Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post subject: Book 5 - Prologue 18
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:58 pm 
This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a member of Team Erfworld IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Mined 4 Erf
New One is up.

Yup, updates are back-ish. A whole lot of people said they would like us to at least post short ones, even without art. I still strongly believe these wouldn't work without art, but we've reached a point where the 3D process we're developing can be pressed into producing a few illustrations that support the text.

This art style is not necessarily what Book 5 panels will look like. The process is still experimental and in active development. We're learning by doing. You're going to see us trying many different ways to do panel composition, lighting, shading, colors, line styles, detail levels, etc. I'd appreciate your thoughts and feedback on the illustrations as well as the story.

It will still be hard for me to write this way, especially with Horrible Thing 2 going on. That takes a ton of our attention and mindshare away, and the modeling project demands most of the rest. But we're doing it, in part because existing Toolshed pledges are the easiest and best way to pay the bills, but also because I just miss writing Erfworld.

On a note related to paying the bills, we're going to continue the Make/100 collectibles soon. But because of some of the problems involved in doing those as Kickstarters (communications channels, a lack of flexibility on format/rewards/project length, Kickstarter's payment/approval/process delays, Kickstarter's 5% cut...) we want to tweak a few things. We'll relaunch the Scepter of Jetstone via the Erfworld store soon, with plenty of heads up if you want to grab you a pew.

Thanks for reading. Feels good to be posting again.

• Tipped by 6 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post subject: Re: Book 5 - Prologue 18
     Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:08 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Spades Suit Pip
    Fun update! Love seeing more from Paige's perspective, and very happy to have new Erfworld to read -- always a treat! Still sending good vibes your way concerning the ongoing trials and tribulations and will keep an eye out for the next KS project :)

EDIT:
    I was so happy to have an update to read that I forgot to provide the feedback you asked for above. I like the artwork included with this update and I think it works just fine. I could read the hand-written note and the final panel looks sort of rustic-Erfish in a way I quite like for this portion of the story.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:32 pm 
    This user has been published! Shiny Red Star This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter This user got funny with a rodent Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Ruler of Erfworld Diamonds Suit Pip Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Clubs Suit Pip Erfmover Supporter Arkenhammer Supporter
    Crumbs and crackers, Dickie was calling someone paranoid? Yowza.

As for feedback on the illustration... on the one hand, it's very good, in that it reminds me of a picture put through a filter. On the other, that's edging into a sort of uncanny valley, where it doesn't look erf-y enough, if that makes sense.

Ask Count Downer is over and archived now.

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:32 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Erfmover Supporter
    I like the art, but I think the real test will be how living things look. I'm also wondering how the Arken Tools will look, since previously they were the only things that were 3d rendered, making them appear unerfly. I'm curious if another method will be employed to achieve the same effect.

I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:55 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Ruler of Erfworld Hearts Suit Pip Spades Suit Pip Erfmover Supporter Clubs Suit Pip Arkenhammer Supporter
    I liked the update.

Since the sample size is still small, its hard to judge the art. Because in some way there is no right or wrong (as long as there is no radical difference). Subjective prefferance and expectations are really what's competing for argument's sake.

Seeing the grain in the wood was a bit odd at first, but looking back to book 1, even there, there were some qute graphic wounds depicted there. So close-up details aren't completely new.
    (edit: also perhaps that the grain on the sides doesn't match the grain on the topside. At least as far as I've seen in regards to wooden tables. Also that might also be an issue with too much detail, you might get hung up in details you shouldn't be hung up over and shouldn't spend extra time in getting perfect.)

From what I'm looking at so far, and what Lipkin also pointed to is the Titan Tools Vs. the rest of Erf.
    Maybe a simple check could be to put the Arkentools in each panel and see if a non-Tool seems a little too much like a Tool.
    For me the highlights on the side of the typewriter gives it that extra Toolish "vibe".

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:12 am 
    This user is a Tool! Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    I'm in the camp that enjoys the text updates at least as much as all-graphic ones.

As to the artwork, looks fine for a still life, but as Lipkin said, the real test will be how characters and other living creatures look.

Was stunned to discover a Tuesday update though; it's awesome to see Art triumphing over Adversity. I can only perceive that as a "Take that!" against all the bad mojo Rob and Linda have been struggling through.

Keep up the keepin' on!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:38 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user is a Tool! Shiny Red Star Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Spades Suit Pip Clubs Suit Pip
    I'm seeing the _900_web file instead of a _1200_highres image. Bug?
    Though, I guess that's fine since there's not that much small details that requires 1200 anyway.

----

It's interesting to read that there were more archezoans than just the king.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:49 am 
    Shiny Red Star Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a member of Team Erfworld This user has been published! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Shiny Red Star Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins For when you need it most Celebrated Rob and Linda's 1st Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Clubs Suit Pip Spades Suit Pip Hearts Suit Pip Diamonds Suit Pip Erfmover Supporter Arkenhammer Supporter
    DukeBG wrote:
    I'm seeing the _900_web file instead of a _1200_highres image. Bug?

Yep, fixed! Thanks for pointing it out.

Full Avatar by Xin Ye

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:57 am 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    And here I was thinking I was a FOOL for checking Erfworld together with my other regular reads every mo-wed-fri. HA! A new update is MINE! I love this format to keep the story going. But yes, the one piece of "art" (I'm not counting the letter, though the font is beautiful) is not a lot to go on. But it does all look very Tool-y right now. I mean, if you'd lay the Arkenhammer on that desk, it wouldn't stand out as "different".

I wish you best of luck in continuing your fight against The Horrible Things!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:25 am 
    This user is a Tool!
    I really enjoyed this text update. It was a very happy surprise to see it.

As for the art, I really like the letter, with Noah's monogram.

Paige's writing desk, I'm less sold on. The perspective of the table and the size of the typewriter on it, the hard corners of the books, and the texture on the table that flips when it goes around the corner. But I'm nitpicking now because you asked for that.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:26 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    WLM: vaguely_insane@hotmail.com
    The one piece of feedback I have is that I would flatten the textures and shading out much more. Filter it to be flatter and more cartoon - it still looks very like a render at present.

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:14 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Hearts Suit Pip Clubs Suit Pip
    A very nice update Balder. It's good to have you back.

The art style will take some getting used to, but we've gone through several changes in the past. The story will carry it.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:10 am 
    This user is a Tool! IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Clubs Suit Pip For when you need it most Diamonds Suit Pip Shiny Red Star Hearts Suit Pip Spades Suit Pip Erfmover Supporter Arkenhammer Supporter
    Yay, update. Must be a big "What the hellabad is going on" moment for the Wifequeen.

As for the requested comments on the art, I love the art in the letter. As for the desk, hmm, how to put it... It looks very different from the art shown above on the same page which might be whats throwing me off. Erfworld was starting as a comic while this latest example of 3D art is starting to resemble what real life looks like. So personally, I would prefer it if you could somehow get a more "cartoonish" look out of the 3D art, if thats even possible.

Either way, thanks for hanging in there and keeping Erfworld alive. And the best of luck with Horrible Thing 2, whatever it may be.

The Imperfect Warlord
    Avatar by Noip. Thanks again for that!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:35 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Erfmover Supporter Arkenhammer Supporter Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
    I am happy to see updates again. The art is...okay, at this point. I look forward to seeing its progression. If it gets up the hill as well and as wonderfully as Xin's did over the years, all will turn out fine.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:04 am 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    Welcome back, Erfworld updates.

Re: the art: the Royal Type Writer is supposed to look a little bit uncanny, but it should look more uncanny than the other objects around it. It should stand out, just slightly, as being somewhat otherworldly. Not as much as an Arkentool, because it's not in the same class. But it should look more "rendered" than the books next to it.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:05 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Erfmover Supporter Arkenhammer Supporter
    Woohoo! More Erfworld!

It was a good read, as usual. To add to some of the art suggestions, a simple line along the front-facing corner of the books and table would probably help immensely to give them that more cartoon-like feel. The lack of a line along that edge makes it feel much more 3-D than we are used to, especially with the textures present.

That said, Erfworld has been steadily getting more and more real-looking as the story progressed, even in book one. (Look at Ansom's head in his first appearance vs. his last appearance.) So it isn't unreasonable for the artwork to continue in that direction. Especially with all of the secrets of Erfworld's past beginning to come to light with the awakening of the towers.

• Tipped by 3 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:34 am 
    This user is a Tool! Hearts Suit Pip For when you need it most Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Diamonds Suit Pip Spades Suit Pip Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    Well done.. but I thought my Rain or Shine pledge would be posted with this update. Or have they not run, yet? Just curious, but here, Take My Money!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:39 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user has been published! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits For when you need it most Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Clubs Suit Pip Ruler of Erfworld Spades Suit Pip Diamonds Suit Pip Erfmover Supporter Arkenhammer Supporter
    You just made my week!

I am most impressed. I understand the issues already mentioned. Although i cannot agree with them all outright, i cannot dismiss any of them either. Especially given the growth of experience, none of these minor concerns are deal breakers for me. I am excited to see this new iteration of Erfworld unfold.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:25 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user has been published!
    Squee!!! New update! If I didn't have Horrible Thing of my own that prevents me from updating, I'd pledge because of it.

It's always a joy to see your updates just because of the quality of the raw emotion you express in your writing. This is what is so good. Lots of people can plot and twist, but being able to express as well is art.

Speaking of art, the art is entirely appropriate for the update. The unerfly nature of it helps get across the unerfly nature of Archezoa and how it warped Nestley.

I get the feeling that the Archezoans got a look outside of Plato's Cave, and just hearing about it has given Paige nightmares.

Rise of the Stagemancer: Part 1 Trust Me
    A tale of Rhyme-o-mancy: The Noble Gasses

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:14 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf This user is a Tool! Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Ruler of Erfworld Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Diamonds Suit Pip Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
    HOORAY!! UPDATE!! <3 <3 <3

re: Art - I didn't even notice the style change until I read the forums. Upon 2nd look, I do see it. It doesn't bug me at all. But this also isn't one of those art-panels that contains either people, or plot critical info that's not in the text. Waiting eagerly for the next chance to "review" new update art!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions