Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 267
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:56 pm 
Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
I had a curious idea. When a side dies, it's portal deactivates. Right? If so, could Wanda use the 'pliers to 'decrypt' a 'dead' portal? Now knowing what we know about hacking active portals, that raises some interesting possibilities. Would such a portal only allow decrypted units through? Supply a new form of shockamancy 'power' never seen before? Hmmm...

• Tipped by 4 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:59 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Citizen Alan wrote:
    I'm just suddenly surprised to find that Erfworld has a moon. Have we seen it before? I had always assumed for some reason that it was a flat world since I visualize it as being a board game or a computer game (on a tv screen) brought to life.
    Well, we know that the world is finite in size, since there was a finite number of starting sides. So if the world was flat, some folks would have to be at the edge of the map, which would be weird. Given a finite world, I think it makes more sense that it would be round.

There's something puzzling me: On the analogy given at the beginning, the Big Think is the earth and Ivan the moon that orbits it. But then the Big Think tells Ivan, "You shine in our reflected light." And of course the actual moon doesn't reflect the light of the earth; it reflects the light of the sun.

The most natural interpretation here is just that it's a bit of a mixed metaphor. I mean, it works: the point is that the moon gives off light only by reflection, and the moon orbits something else, and the Big Think is the sun in the first analogy and the earth in the second analogy.

But it was enough to make me pause and wonder whether I'd missed something. For example, is there in fact a sun that Erfworld revolves around (or even one that revolves around Erfworld), or do they get their light some other way?

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:00 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Scorf wrote:
    I had a curious idea. When a side dies, it's portal deactivates. Right? If so, could Wanda use the 'pliers to 'decrypt' a 'dead' portal? Now knowing what we know about hacking active portals, that raises some interesting possibilities. Would such a portal only allow decrypted units through? Supply a new form of shockamancy 'power' never seen before? Hmmm...

Assuming a city can croak in the conventional sense, that would be worth experimenting with. Not sure if 0 upkeep would lead to 0 production though. That would certainly answer a lot of how decryption handles that, of course. If the city produces nothing, decryption leaves a broken, severed, or capped treasury string, or feeds it back on itself somehow. If it has regular production, then its an unconventional alteration that may be full on cheating. Debug cheats in the hands of players and all that

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:01 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit
    I am expecting less Stark/Iron Man and more Vision if "Big Think" is able to sort its threads out. I must admit that Ivan's way of thinking is great for the narrative of this page, he simplifies the State 8.1 craziness while still giving us the reader insight into the concepts that are beyond his ability to process.

Nicely done.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:02 pm 
    Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! This user got funny with a rodent Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins For when you need it most Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    The_Author_Is_Dead wrote:
    Also, this puts me one step closer to viewing Erfworld as a giant video game of some sort.

I think its pretty confirmed that its a game. When Erfworld units look at each other they see stats floating about them, no blood, profanity filters, limited free-will, turn based activities, etc.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:04 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user has been published! Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user got funny with a rodent Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    So can someone explain the whole traps-deactivating thing to me?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:11 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter E is for Erfworld Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    So wait, I just realized: the Big Think was able to read Parson's Signamancy-encrypted flower journal? Tights, nothing's safe from eavesdropping.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:11 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Awesome update. I kind of understand what the Great Minds are/were trying to do.

If all the rules are broken, the world becomes a bunch of booping crazy traps and random BS, and everyone kind of loses, in a way.

I still don't know though, what is Erfworld's endgame? What happens?

Also, confirmation that Erfworld has a natural satellite. <3

More evidence than a painting that lots of folks (including me) thought was a window at first glance. :D

Last edited by Beeskee on Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:14 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Ansan Gotti wrote:
    So can someone explain the whole traps-deactivating thing to me?

It feels like that's the analogy BT is using to explain the Thinkamancers' crusade against Badness to Ivan in Rocker terms.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:16 pm 
    This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a Tool! This user has been published! This user got funny with a rodent Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    It figures a moon would spend most of its time reflecting on matters.

Also, wow -- hard to believe someone taking a Hamstard-level idea seriously... If anyone ever casts Summon Perfect Warlord again, maybe they'll get the moanin' rodent himself.

---

I have a fanfiction archive here and a DeviantArt page -- including Erfworld fanart this site hasn't seen -- here!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:16 pm 
    Strange that Loj Banhammer hated his Shockamancer so much in spite of being a philo-caster. As shockamancy is raw juice, Rusty Trombone should've been the most respected of his casters instead of the least, even if Shockamancers understand the least of how to use juice with any sort of finesse.

Also, why does everyone think Deissac will go to Charlie's tower of Cool Storybro? It'd make more sense narratively for Deissac to head to Jed...

Last edited by Corrupt User on Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:18 pm 
    Arci wrote:
    A few notes I took from it all, apologies if I've been ninja'd.

1, Shockmancy is juice... And a little part of my brain is going "I knew it!"

2, Erfworld is only mostly round. This makes sense as you can't get a truly round object with just hexes. In theory if each hex wasn't a perfect hex you could get a vaguely rounded object... maybe. But it'd still be warped and you might have a few hexes that were... weird. It also actually reminds me of one of the "cheats" you can use, using nexagons and pentagons to create a large polygon. When separated it looks like a bunch of triangles, the pentagons are the tips of the triangles, so I guess if you went with that and then "curved" the sides of each triangle... you'd need a way to hide the pentagons though. Hmmm.

3, oh crap! Did... did the update just imply that Deiform (I refuse to call him Big Think as, to me, he is thinking in every way EXCEPT "big") just snagged Claud as well?!

4, "I am Bedrock man" seems appropriate. I wonder how it'd fare against shockmancy, fire, or gas traps. I mean, if falling is a kind of natural shockmancy then the sudden impact of an explosive blast should have the same effect, the more rigid the armor, the less shock(wave)mancy impact damage it should be able to absorb.

5, it appears that Deiform wants to "hack" a portal, which seems weird if it wants to simply invade Charlescom... unless it wants to avoid the traps and invade from the outside, where ranged shockmancy and bullets/guns would be it's biggest threat. This would work well with point-4.

6, it appears that Parson's coms are less secure than he thought. IE, he thought that, through the signamancy that his notes would be only readable to himself, but it seems that the Great Minds (they weren't Deiform then) already knew enough about signamancy to see through it.

7, It appears that Deiform will not be the villain that I had thought it would, if it truly is limited to such a short timeframe of existance. Then again, if it should somehow attune to the arkendish...

8, Dirtamancy resets... interesting, it appears that the reset of healing and such at the beginning of a turn also counts as a form of dirtamancy, could there be some amount of relation between dirtamancy and healomancy?

9, The paragraph right before the middle picture has a typo, it says
    Quote:
    "...all those other things Charlie that did with the Arkendish."

I think the words "Charlie" and "that" should be swapped.

10, The GMs, and, inheritly, Deiform, are against modding and otherwise "changing" Erfworld. Also it appears that, like I suspected, if you change it too much, like cutting the strands of a spider's web, both the spider (the strong) and those caught in it (the weak) will suffer... by falling to the ground, as the analogy goes.

This leaves me with the impression that, if the "Baddies" are like the "freed humans" from the matrix, then the GM's themselves, not Charlie" would be the "Agents" thereof.

There might be more that I'm missing, but these are the impressions I got.

1, Same here.

2, Then again, Earth is only mostly round too. But yes, a globe-like object made of hexagons is kinda hard to envision without the hexes having curvature. Which could be the case, now that I think about it.

3, No, the update implies that BT wants to snag Cloud.

4, It's been established that bedrock is impervious to all of that. It doesn't matter how rigid it is, the immunity to everything is what counts.

5, It's implied that BT wants to hack a portal to survive. Dirtamancer thought that it would decay for lack of juice, hacking the portal would fix that.

6, It would appear so.

7, Remember Maxim 29: "The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy. No more. No less." Yes, BT wants to defeat Charlie, but we can't be sure of what it'll want to do with Parson once it doesn't need him.

8, Yes, it's curious. It might have to do with the BT being some kind of construct, though. Does anyone know if this came up before? I don't remember.

Last edited by sirgarberto on Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:22 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    qualiyah wrote:
    There's something puzzling me: On the analogy given at the beginning, the Big Think is the earth and Ivan the moon that orbits it. But then the Big Think tells Ivan, "You shine in our reflected light." And of course the actual moon doesn't reflect the light of the earth; it reflects the light of the sun.
    But it was enough to make me pause and wonder whether I'd missed something. For example, is there in fact a sun that Erfworld revolves around (or even one that revolves around Erfworld), or do they get their light some other way?

In addition to orbiting the earth, the moon orbits the sun. I don't think the Big Think was meant to be seen as the earth.

Also, the sun is specifically mentioned when Parson was discussing relative time with Sizemore and Maggie, so I would say Erfworld definitely has a sun.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:25 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    So many big confirmations and speculations, but I'm just here happy to finally know for sure I was right about the incantations for haduken, and the phrasing implies it may be true for all incantations.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:28 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter E is for Erfworld Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Beeskee wrote:
    I still don't know though, what is Erfworld's endgame? What happens?

Code:
    Congratulations!
    You have made it to the light of day!

You journey home and sell all your
    loot at a great profit and are
    admitted to the fighters guild.

--Press space to continue--

Worth  Item
    a)     2  1 ration of food
    b)    65  A potion of thirst quenching (yellow)
    c)  1000  The Hammer of Ark
    d)    20  +0 leather armor [armor class 3] (being worn)
    e)    40  A scroll of blank paper
           0  Shmuckers

1227 shmuckers.  Parson won on level 4

• Tipped by 5 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:31 pm 
    Man this was some really awesome writing. I have a feeling that the days of lots of musical puns and dancefighting are gone for good. That Erfworld is done and gone which makes me sad but this is getting damn good

Parson as a white hat hacker makes sense but he's still a hacker. Deissac seems like an avatar of Erf and I'm pretty positive Jed DEFINITELY is. This is laying the groundwork to unite Charlescomm with the Hamster, eventually leading to all the main characters on one side versus Fate.

Why do I say this? Deissac and Jed both stand for the status quo and want things to not change. No more guns. No more portal hacking. Both are near deities in power. Deissac in full god mode would take the entire alliance of all the main protagonists to challenge.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:35 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    The_Author_Is_Dead wrote:
    Also, this puts me one step closer to viewing Erfworld as a giant video game of some sort.

Well, sure. Didn't you see Tron (the 1982 version with Jeff Bridges, not the Tron: Legacy version)? The scene where Jeff Bridges gets zapped into the computer, shows him in the exact same posture that Parson was in when he got PLOT!ted into Gobwin Knob.

Except Jeff Bridges got zapped into an Atari multi-game console, with games like Pac-Man and Asteroids, and Donkey Kong. Parson looks more like Beau Bridges, and he got zapped into an MMORPG.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:39 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Why do people keep saying Jed didn't like portal hacking? He was upset they couldn't hack his portal.

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:40 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Ganny wrote:
    Ultimate Hack: Portal Juice into unlimited juice for any caster. Dear lord, that would turn a caster into a god then...

Probably what Jed the Head is, honestly. He's a tower, directly connected to the very fabric of Erf. I have no doubt that the Juice he gives Maggie comes from the Portal within him.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:41 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary This user is a Tool! Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    So is the reason that casters can pass through portals because they have juice, or because they can control juice?

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions