Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post subject: Re: Book 5 - Prologue 31
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:24 am 
This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
DukeofTuring wrote:
Heathen Power wrote:
Don't know how much it's used throughout the world but in Australia "1/5 or 3/5 of f :jetstone: ck-all" means sweet f <O> ck-all. Not metric or imperial but units of f-all (known to the more refined as bugger-all).
A fifth is also the nickname for the most common unit of liquor, a bottle containing 1/5 of a gallon. "A fifth of what now?" makes me think of someone asking questions while stocking a bar or going on a booze run.

Yeah, a fifth as a measure of alcohol was my first thought as well.

Another thought occurs to me, though. The number 3/5 is significant in American history:

Quote:
Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons.

In other words, black slaves were only counted as 3/5 of a person.

It's a bit of a stretch to apply it to this page, but when I think of the final line of the previous page, there's a certain resonance.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:31 pm 
    This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Unfortunately, there doesn't seem measureable chance that Sugar's creation could have resulted in the library popping copies of Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series:
    Quote:
    A weapon is a device for making your enemy change his mind. The mind was the first and final battleground, the stuff in between was just noise.

On the other hand, much of the series seems the sort of books that Parson Giotti might have read; it's possible he might be able to have some persuasive impact on Sugar.

On yet another hand, the question seems unanswered as to whether Charlie has studied Pratchett's Havelock Vetinari, whose alternative route to survival was not in making friends, but in carefully arranging matters so that all of his many rivals and enemies tended to consider a reality which includes Vetinari as Patrician as slightly better than one which did not.

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:37 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf This user is a Tool! Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Ruler of Erfworld Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Diamonds Suit Pip Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Royal Scepter Supporter Sometimes They Even Fail
    2 things -

1st: the art continues to be GREAT! It's a smart choice that most of this page shows the dialogue coming from the Sugar-idol-heads, so you don't have to worry about the facial expressions on the real Erflings. I think that's the next frontier, though - starting to get the expressions on the people right as they interact with each other. Until then, I'm cool with building the library of 3D modeled characters and THRILLED with the 1x week current update cycle as is. (And thanks for making Noah's arms beefier... :D )

2nd: I think Sugar's problem all boils down to "...Towers enjoy being fought over..."
    https://archives.erfworld.com/Book%203/59
    With Nestly's current MO, Sugar will never be at risk. They really need a Foolamancer now that the Tower peeks over the treeline.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:10 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit
    Since April 1st 1999, 1/5 of Canada is none of it.

• Tipped by 3 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:46 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Diamonds Suit Pip
    The art team is doing a bang up job! Enjoyed the visuals of the new comic.

*Bounce*
    Strength!
    Strength is all,
    strength and might!
    Strength and might, and maybe power!
    They are all.
    strength, might, power, and ruthless efficiency!
    *Bounce*
    So strength isn't all, after all,
    is it?
    *Bounce*
    But strength is strength,
    all else flows from strength,
    nothing has degrees except in degrees of strength,
    in power, in might, in decibels,
    It all returns,
    and flows from,
    strength.
    *Bounce*
    Degrees in levels,
    Not degrees in kinds,
    There are different strengths.
    The gobwin clubs,
    the marbit runs,
    the archon deals
    *Bounce*
    But the club can smash all.
    *Bounce*
    Including the face that holds it.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:58 pm 
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Spades Suit Pip Clubs Suit Pip Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
    Gah!
    My lack of art/history knowledge!

All these items are significant and important, and if I had the slightest clue about the real-world objects they reference, would probably be quite revealing about Sugar and his self-image.

Curse my lack of cultural awareness!
    5 schmuckers to anyone who can tell me what I am looking at.

One thing I find interesting about them is that they are very different.
    The art style of HueHue, and of Jed are both very consistent within the towers - whereas to me these items all look as if they come from different times and cultures. So... Sugar is a mess of different identities and personalities?

Hmmmmmm

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:11 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Arkenhammer Supporter
    Gee, it's like talking to a wall.

Oh, wait.

-The Song of Maybe

• Tipped by 5 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:06 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Erfmover Supporter
    khamul wrote:
    Gah!

All these items are significant and important, and if I had the slightest clue about the real-world objects they reference, would probably be quite revealing about Sugar and his self-image.

The art style of HueHue, and of Jed are both very consistent within the towers - whereas to me these items all look as if they come from different times and cultures. So... Sugar is a mess of different identities and personalities?

Hmmmmmm

Sugar has the personality of a conqueror, so he steals from multiple cultures?

I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:40 pm 
    Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Has collected at least one unit
    Lipkin wrote:
    khamul wrote:
    Gah!

Hmmmmmm

Sugar has the personality of a conqueror, so he steals from multiple cultures?

Each of the Towers has a rap sheet partly based on a specific, distinctive culture. Jed is native Hawaiian, HueHue is Aztec, Shirley is 1950's American. Noah has described Sugar's rap sheet as being "Pentagon talk". Does that mean Sugar's "culture" is "modern US military"? If so, the fact that the US has fought wars and has bases all of the world might help explain Sugar's eclectic selection of artifacts.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:39 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    I like the composition of the last panel. All this ancient art. The poster on the bottom reminds me of cave paintings of Bison/aurochs, but in great condition. Don't know the rest, can't even really make out what the piece in the nook is. An ivory carving? A petroglyph? But I'm glad that Rob and company are making this new voice easy to write. And if the lighting is changing a bit from panel to panel, it is lost to me, but maybe it is a subtle way to enhance the art, to emphasize specific things or to give an illusion of movement. In a world with visual sound effects, movie lighting instead of real lighting does not break my suspension of disbelief.

I wonder, are the temples part of another game? Like in software you can build one game off of another's engine, just never have the code call for features you don't need. Or, more morbidly, did the Titans come to a world that had already been destroyed, and set in motion a new game on the remains? Or, more awesomely, all the players of the last game peaced out and ascended for a better plane of existance. Or became like Titans themselves.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:45 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user is a Tool! This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Has collected at least one unit Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Arkenhammer Supporter
    Sugar's "culture" is more like "Hardboiled Cold War Era TV Show US Military". "Gotta get them commie pinko Reds" etc. Maybe like M.A.S.H. or whatever.

More modern US military is all "multi-spectrum, land-sea-air-space-cyber", global reach, aircraft carriers, drones, intel.
    Heh kinda like Charlie, really.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:00 pm 
    spriteless wrote:
    I wonder, are the temples part of another game? Like in software you can build one game off of another's engine, just never have the code call for features you don't need. Or, more morbidly, did the Titans come to a world that had already been destroyed, and set in motion a new game on the remains? Or, more awesomely, all the players of the last game peaced out and ascended for a better plane of existance. Or became like Titans themselves.

1/0 comic proposed a twist on that last idea. If the universe is cyclic, and people can ascend to Titanhood, then they have already done so. Future versions of Parson, Charlie, and whoever else are up there right now, possibly working to ensure their own ascensions. Or, if they are still fighting, they may be trying to help their respective sides. This yields a new understanding of retconjuration: changing the world on your second time through.

From another direction, Noah says that the temple was "no thing that the Titans had ever intended to stand in the world". This makes me wonder it it was supposed to be somewhere else. Hellabad was described as "a place of infinite wrongness, where everything around you clashed with who you were and what you wanted, a place where you simply did not belong". Given that (Erf) temples are always the opposite of their rulers, I can see a similarity. On the other hand, I can also imagine a well-aligned temple in the City of Heroes, watching over the blessed and immediately providing them with anything they want/need.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:03 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day For when you need it most Hearts Suit Pip Spades Suit Pip
    Maybe accidental, but I liked the att'n to detail:

While furiously failing at my Google Image Searches for the items, I noted that Sugah's comment "Whale friends" came from what looks to be scrimshaw, whalebone that has been carved (or colored.)

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:53 pm 
    This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a Tool! Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day For when you need it most Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Diamonds Suit Pip Erfmover Supporter Hearts Suit Pip Royal Scepter Supporter
    infiniplex wrote:
    From another direction, Noah says that the temple was "no thing that the Titans had ever intended to stand in the world".

That makes me feel like the temples are equivalent to DLC. Or maybe fanmade mods?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:33 pm 
    This user is a Tool! IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Clubs Suit Pip For when you need it most Diamonds Suit Pip Shiny Red Star Hearts Suit Pip Spades Suit Pip Erfmover Supporter Arkenhammer Supporter Royal Scepter Supporter Sometimes They Even Fail
    visual echo wrote:
    infiniplex wrote:
    From another direction, Noah says that the temple was "no thing that the Titans had ever intended to stand in the world".

That makes me feel like the temples are equivalent to DLC. Or maybe fanmade mods?

Simple, they are hacks.

The Imperfect Warlord
    Avatar by Noip. Thanks again for that!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:37 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Clubs Suit Pip Hearts Suit Pip Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
    visual echo wrote:
    infiniplex wrote:

DLC's or fan made mods would be something outside of Erfworld, so still an equivalent of titans. They would just be new Titans who create things after the original ones do, and I don't think that's what Noah is referring.

I think we have been given enough information to know how they were created by just using mechanics we have been given previous information about. The Great Minds did the same sort thing to the towers as Wanda's Halfaton team did when trying to create living golems. But towers are able to create life (they pop new units all the time), so once you have a tower golem you can command it to pop life into itself. The Minds created the towers after being inspired by Parson's rule breaking. They didn't just awaken them.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:45 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Clubs Suit Pip Hearts Suit Pip Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
    People have been comparing Sugar to the US military. But Sugar is based on a real old idol. I think we should be thinking in terms of ancient militant like conquerors in history . Such as Sparta, Alexander the Great, Genghis Khan, the romans, Chinese conquerors etc.

Sugar may have an overlapping personality profile with someone like Julius Caesar who took a smaller nation and made it bigger.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:39 am 
    Has collected at least one unit
    Coming into a situation without understanding it and wanting to change it is a bad idea. Also, I think side N is doing rather well and seems to have deep reasources, so long as the apple cart remains upright.

I'm fascinated by the idea that the towers, sorry, TEMPLES, are the oposites of their leaders. Billing a lack in them.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:35 am 
    This user is a Tool! This user got funny with a rodent Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    infiniplex wrote:
    spriteless wrote:

1/0 comic proposed a twist on that last idea. If the universe is cyclic, and people can ascend to Titanhood, then they have already done so. Future versions of Parson, Charlie, and whoever else are up there right now, possibly working to ensure their own ascensions. Or, if they are still fighting, they may be trying to help their respective sides. This yields a new understanding of retconjuration: changing the world on your second time through.

From another direction, Noah says that the temple was "no thing that the Titans had ever intended to stand in the world". This makes me wonder it it was supposed to be somewhere else. Hellabad was described as "a place of infinite wrongness, where everything around you clashed with who you were and what you wanted, a place where you simply did not belong". Given that (Erf) temples are always the opposite of their rulers, I can see a similarity. On the other hand, I can also imagine a well-aligned temple in the City of Heroes, watching over the blessed and immediately providing them with anything they want/need.

So you could say that with all of the temples awakening we're looking at Hellabad on Erf?

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:13 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    paskal wrote:
    Jaxad0127 wrote:

Given that one of the sides that would be most interested in owning Nestleý's capital site is Charlsecomm, that MK civil war isn't too far fetched.

Also remember the lonesome Archon who was observing something important in the woods. Did we ever told what it was or can I assume it is Nestly

When was the archon?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions