Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post subject: Re: Book 4 - Page 187
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:11 am 
Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
Brother Mirtillo wrote:
Daevin wrote:
"If this is the case, it must be shouted/yelled to the company leader - before firing starts, if possible - so that he [covered] command (the verb, not the noun) [covered]"

"[covered] receives the command "Crossfire!" must follow it immediately. This is one of the few commands necessary for "Feuerleitung" (leading of fire? directing of fire? it's some old military term I don't know) that must be followed immediately.
The procedure will be done as in pictures 27 and 28, and always in a way so that the "Farben" (this means 'colors'... Unless I missread the first letter, but I can't make sense of it) of a "Zug" (a military unit, literally means 'train') remain next to each other and [covered] not cross again [covered]."

Vielen dank! I was using wiktionary and slipped onto the Hungarian translation of "zug" instead of the German one. Oops.

I assumed the one word was Garben (= sheafs?) instead of Farben, but those old-timey letters are tricky. Doesn't make much sense either way, but the rest of your translation is a big help, so thanks again!

...Now, let's see just how much of it Ivan really remembers.

"Garben" might be possible? AFAIK it's a really, REALLY old-timey word for "clothing" you'd only hear in a renaissance fair or something. But yeah, it doesn't make much sense either way. At first I read it as "Garden" (plural of "Garde", which is a military term for a kind of soldier), but then I saw it's a 'b', not a 'd'... so, yeah, no idea.
Might as well be "Farben" or "Garben" and the German military used that as a Term for something back then.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:16 am 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Not sure how it relates here. But Enfilade means direct fire. Like shooting a bullet at someone. Defilade means indirect fire. Like lobbing an artillery shell over the hill to kill everyone on the other side. Not sure how the rooms are defilade firing positions.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:24 am 
    Has collected at least one unit
    Ivan is a plumber though. The only plumbing job I can remember is when a barbarian Dirtamancer fixed a water pipe, and also Ivan had a pipe wrench.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:34 am 
    I am German, so if you have any specific questions on the manual please let me know. The manual is from WW1 on how to optimize machine gun usage.
    Regarding "Garben": I just flew over the comments here and there were doubts what Garben means. Garben means a burst of bullets.

• Tipped by 5 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:41 am 
    Complementing the anterior:
    Basically this is about how to maximise coverage with machine guns. In this context, probably how team GK can max out the assult rifle cover vs the MK team from cover, although being outnumbered (?).
    Kreuzfeuer is crossfire.
    Ausführung is Execution in a military term
    Feuerleitung is a military term for officials having to direct the fire to where it should be directed to.

• Tipped by 4 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:45 am 
    And last complement for today:
    Zug in military terms is a squad.

• Tipped by 3 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:02 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day This user is a Tool!
    Brother Mirtillo wrote:
    ///

So if a blog is a web log, and Parson's klog is a book log, then Ivan's clog could be... Eh, it's late -- the best I can guess right now is "spec log" -- which could mean his spectacles, his specifications, or both.

Charlie log.
    Quote:
    ...of course, a clog could have a more obvious meaning like blockage or a shoe, but Ivan's no plumber, and Claud is in no mood for shoes.

Clogs... Shoes? I feel tempted to make a Game Overthinker reference to his parody of Future Trunks.

Last edited by Anomynous 167 on Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:17 am 
    Why are the Dirtamancers trying to break through with bullet attacks? Even a small earthen wall negates machinegun attacks, and they should be able to Dirtamance their way through barriers.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:34 am 
    This user got funny with a rodent Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Shard wrote:
    Why are the Dirtamancers trying to break through with bullet attacks? Even a small earthen wall negates machinegun attacks, and they should be able to Dirtamance their way through barriers.

They used up all their juice on those scrolls, 'member?

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:59 am 
    This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Oh my god HE DUG UP OLD WW1 GERMAN FIRING MANUALS! Wow this is some deep research :D

Droooooool...... :mrgreen:

(Could alse be ww2 but the font has me wondering)

Glad every time this comic updates, hope all of you are still sticking around

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:12 am 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Shai hulud wrote:
    I suspect this is also why Claud's action figure had a Stormtrooper helmet. He has probably actually seen pictures of real German Stahlhelms.

Gonna have to disagree with you there. The action figure's helmet as shown in Panel 1 of page 202 ( https://archives.erfworld.com/Book%203/202 ) is a Claud-themed duplicate of the green Army man action figure Ace created on page 1, panel 5 ( https://archives.erfworld.com/Book+3/1).

Well, it is if one allows for differences in the art styles of Xin and David Hahn. What it isn't is the coal scuttle shape of the Stahlhelms (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stahlhelm ... helmet.jpg) that I grew up seeing on Combat! (and Hogan's Heroes).

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:40 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    As much as guns don't seem like her, they should probably give the rifle to Wanda: Her flunkies should still have juice for offensive spell casting.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:35 am 
    This is a TFI of that page from its source, starting at the start of section at the previous page.
    Umlaut -> extra e, and Eszett -> ss.

Das Maschinengewehr 08 wrote:
    Das Schiessen mit Maschingengewehren.
    6. Kreuzfeuer

Bei allen schiessen, ob mit oder ohne Tiefenfeuer, wird es vorkommen, dass ein einzelnes M.G. oder auch ein ganzer Zug seinen Zielabschnitt nicht sieht und diesen nicht beschiessen kann.
    [page]
    Code:
      /   /    |   |    \   \
     +    +    +   +    +    +
     3. Zug    2. Zug   1. Zug
    Bild 27.
    1. und 3. Zug Kreuzfeuer.

/    \    /   /    \   \
     +    +    +   +    +    +
     6.   5.   4.  3.   2.  1.M.G.
     3. Zug    2. Zug   1. Zug
    Bild 28.
    1. und 2. Zug Kreuzfeuer und 5. und 6. Gewehr Kreuzfeuer.

Ist dies der Fall, so muss es dem Kompagniefuehrer moeglichst noch vor Begin des Schiessens zugerufen werden, damit er noch rechtzeitig befiehlt, welcher Zug mit dem betreffenden Zug sein Ziel tauschen soll. Wird es dem Kompagniefuehrer zu spaet bekannt, so ist ein Zielwechsel aeuserst stoerend und nicht so gut auszufuehren wie vor Beginn des Schiessens. Der Gewehr- oder Zugfuehrer, der den Befehl "Kreuzfeuer!" erhaelt, muss ihn sofort ausfuehren. Es ist dies einer von den wenigen zur Feuerleitung notigen Befehlne, der sofort ausgefuehrt werden muss. Die Ausfuehrung geschiesst nach Bild 27 und 28, und zwar immer derart, dass die Garben eines Zuges nebeneinander bleiben und nicht in sich nochmals ueber Kreuz gehen.

Dies Kreuzfeuer kann auch zum Wirkunsschiessen angewendet werden, um auf bestimmte Ziele mehr Wirkung zu erreichen. So macht es sich bereits auf Kolonnen guenstig bemerkbar, wenn man die einzelnen Kolonnen etwas von der Seite fasst. Auch gegen Artillerieziele ist dies Kreuzfeuer vorteilhaft, um etwas hinter die Schilde zu fassen.

7. Das schiessen gegen liegende Kolonnen.
    Liegende Kolonnen koennen sehr wirksam unter Feuer gehalten werden, weil sich die M.G. einschiessen koennen, und weil die Kolonnen so lange [page] beschossen werden koennen, bis sie aufspringen und an einem anderen Fleck(?) Deckung suchen. [...]

Abridged:
    When schooting, it may happen that a machine gun or a squad can't see their targets. If so, say so, so the commander can swap target assignments. If at all possible before the shooting starts. Otherwise retargetting gets really annoying and execution suffers a hit. The command "crossfire!" must be executed immedately. Execution follows pictures 27 and 28, but neat and straight. Don't cross the crossfire again.

Crossfire can also be used for more effect at specific targets, such as columns and artillery.

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:42 am 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day For when you need it most Clubs Suit Pip Hearts Suit Pip
    So ... this explains why all those tunnels in CC Tower. Not only do they channel intruders, but they are pre-existing enfilade points.
    Otherwise it's just a huge waste of space. Well, okay, it gives Chuckles an excuse to make his tower bigger. Because he's a guy.

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:43 am 
    KeiranHalcyon31 wrote:
    Shard wrote:

They used up all their juice on those scrolls, 'member?

Only half their juice (unclear if it's half their total juice or half their remaining juice), although they also spent quite a bit of juice in the dirtamansion fight, and scroll-making is inheritently more inefficient than ordinariliy casting a spell.

Of course, Ivan might have constructed them in such a way that deconstucting them is costly and/or the Dirtamancers wanted to save juice.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:48 am 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    The first two times I read the page, I completely skipped the first, thin panel on top. That had me quite confused about what was happening in the last panel! I understand the need to make it a "wide" panel, to show everything going on from one sideview, but couldn't the text boxes and letters be a bit bigger perhaps?

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:49 am 
    Daevin wrote:
    "Garben" might be possible? AFAIK it's a really, REALLY old-timey word for "clothing" you'd only hear in a renaissance fair or something. But yeah, it doesn't make much sense either way. At first I read it as "Garden" (plural of "Garde", which is a military term for a kind of soldier), but then I saw it's a 'b', not a 'd'... so, yeah, no idea.
    Might as well be "Farben" or "Garben" and the German military used that as a Term for something back then.

The way I see it "Garben" means bundle in this case. Each squad has two machine guns so a bundle is the bundle of trajectories coming from one of the two machine guns. So the text says that crossfire means cross over with the fire from the other squads but not the fire from the individual guns in your own squad.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:53 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user is a Tool! This user posted the comment of the month Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner This user got funny with a rodent Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    ...Charlie wrote the book on combat. Literally.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:24 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf
    O4rfish wrote:
    Ivan is a plumber though. The only plumbing job I can remember is when a barbarian Dirtamancer fixed a water pipe, and also Ivan had a pipe wrench.

Actually, he's an Engineer.

I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:25 am 
    Mighty confused about the meaning of this update.

All I can think, is that Charlie's origins might be Earth-based, or at least that he acquired his weapon schematics from a German WWI soldier. With a manual on weaponry, obviously.

Or perhaps it was something more simple. Perhaps this "tome" was summoned as the result of some attempt to learn about the "ultimate" weapon.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions