Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Other People's Things » Movies and Television

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:48 pm 
Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
I don't know how many people here are familiar with the cooking animes like Food Wars:Shokugeki No Soma or Yakitate!! Ja-pan, but a while ago I was wondering what genre they should fit into.

For reasons I detailed in a blog entry here, I decided on Science Fiction. I was wondering what you guys thought?

My blog

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:07 pm 
    They are typically a variant of sports anime. Competitive challenges, teamwork, ridiculously amazing techniques and skills, training arcs, and so forth and so on. You can pretty much run down the full list of sports anime tropes and see how cooking shows fit right in.

They are not science fiction, since for the most part everything is quite legitimately real in modern day. 'Fiction' is nowhere near a good starting point for defining science fiction.

Note that sports anime do not have to only apply to field sports (baseball, soccer, bicycling, etc), but may apply to anything which might be described as a competitive sport, including tabletop games like mahjong (ie: Saki), card games like karuta (ie: Chihayafuru), or even band competitions (ie: Sound! Euphonium).

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:50 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Kinematics wrote:
    They are not science fiction, since for the most part everything is quite legitimately real in modern day. 'Fiction' is nowhere near a good starting point for defining science fiction.

Note that sports anime do not have to only apply to field sports (baseball, soccer, bicycling, etc), but may apply to anything which might be described as a competitive sport, including tabletop games like mahjong (ie: Saki), card games like karuta (ie: Chihayafuru), or even band competitions (ie: Sound! Euphonium).

Having a grounding in reality shouldn't exclude something from being science fiction. If we did that, then The Martian (One of my favourite science fiction books btw) gets excluded. Also, it means things set in the not too distant future can lose their science fiction classification if science can replicate them.

My reasoning for science fiction was laid out in the article, but essentially it boils down to 'The specified science is important to the plot'. It's why Star Trek is science fiction, but Star Wars is future fantasy. I'd actually classify Erfworld as science fiction for the same reasons.

Also, if a sports genre is defined by having a competition in it, then you could include Yugioh, Accel World, Btoooom!, Beyblades, Medabots...a decent chunk of anime. That's a bit too broad isn't it?

My blog

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Other People's Things » Movies and Television