Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Your Things » Fiction, Poetry, and Other Writing

Post Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:37 pm 
This user is a Tool! Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
First he was nothing. And then he was something. His polished shoes hit the floor first. His chest and legs formed next. At the same time, black dress pants and a dark purple button down shirt formed around them. His new heart was beating very quickly and he realized that he could see out of his new eyes. He found that he couldn’t seem to breathe no matter how hard he tried. Then something gently brushed the back of his legs.

That did it.

He gasped his first breath and he started to fall forward. His new arms reached out and his descent stopped dead as his cane hit the floor. Loudly. He could hear! He moved past that and wondered what had hit him.

Oh… he thought, my trench coat…

After that first moment of fear, the second feeling of his life was embarrassment. His heart hadn’t calmed down yet. In fact, it felt like it was beating even faster. Not a good start for a caster.

Caster? Right… croakamancer. That’s right… Name? Title? Keeper Wallie Underground.

Then he heard another gasp. This time it didn’t come from him, but from across the room. His head jerked up. TITANS! My poor heart is going to explode!

There. Two figures. Two faces. Both staring right at him. One was grinning up on his left. The other was looking at him in astonishment on his right. His Chief Warlord and his Overlord, respectively. He reflexively averted his gaze. He felt himself shrink under their scrutiny. He had to ignore it. He needed to focus on something else.

Overlord, his mind caught on that word. Overlord of…? That’s right. His side. His side was called Underworks. They had only one city, the level two capital also called Underworks. They were a new side it seemed.

Wallie gripped the top of his cane with both hands, the knuckles going white. He leaned heavily on it and hunched over, trying desperately to lose their attention.

When he glanced back up at them, his Overlord’s face was one of pure hatred. His eyes pierced into Wallie’s and it felt like it blew right through the back of his head. Wallie hadn’t thought it possible to collapse on his cane any more than he already had. Boy was he wrong.

His heart had just started beating. Painfully, but it just started. Wallie waited to collapse further and he was ready to feel the last few beats of his heart. He felt that he would be nothing again VERY soon. A shame, really.

Well, he thought sullenly, I had a good run. At least I had a FEW minutes of life.

End Part 1

Screw you guys, I'm a Polar bear now. Art by my very good friend, Arieann Pentagon.

Old Cyborg pony pic:
Full Image.

Last edited by Thecommander236 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:54 am 
    This user is a Tool! Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    “Welcome!” announced the Chief, still grinning. “Welcome to Und-“

IS THIS SOME KIND OF JOKE?!” screamed the Overlord. Both Wallie and the Chief flinched. The Chief stumbled away from the furious Ruler, holding his left ear.

“Oooowww… Wwwhhhyyy?”

“Please tell me this is some kind of sick joke! Tell me you’re actually a really talented Foolamancer, or even a Carny!”

Wallie turned away, shielding his eyes, cowering before his Lord and Master.

“Underlord, what’s wrong?! That’s our new commander!”

Underlord spun on the bewildered Warlord, “I know exactly what he is, disband it!”

“P-please L-Lord, I don’t understand!” sobbed Wallie. Oh Titans… You’ve made a terrible mistake!

Underlord turned back to his new caster, still livid. “Ooohhh, of course you don’t! What do you understand?! HUH?!” He practically shouted the last word, causing his two commanders to flinch again.

“W-whoa, h-hey,” the Chief stuttered.

“Look at you! You look ridiculous! What, did the Titans also give me a coward!?!” Wallie was shivering now. Underlord was marching over to him. His long blonde hair fell into his eyes and he brushed it away. His icy blue eyes flashed with rage. He looked ready to STRANGLE Wallie.

Please, someone help…

What, are you laughing?! You think I’m being funny?! Do I amuse you!? Whhyy-why I’m going to-

LORD, calm down!” commanded the Chief, chopping hand through the air, punctuating his words. Both Underlord and Wallie froze, stunned. The Chief couldn’t be much older than Wallie. He looked young and green. His blue eyes were framed by his red hair and a dark purple headband that held the strands at bay. Yet, despite his appearance, he was already issuing orders to his Ruler. It seemed to have worked, for the moment. Wallie risked a glance at Underlord.

We’re a new side… He isn’t used to being in charge. Wallie was scared, not stupid.

“Roy, he is a Croakamancer, do you know what that means?”

Chief Roy blinked. “A caster…” he smiled, but that smile quickly faded. “No, but that’s good. Right? We needed a caster…” He looked… uncertain.

Underlord marched over to his warlord, getting into his face. “Any kind of caster, but NOT a Croakamancer,” he said the word like a curse. “They’re vicious. Unholy. They disregard life. They would betray their own men. Kill them or let them die to make puppets out of them!”

Wallie stopped shivering. His head jerked up and he glared at his Ruler. He started to rise up to his full height. It wasn’t the shot at his profession. He knew Croakamancy had potential, but he hadn’t practiced it yet. It wasn’t the remark about life. Wallie didn’t understand the importance of life, but he supposed that if he was afraid to lose his own, then life must be important.

No, it was that one word: “betray”. Underlord questioned his Loyalty.

How DARE he, he thought.

“Do you have any idea- what?” Underlord stopped when he noticed Roy was no longer looking at him. “What are you looking at?” Underlord asked as he spun around, then he saw his new caster, seemly for the first time. Crouched over as he was, Wallie looked to be as tall as the other two men. Now that he stood up, he was a full head and shoulders taller than either of them.

“My Lord, I would NEVER betray our men. I wouldn’t let them die.” Wallie’s voice was soft, but resolute.

Roy looked at him in amazement and then grinned. Underlord’s jaw was working and he searched Wallie’s eyes. Wallie held his gaze until Underlord glanced away. “So you aren’t a coward,” he muttered.

“What’s your name caster?” Roy asked.

“Keeper Wallie Underground, sir.”

“Well Wallie, we were hoping for a commander to lead in the field. I need to stay in the city to manage it and to coordinate our scouting efforts.”

“Yes,” stated Underlord, regaining his resolve, “and we needed a warlord to keep them alive, Croakamancer. But we got nothing like that, do we?” He took a few steps forward and stared deep into Wallie’s eyes again. Wallie shivered, his heart was still pounding. “But you. You’re all we got. The Titans must be punishing me. What is life to you, Croakamancer?”

“I… I rather not lose mine, Lord.”

Underlord smiled a predatory grin. “Well I don’t care. To me, every one of my soldiers is more valuable than you.” Wallie swallowed. “You will lead them and you will fight.” Underlord started to speak with his teeth clenched and his voice went soft, “if you can’t keep them alive, then you’re gone.”

Underlord started to march out of the room, but he stopped at the door in front of Wallie. Wallie was shivering again, but he still stood tall. “Roy,” Underlord called back, “I’m heading out again. Do the rounds with our new caster. Teach him how to be a warlord. Do what you want with his juice. We’re sending him out tomorrow. I’ll give the scouts their orders this turn.” He gave his commanders a moment to process this. “Dismissed!” and he was out the door.

When the Lord’s footsteps faded away, Wallie let out his held breath and shrank back down to his hunched state. He looked to Roy. The Chief was frowning.

“Like I was saying, Wallie,” Roy stated solemnly, “welcome to Underworks…”

End Part 2

Screw you guys, I'm a Polar bear now. Art by my very good friend, Arieann Pentagon.

Old Cyborg pony pic:
    Full Image.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:21 am 
    "You did well today. I was impressed with how you talked to the troops," said Roy, "they seemed encouraged by your popping."

"They fear me," pointed out Wallie, "I may not have lived long, but I can see it."

Roy stopped walking down the hall and turned to look at the caster. Wallie stopped sheepishly when he failed to notice for another two steps. "Of course they do. You're a commander. They were the same way with me when I first popped."

"Really Lord?" Wallie doubted his word. He saw how Underlord had treated him. Maybe that is how all units see Croakamancers.

"Yes, you have to remember that this units are pretty young. Most haven't seen real combat." Roy started walking again and beckoned Wallie to join him. Wallie thought for a moment.

"Excuse me, Lord, but you're..." Roy looked at him.

"Yes? Go ahead Wallie." Since Wallie met Roy, the man seemed pretty calm and friendly. He thanked the Titans that he had such a Warlord, but everything was just so strange and more than a little scary. He barely knew this man, maybe he would take offense to his questions...

"Well, excuse me for saying so, but you can't be much older than me. You're level 2." Wallie shrank down, waiting to be berated or something.

"Well, I'm not," Roy said earnestly, "I've only been around 20 turns, but I've had to learn fast. We are in a lot of danger here." Wallie gaped at the warlord. Only 20 turns? Again, Wallie was amazed that his chief could give an order to his Overlord. That can't be common for someone so new. The man before him was a prodigy. He started to wonder how he could ever measure up to this man.

"Wait..." His brain had finally caught up with the conversation. "What danger?" Again Roy stopped walking. He sighed and looked at Wallie. He looked... stressed.

"Wallie... I..." he sighed again. "Well, there's no reason to hide it. You realize we are a new side. I felt it too when I popped. Now I don't know the whole story, but..." Wallie leaned forward he was concerned. "Well, something seems to be after out Lord."

Wallie shook his head. "Something?"

"Yes, from what Underlord told me, he used to be a mercenary. The side he served was attacked. From the sound of it, it wasn't even a fight. Just one turn, everyone and every city just seemed to... vanish." The Keeper just looked at Roy. Cities just don't vanish. He was sue of that. The Chief seemed to notice the caster's confusion because he said, "I don't mean literally. That hat our Lord wears is a sending hat. You can receive messages in them. Just, one turn, the reports stopped coming and his boss said all that he felt all his units dying. His employer sent him north to flee the carnage. A turn after he left, the messages stopped altogether. Our Lord fled to this abandoned capital site and built this up."

Wallie couldn't believe what he was hearing. This was even worse than his most pessimistic fears. An unknown force just swallowed up an entire side before reports came through. His imagination went wild with giant units coming and devouring entire plots of land, building, and people whole. When he first saw his Lord look at him, he didn't think he would last much longer, but now he was certain to die a violent death.

(Okay guys, I have boot camp, so I can't really finish this. I really meant to start it up again so long ago and the other day, I made this. I didn't like it. This was not my original intention. But here it is. Something to entice people or something. I don't know. But I hope you enjoy it.)

Old Cyborg pony pic:
    Full Image.

• Tipped by 3 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:07 am 
    The side, being fairly new, lacked Knights. They couldn't even afford them yet. Underlord didn't have that much to go on when he started the side. No gems left according to Roy, but he and his units made sure to always have a full purse. Not that that means much for a level 6 and the 2 flyers and 1 man he had left. Apparently, the other speaking unit to arrive here with Underlord was a scout, a level 3 of all things. Scouts don't level often since they tend to avoid fights, but this one was different somehow. He had a name, but he was just called Underfoot after he fled the ruins of his home side. The only reason he didn't vanish upon its destruction was because he had been seconded to Underlord and had been stacked with him.

That's who they were about to meet in the field. Wallie only knew this because Roy had been keen on telling him all relative details of the current mess they were in. Any little tidbit that Roy could get would be relayed to the senior units. Theories of the encroaching threat were wild and nonsensical given how young and scared everyone was. Underfoot's advice and theories were more reasonable, but he didn't know anything either. He had been a lowly scout, not an intelligence officer.

Wallie stacked up with his units, 3 stabbers, 2 pikers, and 2 archers. A weird combo to be sure, but with no real Intel on the current threat Underlord was coordinating mixed units. While the main threat hadn't been revealed, the local wildlife was proving to be somewhat of a problem. This area had been cut off from the rest of the world for quite some time being in a valley with only one entrance road that had long since collapsed. You had to fly in to the valley. The valley was flooded with an abundance of unchecked wild units that would normally have been foraged upon. On one hand, this was good for upkeep and leveling. On the other, Underworks was losing units it couldn't afford to lose.

Wallie shivered. None of this information boosted his confidence. Roy had stuffed so many details in his head about this whole thing and he wasn't sure if he wanted to cry or hide, but he didn't have time to think about which when he woke up. Underlord relayed orders just before dawn. "Put almost all your magic into Tower defense. Don't be fancy, just dump it in there. Save just enough for a Hoboken or two. You will head south and meet up with Underfoot. You are not authorized to use any magic besides shockamancy. If I hear you using anything besides Shockamancy..." Wallie shivered again. Then he jumped as the gate started to open.

He shook his head and begin to sigh when the horn for start of turn made him flinch again. He hesitated for a moment and looked back at tower. He felt the order from Roy to head off. "Move," he ordered his units as they formed their miniature column. Stabber Underhive lead the way followed by Stabber Terrance Overgrowth. Piker Oversight came next then Archer Mary Overwatch. Wallie followed her. Next was Archer Jen Overwatch who had popped with Mary. Piker Luke Underwood came next. He had taken Roy's name after the warlord saved his life in his first engagement. Finally, Stabber Kyle Overgrowth, Terrance's twin came last.

The stack was as spread out as it could be. According to Roy, this was to counter AoE attacks. The local fauna had a fair few of those and Underlord determined that losing one unit was preferable to losing all the units in a stack. Of course, this was detrimental if the stack engaged in melee as the precious second or two to reinforce a unit may cost a life. At least that's what Roy said. It all flew over Wallie's head. For the life of him, Wallie couldn't see why the column was worth the trouble. It would be better if the units could instantly support each other at least in his mind, but these orders came from the top so he obeyed.

As they crossed the threshold of the gate, Wallie looked back at the Tower and wondered if he would ever see it again. Then he passed through the hex barrier and he was committed to this errand. He sighed again and continued to march. As they went Wallie took in his surroundings. The road they marched upon was old. Upon founding of the city, maintenance must have been conducted auto-magically on the road, but it looked mostly superficial. Cracks and holes were everywhere. Stones were missing and the forest threatened to consume the recently uncovered road again. Wallie wondered if this was significant and determined that he would ask Roy when he got back.

As he pondered this, he realized that they passed into the next hex. He was startled for a second and stopped. "Lord?" asked Jen, "is something wrong?" Wallie shook his head and continued on. Wallie realized that maybe he should be focused on scanning the woods as Roy had suggested, not looking at the roads. Thing was, he didn't know what to look for. All the units in the stack were more experienced than him and were on guard. His eyes wouldn't be much help.

After considering his useless eyes for a bit, he was again surprised when they went through the next hex having failed to notice it approaching again. He stopped again, but this time it was for a different reason. "Halt," he ordered. Everyone stopped and took battle stances and intensified scanning the forest. Wallie ignored this and rose to his full height and stared up into the sky. He closed his eyes and fell away from his body. "Lord, what is it?" asked Jen. Wallie ignored her and felt out with his Croakamancy senses. He felt it as soon as he passed the barrier. Something in this hex had been croaked recently.

Wallie hunched over again. "Something is in the hex with us or was in this hex." Everyone stared into the woods, trying to pick out hostiles. Wallie shook his head as he failed to see besides trees. "Anything? " Wallie asked when he gave up. One by one all units in the stack reported no sightings. Wallie considered heading back, but knew his orders hadn't changed. They needed to meet Underfoot. "Move," he ordered. Thus far, the stack had been mostly quiet except for the occasional small talk. Now the whole column was dead silent. Wallie breathed a sigh of relief when they passed into the next hex and felt nothing croaked here. Then Kyle screamed.

Old Cyborg pony pic:
    Full Image.

Last edited by Thecommander236 on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:00 am 
    Wallie swerved around and looked towards where he heard the scream. Kyle was being being pinned by some sort of wild beast. Wallie rushed forward past Jen, but was stopped by Luke from going forwards.

"What are-" Wallie started to say.

"The border, sir! Don't cross the hex border."

Wallie gaped. Kyle was in the previous hex. How did he not notice? Underlord's orders were to not waste any move going backwards. To do so would mess up the patrol. They were going max distance today. They needed every move they could get. Heading back would waste a move action. The beast must have waited for all of them to pass by and struck at Kyle when he was alone in the hex.

"Darn it! The beasts are catching on!" yelled Piker Oversight. "How could I have missed this?" Oversight, by Roy's accounts was a good fighter. Unusually smart for a Piker, but easily distracted. Given another level or two, he might make warlord. Roy knew all the men and women under his command.

Wallie shook his head. Enough, focus Wallie! He looked to Kyle and tried to make out his condition. Not good. He was down a third of his health. His sword arm was pinned. The beast clawed at his face. It was some kind of four legged animal. Whiskers on its face. A mouth full of razor sharp teeth. Paws bigger than Wallie hands and lined with claws as half long as his fingers. Kyle was trying to fend the beast off with his off hand, but the beast was at least twice his size. The worst part was the distance. Kyle was at least 20 paces away. The pikes couldn't reach.

Wallie flinched as two figures emerged besides him. Mary and Jen rushed forwards and aimed at the Beast with their bows. "D-don't fire! Not til he's clear!" yelled Wallie. He had no leadership bonus with these units on account of being a caster. Roy told him to not expect accurate shooting from these "newbies" he called them. Even at this range, they could easily hit Kyle. In fact, Wallie saw them do just that yesterday doing morning practice with their soft tipped arrows. Wallie shook his head and felt his stomach sink.

One option. The only option Underlord gave me. Wallie stood up straight. He aimed his cane downwards at the Beast. He shook like a leaf, but then Kyle screamed as the beast took him down to half health. Something in Wallie stirred and his hand steadied for a brief second. "SUB BROKEN!" he yelled. It wasn't a clean hit, but it did hit.

The beast roared as it's front left paw was scorched. It lifted it up just enough for Kyle to raise his left hand and strike its side with the sword. The beast roared again and was knocked off Kyle. Kyle started to scramble away from the beast, half crawling, half running. From besides wallie, Mary had clear line of sight and loosed an arrow, the beast flinched away and the arrow missed completely. Kyle got within five paces of the hex border when the beast pounced him again. He was down to a third. His sword went flying off in to the bushes in his hex.

Luke made an attempt and stabbed through the hex border, making sure his hands didn't cross over. The pike barely pentrated and the angle was bad, as the beast reared up, it snapped the handle, but it gave Kyle time. He pulled his knife and slashed at the beast. He made a glancing hit and kicked away from the beast. He made it to two paces, when the beast slammed into him again.

Wallie could see it more clearly now. The head was full of whiskers and had a dark blue pigment to the fur. The back half was different. It was orange and it's hind paws were even larger than the front. Some kind of green, thin wriggled on its behind. Last ditch effort. Wallie grabbed his cane and pulled it apart. Out of the handle came a long, thin sword. He aimed for the head and swung down on the beast and managed to swipe off its ear.

Again, the beast faltered and Kyle pushed his hands through the barrier. Mary and Jen grabbed his hands as Wallie jumped backwards to give them room. He rammed right into Luke and Oversight as he ran up and toppled them both. When Wallie looked back up, Kyle was through the boundary and the beast was clawing at the hex wall, roaring angrily. Wallie was breathing heavily. Panic at what just happened surged through his mind.

"Ti- Titans, are you okay?" blurted out Wallie.

"Y-yeah, boss. Tights this hurts," Kyle wheeze out. Wallie eyes darted across his stats. He was down to 4 hit points. He was at critical health, but there was no bleed and no incapacitation. Wallie sighed. Underneath him, he heard a pair of groans.

"Boss," whined Oversight, "can you get off of us?"

Old Cyborg pony pic:
    Full Image.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Your Things » Fiction, Poetry, and Other Writing