Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:48 pm 
Knight13 wrote:
Slately threw an army at Stanley, led by his own son, just because he didn't like how Stanley came to power.

Now, in fairness, we have been told that GK was running around attacking sides with no rhyme or reason (conquest, finding other Arkentools), including (we presume) Jetstone. That was the main provocation for assembling the RCC1. If Stanley had been somewhat subtle about being a non-royal Overlord (like Charlie), he'd have a better chance.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:51 pm 
    Quote:
    This is precisely why we don't like Slately, he's the epitome of all the snobby Royalism we've been seeing up until now.

I think the part I like best about Jetstone is that it can be sympathized with in spite of its prejudices. Jetstone's Royalty may frown heavily on anything that isn't "Royal" in nature, but it also stands for honor, chivalry, etc. When you think about it, Gobwin Knob is just as prejudiced without all the rituals and etiquette. It deems royalty obsolete and then goes out conquering sides to prove it's right. Among Gobwin Knob's leaders (Stanley, Wanda, and Parson), only Parson is somebody you'd want to be around.

So, yeah, even if Jetstone's hung up about royalty, at least it's a lot more honest in how it works.

Quote:
    He judges Jillian based on her table manners, nevermind that table manners are an irrelevant bit of ettiquette that have nothing to do with how good a ruler someone is.

He doesn't deny that Jillian is an asset. He doesn't deny that Gobwin Knob is powerful, despite not having any Royalty in it.

But yeah, he looks down a lot on her. Mainly because she really is a Royal In Name Only. She doesn't act like a Royal, or put any particular stock in its beliefs, but she's dancing anyways because she's got a personal vendetta going. As far as his ideology goes: if somebody's supposedly got a titanic mandate, maybe they should ACT like it. Quote Ossomer, "Perhaps they prefer the cowardice of Stanley, the conniving of Charlie. Or the cruelty of the one you follow."

Quote:
    Also, every ruler in Erfworld puts their own interests over the lives of their subjects. Slately threw an army at Stanley, led by his own son, just because he didn't like how Stanley came to power.

How is that attitude particular to Slately? Erfworld in general is a battle between rulers backed up by the power their sides provide them.

Quote:
    Hey, Slately, if you believe that Royals are superior, but making that view consistent with what you observe in the world forces you to categorize all of the Kings and Queens you know as "Royals In Name Only", perhaps you should reconsider your premise.

Slately only mentions the sides that are fighting right now. Sofa King, FoxMUD, the late Unaroyal and Hobbittm would likely fit in with his view of what Royalty should be like. There are also probably a number of other unnamed Royal sides that we aren't aware of yet, like Haggar. Just because the only sides that are currently in a position to help him (probably because the aforementioned sides are also still nursing their wounds from the Battle for Gobwin Knob, and other sides would be too far away to help) doesn't mean there's an outright absence of sides that are "True Royals".

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:58 pm 
    Miasmark wrote:
    Quote:
    These Royals In Name Only

Odd capitalization make me think this is a reference to something. acronym: TRINO RINO?

He's useing it as a title.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:01 pm 
    Ninjaguineapig wrote:
    Unlike the rest of you, this incredible update has catapulted Slately from some irrelevant-and-soon-to-be-decrypted guy to my Top5 list of Erfers, along with Sizemore, Stanley, Ansom and Caesar.

Agreed

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:02 pm 
    theseus2x wrote:
    Knight13 wrote:
    Slately threw an army at Stanley, led by his own son, just because he didn't like how Stanley came to power.

Now, in fairness, we have been told that GK was running around attacking sides with no rhyme or reason (conquest, finding other Arkentools), including (we presume) Jetstone. That was the main provocation for assembling the RCC1. If Stanley had been somewhat subtle about being a non-royal Overlord (like Charlie), he'd have a better chance.

http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=/034.jpg

A quote from Vinnie: "What'd he [Stanley] do to Jetstone? Croaked a few field units?... It's the royalty thing isn't it?... You don't like how he came to power."

<INSERT_WITTY_COMMENT_HERE>

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:19 pm 
    Yahoo Messenger: tick_72000@yahoo.com
    Depressing tone, I'm sad now :(

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:23 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary
    I don't want to needlessly muddy the waters here, but Slately wanting royal rule is simply a preference, and everyone is permitted their preference. His preference only takes on a darker tone because it is related to command of a nation. But everyone has an opinion about that, not just the royals.

Parson said 'royalty is obsolete' as a way to rattle Ansom. Parson doesn't have an alternative to royalty prepared. If you think of governments as simply a way to keep most people happy, in spite of the inconveniences and realities of life, then Parson is the worst person to propose government changes. He doesn't even understand how Erfworld works that well.

I realize we have been relentlessly taught in schools that monarchies are corrupt, and that the French Revolution was the greatest thing ever, but haven't you heard? "The winner writes the history books." Don't be so completely certain that royalty is evil, to the degree that it blinds you to every possibility.

As usual, I'm attempting to be open to every possibility, and not speak in the favor of a particular perspective.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:27 pm 
    Who ever saidf the french revolution was good? Everybody wound up loosing in that.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:30 pm 
    While I accept that most posters here are True Believers, some of us less... engaged... readers may be getting a bit bored with this meandering voyage between comics and text.

It breaks immersion and the narrative drive. How about you skip the jaw jaw and get with the draw draw?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:35 pm 
    Miasmark wrote:
    Quote:
    These Royals In Name Only

Odd capitalization make me think this is a reference to something. acronym: TRINO RINO?

It likely refers to the US Political term "RINO - Republican In Name Only". I'm not as up on the Real Life political views of the author and artist to know if this is meant as anything or not. I know that when I see "(something) In Name Only", I look unfavourably upon the person using the term, and expect that if I use the term, that I'm actively trying to cause a fight with someone. So I'm less likely than ever to hope this King survives, since he uses the term. Not sure if that was the intention or not.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:35 pm 
    He said right now they could only turn a comic out once every five days or so and that fans wanted a little more than that so this was their solution.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:08 pm 
    Year of the Dwagon Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Rogerborg wrote:
    While I accept that most posters here are True Believers, some of us less... engaged... readers may be getting a bit bored with this meandering voyage between comics and text.

It breaks immersion and the narrative drive. How about you skip the jaw jaw and get with the draw draw?

Rob and Xin release comics as fast as they can, even if we did not have the text updates we would still be having to wait the same amount of time between comics... Since Rob writes and Xin illustrates, comic updates are dependent on Xin, Rob however has the time he needs to go ahead and write up these text updates... So the reduction of text updates will have no effect on the comic as the lack of text updates won't help Xin out. That's the downside to fully colored webcomics, they take awhile to do so unless the artist is doing it for a living, updates can be slow. So it is either this or nothing inbetween comics

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:14 pm 
    Not to be down on artists, but I don't think a comic could have evoked the same level of emotion and drama as this text update. I actually want more text updates... (Not a replacement of comic updates, just more text updates per week)

I think we already have 2 text updates a week? That's a good number, but I'm greedy :)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:23 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    I do like the fact that the text updates are showing the various sides preparing or dealing with GK, we have transylvito watching the big game, we have haggar just finding out about ossomer, we have the hinge of the whole thing tipping back and forth with Jillian Zammussels, queen of Faq, all good. I'm slightly surprised we haven't seen a Charlescomm update that isn't through interaction with Jillian or parson...

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:24 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Interesting update. Though I'd like to request that when book 2 is complied into a physical book this update be moved back a bit so it makes a bit more sense chronologically.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:53 pm 
    Oh man am I going to sound stupid.

This update is retrospective by Slately, a flashback induced by Ossomer having fallen, it is the memory of the last hope. At least that is how I read it.

I think the "truth being a monster" is very well done - especially with Slately lamenting the loss of so many precious beliefs that are false. Truth is a monster that should be kept as a close friend and pet. Then it is much less frightening and dangerous.

Slately will not die. He will be among those saved by Jillian, and he will become the surrogate father that allows her to reconcile with her own father. She hates the idea of being royal and he overemphasizes the royalty. They will help each other to normalize their views. She will yell at him and he will defend his dignity.

Tremannis will love it and side with her until she gets carried away, and then he will defend his father, and through it all they will discover what it really means to be born to lead. And we will get to find out with them.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:08 pm 
    Rogerborg wrote:

I like the text updates. They give us a perspective on what's going on with characters other than the ones currently involved in the fighting. There will be a TON more character development in Book 2 than there was in Book 1.

Anyways, truth may be a monster, but if you keep close to it you discover that it's The Monster at the End of the Book.

And if nobody gets that reference, I will feel really stupid.

<INSERT_WITTY_COMMENT_HERE>

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:11 pm 
    Jeivar wrote:
    Hmm. Slately is rather pathetic, and yet has three impressive sons. Funny that.

The mention of a demon has piqued my interest. Just what is a demon in Erfworld. I would have expected it to be just an extraplanar creature, summoned by a castaer and used in combat, since EVERYTHING on Erf has to do with combat. But it seems that demons are something to be loathed, feared and avoided. Perhaps they represent some force that opposes the Titans? Just how does a demon manifest on Erf? And why? What does one do?

Nice doom-n-gloom there. People's darkest hours are indeed in the quiet darkness.

You're reading it too literally. There is no mention of a demon... at least, not in the way you're interpreting it.

Stately is speaking to the beast within himself, (ie: addressing his internal demons).

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:43 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter
    Spot wrote:
    Jeivar wrote:
    Hmm. Slately is rather pathetic, and yet has three impressive sons. Funny that.

The mention of a demon has piqued my interest. Just what is a demon in Erfworld. I would have expected it to be just an extraplanar creature, summoned by a castaer and used in combat, since EVERYTHING on Erf has to do with combat. But it seems that demons are something to be loathed, feared and avoided. Perhaps they represent some force that opposes the Titans? Just how does a demon manifest on Erf? And why? What does one do?

Nice doom-n-gloom there. People's darkest hours are indeed in the quiet darkness.

You're reading it too literally. There is no mention of a demon... at least, not in the way you're interpreting it.

Stately is speaking to the beast within himself, (ie: addressing his internal demons).

Actually, Slately refers to the new Ansom as a demon, "that Demon thing shaped like his lost Ansom". That suggests the word is more metaphorical here, to describe Ansom's essential nature, rather than his physical categorization (since by that standard he is either a human warlord, or else some sort of uncroaked).

Whether or not actual Demons exist in Erfworld, we do not know. (We do know that Daemons exist, they are enemies of Marbits and Elves.) It seems less likely that Slately would make such an analogy if Demons do actually exist, though (since Ansom is not actually such a creature).

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:28 pm 
    I love the text updates, and this one was (like the others) brilliantly written.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions