Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 319
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:51 am 
Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
No one in particular wrote:
..?

Jack went wandering around TV unnoticed, without Juice. It was page 293, Tiptoe past Dewy Tulips.

The trick of it was that it was a passive sneakiness. "He lacked the juice to veil himself, so the ruler of TV could, by concentrating, locate him at any time to within a floor or a room." As long as Caesar didn't ask where he was, he didn't know where Jack was.

Big Think's got juice for a veil AND a distracted Ruler who's not going to stop and wonder "where are the invaders in my city?", so that's bonus on top of bonus. Doubleplus good!

On the other hand, Jack was not an invader in TV the city, nor did he enter it (at that time). It could be that a Ruler gets an automatic ping when a non-Allied unit enters a city hex owned by his side, a ping when an engagement is initiated etc - actions the Ruler won't notice by himself.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:55 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Nimelennar wrote:
    greycat wrote:
    Nimelennar wrote:
    The part I'm less sure of is if even a direct command from a Ruler overrides the mechanic that unled infantry always auto-attack if they meet a unit/stack from a non-allied side.

It does. The unled troops in the city formerly known as Gobwin Knob had standing orders not to attack Jillian, and they did not attack her.

Yes, but the text states: "Only a standing order would have caused the troops to behave that way." (Emphasis mine)

I'm not a military wonk, but I thought "standing orders" were generally formalized, compiled into manuals, and drilled into troops at length.

I'm not sure if the Erfworld definition is the same, but a "standing order" isn't generally one that you issue on-the-fly in the middle of combat.

It could be they just mean an order issued to all troops, rather than how I understand the term, but the text doesn't make it clear.

Yeah. In this context I would say a standing order is just anything given with no maximum duration. Those orders would then last until cancelled or new orders come.

"Aggressively guard this hex."
    "Do not attack units from our informal ally."
    "Remain here."

So in this case, "Do not attack Jillian, even at the cost of your life" could be a standing order for the whole side, or could have been given by Georgia at any point to all units in her hex, and units would obey them until they're explicitly remanded.

In Erfworld, there'd be no reason to drill such a thing. Units would always know their standing orders, and obey them perfectly to the extent their loyalty and duty permit.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:00 am 
    Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf
    Nimelennar wrote:
    greycat wrote:
    Nimelennar wrote:
    The part I'm less sure of is if even a direct command from a Ruler overrides the mechanic that unled infantry always auto-attack if they meet a unit/stack from a non-allied side.

It does. The unled troops in the city formerly known as Gobwin Knob had standing orders not to attack Jillian, and they did not attack her.

Yes, but the text states: "Only a standing order would have caused the troops to behave that way." (Emphasis mine)

I'm not a military wonk, but I thought "standing orders" were generally formalized, compiled into manuals, and drilled into troops at length.

I'm not sure if the Erfworld definition is the same, but a "standing order" isn't generally one that you issue on-the-fly in the middle of combat.

It could be they just mean an order issued to all troops, rather than how I understand the term, but the text doesn't make it clear.

We never saw the order to GK troops given, but it might not have involved Maggie or hat messages delivering orders to commanders. The simple way would be for Stanley to issue orders for all units to not attack Jillian.

Probably came up soon after the contract was made. Georgia could have issued such an order herself as well.

We didn't see Charlie issue orders in TV, but given that he made the contract, it makes sense that he'd issue a no attack order when he turned them.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:43 am 
    This user has been published! Shiny Red Star This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter This user got funny with a rodent Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Just as an example of Erfworld using the "obey until countermanded" definition of standing order:
    Page 200 wrote:
    Anyway at some point, somebody had given this uncroaked warlord a standing order. It was supposed to explode a crap golem if it ever found itself... outnumbered. Yank. Boom.

Ask Count Downer is over and archived now.

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:55 pm 
    This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf This user got funny with a rodent This user is a Tool! Shiny Red Star Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins For when you need it most Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    The really important question is: what the flip was Don's deal with tea? He's a vampire and a mob boss by signamancy. His side is full of vampires and 50s greaser signamancy. So where the boop do tea ceremonies come into that?

Fear the would-be hero. For against the pangs of conscience, there is no more effective anesthesia than a righteous cause. And no one sees themselves as the villain, especially the villain.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:09 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    JadedDragoon wrote:
    The really important question is: what the flip was Don's deal with tea? He's a vampire and a mob boss by signamancy. His side is full of vampires and 50s greaser signamancy. So where the boop do tea ceremonies come into that?

While the side was run as a meritocracy, Don IS noble. Seems to be a common trait of noble or royal sides

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:09 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    JadedDragoon wrote:

I see Don's fundamental struggle as how he was torn between two worlds -- the Royalist world of Scripture and Tea, and the Meritocratic world. In the end, he chose Royalism. It didn't turn out well for him.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:54 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    JadedDragoon wrote:

I keep reading and rereading the last two pages of the epilogue of Book 1, trying to translate it into an easy answer, and the best I can come up with is:

While Don didn't like the idea of people getting respect they hadn't earned, he was, in all other ways, a subscriber to the Royal ideals. As listed by King Slately, among those are "Honor, sacrifice, dignity, decorum, station...loyalty, bravery..."

He might not care so much for "station" as a Royal should. However, nothing he's said or done indicate that he is in any other way opposed to the ideals listed.

Along with station, the tea ceremony as described is representative of both dignity and decorum, and the fact that Stanley doesn't live up to those two ideals in particular (or even try to) is part of the reason Transylvito joined the RCC in the first place. Tea is emblematic of Don King not being Stanley: that's why it's so important to him.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:07 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf This user is a Tool! Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Nakedkali wrote:
    If Countess Cheri Maraschino's purse-flail is magically enhanced by Chief Caster Benjamin Franchise and she uses it as a ranged weapon, is she throwing money at the problem?

Only if the casting incantation is "Sugar Daddy"

:lol:

Anomynous 167 wrote:
    Last time he made a calculation using the Bracer, it started glowing brighter than usual. It is still displaying the numbers which recommended Parson link up with Roger and Vanna http://archives.erfworld.com/Book+3/285. 0.9913 .

My interpretation of the"brighter glow" was that it was Roger's Foolamancy overlay of the actual readout. You're probably right that the bracer is still displaying numbers, but my thought is that they're not the Roger-Vanna-link calculation. They're battle calcs Parson was doing as he was running down the stairs (offscreen to the readers).

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions