Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post subject: Re: Book 3 - Page 197
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:11 am 
Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
Bobfromjanitorial wrote:
People keep saying Ace played the whole Claud scene wrong, but it seems to be bearing unexpected fruit.

The recurring theme seems to be "People acting on information that is incomplete, incorrect, or falsified".

It all starts with Parson going through a portal without knowing where he's going.

Bonnie hasn't ratted out Ivan or Claud to anyone other than Ace. But they think they've been sold out to the great minds, and are going to act accordingly and most likely seal their own fate.

Parson told Don that Charlie is a fallen Titan, which is either falsified, incorrect or incomplete information.
The bracer told Don that FAQ is likely to attack them soon, which is incorrect.
But Don is handling his negotiations, and the very future of his side on this information.

Charlie lacks much of the information he normally has and seems to be floundering in the dark.

It's like a weird shell game.
Figure out which one has the truth under it, win the game.

Bonnie disclosed everything she had on CC and so the GMTTA already know how guilty Ivan is. Ivan just isn't up to the chopping block yet.

And no reason why they couldn't go to FAQ as Jillian is working with Charlie flat out and it is now "Known" and so the RCC could very well dissolve over this and so FAQ will be without allies other than CC. So picking up a few more CC caster agents shouldn't be an issue if Charlie keeps flipping the bill.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:31 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    "Reckon' we better get to getting'"

Is this an idiom? Or a jargon thing? Could please anybody tell me the meaning of this?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:43 am 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    WarFAN wrote:

Is this an idiom? Or a jargon thing? Could please anybody tell me the meaning of this?

He's supposed to be speaking with the same vague southern/texan sort of accent as the Engineer from Team Fortress 2 - what he's saying is "I think we should get out of here."

• Tipped by 3 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:55 am 
    Really interesting contrast between how nice the rooms are built, and how trashed the common room is at the moment. Since cleansing is Natural Dirtamancy, I wonder if they've just arranged for the room to completely clean itself at turn's start, so they don't care about how much they mess it up?

I wonder can Claud just repatriate Ivan by stacking with him? If they run now the neutral folks in the Quorum are going to start looking a lot more dubiously at Charlie's side of the story.

With Ace just having visited him, I wonder will Claud try to escape to Jetstone with an offer to turn? Jetstone seems to have built their strategy around Dollamancy. There was a big thing in Ace's backstory that they were going to have to change their strategy until he popped. Now they're in that situation again, and they'd be pretty happy to have a Dollamancer just asking to join. Claud might be reminded of their current situation by having talked to Ace.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:00 am 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool This user has been published! This user got funny with a rodent Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    vivalakevolution wrote:
    It's the prisoner outfit, the collar really shrunk the neck.

If Ivan is like his visual inspiration, then his neck can probably lengthen or shorten at will.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:08 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    At least no one put Baby in a corner. So I take it that she casts by dancing then?

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:17 am 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary This user is a Tool! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    DivineDragoonKain wrote:
    WarFAN wrote:

He's supposed to be speaking with the same vague southern/texan sort of accent as the Engineer from Team Fortress 2 - what he's saying is "I think we should get out of here."

Slightly more explination here.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:11 am 
    If I were in Ivan's shoes, I wouldn't fancy living in a bunker (plus he needs income), and the MK is the safest place from Charlie, so I wouldn't hire out to any side either.

I'd either consider undoing the portal cheat to erase evidence (laying the blame on Parson who's known to find portal workarounds) or apply for a leniency programme as a key witness against Charlie.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:50 am 
    Hey there folks, first time poster long time lurker.
    My love for wordplay brought me out of lurking.

Sixty wrote:
    Not only is Ivan missing his hair, his neck is a lot shorter than in the update we were introduced to him. http://archives.erfworld.com/Book%203/138

That's because he is no longer sticking his neck out for Charlie, figuratively and literally.

• Tipped by 8 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:33 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Brother Mirtillo wrote:
    ...unless you count the fact that they're comfortable leaving money lying around, but that could just as easily mean that they don't care about their savings.

It's only coin, which can be fabricated and therefore would have no value to Stuffamancers. Real money is gems or has no physical form.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:33 am 
    youngstormlord wrote:
    Wait, is that Marion from Indiana Jones?

I don't think so. I can't find a picture of her wearing a red scarf.
    Who is the fat guy passed out on the couch? For a second, I was trying to figure out what Parson was doing there.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:31 am 
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    Brother Mirtillo wrote:
    But then again, Parson wasn't messing with G-Strings. I would agree that the Thinkamancers get upset about combining their magic with someone who wants to change the medium of Thinkamancy. Now that I think about it, that's a heckuva double standard. It's like the Thinkamancers have no problem pushing the boundaries of everybody else's spells, but they get all twitchy if anybody else starts tinkering with their own boundaries.

Not a double standard. The GMTTA are not forcing anyone into links; those who don't want "the boundaries of their spells" pushed won't. Erfworld as a whole is fairly conservative, most people there want to stick to their number and their own business unless they feel threatened, like Thinkers by Charlie.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:33 am 
    This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Polvane the eraser wrote:
    The free Dirtamancers look awfully sleazy. Not what I was expecting. Are they all angsting over having lost their sides?

Livin like Rock Stars.
    Quote:
    It's easy to see why Janis was so annoyed when you compare Ivan's cell with the broom closet Wanda was stuffed into.

He's not even confined to cell. He only needs to get in his cell when he has visitors.

Quote:
    Beyond that, I have to wonder who designed the Dirtamansion. It's incredibly ornate, to the point of looking like Jetstone had it built. Nobody currently staying there looks like they'd design such a building though, I'd expect more of a "college dorm meets dive bar" look from these guys.

Not college kids. Rockstars. They have all the best that money can buy. But they don't respect it since it came easy. Imagine fine china treated like disposable paper plates.

Quote:
    No, Charlie being a Titan was a throwaway lie that Parson came up with. Unfortunately, Don fell for it, hard.
    He didn't fall for it at all. He said in the next scene he didn't believe it. Now with Charlie claiming to have Titanic magic, it might start to sway him to the "fallen titan, but still not a titan" theory.

Quote:
    ...unless you count the fact that they're comfortable leaving money lying around, but that could just as easily mean that they don't care about their savings.

Another Rock Star party reference. Thousands of dollars just lying around on tables at parties.

Last edited by Infidel on Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:54 am, edited 5 times in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:39 am 
    Chef Lurker wrote:
    Not at all. I'm suggesting the rifles don't work right because they are missing a Carnymancy element. What if the wrench can provide that? Oh, I'll grant you, it may not be as simple as just having Ivan and Claude link up. I mean, for that they'd need...a Thinkamancer, wouldn't they? ;)

The wrench can help with a dirt/carny stuff, however rifles need doll/carny. It's hard to tell if you can separate out the magical elements in a permanent item like that, but I'd guess "no."

Most of the multidiscipline items have been scrolls that are one and done, so can be ignored. Ace and Isaac did a Look/Doll item for scouting, the camera. But while a permanent item, the camera is different from the wrench (Bonnie calls it a scepter). Wanda uses various staves to enhance her magic, Sizemore has his shovel, Olive her chillax, Jack even has the 8-ball cane, but we rarely see him casting overtly so it's hard to tell. What does all that mean? Most wizard staffs are generic buffers, but you can get a discipline specific one that lets you do more in your discipline but gives nothing outside of it.
    Also, I don't know how much control Charlie keeps in his links. I can't imagine him letting a dirt/carny item go free if someone else could use it to create auto-special rifles.

NoteToUrist wrote:
    if they do escape this turn, ERF's natural predictamancy says they can't go to :tv:, :faq:, or :jetstone:, their turn already started and barbarians move at dawn

EDIT: and I immediatly realize that travel via magic kingdom happens in realtime.

Technically all sides get move at dawn, unless they're going to have an encounter with a side that has a turn before them. So Charlie could be sitting in his tower wondering why his turn hasn't started yet, not realizing it's because 2 barbarians are about to waltz through his portal.

Quote:
    Not college kids. Rockstars. They have all the best that money can buy. But they don't respect it since it came easy.

Money for nothing, chicks for free.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:42 am 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Maybe there's a pawn gambit I'm not seeing yet. By definition, you only learn about those the hard way. Charlie, Book 3 Page 112

Seems like Charlie himself is trying a gambit with two of his own pawns now; unfortunately for him his pawns have no intention to move to a square where they may be capped in order to advance his masterplan. At least not with a guarantee that they won't be covered by a rook, knight or bishop.

Its interesting to see the result from Parson and Charlie management styles being total opposites though. Charlie will gladly sacrifice his own units to save a plan, whereas Parson will gladly sacrifice a plan to save units. And it shows:

• Bogroll died saving Parson (And GK) by taking down Ansom in book 1.
    • Maggie "betrayed" the thinkamancers to provide Parson with intel.
    • Jack suffered alongside with Parson in the jail cell without breaking or turning.

And what result did Charlie invoke? Two casters who will bolt on him at the first sign of trouble, despite his extravagant smucker payments. I'm certain Maggie, Sizemore, Jack or Ace would have stuck with Parson in the same situation if he just asked them. Charlie should take a break from hunting Parson and the bracer, and see if Charlescomm popped a library book titled "Erfworld: A primer on Loyalty stat's value, usage and management in non-archon units".

• Tipped by 6 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:10 am 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    aquileia wrote:
    If I were in Ivan's shoes, I wouldn't fancy living in a bunker (plus he needs income), and the MK is the safest place from Charlie, so I wouldn't hire out to any side either.

Hey, welcome to the forums!

I will point out that Ivan is in a position to know that the MK is absolutely not safe from Charlie.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:22 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user got funny with a rodent Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    Gildomar wrote:
    At least no one put Baby in a corner. So I take it that she casts by dancing then?

I'd say that's a good possibility. A bit of rhyme-o-mancy augmentation... Also pretty good chance she can lead a golem dance-fight.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins This user got funny with a rodent Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Probably been pointed out but about to go out so i haven't had chance to read the thread. But does anyone else find it telling about caster loyalty within their own discipline that the cell wanda had when she was i the dirtmancers care was way worse than Ivan's...

Not sure what it says beyond that but interesting in the extreme.

p.s. i'd guess his "cell" is his normal quarters. He's under house arrest in effect.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Corrupt User wrote:
    What does this have to do with Carnymancy? The Trolley Problem is the very core of Carnymancy. Carnies "make trades" by doing the magical equivalent of shoving fat guys off of bridges to save 5 others.

I don't see any evidence of this. From what we learned in the Duke Forecastle story, what you are describing is Luckamancy, which "steals" Numbers from one place to use in a different place.

We don't know the whole story of Carnymancy yet, but what we learned from Dove Barstool is that it allows you to break a rule, temporarily. There's nothing to indicate that breaking one rule strengthens another rule, or any other kind of karmic retribution like there is with Luckamancy.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:48 am 
    DivineDragoonKain wrote:
    WarFAN wrote:

Eh, it's more like "it's time to take action". It doesn't necessarily refer to leaving, just to getting moving on whatever it is that you're planning to do.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions