Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post subject: Book 5 - Prologue 6
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:00 am 
This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a member of Team Erfworld IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Mined 4 Erf
New One is up.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post subject: Re: Book 5 - Prologue 6
     Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:15 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    That... was certainly interesting. Like the discussion of unused words like broadcast, democracy, and prehistory

-The Song of Maybe

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:19 am 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary This user is a Tool! Hearts Suit Pip
    Also interesting that Noah has been able to in some way form a free natural defense for the city as well as other features.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:20 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    AOL: N64PSDCnow
    Well we have an answer as to why Noah cares about random barbarian warlords.

King Archibald. There is a type of chair called an Archibald King. Sure I am missing some obvious references there.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:22 am 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day For when you need it most Clubs Suit Pip Hearts Suit Pip Spades Suit Pip
    I am intrigued by the fact that "Archie" didn't know the portal would disband him. Apparently that is established lore as opposed to being one of those things that units are popped knowing.

• Tipped by 4 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:26 am 
    This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a Tool! This user has been published! This user got funny with a rodent Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Spades Suit Pip
    I need to sleep on the morals here, because there's a lot of meta in the physics.

For now, it's enough of a gear-grinder to suppose that Nestly is on its second Ruler ever. I mean, I don't know for sure that there were no Rulers between King Archetype and Paige... but it seems a fair guess. And if that's so, then who knows how booping old she is.

Maybe their tower will be someone with a sense of humor. That seems like it's be a helpful thing both for someone caught up in celebrity and for someone who's feeling world-weary.

Also, Wifequeen and Chief Husband are the most adorably equal titles I've ever seen in this comic. And they even have an inside joke for their arguments. <3

---

I have a fanfiction archive here and a DeviantArt page -- including Erfworld fanart this site hasn't seen -- here!

• Tipped by 4 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:27 am 
    This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter E is for Erfworld Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Hearts Suit Pip Diamonds Suit Pip
    Sixty wrote:
    King Archibald. There is a type of chair called an Archibald King. Sure I am missing some obvious references there.

Archibald Type, or "Archie Type", get it?

Also, I'm surprised "hijack" is an obscure word. Jillian did just that to the paddle-boat in Book 0 and I'm sure she was far from the first to manage such a feat.

Wonder what's so dangerous about the story of a primordial tribe. Did Archie get any instructions straight from the Titans on his first turn? Were the Tutelaries operational back then?

• Tipped by 10 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:44 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    So I'm sat here wondering, how does anybody know about what happened to Archibald Type and how he died due to portal? Maybe a published suicide note? But then he didn't know it would kill him so, why publish anything about it?

Edit. Derp, it might've been a regular unpublished diary that got left behind.

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:03 am 
    This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter E is for Erfworld Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Hearts Suit Pip Diamonds Suit Pip
    Syrup Roast wrote:
    So I'm sat here wondering, how does anybody know about what happened to Archibald Type and how he died due to portal?

From what we saw in the Fumo updates, Noah probably could have figured it out using his Signamancy abilities, just by reading the diary, walking around, and examining the city site.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:28 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf This user got funny with a rodent Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user is a Tool! Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Hearts Suit Pip
    I like the image of Magic Kingdom casters spending their free time reading gripping true stories of feral warlords, struggling to survive.

I wonder if Erfworlders only write true stories. Is "fiction" a concept that they even understand, or is it one of those little-used mysterious words?

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:31 am 
    Paige getting famous? She must have some innate Turnamancy.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:10 am 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Clubs Suit Pip
    Syrup Roast wrote:
    So I'm sat here wondering, how does anybody know about what happened to Archibald Type and how he died due to portal? Maybe a published suicide note? But then he didn't know it would kill him so, why publish anything about it?

Edit. Derp, it might've been a regular unpublished diary that got left behind.

Well, we know that books pop in Libraries when a side falls. For all we know, King Archie might have stepped into the Portal on his very first day (the fact that Paige seems to have committed a fairly longish Book to memory argues for a longer tenure for him, of course).

In any event, I have the sense that upon Archibald’s disbandment, the city of Nestly, being in a jungle hex, simply became overgrown, and Paige and Noah just stumbled into it, ready to be claimed, several thousandturns later. I’m not prepared to speculate upon their relative ages, or who actually claimed the city (well, it was almost certainly Paige, since she’s the “Queen” and he’s the Chief Caster). Possibly they both popped into n the same hex in the same turn, and stacked up, the better to survive as many turns as possible, and by an incredible stroke of luck almost immediately found the ruins of Nestly, a claimable CAPITAL site, where Noah could get to the Magic Kingdom to score some Rands for their upkeep (the city might have had a little sump’n-sump’n still in the Treasury, though).

Anyway I don’t think the Queenwife is all THAT old...

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:20 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Diamonds Suit Pip
    Caprice wrote:
    Also, I'm surprised "hijack" is an obscure word. Jillian did just that to the paddle-boat in Book 0 and I'm sure she was far from the first to manage such a feat.

I think "capture" would be the more common word for what happens in Erfworld to ships or transports. Or "steal" if you're taking an undefended transport, or "find" if it's not owned.

"Hijack" seems to have implications that aren't common in Erfworld, to me it seems to have connotations that you're taking a civilian transport or taking a transport by subterfuge, or something like that. There's a lot of similar words and I think Erfworlders would use various closely related words instead of "hijack".

Well, what did you do yesterday? Now you know.

Let's all be the kind of people we wish everyone had been then. Show up. Call. Resist.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:29 am 
    Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary This user is a Tool! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Spades Suit Pip
    kaylasdad99 wrote:

In any event, I have the sense that upon Archibald’s disbandment, the city of Nestly, being in a jungle hex, simply became overgrown, and Paige and Noah just stumbled into it, ready to be claimed, several thousandturns later. I’m not prepared to speculate upon their relative ages, or who actually claimed the city (well, it was almost certainly Paige, since she’s the “Queen” and he’s the Chief Caster). Possibly they both popped into n the same hex in the same turn, and stacked up, the better to survive as many turns as possible, and by an incredible stroke of luck almost immediately found the ruins of Nestly, a claimable CAPITAL site, where Noah could get to the Magic Kingdom to score some Rands for their upkeep (the city might have had a little sump’n-sump’n still in the Treasury, though).

I think she popped alone, spent a long time alone, and let him through the portal into her city from the Magic Kingdom. "She'd been so distorted in her first messages. When she'd finally finally let him come through, he'd found something here..."

She considered following Archie every turn for "five thousandturns" so fairly old if I remember the ages of erfworld rulers in general right.

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:31 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Calling it now, Paige's sirname is going to be Turner.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:40 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user posted the comment of the month
    kaylasdad99 wrote:

It's stated that Noah came through to Nestly after he and Paige had been corresponding for some time, and that she nearly killed herself during her long solitude of five thousandturns. She's not as old as the city, though. The "ferals less fortunate than she'd been" points to her finding the empty city, and claiming it.

The Signamancy of Archezoans:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archezoa

I imagine there's also a bit of Roanoke Island mixed in there (with the inscription, "Croatoan", and the abandoned settlement).

Paige has, through the journal, evidence of the cruelty of the Titans. It's stated that the King didn't know that passing through the portal would disband him, so that's something. But it seems to hint at something else. Perhaps the city, stuck inland on an island, is in a position where it couldn't make ships to expand outwards, so it was stuck as a tiny city in the middle of nowhere. That would make the portal - the only way to go other places, meet other people - particularly cruel. Then add in that the city doesn't seem to have enough production to support two people - Noah has to trade in the Magic Kingdom to make ends meet. So the King was stuck alone, in a place he could never leave, and if any units popped they'd soon disband from lack of upkeep. Video wargames frequently have pocket kingdoms like that, places that have to be discovered in some faraway corner of the map in order to conquer the world and win the game. But making such a place when the units living there are sentient? Yikes.

• Tipped by 11 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:02 am 
    Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary This user is a Tool! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Spades Suit Pip
    ErebusVonMori wrote:
    Calling it now, Paige's sirname is going to be Turner.

It is! Her full name is inthere, in the description about writing and celebrity

• Tipped by 4 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:26 am 
    Delores Mulva wrote:
    So the King was stuck alone, in a place he could never leave, and if any units popped they'd soon disband from lack of upkeep.

Oh man, I think you're onto something there. Imagine a King all alone, who could pop sentient units to keep him company, but they'd all disband after a single turn for lack of upkeep. I wonder if his diary is records of all the conversations he had with his friends-for-a-day. That would be a real monument to Titanic cruelty.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:06 am 
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Caprice wrote:
    Sixty wrote:

Archibald Type, or "Archie Type", get it?

Wonder what's so dangerous about the story of a primordial tribe. Did Archie get any instructions straight from the Titans on his first turn? Were the Tutelaries operational back then?

While it could be something exotic like that (and I fully expect to hear more about King Archie, sooner or later), I think it's possible to piece together a danger in this story from what we already know. Namely, it is one thing to note (as must be reasonably common knowledge) that warlords pop every turn without any chance of living past dawn. It is horrifying, and Noah at least seems to think it speaks to the Titans' cruelty, but it can be rationalised away or ignored by most Erfworlders. Erfworld isn't a very nice place even at its best, after all. But it is quite another for much the same position to be thrust upon one of the original 99 Rulers: the people specifically tasked by the Titans with custody of Erfworld. Everything in the Erfworld religion points to this being a very deliberate trust, the idea of a randomly generated barbarian being unable to survive a turn may not rock the faith of the average Erfworlder but the idea of one of the first Kings being confined to an inescapable island with only the production of a single level 1 city for upkeep? That's a dangerous thought, because it implies Royalty are not really any more favoured than random feral warlords.

All that said, part of me wonders if there isn't more to Archie Type than Noah believes (dare I second guess a Master Signamancer). His name suggests a template upon which all other rulers are based, could Nestly have been the Titan's testing platform? Was it made inaccessible for precisely that reason (and Paige's much later arrival would presumably be an unintended bug)? Or perhaps Archibald's life somehow defined what subsequent units know about Erfworld; they pop with knowledge such as "noncasters croak upon entering portals" because that knowledge was entered into the archetype of what Erfworlders know?

• Tipped by 8 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:22 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf
    If Paige invented new stories instead of waiting for Seebirds to bring them to her, she and Noah would be able to thrive more. But then, she'd no longer be chronicling the cruelty of the Titans.

Leon DK wrote:
    I think she popped alone, spent a long time alone, and let him through the portal into her city from the Magic Kingdom. "She'd been so distorted in her first messages. When she'd finally finally let him come through, he'd found something here..."

She considered following Archie every turn for "five thousandturns" so fairly old if I remember the ages of erfworld rulers in general right.

She has to be Archie's daughter, because she's specifically a queen. Royalty are descended from the original 99. That means there are no barbarians that pop feral.

I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

• Tipped by 9 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions