Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post subject: Re: Book 5 - Prologue 17
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:57 am 
Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Diamonds Suit Pip Erfmover Supporter Arkenhammer Supporter
So... I am pretty sure this island will indeed become a refuge. I suspect the MK is going to become a major battleground in the future, caster against caster, free vs free, and things will get bad. When things break, business as usual becomes impossible, then the hippiemancers will venture here.

Think they have avoided notice of Charlies prying eye?

Better hope he doesn't figure out a way to locate all the capitals by somehow using the dish to determine tower locations.

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:59 am 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Clubs Suit Pip Diamonds Suit Pip Hearts Suit Pip
    tadthornhill wrote:
    Bandaid wrote:
    Man, we just discovered yet another level of suck in Erfworld. Imagine being a Hippiemancer, with a desire for peace and love being a core component of your whole existence. Now imagine also being knowlegdeable about your Signamancy and the Signamancy of guns. You know you will love those things once you see them in action. You will want them. Perhaps even more then you want peace. Your whole personality will change, perhaps forever, and you know this in advance. In the best case scenario you will be craving for something you never can allow yourself to have...

Insanity in cans. Do not worry, Erfworld keeps up a steady supply. You will get yours. It will be personalized and popped just for you.....

I'm not worried about her, remember, her Signamancy is a trick shot artist...

She can shoot weapons out of units' hands. What could be more aligned with Hippiemancy than that? :mrgreen:
    Considering that for most people in the MK the hands ARE their weapons, that isn’t all that reassuring.

In fact, possessing a gun potentially could lead to a self-deluded sense of omnipotence and entitlement to rule (much like Buck Nugget began to display, and Janis called him out on), and it strikes me that this is Annie’s greatest fear.

Loving the truly Hippiemancer phraseology in that contract. I wonder if that choice of wording is all Noah. But best of all is the line with the proxy signatures (49). By amendment to the Glade Essentials Covenant.

(For the benefit of our non-North American members, Glade Essentials is the brand name of a line of room fresheners.

https://www.glade.com/en/products/spray ... -room-mist)

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:48 am 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Deo wrote:
    So... I am pretty sure this island will indeed become a refuge. I suspect the MK is going to become a major battleground in the future, caster against caster, free vs free, and things will get bad. When things break, business as usual becomes impossible, then the hippiemancers will venture here.

Yes this was my initial feeling as well, which makes me suspicious. In the past this story has twisted and turned so much that initial feelings often become moot.

Right now I am keen to meet this personality of the new tower and find out how Noah and Paige will adapt to it. They have entrenched personalities and a tower can create a huge change to the balance within a side, especially a side so fragile to change.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:36 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day For when you need it most Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Clubs Suit Pip Spades Suit Pip Hearts Suit Pip Diamonds Suit Pip Erfmover Supporter Arkenhammer Supporter
    Syrup Roast wrote:
    If I'm reading this right the city is situated right at the border of the current hex and disguised like a storm hex to discourage continuing in that direction.

But if they're adjacent hexes, wouldn't explorers on the current hex suddenly experience alternating turns with an unknown side? That might pique interest westward if it's the only direction they can find that might hide units from another side. Or am I remembering the turns rules wrong?

Nestlý is in the middle hex of a round 7 hex island. You can see the island at the top of prologue 16. The fact that Nestlý is on an island but not the coast is why sides are stuck there: no coast means no ships.

The fake storm is on one of those jungle/coast hexes. Coming from the ocean, the island hex looks like a storm hex instead. When you get close enough, the storm is shown to be false and you see a jungle island, but with no indication that anything is on it. Scouting from the ocean should indicate the lack of coastal city sites, leaving the island as just a curiosity, not somewhere you can colonize.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:41 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    ElementalNimbus wrote:
    That looks a lot like a wooden mask to me, I feel like I've seen its exact likeness before but I cannot quite place my finger on it. Looking forward to the theories of the tower's signamancy.

While I'll always crave more story, I really do love the layers of simultaneous things happening leading up to the next plot ark. Fate weaves a tricky web indeed.
    I particularly recognize that slanted "missing" portion on the top left. Because I too have either seen that mask or have gone crazy and convinced myself that I have.

Maybe we're looking at the back of the tower :)

Vendanna wrote:
    paskal wrote:
    so Noah is visiting mk only half-tenturns. Is using half-tenturns instead of fiveturns means tenturn is a week like turnamancy term? Does that mean erfworld has a DnD like 10 day week? Or is it just a language thing?

well, its understandable why they prefer "tenturns" because tenturns is 10, and cpus read in binary (only 1's and 0) and we are looking at a datamancer perspective. or maybe this was just coincidence.
    Yeah, I read that as the erfworld equivalent of "half a dozen" myself.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:55 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    I can't find that face in pop culture. It's not Zelda, not Ghibli, and not Jim Carey either. Well, the other Tutelaries are all from something deeper than pop culture anyways.

It will be hard to search through ancient sculptures and mummies to find something that matches that face style. Haven't found any matches, though that style of eye is quite common, but so far paired with equally sharp noses. And even if I find a match, it won't help figure out how the Tutelary will act, any more than knowing Charlie's venus statues helped figure out she would act like a Mississippi housewife. Still, perhaps loading my head with these images will help once there is a better view of who is there.

Ahh ha ha, nooooope Rob is going to change scenes and we won't get back here until after a bunch of other characters get their spotlight. Tramennis must dance in his burning city like mad king Nero, or else we get to see the sort of relationship a Capital site that popped a long line of his early ancestors has with a King in foreshadowing of how Nestly's capital will be important, or he will be coached back into using his negotiation skills again, or at least to learn how to make an executive decision as to when to use them, and when to instead give a disbanded order for his court to do something more useful than wasting his time.

Or maybe we'll Ansom and Vinnie at Faq, we can see if capital sites that aren't towers have been awakened as well. Kid siblings to Tutelaries could open even more possibilities that could cause us to spend more time between each scene.

I kvetch because I love reading Erfworld. And I know Balder wants a deeper story, and so he is widening the actor pool. But it has become so wide that I hope that all the different side stories will break at short story endings and not end of chapter cliffhangers. I hope... but I don't trust just yet, it has been kind of half and halfsies.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:19 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Bit of an odd aside that recently occurred to me: I'm surprised we don't see more advertising by free casters to sides that are prospective clients. If the Short Pier has an average of about one visitor a day then clearly free casters as a whole need more sources of upkeep. The only advertising within Erfworld that I can think of, though, is (a) Charlescomm or (b) a weird, ineffectual mess.

If Signamancers can publish books I'm sure they can printamancy up some flyers. Portal park has access to literally every side in the world's capital. Pop some paper ads, slide them "under the door" through a side's portal, and you or your group should be the first ones to come to mind when side X needs a Y-amancer.

Maybe the economics of it all just don't work in Erfwold? Maybe the casters who can't make upkeep are just unwanted at the end of the day, even if they do try and sell themselves? It would tickle me to have Zhoppa start bringing Parson a big wad of junk mail at the start of each turn, though. "Meet that special someone!" "Uncroaked made to order!" "This ad found you, now let us find for you!"

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:27 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day This user is a Tool!
    Problem with that is those walking to the short pier wouldn't be able to afford paying those fliers as they can't even afford their own upkeep.

That and a side would need some means of contacting those casters.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:14 pm 
    Double posted by accident and unsure how to remove posts

Last edited by FutureOreo on Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:17 pm 
    First, I just finished reading Terry Pratchett's "Men at Arms," and Annie's situation with the gun reminds me of how the gonne outright possessed its wielders in Pratchett's book.

Second, I wonder how aware Annie is of her own Signamancy. Does she know that she represents a gunner from a play (I've never watched/read "Annie Get Your Gun" so I really have no way to tell) from Stupidworld? Is she able to infer her love of guns from the specific Signamancy that makes her resemble play Annie, without realizing that these features are similar to something from Stupidworld? Or is she just referring to something else, such as her lust for guns?

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:37 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    It's a cocoa pod. Fitting for Nestly.

Fun facts about cocoa, the trees need super specific environment conditions, it takes five years for a tree to start growing fruit, and they're expected to go extinct in the next twenty

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:07 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins For when you need it most Diamonds Suit Pip Hearts Suit Pip Clubs Suit Pip
    Is anyone able to read that green note?

I can pick out a few longer words: "Happening," "Magic Kingdom," "Noah," "Hippiemancer," "following," "officially"... but I can't make sense of it as a whole.

Edit: Strike that; it's the same as the other note. I don't get why it's in there twice, especially so obscured in one instance, but I get what it says now.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:35 pm 
    Anomynous 167 wrote:
    Problem with that is those walking to the short pier wouldn't be able to afford paying those fliers as they can't even afford their own upkeep.

That and a side would need some means of contacting those casters.
    It's not a solution for those who can't make upkeep, any more than stupidworld advertising would be helpful to a business who has declared bankruptcy and is having their stuff seized. Investing money to keep a steady stream of clients coming does (usually) help keep you from winding up in that desperate place to begin with, however.

Most sides have at least one caster of their own, so "Ask for Bennifer Kimye in the hippiemancer's grove" should be good enough to make a connection. If they're one of those sides that doesn't have any casters it gets a bit trickier, but I'm sure you could find someone to offer you a secure thinkagram at an affordable price :charlie:.

Portals don't disband objects, so you could even have some sort of pre-paid envelope included to return a response in that non-casters could just toss through the portal. Or am I misremembering how normal portals work? Not that the MK has any sort of postal service, but if there are free casters basically starving to death I'm sure the advertiser could make it worth their while to bring responses back to them.

Does the MK have fractional rands? It seems it bit awkward to trade in a currency whose base value is one turn's upkeep, like if the smallest US currency was the twenty dollar bill.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:04 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Nimelennar wrote:

I can pick out a few longer words: "Happening," "Magic Kingdom," "Noah," "Hippiemancer," "following," "officially"... but I can't make sense of it as a whole.

Edit: Strike that; it's the same as the other note. I don't get why it's in there twice, especially so obscured in one instance, but I get what it says now.

Because the first time it's written in gang symbols and the second time it's translated for our convenience :D

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:45 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Marbits For when you need it most Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Clubs Suit Pip Erfmover Supporter
    alowe wrote:
    Nimelennar wrote:

Because the first time it's written in gang symbols and the second time it's translated for our convenience :D

I don't think those are Gang symbols - the note looks more like Strings to me :)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:03 pm 
    authorpunk wrote:
    It's a cocoa pod. Fitting for Nestly.

Fun facts about cocoa, the trees need super specific environment conditions, it takes five years for a tree to start growing fruit, and they're expected to go extinct in the next twenty

Please do at least ten more seconds of research before sharing such a claim.
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/choco ... -40-years/
    Quote:
    Biological extinction, as implied by the headline this information was packaged under, refers to the complete and total removal of a species from the planet — a far cry from a “considerable reduction in area” reported by the IPCC.

Ingrid Parker, a professor of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at UC Santa Cruz, told us that while climate change may make it harder to grow cocoa in Côte d’Ivoire and Ghana, other countries are capable of growing the crop as well: “Cacao [cocoa] is grown in other places, like Australia, and it’s not even native to Africa (it comes from the New World).”

• Tipped by 3 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:21 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit IRC Quote of the Moment
    FutureOreo wrote:
    Second, I wonder how aware Annie is of her own Signamancy. Does she know that she represents a gunner from a play (I've never watched/read "Annie Get Your Gun" so I really have no way to tell) from Stupidworld? Is she able to infer her love of guns from the specific Signamancy that makes her resemble play Annie, without realizing that these features are similar to something from Stupidworld? Or is she just referring to something else, such as her lust for guns?

Dunno, but I'm expecting a call back to michael jackson lyrics of "annie are you Ok?" from smooth criminal with her.

Math's is in the air! <- date Open until march 1st!

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:59 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Aaarggh. I am ridiculously invested in Noah as a person, and this is all ominous, especially with Fumo's signamancy of the ship "ark" burning, and the impending publication attacking Fate. Can Noah really succeed in opposing Fate when every non-Charlie in Erfworld hasn't even come close so far?

Cheering for Noah, here.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:25 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Hearts Suit Pip Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Diamonds Suit Pip
    Yay! I'm excited to see this storyline intersect with the main plot in a major way!

Boy, it sure seems like a lot of people are going to "crash Noah's pad" very shortly -- not only the Hippiemancers (if the Signs hold true), but also Fumo and the prisoners from Carpool. Paige is not going to be happy.

FutureOreo wrote:

Note sure why you're referring to specifically "play Annie"; the play is based on the real-life Annie Oakley.

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:30 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Clubs Suit Pip Diamonds Suit Pip Hearts Suit Pip
    FutureOreo wrote:

Ummm, really? Annie Get Your Gun is no mere play, it’s a musical (and a movie musical). More importantly, the musical is based on the life of an actual historical figure (Annie Oakley), who really did travel with Buffalo Bill’s* Wild West Show, and really was friends with her fellow trouper, Chief Sitting Bull.**

Sorry if that came off as condescending; I didn’t intend it that way. The way you worded your post suggested that you actually thought she was the creation of a playwright.

*also real
    ** same

Dammit, ninja’d!

Note: if you look at her signature on that Wikipedia page in Lingo’s link, you’ll note that Xin did an excellent job duplicating it. Very impressive!

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions