Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 274
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:34 am 
This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
Typo: "It it a metal? Is it more like stone?" (First word should be "Is".)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:37 am 
    I keep seeing that everyone assumes that the portal will become like Jed possibly with Tower of Sauron signimancy. However the big ifference was that Jed was made from a capital sites Tower and not a portal.
    I envision the Portal-creature as possibly something more like Shodan, not possessing a ore traditional physical body but being more a creature of juice and intellect. We also don't know if the portals are all interconnected or not. If IT gains a body it might be something like a stargate and be able to shut or close itself off on it's own. Either way a endless power reactor given life is terrifying for Erf.
    In a way Deiform Issac or the Bigthink, which ever way we call it, reminds me a lot of the conversation of what could happen if A.I. occured and started to evolve. Already we can see that BT is at least entertaining the idea of creating the Portal golem. Sure it doesn't like the idea, but it doesn't seem completely locked into 'No' as an answer. If it was, then I'm sure it would have no problem keeping Claud from making one. BT is about to accidentally create the next version of AI and one that in theory: won't have a time card that's about to be punched out.
    Dor all we know the Portal-golem might be beholden to Claud's and the MK's beliefs. Jed seems fond of his side, but he's not exactly a unit of GK. After all, we have an enemy portal being worked on by linked group of GK casters and a neutral master party: BT.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:00 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    This brings up something that I've mentioned before about the difference between doll golems and dirt golems: the doll golems seem to be inert material that is moved around by an external set of forces (like a marionette), while the dirt golems are made of animated material that moves itself like organic muscle.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:01 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    Ahhh, the desire to give birth, to bring forth a new mind. So compelling.
    You could even say it is the reason for existence itself, The universe and Fate itself. Despite all risks, they are drawn to this task, just like Ace-Sizemore once did. A thinkamancer joining together two person under the eye of the Titans with the promise to multiply, so to speak, each passing forward their better half, into a new avatar.

and a new mind shall be born! not immutable and staunch as a tower, but with juice? flexibility? After all portals come and go as sides raise and fall. is there inactive portals? or they materialize each time? Are they giving birth to a CASTER?

cities got upkeep, that give the cities a rudimentary sense of existence, brought forth in Jed, through the tower itself, and anew a city shall awaken to a sense of self, through its portal? or are the portals dual-minded for each side? will this entity be fond of the Magic Kingdom instead?
    will charlies portal still exist?

Last edited by The Rats on Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:03 am 
    Caprice wrote:
    I'm really hoping it turns out that all towers innately speak Hawaiian :mrgreen:

well, given the titans resemblance to Elvis and the latter's connection to hawaii, i'd say it's not out of the question.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:04 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Good on you Cloud. Even after capitulating, you didn't lose your core identity.

Also that was the best speech we've seen on Erf. Damn the callous sociopath Wanda for cutting you off.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:06 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool!
    In the last picture you can see as Claude weaves the string that the cloth golem also holds a string, connected to Claude, like an M.C. Escher drawing. Which hand is doing the work?! Amazing. Is it somehow the will of the column to be made alive, and Claude is following his "programming", like a robot, trying to bring it to life. Who is controlling who? What a fascinating story, and the art is just beautiful.

• Tipped by 3 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:12 am 
    Madhattan wrote:
    Well there are some interestong signamancies for Charlescomms prospective new tower avaiable:

Skynet has already been mentioned and so has HAL.

So what else:

Machine City of Matrix (we have had matrix signamancy already)

Shodan from System-Shock (sort of Evil Jed)

Deus (The twisted Renraku Arcology AI) from Shadowrun which is my favorite:
    - Business AI, fits Charlescomm signamancy
    - Gone Mad, acive in the Matrix (sort of future internet but detacheable), fits the dish and stuff
    - DEUS (Kafka and Nietzsche signamancy) + (DEUS is latin for god. Their pantheon fell the titans)
    - Shadowrun has a nice mix of tech and magic to which this world setting is changing. Erfworld goes cybertech..mhahaha

There is also the Xenogears "Deus", a word conquering cyberweapon built around the Zohar, a pseudo-perpetual motion machine with unlimited energy and the ability to generate magic like effects at range on a planetary scale.
    Should I mention that it is indestructible except for the one guy in the univers that has an extradementional connection?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:38 am 
    Count_to_10 wrote:
    Madhattan wrote:
    Well there are some interestong signamancies for Charlescomms prospective new tower avaiable:

Skynet has already been mentioned and so has HAL.

So what else:

Machine City of Matrix (we have had matrix signamancy already)

Shodan from System-Shock (sort of Evil Jed)

Deus (The twisted Renraku Arcology AI) from Shadowrun which is my favorite:
    - Business AI, fits Charlescomm signamancy
    - Gone Mad, acive in the Matrix (sort of future internet but detacheable), fits the dish and stuff
    - DEUS (Kafka and Nietzsche signamancy) + (DEUS is latin for god. Their pantheon fell the titans)
    - Shadowrun has a nice mix of tech and magic to which this world setting is changing. Erfworld goes cybertech..mhahaha

There is also the Xenogears "Deus", a word conquering cyberweapon built around the Zohar, a pseudo-perpetual motion machine with unlimited energy and the ability to generate magic like effects at range on a planetary scale.
    Should I mention that it is indestructible except for the one guy in the univers that has an extradementional connection?

You guys are still forgetting AM from I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream, who's perhaps the first evil A.I in existence.

The Unlurked wrote:
    Then it's going to launch some variant of nukes or whatever it was Charlie meant when he told Parson he had weapons Parson hadn't even dreamed of. Something truly gamebreaking and global has to happen.

The Predictamancy we were given for this Book's resolution is the beginning of the war to end all wars. That's a reference to World War I, not some piddling final battle between 4 neighboring sides occupying some trivial speck of the map. Escalation is to be expected.

Didn't we see Ivan working on something eerily similar to the Manhattan Project?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:52 am 
    This user is a Tool! Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    An intelligent portal with Titanic signamancy would be

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:09 am 
    This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    A wonderful update, told from a fresh perspective, like Poe's was a few updates ago.

It seems to me that Claude is much more like Isaac was than Poe was, i.e., much more cognizant of strings, other discipline's techniques, etc. This is good because the conclusions presented here settle years of speculation, and had to be explained as translated from the Material and woven together by a Master Spookist to bring another dimension into it.

I thought the free juice exploit was truly over-powered, breaking the fundamental design rule that drives all the others. That Claud thought it was a big cheat, the worst in fact, made me happy. That it is only something the State 8.2 (a unique linked spell/unit combo) can perform, and in a localized way (touching a portal), satisfies me because it still falls in line with the "there is always a exception" rule without opening up to OP-shenanigans from any caster able to touch a portal.

In some ways, the reweaving of the Material is a mixed blessing for it. It requires Claud and Poe to drive it, to impose will on juice, and apparently now, even to think for it; it's renewed coherence has reduced it's creativity and spontaneity.

I am confused how these words fit together: "column", "tower", "golem", and "portal".

Parson's idea was a Tower golem, not including the portal underneath it (?) -- in fact, the portal seems to be quite a separate component from Jed. So they are contemplating going to Charlescomm and then trying to create a tower golem there? Or perhaps attempt this through the portal using the infinite juice trick to cast through to the other side?

Does the Material think it might be able to inhabit such a golem in a more permanent way? I mean, it says it knows it has a limited lifespan, is it still being motivated to survive? From what we now know, it seems like large portions of the Material could be written on the tower golem's string during creation.

We really have no idea what it could do, but it would seem to suffer from Jed's main problem during his creation -- he/it has no Move, no Motion at all. But, as others pointed out, it would be linked via (broken but repairable by State 8.2) Shockmancy to the Arkendish. That's an deliciously scary possibility.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:22 am 
    This user is a Tool! Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Claud and Ivan are going to be executed so quickly once they outlive their usefulness. I can feel it. The Star Child won't let them remember this stuff.

Old Cyborg pony pic:
    Full Image.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:33 am 
    This was a really great, dense update, even if it culminated in a...gambit...that doesn't seem so well considered.

IMO, the most important part of it is that we finally, finally get to learn why Carnymancy can do so much! As thinkamancy involves the magic of thought and knowledge, canymancy is the magic of belief. It can change your beliefs and your cognitive model of the world. In this update's terminology, it changes the pattern of the weave that is recognized as correct, and is copied during casting. By changing the caster's will, a pattern that previously would have been recognized as incorrect and discarded is made manifest through the expression of juice.

I can totally get behind that model.

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:46 am 
    This user has been published! This user is a Tool! Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Free Radical wrote:
    Squall83 wrote:
    Oh my god they're going to breathe life into Charlie's Tower! Why can't they at least wait until the pact of non-aggression is over? I know that the new unit won't be GKs much like Jed isn't either, but afair the penalty might trigger anyway, because intent and all that.

We did just have an update recently where Jed pointed out that he's not a unit. They're also not technically damaging anything of Charlie's. I don't think this dings the treaty at all.

Hahaha, that's a funny turn of events! If it's not a unit it can't trigger the penalty. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am going to be on the edge of my seat for the next couple of months.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:56 am 
    Has collected at least one unit
    jebejosiah wrote:
    In the last picture you can see as Claude weaves the string that the cloth golem also holds a string, connected to Claude, like an M.C. Escher drawing. Which hand is doing the work?! Amazing. Is it somehow the will of the column to be made alive, and Claude is following his "programming", like a robot, trying to bring it to life. Who is controlling who? What a fascinating story, and the art is just beautiful.

I am pretty sure that on the picture, the golem's hand is not guiding, but unraveling Claude. So maybe he is going to become it.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:59 am 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Presuming they're not already in one, holy crap, a trilink where the thinkamancer is really 8-15+(?) thinkamancers.... Shite.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:12 pm 
    The way Dollamancer described how magic works according to his BT-granted insight reminds me strongly of how spellcasters manipulate the Weave in the Forgotten Realms.

Whispri wrote:
    I fear this page can be summarised with one short, terrible phrase: Hey guys, watch this!

"Look Ma, no strings!"

MethosArchaic wrote:
    I keep seeing that everyone assumes that the portal will become like Jed possibly with Tower of Sauron signimancy. However the big ifference was that Jed was made from a capital sites Tower and not a portal.
    I envision the Portal-creature as possibly something more like Shodan, not possessing a ore traditional physical body but being more a creature of juice and intellect. We also don't know if the portals are all interconnected or not. If IT gains a body it might be something like a stargate and be able to shut or close itself off on it's own. Either way a endless power reactor given life is terrifying for Erf.
    In a way Deiform Issac or the Bigthink, which ever way we call it, reminds me a lot of the conversation of what could happen if A.I. occured and started to evolve. Already we can see that BT is at least entertaining the idea of creating the Portal golem. Sure it doesn't like the idea, but it doesn't seem completely locked into 'No' as an answer. If it was, then I'm sure it would have no problem keeping Claud from making one. BT is about to accidentally create the next version of AI and one that in theory: won't have a time card that's about to be punched out.
    Dor all we know the Portal-golem might be beholden to Claud's and the MK's beliefs. Jed seems fond of his side, but he's not exactly a unit of GK. After all, we have an enemy portal being worked on by linked group of GK casters and a neutral master party: BT.

It's made from a Portal. Sure it's gonna be GLaDOS.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:44 pm 
    Istaro wrote:
    Anomynous 167 wrote:
    Remember Lilith going commando?

Mmmm. I'm pretty sure I'd remember that!

They meant "going Rambo" or in modern parlance perhaps, "going Seal Team Six". But, of course you knew that. For those readers whose primary language is not American, "going commando" also means not wearing underwear.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:52 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user is a Tool! Shiny Red Star Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    obscureinfo wrote:
    For those readers whose primary language is not American, "going commando" also means not wearing underwear.

Ahhh, now that makes sense, thank you!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:54 pm 
    rezby wrote:
    It's about time now for Jillian and Marie to... do something and ruin just about all of the planning we've seen, right?

Yep, that's her job. Or both of their jobs. (I am still ticked off at Marie for dusting Georgia Power, errr!)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions