Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post subject: Book 3 - Page 316
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:52 am 
This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a member of Team Erfworld IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Mined 4 Erf
New One is up.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 316
     Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:58 am 
    This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf This user got funny with a rodent This user is a Tool! Shiny Red Star Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins For when you need it most Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    She's more receptive to his arguments than I expected. I think Shirley knowing about his cheats is gonna slow Charlie's roll a bit... but I think it's gonna far from stop him from being a cheating McCheaterson who cheats.

FIRST! (I've always wanted to say that...)

Fear the would-be hero. For against the pangs of conscience, there is no more effective anesthesia than a righteous cause. And no one sees themselves as the villain, especially the villain.

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:01 am 
    This user has been published! Shiny Red Star This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter This user got funny with a rodent Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    What's this? A new misfortune for Charlie? *starts cackling gleefully again*

Ask Count Downer is over and archived now.

• Tipped by 3 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:04 am 
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins This user got funny with a rodent Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Wait where is everyone, what's happened. Did you kill the site or something when shirley pulled the plug.

Edit: and people are back. Okay.

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out TBH. Also interesting that Shirley doesn't have a built in "this is wrong" sense about using the juice. Not sure what to make about this update tbh. Short and sweet but this feels like setup for yet more talk. Also seems the only thing Shirley is really worried about with charlie and his actions is the power thing. Which at least takes a passing shot at some fan theories. OTOH she only seems worried about the power because Jed is. Raises some questions about intertower stuff e.t.c.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:06 am 
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins This user got funny with a rodent Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    JadedDragoon wrote:
    She's more receptive to his arguments than I expected. I think Shirley knowing about his cheats is gonna slow Charlie's roll a bit... but I think it's gonna far from stop him from being a cheating McCheaterson who cheats.

Thats pretty much my impression. She only seems to have a problem with Charlie doing anything because another tower has a problem, not because it worries her in any way directly. I'm really not sure what to make of that and what it says about Shirley vs jed vs how they perceive each other.

Not without breaking out the shipping goggles anyway :lol:.

p.s Jed is a sarcastic little thing isn't he :P.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:09 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter This user has been published! Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day This user is a Tool!
    Well, :) keep going artists, keep giving us those beautiful art splashes ^_^

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:09 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    It kind of sounds like them tapping all that juice is dangerous. Kind of like Fate/Numbers dangerous.

• Tipped by 5 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:14 am 
    This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf This user got funny with a rodent This user is a Tool! Shiny Red Star Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins For when you need it most Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Carl wrote:
    JadedDragoon wrote:

Thats pretty much my impression. She only seems to have a problem with Charlie doing anything because another tower has a problem, not because it worries her in any way directly. I'm really not sure what to make of that and what it says about Shirley vs jed vs how they perceive each other.

Not without breaking out the shipping goggles anyway :lol:.

p.s Jed is a sarcastic little thing isn't he :P.

Aye, that he is.

And Shirley seems determined to ship herself, honestly. Lol. Ugh, she's such a stereotype for women... but then she's essentially a ~60s sitcom character so it's really not a surprise. Like... seriously woman, can't you meet a tower with a male persona and not immediately turn into a flighty, swooning sack of giggles over the idea of hooking up with him? Besides... how would that even work?

!!! Wait. Nope. Forget I asked.

Fear the would-be hero. For against the pangs of conscience, there is no more effective anesthesia than a righteous cause. And no one sees themselves as the villain, especially the villain.

Last edited by JadedDragoon on Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:14 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    That is just precious. I'm starting to love Shirley almost as much as she annoys me.

Tattling always works better when you fess up to being part of it. Gives a certain credibility that overbearing moms just love to latch onto.

"Sorry, Charlie. You're grounded until we figure out whether or not to ground you."

• Tipped by 5 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:18 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day This user is a Tool!
    "No wai"

Looks like the lights are out in Charlescom. Someone's jacked the candles.

Is that what people mean by that candle-jack meme.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:19 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Somna wrote:
    It kind of sounds like them tapping all that juice is dangerous. Kind of like Fate/Numbers dangerous.

Indeed. He's been borrowing and wasn't expecting to pay! But who comes to claim his debt?

---
    This is the debt I pay
    Just for one riotous day,
    Years of regret and grief,
    Pain without relief.

Pay it I will to the end —
    Until the grave, my friend,
    Gives me a true release —
    Gives me the clasp of peace.

Significant was the thing I bought,
    Small was the debt I thought,
    Poor was the loan at best —
    God! But the interest!
    ---

Shockmancer currently multi-classing into Rhyme-o-mancy

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:23 am 
    IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    "Have you considered not being a Carnymancer?"
    Have you considered not being a nosy bitch, Shirley?

This update was pretty strongly hinted in the last update about these characters. Sometimes I think that, and am pleasantly surprised by what happens instead. This time, I hoped to be surprised, and was disappointed.

This is super cheap. Charlie's been set up as this smart, resourceful, formidable opponent, and instead of anyone having a cunning plan to beat him, we just have... this. It's not even making him play fair, it's just interpreting the rules however seems to benefit him least. I mean come on, looting stuff from the enemy isn't fair? Really? The contract be damned, it's just been a football and neither side is trying to keep the spirit of a non-aggression pact. And Charlie doing the kind of magic he was literally popped to do, that's not playing the game right? Then why have Carnies at all?

I don't know. Maybe this plot twist will get redeemed; wouldn't be the first time. Personally I'm hoping Charlie thinks "oh right, I am a Carnymancer, let's get back to basics," puts his hand on the Temple (not hard since he's inside it) and carnies the boop out of its misbegotten mind.

• Tipped by 6 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:28 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf
    That's super interesting, Jed can pay back the used juice with income somehow - this feels like a massive clue about the metaphysics in Erfworld. If Jed can pay the Source with income, where does income come from? Clearly it's important (at least to the Temples) that the Source is always paid back, but we can only speculate as to why that is.

Shirley mentions "the environment" when she asks if Charlie got permission to tap into the portal juice. What kind of collateral damage does unpaid juice extraction cause?

Addendum: I liked the "adult noises" that Charlie makes when imitating Jed.

• Tipped by 3 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:37 am 
    Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Twitter: overdroid
    YouTube: cartoonoverlord
    "That's the night that the lights went out in Charlescomm..."

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:39 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    I'd just like to say, if this is the quality (and timing!) of text update that we can expect under the updated circumstances, then I have absolutely no problem at all with the relatively shorter updates.

• Tipped by 7 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:41 am 
    This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
    So I just had a thought. No power means no connection to the flower channel (unless Shirely allows for emergency power). So I wonder how Charlie will react to that.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:41 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Is the blonde looking down at him, like, Shirley's avatar or something?

-The Song of Maybe

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:55 am 
    This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    JadedDragoon wrote:
    And Shirley seems determined to ship herself, honestly. Lol. Ugh, she's such a stereotype for women... but then she's essentially a ~60s sitcom character so it's really not a surprise.

Indeed--not only is Shirley Temple stereotypically female in a mid-20th-century-American kind of way, but she has that era's brand of casual smiling racism as well. Jed has "native charm," he uses the "quaintest little signs," he's (sigh) "Mr. Tiki-tiki," etc. I'm sure that him being rugged and "native" plays into her attraction for him.

Of course, as with many Stupidworld concepts, racism feels awfully incongruous in Erfworld. It's odd for Jed to be considered "native," when he's presumably from the same place as Shirley. The signamancy of him being an islander still means something to her, though, even if that idea is divorced from its Stupidworld context. (Or maybe she's been watching Stupidworld television, since she seems to know about some Stupidworld terminology and such.)

Does Shirley realize that she looks like an ancient artifact as well, I wonder?

Anyway, the last time I remember a character feeling this racist was when Ansom went on this cringey rant. Of course, that was different, since Royalism isn't the same as racism, and some of Ansom's prejudice turned out to be backed up by actual in-game mechanics. Vinny still knew Ansom was being an idiot, though.

In other news, while Jed is probably telling the truth about wanting to pay back that juice, it seems that discussing his crimes was also a brilliant gambit--admit to stealing a loaf of bread in order to make Charlie's grand larceny seem much worse by comparison. I have to say, Jed is one seriously brilliant head, with perhaps the best grasp of human/tower nature of anybody on the side. Makes sense, I suppose, since he has a date-a-mancer for a mother.

Last edited by Bird on Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
  • Tipped by 8 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:57 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf
    I still say the Arkenhammer's Shockmancy will get converted into juice. It could probably repay GK and CC's debt without a problem.

Edit: Oh, I just got it. The Source is where Natural Magic pulls its juice from. Casters recharge on juice at the start of the turn, but things like building a city cost juice too. Upgrading a city takes juice that comes from shmuckers, but building a level one is free to the unit (since commanders with empty purses can found a side). That juice comes from the Source. It's a Natural resource.

I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

• Tipped by 5 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:06 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day For when you need it most
    Stevon Eiht Nane wrote:
    So I just had a thought. No power means no connection to the flower channel (unless Shirely allows for emergency power). So I wonder how Charlie will react to that.

Didn't she already cut him off from it? As long as he accesses the 'dish through her, she seems to be able to control what he can access through it.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions