Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 294
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:22 pm 
Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day This user is a Tool!
keybounce wrote:
Infidel wrote:
Tv knob alliance. How long has Rob been sitting on that one?

I know. If that was a forum post, I would have tipped it.

Speaking of tips I've noticed that as of late the amount of people that tipped a comment doesn't increase when I tip a comment.

But in more relevant speak to what Keybounce said: It's a shame that "TV" and "Knob" are such common words, as it makes it practically impossible to verify whether anyone else has made such a pun.

Still, I'll say that the best names and puns, from a signamantic perspective, are the names characters give to other objects or things. Since it tells you a lot about the person that named such a thing. Take "Jed the Head" for example, it informs us that Stanley is the type of person who would name a head "Jed" since it rhymes, and he likes simple one syllable names since Stanley is a simple man. It also informs us that Stanley is impulsive.
However we don't know what other name Stanley had in mind for Jed after he came up with a better idea. Though, I'll bet it is "Fred"... though that's just my wishful thinking given Jed's rocky foundations resembling a giant piece of flint.

edit: Other examples of naming include Stanley renaming Motorroyal after it was razed "Dwagoncon" shows that Stanley really likes Dwagons. Olive Branch naming her garden the "Olive Garden" either demonstrates a bit of pride and self loving, or it is an expression that this is her garden.
You don't get these sorts of layers of meaning with units that come popped with their names.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:28 am 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    BeautifulAardvark wrote:
    greyknight wrote:
    Roger does need Vanna alive for his plan to work, however. Vanna would quite like to stay alive too, so she will probably act to protect Caesar until the heir pops.

All that should happen if Ceasar die is Vanna turns barbarian.

Is that really true, though? Then why was it important for Queen Bea to order her casters into the MK before she suicided?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:57 am 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    kaylasdad99 wrote:
    BeautifulAardvark wrote:
    greyknight wrote:
    Roger does need Vanna alive for his plan to work, however. Vanna would quite like to stay alive too, so she will probably act to protect Caesar until the heir pops.

All that should happen if Ceasar die is Vanna turns barbarian.

Is that really true, though? Then why was it important for Queen Bea to order her casters into the MK before she suicided?

Because with her suicide the portal would vanish and the now barbarian casters would be easy victims for capture/murder-decrypting by Gobwin Knob.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:17 am 
    Has collected at least one unit
    Important note: We just saw that certain things can bank upkeep costs. Cleaning a floor, for example, or "Other" side relevant repairs.

What if the portals aren't infinite energy, but are a turn-based conduit for that upkeep energy?
    By taking some to refill juice, wanda and co will have negatively impacted a treasury.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:04 am 
    Lipkin wrote:
    ErebusVonMori wrote:
    Wait if Schmuckers and Juice are interchangable and portal columns are a free source of infinite juice, then isn't that essentially infinite Schmuckers for every single side?

We've had no indication that juice can be turned into shmuckers, just that shmuckers can be turned into juice.

Correct. Most likely Moneymancy increases per turn income and/or reduces costs, like a turnamancer casting on a city to boost productivity. A turnamancer can end a turn in a linkup, but probably not grant one side 2 turns in a row.

So free juice helps with money, but won't generate new money. Otherwise CC wouldn't bother with contracts in the way it does.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:25 am 
    This user is a Tool! Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Mined 4 Erf This user has been published! Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Hoy!

Only here to remember that Dr. Jack was quoting what wise men say, according to The Titan Himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGJTaP6anOU

Happy new year!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:21 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    On the topic of Don using natural dirtamancy as Ruler to clean up Parson's vomit, what strikes me as most likely is that City Towers are a kind of "natural caster" that have access to natural thinkamancy, natural dirtamancy, and so on. We've seen natural magic before, so it would make sense in this instance. My theory is that City Towers are natural casters that provide an interface for Rulers to use natural magic to manage their sides.

We've seen that Rulers have natural magic: thinkamancy of orders, dirtamancy to upgrade/repair cities, ect. We've also seen that Shirley (CC's sentient tower) has access to these natural abilities. Shirley was able to use natural dirtamancy to fix the custom dirtamancy wiring that Ivan had previously made in order to restore Charlie's shocked connection to the Dish. What struck me about that particular update is that when Charlie had toyed with the idea of using his natural dirtamancy as Ruler in order to fix the city, he believed that he would just fuck it up worse. However, Shirley was able to use natural dirtamancy to fix the connection. Thus, Shirley was better at using natural dirtamancy that Charlie would've been.

I don't know if this energy is limitless. A good point was made that Big Think refilling its juice might potentially decrease the amount of Schmuckers produced by that side next turn.

I'm not trying to make an argument about what's going to happen and I don't really have a practical purpose by stating this. I'm just hypothesizing about the nature of Erf.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:42 pm 
    This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Lipkin wrote:
    ErebusVonMori wrote:
    Wait if Schmuckers and Juice are interchangable and portal columns are a free source of infinite juice, then isn't that essentially infinite Schmuckers for every single side?

We've had no indication that juice can be turned into shmuckers, just that shmuckers can be turned into juice.

No indication, other than perhaps in the anomalous size of Charlie's treasury, and Charlie's correlated use of the Portal to gain access to effectively unlimited amounts of Shockamancy.

guynietoren wrote:
    Otherwise CC wouldn't bother with contracts in the way it does.

Unless Charlie is doing so to try and prevent anyone from wondering enough about his source of income to allow them to infer that hack... or merely doing so to inconvenience other players by depriving them of money.

DukeofTuring wrote:
    Carl wrote:
    Oh for everyone thinking the doll will join the lnk if vanna and roger are allready in there it can't without breaking one of the more fundamental linking rules, more than 3 thinkmancer can link, but there's no indication more than 3 including a non-thinkmancer can.
    I had forgotten about that myself, certainly makes the doll joining seem less likely. If I can play devil's advocate, though, the rule of three would bar additional casters from being involved in the link. Experimental thinkamancy-golems and sentient towers might not count towards the total. Jed himself is, of course, a giant violation of one of the "rules" of the game, which is what makes me think he might provide an unusual solution to the problem of the linkup.

Now that I think about it this seems broadly similar to the setup for the Battle of Castle Lilith.

Hm. Possibly relevant: towers can be used for a casting bonus, suggesting a potential for sentient tower involvement with casting akin to linking.

Also, Jed is not an actual violation of the rules of the game; he's merely a violation of the understood rules and norms of the game. Cue digression to epistemology and the philosophy of science....

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:15 pm 
    This user is a Tool! This user posted the comment of the month This user got funny with a rodent Shiny Red Star Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Regarding the Makaleka joining the link...

Yes, it's our understanding that 4 casters cannot link unless they are Thinkamancers, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily true. The Great Minds were/are very protective of their knowledge and sealed away knowledge even from other Thinkamancers, meaning a way to sucessfully link more than 3 may have been sealed in such a manner. It may be possible to link 4 casters if two of them are Thinkamancers, for instance.

Thank you to Yshl's daughter for my new avatar. I love it! 3/4/2018

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:28 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    abb3w wrote:
    Lipkin wrote:

No indication, other than perhaps in the anomalous size of Charlie's treasury, and Charlie's correlated use of the Portal to gain access to effectively unlimited amounts of Shockamancy.

Mmm. I'm still wondering what those slot machines in CC were for.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:05 pm 
    This user is a Tool! This user posted the comment of the month This user got funny with a rodent Shiny Red Star Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    greycat wrote:

From that view, the portal room looks a bit like a Vegas lounge. I guess the slot machines are to keep the archons from getting bored down there.

Thank you to Yshl's daughter for my new avatar. I love it! 3/4/2018

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:11 pm 
    This user posted the comment of the month
    Carl wrote:
    Oh for everyone thinking the doll will join the lnk if vanna and roger are allready in there it can't without breaking one of the more fundamental linking rules, more than 3 thinkmancer can link, but there's no indication more than 3 including a non-thinkmancer can.

That's assuming, of course, that the Macarena doesn't count as a Thinkamancer. :think:

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:28 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Why are people assuming that State N links (3 < N < 7) require everyone in the link to be a Thinkamancer? We know that States 2 and 3 do not require that (only need 1 Thinkamancer). We know that State 7 trace-fusions only require 5 Master Thinkamancers, but not the total number of participants.

I never assumed that everyone in a link had to be a Thinkamancer. Every useful link we've seen, other than the Great Minds doing their daily circle jerk, has involved other disciplines.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:58 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Huh, given what the bracer said, the nature of the link, and who we know is working for whom as the readers, I'm thinking that Charlie's plan here is that the link DOES hack the portal to allow passage to non casters.

Just not to the Magic Kingdom.

Instead, it reroutes the user of the portal to Stupidworld. The doll going Leeroy Jenkins on the portal might just give that away before Parson meanders through and finds out he's been had.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:33 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Neat idea, but seems unlikely to me. Want to lay odds on it, even long ones? I'd call that a 0.5% off-chance. I'd put up to 40 quatloos on it.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:36 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    greycat wrote:
    abb3w wrote:
    Lipkin wrote:

Charlie often hires barbarian casters. The Lounge and Slots on 40 were there to entice the casters he hired to gamble the money he payed them back to him. That's why they were right next to the Portal.

It was a win-win for Charlie because the barbarian casters would have a really good impression of him due to all the amenities he'd offer casters that worked for him and Charlie would be able to get back some of the money he payed them. He'd also be able to have his archons gossip with the casters in order to collect intel on the MK.

(Lilith) The portal room was on 40. She'd never been there and she didn't know how it even connected. But it was supposed to be the highest security spot in the city, since it was the only place that ever hosted non-Charlescomm units.

(Bonnie) "We also brought in casters to link with him by direct touch, I guess because it worked better. We hired all kinds of then, but never a Carnymancer."

"That led to a sister whisper that Charlie was a Carnymancer," she continued. "We had dossiers on more Carnies than any other kind of caster, but we never saw on on 40. Why? Because he was one, maybe."

(Tondelayo) The promotion had come with a long, dull stint on 40. She spent her turns selling drinks to casters and plying them for intel, and trying (unsuccessfully) to stay out of tower politics.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:26 am 
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins This user got funny with a rodent Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Lipkin wrote:
    ErebusVonMori wrote:

We've had some strong speculation that the paying of upkeep is actually a juice transfer via the upkeep string.

ManaCaster wrote:
    Carl wrote:
    Hmmmm someone remind me when Roger was talking about master classing, is being a masterclass thinkmancer required to be a GM? I know they didn't have to be master in all 3 but can;t remember on the thinkmancer thing.

Nope. Saltina is just an adept. Isn't even multi-disciplined. You probably just need to get enough respect from the existing Great Minds.

Then i theory more than 4 caster can link up including master classes in other groups by having them learn just enough thinkmancy to participate.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:55 am 
    I believe that the GMTTA probably would insist that a caster submit to Thinking Alike before allowing them to learn how to manage a link. But other than this I do not see any insuperable difficulty with the idea that a caster sufficiently Adept to manage a State 3 as the primary Thinkamancer could join a higher Trance Fusion and bring their other casting masteries to it.

Though this is all somewhat irrelevant as long as the State 8, which can obviously safely link and unlink Masters from other Classes with no Eyemancy, remains in play and has access to unlimited juice. In fact, given the ease and certainty with which Deiform incorporated Ivan and Claud (and recommended linking with Wanda at the same time), I'd estimate that the chances are good that a State 7 can handle at least two non-Thinkamancers, it's just never been permitted.

Another high State Trance Fusion is unlikely to be formed for the remainder of this turn, though. Thus for not the relevant issue is what State 8 can do.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions