Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 258
 Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:32 am 
Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins This user got funny with a rodent Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
Finally, someone tells Jojo to shut up...

Sir Dr D wrote:

If it becomes obvious that Charlie destroyed the temple, and Parson is genuinely concerned and wants to help the great minds, it could turn over Roger to Parson's side. And then Roger can bring Jojo over to their side as well.

I don't see it happening. Roger believes they're really good friends, but I have a feeling that isn't the case.

Jojo is very firmly in Charlie's camp. It would take a lot more than blowing up the Temple to make a difference. Now, if something dire were to happen to the Carnyvale that had Charlie's fingerprints on it, I could see a change of heart.

-R.E. Howard, Tower of the Elephant

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:47 am 
    Yeah well, not everything in Erfworld (the comic) makes sense, i guess we can count Roger's motivation among those things, for now at least.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:14 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Has anyone suggested before that maybe Jojo is playing a game nobody else, even Roger, is even aware of? It's so easy to believe he's only working for Charlie that I've been starting to think there must be more to it than that.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:49 am 
    This user posted the comment of the month
    C9H20 wrote:
    I am trying to make sense of Roger's decision tree if that is what it is. First guess is algorithm but those don't quite look like what is presented here. In algorithms rectangles are actions which kind of works if those are Decisions, the star like elements are conditional branching however the main sticking point is that circles are end and beginning and here circles do everything, they present points of intersection but can also be on their own so they are not just junction points either.

I think you mean flowcharts. Algorithms are abstract mathematical objects and don't "look like" anything.

Knott wrote:
    It could be that "Dead" and "Kill" carries with it a strange signamancy that aggravates those words further. Perhaps in an "atheistic" sense that they are more final; If you are dead you cease to exist and killing means to entirly end somone.

Whereas "Croak" is a word native to the Erfworlders and carries with it the native-theistic interpretations that those that croak still exist in a sense that they are merely removed from the board and put somewhere else, like f.ex "back in the box" or to "the city of heroes".

Seems thoroughly unlikely since Stupidworld has basically identical beliefs attached to the word "dead".

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:51 am 
    Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf
    Called it, Parson is buying Roger's story. I don't think that was a hard prediction, because Parson was and is in the dark about what's going on and doesn't have a reason to think Roger is lying.
    Is he really lying, though? Just because he agreed with Jojo about Charlie's story that GK took out the Temple doesn't mean he belives it. He could think that Charlie destroyed the Temple and still put taking out Parson as a first goal. Rescue Vanna, rebuild the GMS in his image aND take down Charlie later.

Awesome imagery, we get to see a bit of the power of a Headmaster tracking multi conversations at once, both in world and thinkspace. Imaging what such a mind could do with the Arkendish!

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:23 pm 
    Vendanna wrote:
    Raziel wrote:
    The Unlurked wrote:
    The last dialog bubble is missing.

RVC: Jojo, set me on fire. For luck.

The theory is sound, though! He could hug Parson for 3d4 per turn! Per. Turn.
    https://www.nuklearpower.com/2008/02/05 ... irelemons/

Technically "set someone on fire" on fire also has the meaning that they "Spirited/cheer them up" that's why they say the "I'm on fire" when they are eager to do things. :)

OK, so Roger's plan is to drain two threes in a row to get himself heated up, and then do a 360 degree monster jam next to Parson which will make Ceasar scream "HE'S ON FIRE!!"

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:42 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    dwp222 wrote:
    So "dead" is a swear word.

Isn't it interesting. The whole world is censored and kind of child friendly, despite being the stage for a permanent, terrible war.

a) No visible blood.
    b) No "bad language"
    c) No adult terms for things like murder, death, sexual assault. The locals understand the words, but find saying them out loud to be in terribly bad taste, and uncomfortable.

Add in the fact that the mighty Arkenhammer is a child's toy with a built in whistle, and the Arkenpliers are regular needle nose pliers, such as could have been accidentally left somewhere and been adopted by a toy as a kid.

The sophisticated game logic of the place isn't from a child, but a lot of the rules and the visuals are from the mind of (or designed for) a small child.

I expect we'll eventually find out why that is. It's a fascinating and strange choice the writer has made. It took me quite a while to get use to it, enough so that I could appreciate the sophistication of the story.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:10 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    hyzmarca wrote:
    Knott wrote:
    It could be that "Dead" and "Kill" carries with it a strange signamancy that aggravates those words further. Perhaps in an "atheistic" sense that they are more final; If you are dead you cease to exist and killing means to entirly end somone.

Whereas "Croak" is a word native to the Erfworlders and carries with it the native-theistic interpretations that those that croak still exist in a sense that they are merely removed from the board and put somewhere else, like f.ex "back in the box" or to "the city of heroes".

I think it's more simple than that. You can't say "kill" or "die" on children's television, and Erfworld was designed to be a child-friendly game.

No, that sounds completely foregin to me. ;)

greyknight wrote:
    Seems thoroughly unlikely since Stupidworld has basically identical beliefs attached to the word "dead".

Nah, that sounds stupid, like calling Dwagons something weird like "Dragons". :P

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:46 pm 
    Sounds about right. My son the other day thought "dead" was a bad word, after getting in trouble for saying he wanted someone dead. Hopefully I made the difference clear enough. He still doesn't have his R's down and they come out like W's. I think in Erfworld the word Dwagon has a clear W sound more than a child pronouncing Dragon like Duagon. I can see Parson getting annoyed by all the munchkin child talk and puns at first.

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:53 pm 
    This user is a Tool! This user got funny with a rodent Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    dwp222 wrote:
    So "dead" is a swear word.

No, "dead" is blasphemy.

Caesar is an educated Vamp. He's had his boss quoting at him from scripture a lot. He gets the quotes. He's read holy stuff, and he knows unholy stuff when he hears it. Nobody else is really bothered by these words, but Caesar.

And he's been told that Parson is back from the land of heroes - from beyond the grave. Then Parson keeps coming out with these unholy words which you can only pick up if you've been on the 'outside'.

I wonder if there's a master list somewhere of words you can't say, and Caesar's read it, or if he's just really attuned to what is allowed and what isn't. But it's the Outside, and therefore Blasphemy, rubbing him up the wrong way.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:08 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit
    Jorbun wrote:
    Has anyone suggested before that maybe Jojo is playing a game nobody else, even Roger, is even aware of? It's so easy to believe he's only working for Charlie that I've been starting to think there must be more to it than that.

It's very possible that the Carnies as a whole are playing a different game than the rest of Erfworld since it seems that every discipline has some crazy powerful magic behind them that no one else knows about (even if they think they do.)

In Jojo's specific case, I'm more of the opinion that's he's just doubled-down on the 'job' that Charlie's given him. He's there to incite anti-Parson opinions and deflect the mob mentality away from Charlie.

Of course, since Carnymancy is the magic of belief and Carnymancers tend to cast on themselves... The best way to fool an audience is to fool yourself after all.

Doubly so since he linked up with Roger to create Roger's mental garden. What did Jojo learn/half learn from that link up and could he be doing something similar to himself to fool Charlie?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:22 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Chiu ChunLing wrote:
    That fits with it being an accepted theorem which can be treated as a premise for further deduction. That would apply to results of a solved Decision space as well as direct observation.

Yes, if it's a general input box, the input in question could reasonably be from a Decision-space resolved elsewhere (sort of like a hyperlink), as well as direct observation.

Quote:
    I'm pretty sure that there is a definite connection there, though, it's just partly obscured by the text bubble for the MK conversation.

Yes, there's a junction behind the caster conversation box with a line that goes off behind Buck's dialogue box. I can't tell if it ends there, junctions with the line coming from the decision about Parson's aside to Maggie, hits the junction on the other side, or some combination. My guess would be that there's a junction there that feeds into the mesh where Roger decides to tell Parson that the Temple was destroyed. However, it's also possible that it's an input feeding into the decision to tell Parson that the attack is general knowledge.

Quote:
    I think obviously the big think Roger is trying to harvest from those four conversation points (and the connection to Parson's waveform band) is whether Parson and those with him are actually surprised by learning that the Temple has collapsed.

Certainly, but that would be in the big mesh to the right, I would think, with links to multiple dialogue boxes. There's a lot of stuff going into that--not just Parson's words, but the fact that he's telling Maggie and the others things in asides that, if the attack were a GK move, they'd already know. That might open a Decision-space about whether or not Parson knows that Roger's eavesdropping on audio through the thinkagram, among other things.

I was talking about the little orphan circle in the middle of Parson's band, between his first two dialogue boxes. It really seems to only be connected to the node on that one Parson dialogue box, so it seems that it has to represent an unresolved decision about something Parson just said, but Roger has no other information on. It doesn't connect to the rest of the conversation, and it doesn't connect to Caesar's interjection (so it probably doesn't have to do with Parson's relationship with Caesar or Transylvito). Maybe it's Roger's parallel to Parson's speculation about vulgar/unErfly words functioning as a form of Shockamancy, quickly abandoned because it seemed irrelevant.

Or maybe I am--if you'll pardon the expression--overthinking it. We may have already put more thought into this than Rob and Xin. (Though I wouldn't count on it--er, "consider that Decision-space resolved". :D)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:46 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf
    Knott wrote:
    It could be that "Dead" and "Kill" carries with it a strange signamancy that aggravates those words further.

I think it's more rhyme-o-mancy than signamancy, but it could be both.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:53 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user has been published!
    Murasaki wrote:
    Mecharic wrote:
    Anyone else want RVC to enter Transilvito, reach Parson, place his hand on Parson's chest, and then attempt to cut his string only to find he can't? "This usually works." (props to those who get the reference)

"Well, performance issues... is... not uncommon. One out of five..."

edit: Ninja'd

And then Deisaac shows up and beats up Roger, followed by the words "Puny Mind."

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:01 pm 
    Jojo: "He would never do that! He's a friend to us all. Charlie is innocent!"

You know, coming from a Carnie this just makes Charlie sound guiltier. Which may be the idea: to encourage people to think Charlie's portal is dangerous, so they'll leave it alone.

Pretty clever, if it was done on purpose.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:47 pm 
    Balance wrote:
    I was talking about the little orphan circle in the middle of Parson's band, between his first two dialogue boxes. It really seems to only be connected to the node on that one Parson dialogue box, so it seems that it has to represent an unresolved decision about something Parson just said, but Roger has no other information on. It doesn't connect to the rest of the conversation, and it doesn't connect to Caesar's interjection (so it probably doesn't have to do with Parson's relationship with Caesar or Transylvito). Maybe it's Roger's parallel to Parson's speculation about vulgar/unErfly words functioning as a form of Shockamancy, quickly abandoned because it seemed irrelevant.
    That's the one that I thought would be Roger paying attention to the extra waveform we see on Parson's band. I think that is suggestive of audio at least, given that RVC has a connection to Ben's reaction to the news that the GMTTA have been wiped out. I suspect it also allows analysis of Parson's emotional state.

I'm far from sure that RVC will relent his plan to send Parson back with the scroll of GTFO, just because Charlie's more likely to be responsible for the elimination of the GMTTA. After all, RVC has other issues with Parson. But it did apparently modify RVC's plan insofar as asking permission to enter TV.

I do think it's interesting that Caesar is the only person to ever call Parson on the swearing, it's also interesting that "dead" counts. Jillian thought "kill" was vulgar and wrong, but while she compares the term "year" to it her affect is different, she just thinks it is "stupid". I can guess that other GK units would just prefer not to bring it up, especially since Parson has been their CWL a lot of the time. It's interesting that the GMTTA never mentioned it, though. On the other hand I don't believe they provoked Parson into swearing a lot (I doubt Parson would swear around Janis much at all).

Shows for very young children may dance around the word "death" in some nations because children at a certain age may not really understand what it means without having one of those conversations that parents would rather put off till later, but it's a culture specific thing. So is all profanity/obscenity, though.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:13 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Mecharic wrote:
    Anyone else want RVC to enter Transilvito, reach Parson, place his hand on Parson's chest, and then attempt to cut his string only to find he can't? "This usually works." (props to those who get the reference)

Performance anxiety. Happens to the best of us!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:04 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user has been published! Mined 4 Erf
    AOL: NOT FOR HONOR
    zbeeblebrox wrote:
    kaylasdad99 wrote:
    Does everyone think that Roger has the ability to scry the people with Parson, and pick up on what they're saying? 'Cos I'm not so sure.

We are actually shown explicitly on this page that Roger can hear Parson's other conversations, because one of RVC's decision tree nodes is glommed onto Maggie's word bubble. He couldn't take it into consideration if he couldn't hear it.

[edit]Actually, you can make a lot of inferences about this conversation based on which word bubbles Maggie and RVC choose to include in their decision trees. RVC completely ignores Caesar, but Maggie links to each one of his interjections, but RVC does note Ben's comment. And the only thing both casters' decision trees have in common is the sentence "Maggie, Roger says a bomb went off at the temple." after Parson gets clearance from Clarence to let them know what happened.

Caesar's bubbles are connected to the lines, too.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:45 pm 
    I just imagine this:
    ¿¿¿What if all those Great Minds blown by Charlie got decrypted by Wanda???
    Probably We will not see that... but it would be a complete gamechanger event.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:44 am 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Re: colors ... you guys are reading too far into it. These are simply the primary colors of these characters' art palette. In order to have a consistent theme across the comic you have to define a character in a number of ways, their color palette being one.

If you go back and look at earlier pages in these books you'll see that red is used as an accent color for Caesar (pendant, eyes), grey for Maggie (hair, clothes), orange for Parson (clothes), teal for Ben (clothes). I don't remember seeing RVC with purple but it might be there. Or they might have just picked another color for him that wasn't already in use on this page.

The red waves in Parson's line could represent something (sound waves, or emotions) but could also just be an artist's attempt to add something to the page to keep it interesting.

Re: RVC knowing Parson's in TV - notice that this update brings us into a conversation already in progress. For all we know this might have been discussed.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions