Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions

Post subject: Re: Book 5 - Prelude 3
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:27 am 
This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Mined 4 Erf This user got funny with a rodent Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
Rob, your writing is amazing. Engaging and...picturesque? In this update, especially so. This morning, when I was reading this update hunched in a clattering tram, I was reminded of Jack London's stories I read recently. Just wanted to let you know in case you follow this topic :-)

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post subject: Re: Book 5 - Prologue 3
     Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:05 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf
    Leon DK wrote:
    elecampane wrote:
    Lipkin wrote:
    I'm guessing the warlord was Parson falling through the sky into Jed's head. Also, I'm guessing Noah's last name is something like "Lot" or "Secret."

I for some reason assumed from the go that his last name is Fence. Because Noah Fence is a good name for a gentle non-offensive hippiemancer.

It could be also how the small side continues to exist: Grand Abby probably can use flower power just like Olive Branch, stopping any offense by neighbors. But my bet's still that they're on a secluded island, Noah's thirst to know what's happening in the world kind of points to it.

Also would like to point out that the side is called Nestlý, and Nestlé's crest (logo) is a bird in a nest.

Being named Fence would also mesh well with him being a keeper of a balanced nature reserve on the island, culling the old boar and sating the jaguar without giving up the rarer type of bird.
    And being fenced in on a nearly deserted island, in case the golem hits the fan in the MK.

If his name is Noah Fence, and he is an old guy with a white beard, and he lives on a secluded jungle island that serves as a sanctuary for wild critters, and he is "sparing no expense" with the see bird...

I expect his tower to get turned into an incredibly tall spire. Almost like a tall cane. With a huge globe of amber at the top that houses a gigantic talking mosquito. And this will be a big security risk for Noah not only because it makes his tiny city exceptionally visible, but also because the tower transformation will cause breaches in his fencing. Don't want that Pi-rex or the Falafel Raptors to escape...

Edit: Spelling.

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:29 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf
    Definitely, Bird is the Word XD

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:54 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    maestoso wrote:
    The art here is beautiful. I imagined something more akin to an albatross than ... whatever that is. But, the fire, the sunset, oh my. I think this is the first piece of art in the comic that's actually inspired me to post about it! Bravo!

Its signamancy is that of a white-tailed tropicbird, which does indeed lay a single egg at a time. From the article, fishermen watched the birds to find schools of fish, and ancient islanders believed that if the bird called over a home, it was an omen. It seems a reasonable bird to associate with both lookamancy and signamancy, particularly on a remote island.

In large cities, of course, I would expect a very different signamancy bird: the omen pigeon.

• Tipped by 5 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:04 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! This user has been published! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    tigranes wrote:
    The signamancy strongly suggests John Muir, early 20th century American naturalist.

I wouldn't have made the connection myself, but I agree.

And I've enjoyed a lot of people's ideas about names, too. Other than the few people posting only what others already have, this thread is a good example of why I like to read the forums. Y'all are awesome.

Also, Vendanna has an open contest running for which these can be submissions!

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:06 pm 
    Bandaid wrote:
    Josiahb wrote:
    Bandaid wrote:
    Though with only one city at level 1 the income should not be sufficient to house many escaped casters.

Surely that's an easy answer? In the event the hippiemancers have to use it they'll be bringing whatever they can carry with them including (presumably) enough schmuckers to a) pay their own upkeep and b) fund the leveling up of the city to a point where it can sustain them.

They might plan on doing that but emergency evacuations have a tendency to be quite chaotic. Every caster who makes it can easily bring whatever Shmuckers he or she has in his or her purse but getting to (theoretical) gem reserves might be difficult.

Also, the Hippiemancers are quite charitable. They might not have much money on hand.
    And if they actually have a decent surplus, why did they not invest it into upgrading their city? It would provide a steady income which would pay the investment eventually, no matter how high it was. (Speaking against a surplus would be the fact that casters routinely disband at the small pier). The only argument I saw so far which made sense to me was that upgrading the city might make hiding it more difficult, if it is indeed a bubble side.

Any gem stash should already be in this city.

A potential scenario... Let's name the side InsurancePolicy or HippieHaven, or BoltHole or... Nestly

Find a landlocked capital site in the middle of a remote small island
        Cannot be directly attacked (or even seen) from ships (not adjacent to the water)
          Ships would need to put ashore a landing party and attack overland

Avoid detection as much as possible for as long as possible
        Keep it small (level 1) - Small tower, minimalist buildings, less visible to a passing ship
        Use Signamantic camouflage to help hide the city
        Surround it with jungle overgrowth to cut down visibility
        Surround it with ferals to discourage scouts and explorers

Build up a gem store here for an emergency...

When the emergency happens...

Many Hippiemancers evacuate to this side via portal

Upgrade the city to level 5 via gems
        More income
        Larger tower bonus for casters (many casters now, so the bonus is worth more)

Defence
        With this many casters you can (hopefully) defend (or hide) yourself
        If you get a Dirtamancer you could place rocks/reefs around the island to make it less approachable by ship
          This place would be like heaven for Sizemore Rockwell.

Upkeep:
        Harvest ferals (Dateamancers)
        Farm (Florists)
        Might Signamancers be capable of foraging?
          Possibly using natural Signamancy to detect what is edible or poisonous in non-farm hexes?

Ken D

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:34 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Shen Hibiki wrote:
    Definitely, Bird is the Word XD

Well, they said that the "Early bird gets the word" no? :v

Two fer one! <- Contest event up until Feb 1st.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:44 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit
    In keeping with the biblical theme, I give you Ecclesiastes 10:20: ;)

"Do not revile the king even in your thoughts, or curse the rich in your bedroom, because a bird in the sky may carry your words, and a bird on the wing may report what you say."

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:46 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user got funny with a rodent
    I may be off-base, but it sounds to me like Noah is the Date-a-mancer and master Signamancer, who reports to a Grand Abbie (I'm guessing this is the referenced Paige).

Although I don't see anything specific when I reread, the first thing that came to mind here was that Noah and Paige were marooned on a deserted isle (both ensuring that no one knew about them and also limiting them to only what they could forage for themselves) that just happened to also be a capital site, but that can't happen if it's actually a side, can it, because EVERY side has a portal, correct?

That, in turn, led me to wonder what being stranded on a deserted island would look like in Erfworld.

It also made me wonder if there are records kept (or 'mancers who individually track) in the MK where each portal goes. If a portal is established but no one comes out or goes in (or no one is seen using the portal), would it be possible that their portal wouldn't be noticed, and thus no one would know the side actually existed?

Beautiful update, no matter the case. Sweet puns, nice imagery, solid art. I hope we get to see their tower awaken.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:04 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter E is for Erfworld Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    A famous passage from Zhuangzi goes:
    Quote:
    Zhuangzi and Huizi were strolling along the bridge over the Hao River. Zhuangzi said, “The minnows swim about so freely, following the openings wherever they take them. Such is the happiness of fish.”

Huizi said, “You are not a fish, so whence do you know the happiness of fish?”

Zhuangzi said, “You are not I, so whence do you know I don’t know the happiness of fish?”

Clearly neither of them was a Date-a-mancer.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:23 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins For when you need it most Diamonds Suit Pip
    Aion wrote:
    And the Word is cron!

No...

Not a cron virus...

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:24 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf
    HighJumper wrote:
    tigranes wrote:
    The signamancy strongly suggests John Muir, early 20th century American naturalist.

I wouldn't have made the connection myself, but I agree.

And I've enjoyed a lot of people's ideas about names, too. Other than the few people posting only what others already have, this thread is a good example of why I like to read the forums. Y'all are awesome.

I agree about the look.

The name Noah Webster has connections to words and signs, even if his appearance doesn't match. But Erfworld names can mix multiple sources.

Maybe Paige is a Signamancer, part of the side or Hippie organization?

I wonder how close Charlie can get to seeing everything the way Noah can.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:52 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day This user is a Tool!
    Well, outside the obvious the only other Noah I can think of is Noah Wilde, the guy who played Tom Mason in Falling Skies (so not really a pun)... and it turns out I misremembered his name since it was actually Noah Wyle.... (it has been a while since I've read his name).

(also found out about Noah Webster whilest I was wiki-ing on Noah Wyle, but someone beat me to it, and I didn't know that Webster's first name was Noah).

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:20 pm 
    Salton is about 5 place names and one company names.

It's "salten winds", if you're seeking to evoke a bird that has been borne aloft by airstreams from the briny sea.

As in the phrase, "Anonymous_167 disturbed the good mood of the Erfworld forums with a typically salten comment."

Yours,
    A. Freshwater Fish.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:21 pm 
    Anomynous 167 wrote:
    Well, outside the obvious the only other Noah I can think of is Noah Wilde, the guy who played Tom Mason in Falling Skies (so not really a pun)... and it turns out I misremembered his name since it was actually Noah Wyle.... (it has been a while since I've read his name).

(also found out about Noah Webster whilest I was wiki-ing on Noah Wyle, but someone beat me to it, and I didn't know that Webster's first name was Noah).

You don't Noah thing AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:43 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary This user is a Tool! Has collected at least one unit Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Oh dear gods the name puns in this sometimes!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:23 am 
    This user is a Tool! IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Clubs Suit Pip For when you need it most Diamonds Suit Pip Shiny Red Star Hearts Suit Pip
    Schattenjaeger wrote:
    Oh dear gods the name puns in this sometimes!

Well, puns are a core element of Erfworld. You could say they are part of the natural laws of physics.
    Also, you should be used to them by now ;) .

The Imperfect Warlord

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:21 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Wow, this was an exceptionally written intro/hook. Lately my reaction has often been, "oh no, not another digression to yet another POV character," but I definitely want to read more about this character and setting.

That just paints a world I want to see more of, all of it.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:31 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day This user is a Tool!
    seanfish wrote:
    Salton is about 5 place names and one company names.

It's "salten winds", if you're seeking to evoke a bird that has been borne aloft by airstreams from the briny sea.

As in the phrase, "Anonymous_167 disturbed the good mood of the Erfworld forums with a typically salten comment."

Yours,
    A. Freshwater Fish.

I backtracked this thread then reread this page 4 times trying to figure out what this "Salton" you referred to was (as no one else referrenced it in this thread). I figured you were referring to Noah's title as ruler of Nestle (and figured that if you're going to change whatever pun Rob made when he transformed sultan to "Solton", then you'd be better off changing "Sultan" to "Sultana").

4 hours later I found out you were correcting Rob's spelling and that the "Salton" you spoke of was not a proper noun.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:33 am 
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user got funny with a rodent This user is a Tool! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Calling it now: I bet Noah is blind and navigates by the numbers around him. The see bird is precious because it allows him to experience "mere lookamancy."

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Reactions