymancers any time soon. And this is probably a reasonable assumption for him to make, since while he knows that Wanda is a potential threat to the Magic Kingdom, he probably thinks her execution is likely to resolve the problem soon. He has no idea that the Arkenpliers have Awakened, or that a wave of forced decryption could conceivably be unleashed that could force many casters in the Magic Kingdom to flee before the end of this turn. And not just Hippymancers. As this page reminds us, Hippymancers have lots of friends among the other casters, and in a desperate enough situation, the Hippymancers will want their friends to escape decryption as well. If the Arkenpliers do prove dangerous enough, Noah's prediction that Nesty could find a fifth of the Magic Kingdom's population suddenly arriving might come true in a way he never imagined.

  • Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 5 - Prologue 31
     Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:20 am 
    User avatar
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Arkenhammer Supporter
    Offline
    Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:44 pm
    Posts: 385
    The title of this page, "A fifth of what now?", could be foreshadowing a major blind spot of most of the towers: the Magic Kingdom is very unlike anything outside it, its structures and customs may not be predictable from scripture, and Shirley may be the only tower that has had a chance to observe it directly (via the Arkendish). It's easy to forget that it was a surprising revelation when it was first revealed that there were Side-spanning factions headquartered in the Magic Kingdom, as its inhabitants have been maintaining a masquerade that the free casters are nothing but a bunch of individual "barbarians".

  • Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 5 - Prologue 31
     Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:09 am 
    User avatar
    Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 4:03 pm
    Posts: 262
    For me, the interest in the dialogue between Noah and Sugar is in how much a Tower can change. I expect they can change as much as any other Living unit. And in whether Sugar will understand the need to duck its head beneath the canopy for now. Can it do so, without schmuckers being spent?

    ***

    The Power of the Flower being friendship, or rather: people skills, is not a reveal, but a nice way to summarize it. Of course it is more than that, but people skills are at the core of Date-a-mancy and many Hippie powers. Where Turnamancy forces, Date-a-mancy forges and strengthens bonds.

    ***

    The knowledge we have of the MK going haywire, which Noah lacks, builds suspense. I assume and hope the prologue will not last much longer. While the conversation betwen Noah and Sugar isn't resolved yet, it might easily be interrupted. I mean, they have an entire book to resolve their dispute. It might even be a major side plot if isn't resolved.

    So let's interrupt it with some news / refugees from the MK...

    ***

    The art is improving leaps and bounds. I didn't comment on the last page because I was late in finding it and my two cents had already been spent by like-minded others. Xin's art still surpasses it in artistry and expressivity, but it can definitely hold it's own. Expressions will be an important hurdle yet.

    Some of the style comes too close to realism. such as the little owl-on-its-side figurine and the sandstone slab in the niche, whose carvings are so intricate that the realism reminds me of Arkentools. They are beyond drawings, since they are clearly not drawn. Textures, not lines.

    If the divide between Arkentools and the world in general gets broken, I can live with it though.

    The art is mostly illustration, and is starting to add information of its own. Mostly by fleshing out Sugar.

    _________________
    Tramennis: "Never imagined I'd be in here, did you?"
    Ansom: "The closet? Certainly not." Book3 p84

  • Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 5 - Prologue 31
     Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:35 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day For when you need it most Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Clubs Suit Pip Spades Suit Pip Hearts Suit Pip Diamonds Suit Pip Erfmover Supporter Arkenhammer Supporter Royal Scepter Supporter Sometimes They Even Fail
    Offline
    Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:54 pm
    Posts: 706
    KeiranHalcyon31 wrote:
    Lipkin wrote:
    The problem is, Noah doesn't seem to realize he's describing how World War 1 started.

    He's only describing half of how WWI started. It's only a problem if a different fifth of the MK is inclined to aid the hypothetical invader (or oppose the first fifth).


    Given that one of the sides that would be most interested in owning Nestleý's capital site is Charlsecomm, that MK civil war isn't too far fetched.

  • Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 5 - Prologue 31
     Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:51 am 
    This user is a Tool! Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
    Offline
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:42 am
    Posts: 48
    Jaxad0127 wrote:
    KeiranHalcyon31 wrote:
    Lipkin wrote:
    The problem is, Noah doesn't seem to realize he's describing how World War 1 started.

    He's only describing half of how WWI started. It's only a problem if a different fifth of the MK is inclined to aid the hypothetical invader (or oppose the first fifth).


    Given that one of the sides that would be most interested in owning Nestleý's capital site is Charlsecomm, that MK civil war isn't too far fetched.


    Also remember the lonesome Archon who was observing something important in the woods. Did we ever told what it was or can I assume it is Nestly

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 5 - Prologue 31
     Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:05 am 
    User avatar
    Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf
    Offline
    Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:53 am
    Posts: 63
    Ah, soft power.
    I have to agree. So easy to forget, but so dangerous to ignore.

    A good charisma roll can make or break a battle... or even simple ensure it never happens, while you still win it. XD

  • Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 5 - Prologue 31
     Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:56 am 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Offline
    Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:56 pm
    Posts: 64
    Chit Rule Railroad wrote:
    The title of this page, "A fifth of what now?", could be foreshadowing a major blind spot of most of the towers: the Magic Kingdom is very unlike anything outside it, its structures and customs may not be predictable from scripture, and Shirley may be the only tower that has had a chance to observe it directly (via the Arkendish). It's easy to forget that it was a surprising revelation when it was first revealed that there were Side-spanning factions headquartered in the Magic Kingdom, as its inhabitants have been maintaining a masquerade that the free casters are nothing but a bunch of individual "barbarians".

    Don't know how much it's used throughout the world but in Australia "1/5 or 3/5 of f :jetstone: ck-all" means sweet f <O> ck-all. Not metric or imperial but units of f-all (known to the more refined as bugger-all).

    For example when asked how much rain had fallen a farmer might reply "A fifth of f :wanda: ck-all mate.". Cockies don't like to waste words so "Gotta fifth mate." would suffice.

    When asked of his chances of getting laid a friend could honestly reply "You've got three fifths of f :tv: ck-all chances mate." That friend may have had a few beverages so could communicate the same message with "Ya've got three fifths mate."

  • Tipped by 4 people!
  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 5 - Prologue 31
     Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:52 am 
    User avatar
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day For when you need it most Hearts Suit Pip Spades Suit Pip
    Offline
    Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:28 pm
    Posts: 102
    KeiranHalcyon31 wrote:
    That said, Noah is in gross violation of the unspoken plan guarantee.


    <GASP> A link to TVTropes, without the required warnings and cautions?? Shame on YOU, ser... shame on YOU!

    (and on a workday morning, as well... have you NO shame?

  • Tipped by 6 people!
  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 5 - Prologue 31
     Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:11 am 
    User avatar
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
    Offline
    Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:27 am
    Posts: 934
    Heathen Power wrote:
    Don't know how much it's used throughout the world but in Australia "1/5 or 3/5 of f :jetstone: ck-all" means sweet f <O> ck-all. Not metric or imperial but units of f-all (known to the more refined as bugger-all).

    I'm greatly amused by the fact that "he says bugger all instead of fuck all" counts as being "more refined" in Australia. :mrgreen:

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 5 - Prologue 31
     Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:34 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Offline
    Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:23 pm
    Posts: 210
    Heathen Power wrote:
    Chit Rule Railroad wrote:
    The title of this page, "A fifth of what now?", could be foreshadowing a major blind spot of most of the towers: the Magic Kingdom is very unlike anything outside it, its structures and customs may not be predictable from scripture, and Shirley may be the only tower that has had a chance to observe it directly (via the Arkendish). It's easy to forget that it was a surprising revelation when it was first revealed that there were Side-spanning factions headquartered in the Magic Kingdom, as its inhabitants have been maintaining a masquerade that the free casters are nothing but a bunch of individual "barbarians".

    Don't know how much it's used throughout the world but in Australia "1/5 or 3/5 of f :jetstone: ck-all" means sweet f <O> ck-all. Not metric or imperial but units of f-all (known to the more refined as bugger-all).
    A fifth is also the nickname for the most common unit of liquor, a bottle containing 1/5 of a gallon. "A fifth of what now?" makes me think of someone asking questions while stocking a bar or going on a booze run. Nestley sells it's rum by the cask, though, and I can't think of any particular connections between alcohol and whats currently going on. Sugar isn't Jed, after all.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 5 - Prologue 31
     Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:35 am 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Offline
    Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:54 am
    Posts: 132
    greycat wrote:
    Heathen Power wrote:
    Don't know how much it's used throughout the world but in Australia "1/5 or 3/5 of f :jetstone: ck-all" means sweet f <O> ck-all. Not metric or imperial but units of f-all (known to the more refined as bugger-all).

    I'm greatly amused by the fact that "he says bugger all instead of fuck all" counts as being "more refined" in Australia. :mrgreen:


    Oz is a magical place...

    About the art: I'm missing some consistency in representation. we have a gray shadowless figurine, a 2D- cat statue, a nicely lit and shadowy mask in three seperate frames, followed by a sandcolored, shadowed figurine, a 3D cat statue and a very flatly lit purple mask. The mask also seems to look at the reader, not directed at Noah. It's not flush with the turning wall. Also, the last frame has too much text balloons coming from different places. The flow is a bit lost on my.

    BUT, all in all? I like it. There's progress being made, changes are being implemented. Hope it continues.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 5 - Prologue 31
     Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:03 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day For when you need it most Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Clubs Suit Pip Spades Suit Pip Hearts Suit Pip Diamonds Suit Pip Erfmover Supporter Arkenhammer Supporter Royal Scepter Supporter Sometimes They Even Fail
    Offline
    Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:54 pm
    Posts: 706
    DeanXeL wrote:
    About the art: I'm missing some consistency in representation. we have a gray shadowless figurine, a 2D- cat statue, a nicely lit and shadowy mask in three seperate frames, followed by a sandcolored, shadowed figurine, a 3D cat statue and a very flatly lit purple mask. The mask also seems to look at the reader, not directed at Noah. It's not flush with the turning wall.

    I see some shadows in panel 1, not as much as panel 4, sure. Panels 2 and 3 are perfectly head on, so they look very flat (maybe avoid this in the future?). Panel 4 shows perspective. The mask in panel 4 seems to be on an octagonal corner, so its orientation is a bit weird. Or does that landing have a curved wall? Hard to tell here.

    The light source looks very inconsistent between the first three panels and number 4.

    DeanXeL wrote:
    Also, the last frame has too much text balloons coming from different places. The flow is a bit lost on my.

    Agreed.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
    Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     
    Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ] 

    Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions


    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Alan von Neuring, Menas, slashzap and 11 guests

     
     

     
    You cannot post new topics in this forum
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot post attachments in this forum

    Search for:
    Jump to: