Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post subject: Re: Book 5 - Prologue 16
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:00 am 
Here for the 10th Anniversary Celebrated Rob and Linda's 1st
Cinder39134 wrote:
So Scott's cochlea has ears. Does Scott have some way to listen through the trees that have been implanted, or is the Nautilus Machine some sort of Shell-Anchored Hearing Aid? Certainly, since there's no Signamancer around anymore, he has no Sign interpreter, and Cryptolemy seems to be making it quite hard to read his own lips at the very least.

...Does this imply that Scott can't actually hear naturally, or that he prefers to hear with assistive technologies?

Well, what Scott can and cannot hear is known (currently) by only two people, himself and Noah.

That being said. This is an interesting twist, that the mathamancer who usually gets his answers by "looking up" is now getting one BIG answer by looking down. It is also an interesting twist because his usual "looking up" would be... disconnected... from the reality around him, full of numbers and statistics, but nothing "real". Whereas now, reality with NO NUMBERS (except perhaps, 1) is screaming it's existence at him.

It is a bit of a breath of fresh (salty sea) air to see a contract that somehow ISN'T all rules-lawyer-y and stuff, just a simple contract between two simple people with simple needs and simple goals coming together and NOT trying to screw each other over.

limitations of flower-power seems indicated, Noah needed dirt (or something that counted as dirt) in order to grow the shade trees and... water-barrel? I'm sure there's a punny name for some kind of water based plant. My mind first (and incorrectly) goes to the waterwheel plant, mostly because I found the carnivorous plants most interesting (look it up). Looking twice... a water-barrel-cactus?

Cryptolomy might be clamming up but the sailors seem at least a little more relaxed. I don't think I'd put my feet on the "sod" there though... unless perhaps if a tree wasn't all that was growing on it, like a fine grass or perhaps a thick moss.

Now I'm starting to like Fumo more, his "less than zero desire" to go kicking and smashing his captives is also a refreshing thing.

Noah is in a bit of a bind though. He needs to get the sailors out of there and there are only 2 options, kill them or trade them back to their original side. I suppose he could try to convince them to join Fumo... but Fumo doesn't really have a "side" to join. So yeah, 2 options. And the second option involves getting into more contact with a side that could rat them out.

I'm thinking the only way to go with option 2 is to put them all under an NDA of some kind. Unfortunately, this current contract we're seeing here indicates some potential loophole abuse for that kind of contract.

The tension may not be very high, but the potential for the crap hitting the fan is still there.

Oh crap! If this is any time NEAR what we'd call "the present" then... when are they getting their own tower revamped?

• Tipped by 3 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:02 am 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Diamonds Suit Pip
    AOL: Warcraftace
    Easily the best contract we've seen yet.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:44 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Erfmover Supporter
    The caster is described as being in "prisoner whites" but the image shows him in his usual yellow coat. Continuity error?

I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:49 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Arci wrote:
    I'm thinking the only way to go with option 2 is to put them all under an NDA of some kind. Unfortunately, this current contract we're seeing here indicates some potential loophole abuse for that kind of contract.

Noah may or may not be a Master Signamancer, but he likely knows enough to avoid such pitfalls. I suspect that any vagueness in his contracts would be found to end up in his favor.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:00 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Hearts Suit Pip Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Diamonds Suit Pip
    Cinder39134 wrote:
    So Scott's cochlea has ears. Does Scott have some way to listen through the trees that have been implanted, or is the Nautilus Machine some sort of Shell-Anchored Hearing Aid? Certainly, since there's no Signamancer around anymore, he has no Sign interpreter, and Cryptolemy seems to be making it quite hard to read his own lips at the very least.

...Does this imply that Scott can't actually hear naturally, or that he prefers to hear with assistive technologies?

You mean...via cochlear implant?

(You knew someone would spell out the joke, it might as well be me! :D )

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:16 am 
    Has collected at least one unit
    It's a good sign though if you think Fumo is contracted to not tell you secrets. After all, if Fumo was to actually tell you what you wanted to know, the only reasons would be they expected you to never leave, or to not be able to leave due to being croaked.

Keep playing games. Make time to play games with your friends and family, because it's surprisingly heartbreaking to wipe a thin layer of dust off a game you love, before you put it back on the shelf because the real world is calling you.

-Wil Wheaton

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:24 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    DreadArchon wrote:
    Noah may or may not be a Master Signamancer, but he likely knows enough to avoid such pitfalls. I suspect that any vagueness in his contracts would be found to end up in his favor.

Noah is a date-a-mancer and a florist-hippie. "Decent guy" holds worlds of meaning for him that would be unfathomable normally. I can almost guarantee that this contract was created with a parallel date-a-mancy connection that underlies the "vagueness" in ways that make a "legalese" contract largely unnecessary.

• Tipped by 5 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:55 am 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Marbits For when you need it most Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Clubs Suit Pip Erfmover Supporter
    I definitely agree that the contract is a lot less vague than it looks... We know that contracts rely on the underlying intentions of the signers, so if Noah and Fumo were on the same page, the specific wording shouldn't ever become an issue.

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:36 am 
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins This user got funny with a rodent Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Clubs Suit Pip Hearts Suit Pip
    Now why are they looking for said side?

Hmmm, questions, questions, questions. I really wish i knew what was in that diary that paige has. I have this feeling that something's sitting in plain sight, but much like scott, the majority is hidden out of sight, yet it's surprisingly important.

Thought does occur from our yellow coated mathmancers comments. Could Scott have been tamed by one of the 99 original sides...

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:04 am 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    So it looks like Nestly has 7 land hexes, which isn't the worst case scenario, but it's not great either. If the city is in the middle hex, it probably can't pop sea units, either. Not adjacent to water. Only ferals to fight or tame, so you can't pay for much. Kind of a bummer starting location.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:46 am 
    This user was a Tool before it was cool This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter This user is a Tool! Diamonds Suit Pip Spades Suit Pip
    Lipkin wrote:
    The caster is described as being in "prisoner whites" but the image shows him in his usual yellow coat. Continuity error?

It looks like he is in prisoner garb but with the coat over top. I'm presuming the coat is a magic item rather than regular raiment and as such is subject to being looted rather than just automagically disappearing the way that raiment does. After that, I presume Fumo gave it back to Cryptolemy or just never took it away in the first place out of basic decency.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:28 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary
    I am not seeing any ambiguity or hidden meanings in the contract here. Noah knows Fumo better than Fumo knows himself and he knows that these words will have the desired result.

If it were Parson then he'd presumably use more words, but on the most basic level Fumo is looking for someone to obey. There's no need to worry about wiggle-room with someone you know won't wiggle.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:47 am 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day For when you need it most Clubs Suit Pip Hearts Suit Pip Spades Suit Pip Diamonds Suit Pip
    Arci wrote:
    That being said. This is an interesting twist, that the mathamancer who usually gets his answers by "looking up" is now getting one BIG answer by looking down.

Toast on a stick. I can't believe I missed that. Mathamancers "look up" their answers. I guess I'm not old school enough.

(In my defense, I thought it was a reference to the fact that lots of ancient mathematicians were famed as astronomers.)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:17 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Hearts Suit Pip Clubs Suit Pip
    This was a delightful update.

For some reason the contract was a real cherry on the cake as well, and not just because of the beautiful illustration. Everything came together perfectly today.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:52 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Erfmover Supporter
    So, is Noah not on Scott anymore? Where did he go?

I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:13 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day This user is a Tool!
    Arci wrote:
    Now I'm starting to like Fumo more, his "less than zero desire" to go kicking and smashing his captives is also a refreshing thing.

Fumo's "less than zero desire" is because he is contractually obliged to be a "top bloke" and remain a top bloke on top of the Naughtilus lest Noah stops paying his upkeep. If he starts being abusive to his decently-sized fellow-ship, that's bye-bye upkeep.

He is motivated to keep his company in good health.

Also signing yourself as "Chief caster to his side" is a lovely ambiguous and weasely way to sign a contract.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:15 am 
    Has collected at least one unit
    Quote:

He left on a whale, according to the fourth paragraph after the tree picture.

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:14 pm 
    trainbrain27 wrote:
    Quote:

He left on a whale, according to the fourth paragraph after the tree picture.

Missed that. Thanks.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:13 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    After seeing that contract it's all but official, Noah is the anti-Charlie. Un-Charlie? Chuck's "everlasting upkeep" pitch shows him approaching a similar problem very differently.

Last edited by DukeofTuring on Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:20 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Anomynous 167 wrote:
    Arci wrote:

Fumo's "less than zero desire" is because he is contractually obliged to be a "top bloke" and remain a top bloke on top of the Naughtilus lest Noah stops paying his upkeep. If he starts being abusive to his decently-sized fellow-ship, that's bye-bye upkeep.

He is motivated to keep his company in good health.
    Desire suggests something much deeper and more emotional than knowing what's in his best interests. You can desire having candy for lunch or taking a nap in the middle of the workday while still bowing to external factors and avoiding doing those things.

• Tipped by 3 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions