Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 287
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:22 pm 
User avatar
Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day This user is a Tool!
Offline
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:35 am
Posts: 2344
Location: Wales... New South Wales
Chiu ChunLing wrote:
greyknight wrote:
I don't associate people's names with their original bodies; if the person inhabits another body, then I associate their name with that new body instead.
Sure, we call the new body Isaac's binding. But referring to the former body of a departed person by the name of that person is a long-standing custom that is also fairly convenient. And Erfworlders do it too.

Or we could just go with referring to Isaac's original body as "Durkula"

  • Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 287
     Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:06 pm 
    User avatar
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Offline
    Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:34 am
    Posts: 333
    Anomynous 167 wrote:
    Chiu ChunLing wrote:
    greyknight wrote:
    I don't associate people's names with their original bodies; if the person inhabits another body, then I associate their name with that new body instead.
    Sure, we call the new body Isaac's binding. But referring to the former body of a departed person by the name of that person is a long-standing custom that is also fairly convenient. And Erfworlders do it too.

    Or we could just go with referring to Isaac's original body as "Durkula"

    Isaac classic? The Thinkamancer Formerly Known as Isaac? (I just re-read the last ~200 strips of OotS).

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 287
     Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:14 pm 
    User avatar
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf
    Offline
    Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:36 am
    Posts: 4097
    Yousaac

    _________________
    I'm writing a fan fiction. It's called Murder in the Magic Kingdom. Check it out, if you'd like. Completed May 5th, 2015

    I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

  • Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 287
     Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:17 pm 
    User avatar
    IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:14 pm
    Posts: 288
    Weallsaac

    ...actually sort of appropriate.

  • Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 287
     Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:30 pm 
    User avatar
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day This user is a Tool!
    Offline
    Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:35 am
    Posts: 2344
    Location: Wales... New South Wales
    Iceac!

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 287
     Post Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:45 am 
    User avatar
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:47 pm
    Posts: 542
    Anomynous 167 wrote:
    Iceac!


    Greg? :P

    _________________
    Retconjuration Competition,This is Sparta! Competition <- events Closed.

    It's allies about the hair Contest <- Extended until 1st March..

  • Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 287
     Post Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:01 pm 
    User avatar
    Offline
    Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:20 pm
    Posts: 1171
    I always thought that Deisaac was short for "Deiform using Isaac's body".

    Since we now know that Isaac's strings are still attached to it, I see no reason not to keep calling it that.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 287
     Post Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:55 am 
    This user posted the comment of the month
    Offline
    Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:24 pm
    Posts: 279
    Chiu ChunLing wrote:
    referring to the former body of a departed person by the name of that person is a long-standing custom

    Not round here it isn't. :-P Honestly I think you're the last person on this forum I'd expect to make the "universal custom" error, you're usually sharper than that. I guess you're only human after all ;)

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 287
     Post Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:41 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:57 am
    Posts: 840
    For all the minds in Isaac's body, how about "Multiple In Knocked out One" or Miko for short? ;P

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 287
     Post Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:06 pm 
    User avatar
    Offline
    Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:20 pm
    Posts: 1171
    greyknight wrote:
    Chiu ChunLing wrote:
    referring to the former body of a departed person by the name of that person is a long-standing custom

    Not round here it isn't. :-P Honestly I think you're the last person on this forum I'd expect to make the "universal custom" error, you're usually sharper than that. I guess you're only human after all ;)
    It's a customary usage in Erf, as well as on Earth. I don't know of a single human culture where it is not more common in colloquial usage to refer to the body of the departed person by that person's name than by some different unique identifier.

    I liked Miko. She had the deepest characterization of anyone in OOTS. But I don't get the attempt to connect her to Deisaac. Multiple Integrated Knock Outs does have an interesting and expansive set of possible implications relevant as a description, though.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 287
     Post Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:19 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Offline
    Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:57 am
    Posts: 840
    Chiu ChunLing wrote:
    I liked Miko. She had the deepest characterization of anyone in OOTS. But I don't get the attempt to connect her to Deisaac.

    (It was a joke because people like to argue about Miko)

    Miko "no cheat to win" such as kill enemy while they sleep, determined to stop "badness", with a flash of lighting storm, slash slash and enemy was all dead.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 287
     Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:10 am 
    This user posted the comment of the month
    Offline
    Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:24 pm
    Posts: 279
    Chiu ChunLing wrote:
    I don't know of a single human culture where it is not more common in colloquial usage to refer to the body of the departed person by that person's name

    doubt.gif

    Chiu ChunLing wrote:
    than by some different unique identifier.

    It's not a "unique identifier", it's just "<person>'s body".

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 287
     Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:25 pm 
    User avatar
    Offline
    Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:20 pm
    Posts: 1171
    It was a single sentence.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 287
     Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:11 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Offline
    Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:59 pm
    Posts: 625
    Anomynous 167 wrote:
    Sir Dr D wrote:
    Can someone explain the puns behind A. Dummy , and Jerry Can?

    The scarecrow is a brainless dummy. The tin-man is a tin-can that was jerry-built.

    Forgive the bump, but are you saying he was Jerry-rigged?

    _________________
    Milestone Goal 5: Linda gets healthy again.

    (... Help me assemble my army for the great war, your donations will give an army of dwagons a good home against the army of darkness ... not as important.)

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 287
     Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:36 am 
    User avatar
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day This user is a Tool!
    Offline
    Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:35 am
    Posts: 2344
    Location: Wales... New South Wales
    keybounce wrote:
    Anomynous 167 wrote:
    Sir Dr D wrote:
    Can someone explain the puns behind A. Dummy , and Jerry Can?

    The scarecrow is a brainless dummy. The tin-man is a tin-can that was jerry-built.

    Forgive the bump, but are you saying he was Jerry-rigged?

    Yes.
    Vendanna wrote:
    Anomynous 167 wrote:
    Iceac!


    Greg? :P

    I am confused here. I was doing the icecream song with Lipkin and Jatopian.

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
     Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 287
     Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:58 pm 
    User avatar
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day This user is a Tool!
    Offline
    Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:35 am
    Posts: 2344
    Location: Wales... New South Wales
    Anomynous 167 wrote:
    Vendanna wrote:
    Anomynous 167 wrote:
    Iceac!


    Greg? :P

    I am confused here. I was doing the icecream song with Lipkin and Jatopian.

    That took me way too long to comprehend. I don't really frequent the Order of the Stick forums...

  • Tip this post

    Make Anonymous
  • Top 
       
    Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     
    Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ] 

    Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions


    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 10 guests

     
     

     
    You cannot post new topics in this forum
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot post attachments in this forum

    Search for:
    Jump to: