Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:44 pm 
This user is a Tool!
Halinn wrote:
The Unlurked wrote:
Umbramom wrote:
And yet the brand of cigarettes he gets every turn is Sail 'em.
I think the Signamancy there is that even the cigarettes he lights up are ship-themed.

I think it's multi-layered, alluding to the Salem witch trials (which of course also involved burning)

For the five millionth time, NO WITCHES WERE BURNED AT SALEM.

They were HANGED BY THE NECK UNTIL DEAD.

Except for the one guy who died under torture.

Of course, since 9 out of 10 people seem to get it wrong, "Sail 'em" could, nonetheless, be an allusion to the Salem witch trials. Fumo is being falsely accused, after all. And tortured.

But I'm a historian; I can't just let the error go. I even figured out how the style coding works, just for this post. Sorry!

• Tipped by 5 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:05 pm 
    Challenger is also a reference to the stupid Tide pod Challenge, I assume.

• Tipped by 3 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:11 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    ErfWindandFyah wrote:
    Names are foreshadowing....

In many cases, sure. But sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. The problem is, in the Erfworld universe, you don't always know which is which until much later.

Quote:
    The Challenger is the name of the US space shuttle that exploded shortly after takeoff.

Yes, and it's also clearly a reference to the "tide pod challenge". Given Fumo's line, though, I'm inclined to believe this is a double reference. Ship go boom.

Quote:
    The TPS Ultra is a little tougher to unravel. "TPS" is a meme among those who are fans of the 1999 film Office Space ...

In this case, I think it's just a cigar. HMS stands for His/Her Majesty's Ship in the British navy. In Tidepod's navy, I assume it simply stands for Tide Pod Ship. I see no Signs of a deeper reference yet.

Also, Tide Ultra is a product.

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:46 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    ErfWindandFyah wrote:
    The TPS Ultra is a little tougher to unravel. "TPS" is a meme among those who are fans of the 1999 film Office Space where it referred to a dull and routine report imposed by fickle management. Alternatively, TPS stands for Temporary Protected Status, which when granted allows foreign nationals to reside in the US due to armed conflict or disaster in their home nation. That certainly seems to apply to Fumo.

My take is that "TPS Ultra" is a reference to TSP (trisodium phosphate), commonly used as a floor cleaner or wall cleaner before painting. It would fit in with the Tide-as-soap signamancy.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:37 pm 
    This user is a Tool! IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Clubs Suit Pip For when you need it most Diamonds Suit Pip Shiny Red Star Hearts Suit Pip Spades Suit Pip Erfmover Supporter Arkenhammer Supporter
    Tempestfury wrote:
    Thank you very much for the link to the Fumo stories, otherwise I would have not understood at all that Fumo is actually a Backer's character

Are any of the other stories worth reading?

Uhm, all of them? Except perhaps Dylan and Tomas because the story has only two chapters and is in hiatus since a very long time.

The Imperfect Warlord
    Avatar by Noip. Thanks again for that!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:36 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    If I did not already know that it was fire, I would have thought Fumo's emblem had a fishing hook on it. I could understand if Tanya didn't get that it was fire.

Oh, if you want to see all the stories, click "ARCHIVES" at the top of the page, Book 0 is a prequel with 2/3 chapters done, and the backer stories have less to do with the main plot.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:54 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day This user is a Tool!
    guynietoren wrote:
    To me it seems Fumo is suited to work with TV against Carpool. He pops with smokes and has signamancy to take down ships. TV doesn't use ships so his value to Carpool isn't as high, more so just ground troop cannon fodder.

The only reason TV doesn't use ships is because Carpool destroyed them all https://archives.erfworld.com/Book%203/77 . (assuming TV's entire navy was at Aquavelva)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:15 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Celebrated Rob and Linda's 1st
    I can't help but think "sail em" is a kind of reversal of what you'd expect with his crest...

"I'm here to 'sale' some smokes, and 'smoke' some sails... and I'm all outta smokes"

I think one of the reasons why Erfworld knows no peace is because... well... it's being run/populated by children. They may have "information" from Erfworld, but they have no experience, often no patience. They're popped with no clue and little information, gleaning what they can from others or learning it from experience... in a world that measures lifespans by turns instead of by years.

Imagine that, an entire world where everyone who EXISTS starts out life knowing the bare-minimum necessary to qualify for their starting position. It's like hiring an electrical engineer and you discover that he is superstitious, believes the Sun revolves around the Earth (which he believes is flat) and can only just barely do the electrical work you want him to. But don't worry, as soon as he kills some people he'll start getting MUCH better at his job!

I really shouldn't be fretting about the "random number spawning" bleakness, Erfworld has MUCH bigger problems... it's "pop"ulated by idiots.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:56 pm 
    This user is a Tool! IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Clubs Suit Pip For when you need it most Diamonds Suit Pip Shiny Red Star Hearts Suit Pip Spades Suit Pip Erfmover Supporter Arkenhammer Supporter
    Arci wrote:
    I can't help but think "sail em" is a kind of reversal of what you'd expect with his crest...

"I'm here to 'sale' some smokes, and 'smoke' some sails... and I'm all outta smokes"

I think one of the reasons why Erfworld knows no peace is because... well... it's being run/populated by children. They may have "information" from Erfworld, but they have no experience, often no patience. They're popped with no clue and little information, gleaning what they can from others or learning it from experience... in a world that measures lifespans by turns instead of by years.

Imagine that, an entire world where everyone who EXISTS starts out life knowing the bare-minimum necessary to qualify for their starting position. It's like hiring an electrical engineer and you discover that he is superstitious, believes the Sun revolves around the Earth (which he believes is flat) and can only just barely do the electrical work you want him to. But don't worry, as soon as he kills some people he'll start getting MUCH better at his job!

I really shouldn't be fretting about the "random number spawning" bleakness, Erfworld has MUCH bigger problems... it's "pop"ulated by idiots.

Well, Erfworld has a lot of problems. People popping out of thin air fully capable of fighting (or some basic knowlegde of their discipline in case of casters) and not much else is one definitely. But I would say that the starting motivations are an even bigger problem. Most units want to fight.
    Stabbers want to stab, Pikers want to pike, Warlords want to lord over someone in a war.
    This is reinforced by religion. Sides being at war is completely natural in scripture. Then we got the unaccountability of the rulers. Only Chief Warlords and Chief Casters seem to be able to countermand rulers orders or give their ruler orders and only when they think the side is at stake.
    And even then their ruler can disband them. Rulers got a built in last word function. All of that adds up to:

Ruler: I have decided to declare war on side X!
    Everyone else: Yay!

Instead of:

Ruler: I have decided to declare war on side X!
    Everyone else: Why?

Then there is the fate/prediction catastrophies.

Ruler to Predictamancer: Will side x attack us?
    Fate/Prediction: Well, now that you have asked, Yes!

Not to mention the whole overpopulation problem combined with the not enough Shmucker problem. Waging war is apparently much more profitable for a nation in Erfworld then back on Earth. On Earth, certain people profit from war and not the winning nation as a whole.

The Imperfect Warlord

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:06 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Celebrated Rob and Linda's 1st
    Bandaid wrote:
    Not to mention the whole overpopulation problem combined with the not enough Shmucker problem. Waging war is apparently much more profitable for a nation in Erfworld then back on Earth. On Earth, certain people profit from war and not the winning nation as a whole.

This one, to the best of my knowledge, was never discussed in canon very thoroughly. I think the "overpopulation" thing mostly comes down to the following.

1 - will side X attack us?
    2 - maybe
    3 - better not risk it, make more units so we can be defended if they do attack.
    4 - crap, we've got so many units we are paying more in upkeep than we are making via the cities.
    5 - let's go to war! We'll reduce the units' upkeep (by losing a few) AND we can get a pre-emptive strike against side X which hasn't attacked us for some reason.
    rinse - and - repeat.

With that, it seems that Erfworld doesn't have an overpopulation problem... as we here would define it... so much as it has a problem where sides can't keep up their defenses for too long without losing either money or losing units.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:37 pm 
    Arci wrote:
    Bandaid wrote:

This one, to the best of my knowledge, was never discussed in canon very thoroughly. I think the "overpopulation" thing mostly comes down to the following.

1 - will side X attack us?
    2 - maybe
    3 - better not risk it, make more units so we can be defended if they do attack.
    4 - crap, we've got so many units we are paying more in upkeep than we are making via the cities.
    5 - let's go to war! We'll reduce the units' upkeep (by losing a few) AND we can get a pre-emptive strike against side X which hasn't attacked us for some reason.
    rinse - and - repeat.

With that, it seems that Erfworld doesn't have an overpopulation problem... as we here would define it... so much as it has a problem where sides can't keep up their defenses for too long without losing either money or losing units.

Yeah, that seem to be one of the central issues with trying to be at peace in Erfworld.

A given side has a given fixed maximum income depending on the number of cities they own since you cannot built new cities, only get them trough war or diplomacy. You can maximise your income from said cities by upgrading, using city managers, having only garrison troops with reduced upkeep, halve your upkeep trough food, use moneymancy.... but there is a hardcap somewhere. This maximum income of x can support a given amount of units y. At that point you need to stop producing units or get rid of them somehow or run a deficit.

So lets assume one side is passive and has maximized their power.
    Meanwhile another side is also passiv but does not maximize their unit power because their neighbor is so peaceful. They run a Shmucker surplus. Hundreds of turns later, the ruler changes.
    Now the side with the huge Shmucker surplus can pop units like crazy and run a deficit for a long time. They attack the first side and start winning trough numbers. The first side has no Schmucker reserves to build up their forces and keeps losing income with every city taken. Bummer.

The Imperfect Warlord

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:55 am 
    I assume that the fact that the ship is the property of the colony but staffed by Carpool is what works best from a financial perspective.

Carpool remains in control but the colony foots the bill for the ship.

Or it might be some funny business like Carpool in under treaty to have maximum X ships with Y sails max but this allows them to sidestep the treaty.

Granted I have no evidence for this but it would parallel RL naval treaties and it would be cool to reference them.

There might not be a treaty but it might be a general strategy from Carpool to keep it's true strength hidden.

Given what we see of the Carpool attack on Aquavelva I think that was done with Carpool's own fleet, so this should be happening after Carpool established that beachhead and after Caesar miraculously decimated their advanced farther into TV.

This might be Carpool scrambling to throw everything they have at TV to keep the initiative and to take advantage of TV's recent chaos.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:13 am 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    greycat wrote:
    In this case, I think it's just a cigar. HMS stands for His/Her Majesty's Ship in the British navy. In Tidepod's navy, I assume it simply stands for Tide Pod Ship. I see no Signs of a deeper reference yet.

I tend to agree here. American commissioned vessels and craft have USS as a prefix, standing for United States Ship.

As for the Ultra part, I could easily be wrong, but it brought to mind the movie American Ultra. A bit more digging and there was an actual Ultra program by the CIA that did some illegal things in an effort to exert mind control via torture, drugs and maybe some other things.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:46 pm 
    For what concerns the signamancy, there does not seem to be a link with John Profumo, even though the notorious Profumo affair, with a woman named Christine Keeler, offered plenty of opportunity.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:15 pm 
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins This user got funny with a rodent Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Clubs Suit Pip Hearts Suit Pip
    It occurs to me that the forum might not be the only one's to misunderstand Fumo's sail ships bit. Anyone wanna bet the Carpool crew don't get it?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:54 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter This user got funny with a rodent Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Diamonds Suit Pip Erfmover Supporter Arkenhammer Supporter Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    Hello all :D

Just because I don't believe it's been mentioned yet:

Pemmican- a play on Pelican and Pemmican, a survival food. A fitting word for a Barbarian looking to make upkeep and survive another turn.

Dancing Gulls - Gulls and Dancing Girls. Not sure of the significance at this point.

Skipper Terns/Loser Terns - Skip her turn/Lose her turn, and Tern. Fits the overall game theme of Erfworld, but whether it has deeper meaning than that I don't know. Could be foreshadowing involving a Turnamancer? But, as has been previously mentioned in this thread, sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar.

Unless, of course, it's (not) a Pipe :P

Sandpaper - Sandpiper and also the scratchy paper of the same name :P

Echobox - looking this up I got a similar definition to Echo Chamber, repeating what other have said/are saying, but also used for radar equipment, so still fitting the Nautical Signamancy of Tidepod/Carpool.

I hope Fumo survives all this, even though it seems he was simply popped to suffer and croak. I also want to see more of Noah and what his side is like.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:22 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Mined 4 Erf This user has been published! Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Ruler of Erfworld Clubs Suit Pip Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Hearts Suit Pip
    Dunno if someone already called this one out, but "Fumo" is the word in portuguese for "smoke" (not the vapors, but rather the thing that goes inside cigarettes). Like "Fumo de Rolo" is Portuguese for "roll smoke".

I hope this info adds up to you anagram-referencing-fore/overshadowing cultists.

E.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:32 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Arkenhammer Supporter
    Do you suppose that big body of water is a gulf? Do you think Par King is going to join the Gulf War?

-The Song of Maybe

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:32 pm 
    I am No One's Fool, & with Signamancy of a lie, or a "joke" don't you think there is a little misdirection here? Go willingly into the darkness, & the light shall follow. No chance for fate, we want the Truth!

Rooting for this guy so hard. We will not lose him again.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:43 pm 
    Jade wrote:
    I hope Fumo survives all this, even though it seems he was simply popped to suffer and croak.

Yes but I have to make the argument that every unit was popped to suffer and croak... the units we know which have large fate numbers simply have large amounts of suffering first. Fumo will survive all this, but he won't survive everything and he will certainly suffer along the way.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions