Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:35 am 
Site Admin
This user is a Tool! Battle Crest Pins Supporter E is for Erfworld Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Shiny Red Star This user is a member of Team Erfworld Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
Erflings,

Thanks for being patient with us while we roll out the new site. We are working around the clock to fix any bugs and have been checking the forums for user feedback.

As of now, this is our current priority:
  • Banner Ad Displayed to Toolshed Users - need to remove
  • Site isn't scaling properly
  • CSS Tweaks to improve Post Preview Elements
  • User Comment Posts need improving on both Erfworld Posts and Comic Posts
  • Broken Links in User Page

UPDATES
  • We are aware that the mobile version of the site needs attention. We plan to switch focus to clean up the mobile experience after we get through our list of tweaks for the main view of the site. Feel free to still submit feedback regarding improving the mobile experience.

This list isn't entirely exhaustive, but we will work to keep it up to date to reflect what we are currently working through.

Please also post your feedback in this thread, we will be monitoring it and will be responding.

Thanks!

Brendan

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:11 am 
    This user is a Tool! Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    testing in production ftw!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:43 am 
    Site Admin
    This user is a Tool! Battle Crest Pins Supporter E is for Erfworld Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Shiny Red Star This user is a member of Team Erfworld Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    nulloverride wrote:
    testing in production ftw!

:D

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:52 am 
    This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user posted the comment of the month
    A minor thing that can be addressed over the coming week: I don't think the user created content (fanfics and art) has been properly tagged. Checking off all the streams and only leaving "Fanfiction" reveals only "Shadows of the Evergreen part 13".

So far the "Other" tab has most, but not all of them.

The Artblog, Toolbox, Reviews, and Gamefic tabs are all also empty. :|

Here's my Erfics: Hungry Jungle. -- Completed!

The Overlord's New Clothes -- Two parter, Completed

Unjust Deserts -- Completed!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:28 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    The scaling in pc is alright. But on my tablet the permatweet bar blocks the leftmost half so i can't read even after rotating. The old site displayed perfectly and if they make a mobiles version that would look cluttered on the 10 col machine.I hope they fix it as i usually use that to read the updates.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:33 pm 
    Site Admin
    Lord Viperagyil wrote:
    The scaling in pc is alright. But on my tablet the permatweet bar blocks the leftmost half so i can't read even after rotating. The old site displayed perfectly and if they make a mobiles version that would look cluttered on the 10 col machine.I hope they fix it as i usually use that to read the updates.

Lord Viperagyil,

Once we work through the bugs for the pc version of the website, we will switch focus to improve the mobile experience. We understand the redesign wreaked havoc on the mobile experience. In addition, our future development plans include rethinking the mobile experience of Erfworld. More to follow whenever we get to working out the details.

Thanks,
    Brendan

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:39 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool!
    Does "not scaling properly" include that you can not zoom out more then a little on phones (and presumably tablets)?

Otherwise, add that to the list.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:20 pm 
    This user got funny with a rodent Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Things I dislike:

The site doesn't look right on my Galaxy S7. The site doesn't quite display properly in Windows 10 (stuff's disappearing off to the side or under other stuff or something). Can't zoom on my phone or tablet. At all.

The new layout doesn't have a bar of links at the top to take me straight to the next installment of Shadows of the Evergreen.

On my phone, there are a lot of advertisements in the way. Not so much on the computer. They're in their places there.

The Hamstard link at the top doesn't work.

The forum copyright notice at the bottom is partially off the screen, and I can't read more than the first line. I've tried fitting the window to the screen and zooming out. No effect.

It's brown. Who designed this? Sizemore? It looks like the background has been drawn in poo. It's brown.

You redesigned the site's front end and interface, but left the forums the same. There's a lot of functionality lacking here (which contributes to me using them only infrequently). The forums could have been updated instead of the front end (which wasn't really broken).

Things I like:

It's up. There's a notice to say today's update is coming. That's nice.

I can scroll down for ever (or at least for longer than it takes for me to get bored of scrolling down through the main feed). I like that.

You're accepting feedback.

You might change back to the old layout. That's a heartening thought. I liked the old layout a lot.

Kittens. I really like kittens.

Lists, too. Lists are wonderful.

My Hamstards

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:28 pm 
    This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Not sure if this falls under "scaling", but the ads and permatweets currently overlap content on text-primary pages such as from the Backer Stories and some User Submissions, rendered the text nigh-unreadable.

Perhaps related, comments on the User Submissions don't appear to be readable.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:30 pm 
    The grey text of the Page links and the Thread title in the forum are extremely hard to see against the gold-brown background. For a bit, I had thought the Page links were just gone. Even knowing they're there, it's almost impossible for me to read.

Maybe pick something a bit friendlier for the color-blind?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:40 pm 
    This user has been published! Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    About the blog posts showing tippers name and amount of tip, copy pasted from another thread:

Spruce wrote:
    I'm gonna agree with tomaO2, it gives the impression that you didn't think at all how the tippers are going to feel about making the information suddenly public. I find this decision to be very bad.

You could have just shown the tip total of the post, you could have not shown the names, you could have made an option for the tippers' profile where they can choose if they want their tips shown publicly or you could have made two levels of anonymity where one shows the tippers name just to the blog poster and another would have been totally anonymous and the older non-anonymous tips defaulted to the lower anonymity level.

Possibly most of the tippers don't mind, but I'm on principle against all and every instance where previously private information is made public without any warning on a whim. It is a very effective way to erode trust.

Other stuff:
    The background image is too bright yellow: it distracts from the content of the page, it should be less saturated and maybe a bit darker.

The design and functionality of the page is cleaner and looks more professional than the previous one IMHO, the page should remember the filter options chosen by the user for the different streams but I would imagine it's on the "to do" list. Choosing author of the blog post and seeing his/her posts is easy and it is a nice functionality. How are you going to choose the stream where blogs go, from the tags? They seem to be hidden at the moment.

If you want more and new people to make blog posts, you should make an easy to follow tutorial that would explain the process and make the tutorial easy to find (no use otherwise).

Bugs are bugs and there will always be them, but the site design itself looks very promising thusfar (except the public tipping part).

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:42 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Godzfirefly wrote:
    The grey text of the Page links and the Thread title in the forum are extremely hard to see against the gold-brown background. For a bit, I had thought the Page links were just gone. Even knowing they're there, it's almost impossible for me to read.

Maybe pick something a bit friendlier for the color-blind?

I'm not at all colorblind and it still bothers me a lot. I actually just hopped into this thread to post exactly that; it's pretty irritating having to look so closely for the text. I'm not certain what color would be best without completely clashing with the current layout though...perhaps the same color as the font in the toolbar?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:48 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Lord Viperagyil wrote:

I have sort of the opposite issue (for fanfics). On my tablet (Samsung, Android OS, Firefox browser, fwiw), I can read everything. But on my PC (Windows 7, Firefox browser), the permatweet column blocks the RIGHT side of the content.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:27 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Ruler of Erfworld
    When you later make the post giving the "all clear", you should remember to include instructions on how to force a full refresh in popular browsers. (You got the stats to know exactly what are the most used browsers, you know)

Most lingering formatting issues can be solved with this. F.ex. those who still have an issue with the sidebar on the front page covering the third column should do this to force a cache refresh of the page:

In Firefox its any of the following: Ctrl+Shift+R | Ctrl+F5 | Shift+'Click refresh symbol'

In Chrome and Opera its any of: Shift/Ctrl+F5 | Shift/Ctrl+'Click reload symbol'

In IE/Edge its any of: Ctrl+F5 | Ctrl+'Click refresh symbol'

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:17 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day For when you need it most Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Clubs Suit Pip
    Spruce wrote:
    the page should remember the filter options chosen by the user for the different streams

It's bookmarkable; note that the URL changes as you adjust the filter. And the filter affects the RSS feed too!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:41 am 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Is HTTPS something that's being worked on, or overlooked? Isn't it pretty much free with Let's Encrypt now?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:24 am 
    IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Shiny Red Star
    Since it's starting to look like this was an intentional design choice: Please, please, please make the navbar and copyright notice stay in place and not anchor to the top and bottom of my browser view. It's very obnoxious to clutter the interface like this, and I anticipate visiting and enjoying the site less if it isn't changed. Hell, I don't even see how it's supposed to benefit anyone.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:31 am 
    Jatopian wrote:
    Since it's starting to look like this was an intentional design choice: Please, please, please make the navbar and copyright notice stay in place and not anchor to the top and bottom of my browser view. It's very obnoxious to clutter the interface like this, and I anticipate visiting and enjoying the site less if it isn't changed. Hell, I don't even see how it's supposed to benefit anyone.

At the very least, if we could somehow change the settings to make it stay in place or not depending on preference, that would be good. It doesn't always bug me, but it's really annoying when it covers up the first line of the newest unread post and I have to scroll back up.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:09 pm 
    Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Shiny Red Star Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user posted the comment of the month This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    In some places in the Forums, the font color is very difficult to read against the site background. The thread title, as well as the Page list and navigation at the very bottom of Forum threads, next to the "New Topic" and "Post Reply" buttons.
    I'd suggest changing the color or putting a white background box around them like some other portions of the site.

There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:56 pm 
    This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Can't read whatever the bottom box says because the middle of the letters is the bottom of the window. If I switch to full screen then the bottom third of the letters is off screen.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld