Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post subject: Book 4 - Page 195
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:10 pm 
This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a member of Team Erfworld IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Mined 4 Erf
New One is up.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post subject: Re: Book 4 - Page 195
     Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:12 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Did... Did Parson just appall Sizemore into a new mentality?

• Tipped by 10 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:16 pm 
    This user is a Tool! IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Clubs Suit Pip For when you need it most Diamonds Suit Pip Shiny Red Star Hearts Suit Pip
    Feelings are a really strong motivator. And Janis is the person Sizemore cares about and respects the most, therefore he feels strongly about her opinion.

Nice pep talk from Jed. Hey first dad, you created me. You are not allowed to say that you suck at magic. What would that say about me?

Also, nice art. The amount of disdain Bonnie feels for Sizemore and his abilities is perfectly portrayed in her facial expression.

The Imperfect Warlord

• Tipped by 5 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:24 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    I mean, it's nothing personal. I suspect all casters start that way, and it just takes a certain type of mind to think outside the box they popped in. Some take to it more readily than others. For instance, Wanda was casting outside her discipline within a week or two of popping.

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:25 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf
    Well, he "accidentally" found the right button to press. I wonder if this'll make our crap-mancer more relevant now! :3

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:26 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Celebrated Rob and Linda's 1st
    Interesting, I was hoping we'd go somewhere, and that Sizemore would simply "be successful" but a moment where Parson motivates Sizemore without making himself "the bad guy" is still cool.

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:35 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf
    The irony being that the creator of the Wonky Wrench wasn't just A engineer, he was THE Engineer.

I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

• Tipped by 10 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:36 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Poor Sizemore isn't the best at lateral thinking. But he is always feeling, and that's a start!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:41 pm 
    This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user posted the comment of the month
    kagato23 wrote:
    Did... Did Parson just appall Sizemore into a new mentality?

That, or "I can not disappoint Janice!" and he wants to not let her down.

It's odd that she never said that to him specifically, given one of the things he seemed to most like to spend his Rands on was getting tutored by her (among others?) in other Disciplines. I guess she was just too politic to say something that might discourage him... well, I'm suddenly getting Katara vs. Toph flashback vibes in how it's best to train Sizemore. :lol:

Here's my Erfics: Hungry Jungle. -- Completed!

The Overlord's New Clothes -- Two parter, Completed

Unjust Deserts -- Completed!

• Tipped by 3 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:43 pm 
    This user is a Tool! IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Clubs Suit Pip For when you need it most Diamonds Suit Pip Shiny Red Star Hearts Suit Pip
    DyolfKnip wrote:
    I mean, it's nothing personal. I suspect all casters start that way, and it just takes a certain type of mind to think outside the box they popped in. Some take to it more readily than others. For instance, Wanda was casting outside her discipline within a week or two of popping.

I think Erfworld mimics Earth in that regard as well. Some people are more talented in certain fields thanks to built in reasons they cannot change. That does not mean they cannot improve in those fields if they train but they will almost always be worse then people who are gifted in a field and *also* train hard in it. They can beat gifted people who do not train quite easily.

However, inherent talent is not the only factor. Negative reinforcement can have a huge impact. Sizemore had problems learning the first other discipline thanks to his frame of mind. This led to the expectation that he will also fail at other disciplines he had not tried yet. He tried some more and failed some more. Now failing and not making progress is the default expectation for anything besides Dirtamancy. Which does make success less likely, which causes more failures, which lower expectations further and so on and so forth.

Sizemore needs on sucess at casting another discipline to break out of that mindset. Perhaps carnying the portal will be that success.

The Imperfect Warlord

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:53 pm 
    Lipkin wrote:
    The irony being that the creator of the Wonky Wrench wasn't just A engineer, he was THE Engineer.
    He was linked, but beyond that, the character he's based on is sort of a tricky overly-clever sort - sort of the antithesis of Sizemore in some respects. It makes sense to me that Carnymancy would be something he can at least grasp the basic outlines of.

Bandaid wrote:
    Also, nice art. The amount of disdain Bonnie feels for Sizemore and his abilities is perfectly portrayed in her facial expression.
    He also thwarted her plan to hire a Carnymancer, which was not only (from her perspective) a terrible idea, it also implicitly cast doubt on both her abilities and her loyalty. So it's not surprising that he's not her favorite person right now, especially since the task he's failing at comes directly from him overruling her earlier (it wouldn't be necessary to use the wrench if they'd hired a carnymancer.)

• Tipped by 5 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:55 pm 
    Sizemores thoughts about casting outside of his discipline make me think - Jack doesn’t cast too much outside of Foolamancy, does he? He might have done Lookamancy but I don’t recall him ever casting Thinkamancy or anything else. For someone as curious as Jack is, that seems like an interesting thing to explore about him. Was that ever mentioned in the comic?

• Tipped by 5 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:01 am 
    Aquillion wrote:

He also thwarted her plan to hire a Carnymancer, which was not only (from her perspective) a terrible idea, it also implicitly cast doubt on both her abilities and her loyalty. So it's not surprising that he's not her favorite person right now, especially since the task he's failing at comes directly from him overruling her earlier (it wouldn't be necessary to use the wrench if they'd hired a carnymancer.)

Valid points, except perhaps for the part in brackets. The wrench was created by imbuing carnymancy and dirtamancy in one item trough a linkup with the Arkendish. It would stand to reason that carnying the portal would take a linkup containing a carnymancer and dirtamancer. And the Thinkamancer needed for linkups are currently in low supply.

The Imperfect Warlord

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:12 am 
    This user is a Tool! Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    The best way to get someone to succeed to is to tell them that their mentor DOESN'T believe in them or at least recognizes that they have a limit that they haven't yet overcome. The sheer disappointment, rage, desire to prove them wrong, and regain their admiration (which they may never have lost in the first place) is a great combination of some of most powerful motivators out there.

If Parson was more manipulative, I would say that he did that intentionally by bringing that up. I think he's more bout him being somewhat socially awkward, but maybe that's just me projecting.

Screw you guys, I'm a Polar bear now. Art by my very good friend, Arieann Pentagon.

Old Cyborg pony pic:
    Full Image.

• Tipped by 4 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:19 am 
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user got funny with a rodent This user is a Tool! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Back in college I feel like I used/wasted all my juice trying the do calculus homework and ended up accomplishing very little of it.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:24 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    I'm reading Bonnie's look as interest in what Parson is saying, not Sizemore. After all, his plan to fake Sizemore was well executed, and Bonnie's going to notice that.

I do think the part about Janis is a bluff, though. He's making up that part of the conversation, right?

Last edited by twhitt on Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:26 am 
    This user is a Tool! Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Lord_Backstory wrote:
    Sizemores thoughts about casting outside of his discipline make me think - Jack doesn’t cast too much outside of Foolamancy, does he? He might have done Lookamancy but I don’t recall him ever casting Thinkamancy or anything else. For someone as curious as Jack is, that seems like an interesting thing to explore about him. Was that ever mentioned in the comic?

I... See I thought about this and I figured he was just a master Foolamancer and had no talent outside his discipline. I assumed that's why he's not a Great Mind (assuming that you just have to have master Thinkamancy to be a Mind and that being a Natural born Thinkamancer isn't a requirement). But thinking about it. Jack hides a lot of talents and secrets. It is entirely possible that he mastered or is adept in the other two disciplines but hides it from anyone who could leak it to the enemy. Even Parson isn't aware of all his talents until it is relevant. Jack sees it as his duty to only reveal his secrets and abilities as they are called for practical use. It's an extreme form of operational security in a way so that Parson can't call on Jack to do something that compromises those secrets to a potential enemy. Like TV. TV is the biggest disconnect for him and Parson. Jack wants to use and fool TV into doing what they want and then maybe get ready for a preemptive backstab. Parson wants to open and transparent to them which is Jack's antithesis. Jack may not want to tell Parson about all his powers because then Parson will KNOW them and he may use them as bargaining chips for deals and Jack can't have that. He needs his aces in his sleeve and not sold for trinkets. He needs to bankrupt his opponent with those cards, not spend them early.

Screw you guys, I'm a Polar bear now. Art by my very good friend, Arieann Pentagon.

Old Cyborg pony pic:
    Full Image.

• Tipped by 8 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:30 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins For when you need it most Diamonds Suit Pip
    Thecommander236 wrote:
    Lord_Backstory wrote:

I... See I thought about this and I figured he was just a master Foolamancer and had no talent outside his discipline. I assumed that's why he's not a Great Mind (assuming that you just have to have master Thinkamancy to be a Mind and that being a Natural born Thinkamancer isn't a requirement). But thinking about it. Jack hides a lot of talents and secrets. It is entirely possible that he mastered or is adept in the other two disciplines but hides it from anyone who could leak it to the enemy. Even Parson isn't aware of all his talents until it is relevant. Jack sees it as his duty to only reveal his secrets and abilities as they are called for practical use. It's an extreme form of operational security in a way so that Parson can't call on Jack to do something that compromises those secrets to a potential enemy. Like TV. TV is the biggest disconnect for him and Parson. Jack wants to use and fool TV into doing what they want and then maybe get ready for a preemptive backstab. Parson wants to open and transparent to them which is Jack's antithesis. Jack may not want to tell Parson about all his powers because then Parson will KNOW them and he may use them as bargaining chips for deals and Jack can't have that. He needs his aces in his sleeve and not sold for trinkets. He needs to bankrupt his opponent with those cards, not spend them early.

On the one hand, even being adept at Thinkamancy should have allowed him to protect himself from the backlash of the link being broken in Book One.

On the other hand, that same backlash croaked Misty, so... Maybe?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:39 am 
    Has collected at least one unit
    I think this is the first time Parson has gotten through to Sizemore in many books. It's nice to see, and the engineer metaphor is very accurate. Now we'll see if Sizemore CAN pretend he's allowed to cheat.

• Tipped by 7 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:26 am 
    Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool!
    A while ago, there was a page where Sizemore thought to himself how he almost felt he was ready to become a Master class dirtmancer, but he was missing...something.

I wonder if this is the final steps toward him becoming a Master.

• Tipped by 7 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions