Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 298
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:51 pm 
This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
DukeofTuring wrote:
Kinda frustrated that the established lore about the scroll just got thrown out of the window. Also kinda happy that we're not going back to to stupidworld. Not sure which outweighs the other.

Rest easy, friend. Parson not going back to Stupidworld FAR outweighs 100% of everything else.

• Tipped by 3 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:52 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Maybe, just maybe, the spell was meant to "Send him where he belongs" and at the same time "transport him off Erfworld"

And it successfully did both, it sent him where he belonged, the hex of the capital city of his side, and it sent him off erfworld, by placing him right above Erf's atmosphere.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:52 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Jed is my favorite character! He is the most awesome deus ex machina!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:55 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf
    Wow! I can't believe that was a thing that happened.

My gut instinct is that something messed with the spell. We had lots of information confirming what it did, only speculation that it would do anything except send Parson back where he came from originally. I don't think Charlie was wrong about that. In fact, last we saw he was rejoicing in his win.

How far did Parson fall? Erfworld falling rules wouldn't make a fall necessarily fatal, but would the water reduce the risks? In the real world, not really.

I can see Jed needing a dragon portal on the top of his head. Water flow control is just part of normal tower functions. But I'm suspicious about the perfect landing spot for Parson being so convenient and Jed so quick and non chalant about it. As if he knew this was going to happen.

This blows away my idea that Marie was going to call him back, with a scroll prepared for this Predictable outcome. Possibly with Wanda and little Isaac assisting, since she got him in the first place.

I'm not sure there was no time skip, as it may be some time since the last update. Maggie and Jack said nothing about the chief warlord bonus, and they would have noticed ed the change if Parson was gone.

But I'm also sure it is still the same turn. It gets hard to keep track of when it is for everyone else, in a turn based world, but it should still be TVs turn on the same day.

Parson is keeping his cool, grabbing a drink after whatever just happened.

Now, we just need to see him get Bonnie, Stanley, Ace, and Sizemore up to speed on what happened and get to work on a new rescue plan. I'd think that having Jed call Maggie would be a good idea.

Except then Charlie would know, because of Bat channels. But I think Charlie would find a Parson channel pretty quick too, or Shirley would. Unless Shirley is still upset and not being helpful.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    I think it is safe to assume that "hex center" is where the Portals to the magic kingdom are located in each capital site. Where was Parson when the spell activated? Portal room of a city on top of a mountain. Where is he now? Center of a Capital hex far above the ground. Why? Because the spell relocated from the hex he was in to the hex he 'belonged' in. It didn't do anything else for his position, didn't move him up or down, side to side, forward or back. Just instant teleport to the hex he 'belonged' in.

Personally I'm still going for an unseen/skipped StupidworldKansas adventure, with Parson getting back into his Erfworld gear in order to help remind him of where his true home is/was when he activated the 'Shoes, but who knows... maybe Jed did in fact interrupt the spell, or maybe the spell itself didn't work properly, or maybe Fate pulled a sly one on Charlie as punishment for trying this stunt.

Find out next time, on Erfworld!*

*Disclaimer: next time means several weeks from now when we finish three other story threads...

• Tipped by 4 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf
    easter wrote:
    I mean... I really hope Jed did something to intentionally cause this outcome instead of it being "home is where the heart is so the bad guy plan doesn't work" because like... I would really like Parson/GK, at SOME point in this book, to pull off a win because of something Parson/GK do instead of the universe fucking around. As it stands, Fate is currently the only acting protagonist of book 4.

I like the idea that Parson used the scroll to cut his ties to Stupidworld (instead of Erfworld), because it means that Parson made a split second decision that saved his bacon. It would be a return to form for him.

I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

• Tipped by 5 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:56 pm 
    SomeGuy411 wrote:
    I can't imagine Parson is at full hits though. I'm certain he got a good roll to avoid incapacitation but a water landing from that high up would HURT. Fatally so. Gotta love those fudged dice.

I think it’s an Erfworld physics thing, as something similar happened with DigDoug and others a while back. Falling from any distance, as long as you fall in water, you get incapacitated at most. Also, every unit starts with the flying special, but only a few keep it the first time they look down.

SomeGuy411 wrote:
    KeiranHalcyon31c wrote:
    greycat wrote:
    So, Jed's head has a giant hole in the top? Who knew.

/me looks at the art again

Ah, it's a dilating door. How surprisingly futuristic.

It's an aperture.

Bonnie: I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.

I'm not sure which is a more terrifying and intriguing thought-parson with Glados and aperture science tech, or Charlie that.

Perhaps either Ace, Sizemore, or Maggie are Falcons and/or Megatron fans. Incedentally, it’s a good thing that Stanley wasn’t chilling in the significantly smaller hot tub at the time.

Last edited by Heffenfeffer on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:59 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Actually I looked harder, in the one panel where Parson is swimming you can see he' wearing black/gray shoes, not red ones. So this is likely just a relocation spell and Jack intentionally made it out like Parson had been banished in order to prevent any further shenanigans on part of Vanna, Bill, or even Charlie (if he assumed Charlie was observing somehow).

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:01 am 
    Lipkin wrote:
    easter wrote:
    I mean... I really hope Jed did something to intentionally cause this outcome instead of it being "home is where the heart is so the bad guy plan doesn't work" because like... I would really like Parson/GK, at SOME point in this book, to pull off a win because of something Parson/GK do instead of the universe fucking around. As it stands, Fate is currently the only acting protagonist of book 4.

I like the idea that Parson used the scroll to cut his ties to Stupidworld (instead of Erfworld), because it means that Parson made a split second decision that saved his bacon. It would be a return to form for him.

And if they do a Parson POV of explaining how he figured out how to do that and what wire he cut and how I'll be satisfied but like... this book has been "Charlie vs Fate (GK and Parson are also there)" pretty much from page one. I really need someone I'm supposed to be cheering for to be clever in a way that makes sense and feels legit. Because the popular idea of how Parson got back from the last pages wasn't "Parson was Clever" it was "Charlie failed to understand Parson" which would again make Charlie the active player here against Fate again with Parson as an immobile pawn again.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:03 am 
    This user is a Tool! This user posted the comment of the month This user got funny with a rodent Shiny Red Star Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Metallicat wrote:
    But I think Charlie would find a Parson channel pretty quick too, or Shirley would. Unless Shirley is still upset and not being helpful.

Except for his Eyebook, there is no Parson channel. He's not a Thinkamancer.

Thank you to Yshl's daughter for my new avatar. I love it! 3/4/2018

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:04 am 
    ShneekeyTheLost wrote:
    Well, there's several potential reasons that this happened:

1) Scroll reads his definition of 'home', and Charlie simply *assumed* that it would be back in StupidWorld. However, since he'd *FAR* rather be in ErfWorld than StupidWorld, when it asked 'home', his response was 'my capitol's side, naturally'. Which was why it had to be cast *by him*, because he sets the destination.

2) It DID send him to StupidWorld. ArkenShoes got him back. Of course, time passes differently in the two worlds, so a month's worth of adventures wasn't even a full turn here.

2a) It sent him back to StupidWorld, Arkenshoes got him back, but there's been a timeskip we haven't seen yet.

3) Jed hijacked the teleport and made himself the destination.

4) Fate itself simply didn't want Parson to go back to StupidWorld, so he got sent to the nearest approximation of 'home', the capitol for his side.

Which is it? Dunno. But pull up a seat, 'cause dis gun b gud.

I've got another one - similar to (1) but slightly restated.

5) The spell properly broke the original Summoning spell's binding of him to Erfworld. Normally that would result in his natural connection to Stupidworld to send him there, but he's developed his own personal ties to Erfworld now. So it sent him to the place where the ties linked him to - his side's capital. This differs from (1) in that Charlie's spell didn't actually send him anywhere - it just broke the Summoning linkage. Natural magic of some sort is what caused him to be teleported.

That's still a guess, of course. The fact that Parson appeared in midair is a hint as to what did actually happen, though. It's almost like his home point's x and y coordinates were fixed, but the z axis was way off...

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:04 am 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    AOL: Warcraftace
    I'm good with this, I didn't really want a Stupidworld arc anyway.

To everyone wondering why Maggie and Jack didn't notice/don't have Parson's CW bonus, it's because they don't. Unless I'm remembering something wrong, CWs only give their bonus to units in the same hex as them (as opposed to normal warlords, who only give their bonus to units they're directly stacked with). Parson is no longer in Transylvito, so they don't have his bonus anymore. Maggie could sense that Parson is still there if she had juice, but she doesn't. They have no other means of knowing he's still in Erfworld at the moment, unless Maggie gets in contact with Jed and he tells her.

*slurps drink*

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:07 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf
    Mecharic wrote:
    Actually I looked harder, in the one panel where Parson is swimming you can see he' wearing black/gray shoes, not red ones. So this is likely just a relocation spell and Jack intentionally made it out like Parson had been banished in order to prevent any further shenanigans on part of Vanna, Bill, or even Charlie (if he assumed Charlie was observing somehow).

He knows for sure they can't trust Vanna, and that Charlie can Thinkagram whoever he wants. I don't remember if he knows Charlie can hack Thinkamancy. But he can't hack Fashion Maggie, so Parson can give them secret orders through Jed without anyone else in TV knowing. And Jack's not telling Caesar that Parson isn't gone.

easter wrote:
    And if they do a Parson POV of explaining how he figured out how to do that and what wire he cut and how I'll be satisfied but like... this book has been "Charlie vs Fate (GK and Parson are also there)" pretty much from page one. I really need someone I'm supposed to be cheering for to be clever in a way that makes sense and feels legit. Because the popular idea of how Parson got back from the last pages wasn't "Parson was Clever" it was "Charlie failed to understand Parson" which would again make Charlie the active player here against Fate again with Parson as an immobile pawn again.
    It's not popular with me, that's all I can say.

I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:08 am 
    Knight13 wrote:

To everyone wondering why Maggie and Jack didn't notice/don't have Parson's CW bonus, it's because they don't. Unless I'm remembering something wrong, CWs only give their bonus to units in the same hex as them (as opposed to normal warlords, who only give their bonus to units they're directly stacked with). Parson is no longer in Transylvito, so they don't have his bonus anymore. Maggie could sense that Parson is still there if she had juice, but she doesn't. They have no other means of knowing he's still in Erfworld at the moment, unless Maggie gets in contact with Jed and he tells her.

*slurps drink*

CWL's give a large bonus to their personal stack, smaller one to their hex, and a smaller still bonus to the entire side. Recall that Ansom knew Parson was his CWL after being freed by Vinny just due to the size of the bonus.

Last edited by Lipkin on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:09 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Jaxad0127 wrote:
    Janis is a master class Date-a-mancer. That would do it.

Ozamataz Buckshank wrote:
    Janis is a master-class date-a-mancer, and leadership is natural date-a-mancy. She can probably see leadership as part of her automatic caster senses.

Possible. On the other hand, look at this:

http://archives.erfworld.com/Book%203/233

Ansom was able to perceive Vinnie had become Chief Warlord.

Not sure how that compares to being able to perceive exact Chief Warlord's bonus, but it does suggest that the perception is not limited to Date-a-mancers but might be a trait given to all commanders.

Knight13 wrote:

*slurps drink*

Sorry, but no. Sizemore automatically noticed the changes to his CW bonus while in the MK. It's not a hex-specific observation.

1. Find a forum post by that person.
    2. Click the profile button on that post (lower left corner).
    3. Click Add Foe.
    4. Click Yes.

Problem solved.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:09 am 
    Haven wrote:
    So it makes some kind of sense that Parson would be sent back to Spacerock, but why would he be sent back specifically to the airspace directly above the tower?
    No Erfly reason that I can see. Unless Parson has some pretty screwy marbles in his head, "home" should not be over a mile up in the airspace. But I think that we are seeing a combination of a failed casting (due to the link 'tragically' being cut short, thanks Jed) and Spacerock being more or less Parson's home on Erf. I think that the MK would have made more sense, but this way Parson can infiltrate under bedrock with Wanda's crew (if they find a shard that will accomodate him). I doubt Jed exactly planned this whole result...that would be contrived. If so, then they need to just put Jed in charge now because he's basically omniscient.
    Kyrt wrote:
    BUT.... one has to wonder if Parson if now "free" of the various restrictions that came with being a de facto Erfworld unit. Can he now...as an example...cross hex boundaries?
    Parson promoted himself from 'garrison' during the Battle for Spacerock, otherwise he may not have been able to enter the Spacerock hex (or at least he was worried about that, anyway he did promote himself).

Sympathy for Charlie time, though. We've seen Charlie shoot himself in the foot, and we've seen Parson outwit Charlie. But this time Charlie did everything right and Parson was a complete sucker, and basically it went Parson's way for absolutely no Erfly reason.

Also, condolences for Parson time. He just blew his ticket home and instead of draining Charlie's treasury completely and taking a huge bite of his gem hoard, TV gets 19 mil and Parson gets to experience Minecraft falling into water mechanics.

Enemy units can con levels on units. That or Artemis is also a Master Date-a-mancer. So it would be extremely weird if Caesar and Ben couldn't see Jack and Maggie's bonus. It would not be extremely weird for them to miss that vital information in the heat of the moment, except Caesar had time to beat Vanna unconscious (I'm not saying it took a long time) and have a pointed discussion with Jack and Maggie about what exactly happened.

So I'm thinking that there is some justification for the hypothesis that Parson was actually gone from Erf for a short but significant time. Short enough that Stanley hasn't picked a different CWL (and Spacerock is still a GK city with Bonnie hanging around near Jed), long enough that Caesar didn't notice Jack and Maggie still having a CWL when Parson was banished.

Where'd he go? I'm thinking it doesn't matter unless he brought something back with him. Or lost something. The 'shoes are pretty sparkly (and pretty), I doubt Parson is wearing them. The bracer was worn under his sleeve rather than over it, last we saw.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:13 am 
    spriteless wrote:
    Man, Rob's using up all the deus ex magicka. There will be no more unique magic items with unpredictable effects left at this pace.
    I wouldn't really call this deus ex magicka. Lots of people speculated about it long in advance.

EDIT: Although it looks like Jed knew what would happen, since he knew to flood the top floor and open the rooftop. This lends credence to the idea that he was the one who killed Roger.

Last edited by Aquillion on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:14 am 
    Has collected at least one unit
    So this is what the spell meant by severing the ties that bind him to Erfworld. Also Jed is a bloody quick thinker, and the watered down drinks was a great joke!

I think we finally have confirmation from these updates that Parson is not a true unit at all, he is a playing piece a la chess - it makes me wonder if he is a knight?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:23 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Well boop me in the boop.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:23 am 
    Knight13 wrote:

*slurps drink*

You still get a CW bonus even if the CW is in a different hex - you just get additional bonuses for being in the same hex and again in the same stack (as explained when Caesar was fighting Stanley in the pass way back in Book 1). Back when Ansom was captured and Parson reinstated, Sizemore was in the Magic Kingdom, and his bonus from Ansom went away and then was replaced by Parson's. Janis was able to see Sizemore's bonus as it changed, noticed that the new CW bonus was low, and guessed that it was Parson.

So (assuming Parson is indeed still Chief Warlord, since Bonnie called him that), what Maggie and Jack would've felt is that they no longer had the bonus for being in the same hex as the Chief Warlord, but that they did still have the baseline Chief Warlord bonus, in the amount expected if Parson was still CW.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions