Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 291
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:13 am 
Complete non-sequitur time, does anyone know the name of the mountain range that encompasses Faq, TV, and CC?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:10 am 
    Chiu ChunLing wrote:
    Complete non-sequitur time, does anyone know the name of the mountain range that encompasses Faq, TV, and CC?

The Minty Mountains, named right at the start of book 1, confirmed here http://archives.erfworld.com/Book+2/14

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:53 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    JadedDragoon wrote:
    David Hunt wrote:
    Sylvan wrote:
    I mean, most people tend to think of themselves as good people. It would be easy for Charlie to try and justify his actions in the same way Shirly did, as being difficult but necessary to accomplish a "greater good" by defeating fate of whatever.

You're referring to the phrase that everyone is the hero of their own story? While there's truth in that, it doesn't mean that they think of themselves with the term "hero." More to the point, almost no one considers themselves to be evil/bad/etc. Even the worst scumbags on Earth have some story that they tell themselves whee they justify their action.

I think a more accurate version of the "everyone is the hero of their own story" maxim is no one ever sees themselves as the villain... especially the villain. Anyone who objectively acknowledges they are monsters without immediately being overcome with crushing guilt and self-loathing is either indifferent to the suffering of others or actively enjoys hurting others... in other words, a psychopath....

I mean just think of a person or a group that is a clear and obvious villain. Hitler? Stalin? The KKK? Dr Mengele? Kim Jong-il? (all low hanging fruit, but still) They all see or saw themselves as heroes doing dirty work for the greater good.

The Stanford Prison Experiment is a chilling window into how easy it is for otherwise average, normal people to become blind to the evil of their own actions. ...

And then there's the populace of Nazi-led Germany who collectively turned a blind eye to the rise of hatemongers and the internment of "undesirables." Slavery... apartheid and segregation... the list of times when people looked the other way and told themselves it was no big deal are legion. ...

...No one sees themselves as the villain... especially the villain.

First, let me link you "Not a Villain": http://navcomic.com/

Second, there will be plenty of people who know that something is wrong,but have no ability to do anything about it -- or rather, don't see any way for them to do anything about it. For example,if you thought that what the Republicans did in The United States with the tax bill was wrong, what can you do about it?

Third, "low hanging fruit"? Hitler? If you're going to call Hitler low hanging fruit, then you have to look at all of the other people throughout history that have blamed immigrants, have blamed small group X, have used war and military expansion as a solution to domestic problems, etc. Hitler may have been recent, but he was not the first, not the last, and possibly not even the worst.

How would you consider the people who divided up Europe and the middle east at the end of World War I along arbitrary lines without any regard for the social status of those areas just for the purpose of being able to purchase oil for tanks?

(... Help me assemble my army for the great war, your donations will give an army of dwagons a good home against the army of darkness ... not as important.)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:09 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Mined 4 Erf Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits For when you need it most Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    The Unlurked wrote:
    Shirley and Charlie are turning out to be amazing foils for one another. The Charlescomm half of this update has been one of the stealthiest info dumps ever. It's just fun, natural dialog while Charlie unwittingly bonds with his new mom.

Imma necro this thread rather than starting a new one, to mention this nugget (CharlesNCharg speaking to Shirley U. Jest):

CHARLESCOMM wrote:
    You can read the tower record on runaway Decryption when you get the chance.

What the hey? This is not only not Charlie's first rodeo, but there's already a record of a past time where the Arkenpliers (or something else capable of Decryption) were being used...which implies Attunement? And Rob just threw that into a larger text update, and I missed it and no one else commented on it?

I'm not sure whether this is Mind Blown :think: but I definitely didn't expect to find this item hiding in an older update. How in the world did CC already have a record of a past incident of 'runaway decryption' ?? Any speculation?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:22 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    ripple wrote:
    The Unlurked wrote:
    Shirley and Charlie are turning out to be amazing foils for one another. The Charlescomm half of this update has been one of the stealthiest info dumps ever. It's just fun, natural dialog while Charlie unwittingly bonds with his new mom.

Imma necro this thread rather than starting a new one, to mention this nugget (CharlesNCharg speaking to Shirley U. Jest):

CHARLESCOMM wrote:

What the hey? This is not only not Charlie's first rodeo, but there's already a record of a past time where the Arkenpliers (or something else capable of Decryption) were being used...which implies Attunement? And Rob just threw that into a larger text update, and I missed it and no one else commented on it?

I'm not sure whether this is Mind Blown :think: but I definitely didn't expect to find this item hiding in an older update. How in the world did CC already have a record of a past incident of 'runaway decryption' ?? Any speculation?

I can't read that that way. For one thing, Charlie knew the 'Pliers were in play during TBFGK. Knowing that GK was likely to recover them, then if he was aware of the Pliers ->Decryption link, he should have known immediately why his Archons were fighting for GK, but he didn't.

My guess is that Charlie is referring to the events leading up to the Assault on Jetstone, where GK attacks a city, croaks its troops, decrypts them, and keeps marching on to the next city with an even larger army requiring no more upkeep than before.

Or he's pulled a Lord Crush since then, had his Archons raid his own library (and probably those of other sides he's contracted to work against), and got really lucky in finding a previous instance of them being used. But I'm more inclined to believe that he's referring to Wanda.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:19 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Mined 4 Erf Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits For when you need it most Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Nimelennar wrote:
    CHARLESCOMM wrote:

ripple wrote:
    What the hey? This is not only not Charlie's first rodeo, but there's already a record of a past time where the Arkenpliers (or something else capable of Decryption) were being used...which implies Attunement? [...] How in the world did CC already have a record of a past incident of 'runaway decryption' ?? Any speculation?

I can't read that that way. For one thing, Charlie knew the 'Pliers were in play during TBFGK. Knowing that GK was likely to recover them, then if he was aware of the Pliers ->Decryption link, he should have known immediately why his Archons were fighting for GK, but he didn't.

My guess is that Charlie is referring to the events leading up to the Assault on Jetstone, where GK attacks a city, croaks its troops, decrypts them, and keeps marching on to the next city with an even larger army requiring no more upkeep than before.

Or he's pulled a Lord Crush since then, had his Archons raid his own library (and probably those of other sides he's contracted to work against), and got really lucky in finding a previous instance of them being used. But I'm more inclined to believe that he's referring to Wanda.

Very well thought out - I had completely forgotten that exchange. Agreed, the "tower records" on "runaway" Decryption are new and reflect the Wanda-verse, not some older thing with a previous Attuned wielder of the Arkenpliers.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled "wait, what happened to Bill's head...and Charlie's dish...and where are the 'pliers, and..." as we build up to BEDLAM IN ICFYS.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions