Erfworld Forums
https://forums.erfworld.com/

What is the current update schedule?
https://forums.erfworld.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6473
Page 2 of 2

Author:  C9H20 [ Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:09 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What is the current update schedule?

Any news on why this week's update hasn't showed up?

I found nothing in the news header and I am curious/disappointed.

Author:  Tensor [ Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What is the current update schedule?

frei wrote:
Rob has tried hiring additional artists semirecently, and it didn't work out.

The updates aren't so bad right now. What is it, about once a week or so, alternating book 0 and book 2?

Anyway, the cycle seems to be:

1) the update schedule and/or plot pacing slow down to create a truly painful crawl
2) Rob realizes that it's become too bad and scrambles to get everything back on track
3) he creates a schedule that seems reasonable to us in our ignorance and/or entitlement, but is actually hellaciously stressful on the writer and/or artist, such that if anything at all goes wrong the delays are going to pile up at an ever-increasing rate
4) for a while things are fine
5) something goes wrong
6) goto 1

Maybe we should lower our expectations a bit?


Actually, you forgot...
1.2) someone starts an innocent thread asking what's going on
1.4) that thread goes kinda viral
1.6) people think about posting, and some do, but many are afraid to voice their opinion because...
1.8) Rob gets angry and threatening at individuals and/or the whole group

Author:  Tensor [ Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What is the current update schedule?

Tensor wrote:
frei wrote:
Rob has tried hiring additional artists semirecently, and it didn't work out.

The updates aren't so bad right now. What is it, about once a week or so, alternating book 0 and book 2?

Anyway, the cycle seems to be:

1) the update schedule and/or plot pacing slow down to create a truly painful crawl
2) Rob realizes that it's become too bad and scrambles to get everything back on track
3) he creates a schedule that seems reasonable to us in our ignorance and/or entitlement, but is actually hellaciously stressful on the writer and/or artist, such that if anything at all goes wrong the delays are going to pile up at an ever-increasing rate
4) for a while things are fine
5) something goes wrong
6) goto 1

Maybe we should lower our expectations a bit?


Actually, you forgot...
1.2) someone starts an innocent thread asking what's going on
1.4) that thread goes kinda viral
1.6) people think about posting, and some do, but many are afraid to voice their opinion because...
1.8) Rob gets angry and threatening at individuals and/or the whole group


Now, in reality, this is a better list

1.2) someone starts an innocent thread asking what's going on (BECAUSE THEY GIVE A CRAP ABOUT THE PRODUCT)
1.4) that thread goes kinda viral (BECAUSE THEY GIVE A CRAP ABOUT THE PRODUCT)
1.6) people think about posting, and some do (BECAUSE THEY GIVE A CRAP ABOUT THE PRODUCT), but many are afraid to voice their opinion because...
1.8) Rob gets angry and threatening at individuals and/or the whole group

Author:  frei [ Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What is the current update schedule?

Everyone wants more updates.

But the fact is that it takes somewhere in the vicinity of 7-10 days to produce one. No one, not the creators nor the readers, have any idea how to speed it up, even though all of these people would like to.

You can elaborate and subdivide step 1 all you want, but all evidence suggests that the *real problem is the constraints in step 3*, and no amount of fan complaining will affect that.

I don't think it takes an official announcement to infer what is going on.

Obviously some fan frustration is to be expected from a slowly updating serial, but keep it in context. We have to read and enjoy the actual Erfworld we have, not the hypothetical, fantasy Erfworld that updates 3 times a week and that no one knows how to produce.

[edited for clarity]

Author:  bladestorm [ Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What is the current update schedule?

frei wrote:
Everyone wants more updates.

But the fact is that it takes somewhere in the vicinity of 7-10 days to produce one. No one, not the creators nor the readers, have any idea how to speed it up, even though all of these people would like to.

I don't think it takes an official announcement to infer what is going on.

Obviously some fan frustration is to be expected from a slowly updating serial, but keep it in context. We have to read and enjoy the actual Erfworld we have, not the hypothetical, fantasy Erfworld that updates 3 times a week and that no one knows how to produce.

We need to tri-link a Turnamancer and a Dittomancer. Make clones of Rob and Xin, then increase production on all four units. One set can work on Book 0 and the other set can work on Book 2, each getting two updates a week. Unless the Dittomancy affects the Turnmancy, and in turn is affected by it. We could be seeing an even bigger increase in production. Granted, that wouldn't give us nearly enough time to fully chew apart each and every update like we can now. It might also not give us the proper time to grieve the loss of our more beloved characters when they croak. Whatevs, though. Someone get a message to the MK, and get this link going. Pay double Schucker and Rands if you have to. We'll recoup it with the enhanced Turnamancy.

Author:  Tensor [ Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What is the current update schedule?

frei wrote:
Everyone wants more updates.

Mm, hmm, yes, the sky is blue, yes, yes.

frei wrote:
But the fact is that it takes somewhere in the vicinity of 7-10 days to produce one. No one, not the creators nor the readers, have any idea how to speed it up, even though all of these people would like to.

I takes somewhere in the vicinity of 7-10 days to post one, apparently you know more than us on the actual time it takes to produce it.

frei wrote:
You can elaborate and subdivide step 1 all you want, but all evidence suggests that the *real problem is the constraints in step 3*, and no amount of fan complaining will affect that.

Referencing evidence without identifying it is excellent for making your point. And since you state it, bullet 3 is the only one that is a real problem. I know this because you encompassed it in *'s, which cannot be argued with. The other bullets are completely irrelevant.

frei wrote:
I don't think it takes an official announcement to infer what is going on.

Well, we figured it out three years ago, so you're right.

frei wrote:
Obviously some fan frustration is to be expected from a slowly updating serial, but keep it in context. We have to read and enjoy the actual Erfworld we have, not the hypothetical, fantasy Erfworld that updates 3 times a week and that no one knows how to produce.

You're right again, it's impossible to update something 3 times a week. There's no way anyone, anywhere could possibly keep up that level of schedule. You have convinced me sir.

Author:  drachefly [ Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What is the current update schedule?

Tensor, shut the fuck up.

Author:  frei [ Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:02 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What is the current update schedule?

I don't really feel like digging up the large number of forum/facebook/news posts where Rob has talked about their work process and scheduling problems (my evidence for #3). Generally not really feeling like engaging on this thread anymore

If you really believe that complaining in the manner that you are is the most causally efficacious factor in bringing about more updates, then there's probably nothing I can do to convince you otherwise.

Author:  0beron [ Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What is the current update schedule?

drachefly wrote:
Tensor, shut the fuck up.

*liked and seconded*
I grumble about the update schedule and have my own opinions on both it and how Rob handles this issue, but you (Tensor) are being downright rude and ignoring the one and only forum rule.

Author:  raphfrk [ Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What is the current update schedule?

frei wrote:
I don't really feel like digging up the large number of forum/facebook/news posts where Rob has talked about their work process and scheduling problems (my evidence for #3). Generally not really feeling like engaging on this thread anymore


This is probably the thread you are thinking of?

Author:  C9H20 [ Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What is the current update schedule?

C9H20 wrote:
Any news on why this week's update hasn't showed up?

I found nothing in the news header and I am curious/disappointed.


Anyone?

Author:  Alucinor [ Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What is the current update schedule?

I understand that each strip takes a long time to produce, I'd just like to see a little more consistency. One thing I got from reading that other linked thread is that they're writing/producing the comic literally as it's due. That very seldom works for consistency for a long term - you need to be writing/illustrating the comic that's due next month, while this week's comic has been sitting in the bank.

I'd prefer it if Rob and Xin took the time to bank a month's backlog worth of product and then started publishing them at a rate that they can sustain. That way if they encounter an unexpected delay they have 3 weeks to catch back up; if they hit a series of unexpected delays, they can let us know in advance that there will be a disruption in the schedule, rather than us finding out via 2 weeks of silence.

Author:  drachefly [ Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What is the current update schedule?

In the announcement, Xin revealed that her family has required ever-increasing amounts of her time. Even if they were to calibrate a rate (and they did, earlier) she still wouldn't be able to sustain it under those conditions.

Author:  Sonic Screwdriver [ Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What is the current update schedule?

As much as I appreciated the final results of Xin, here's to hoping Rob finds an artist with a faster output. I don't know if that will help, as wasn't the Inner Peace series supposed to be used as an art-free filler so we get content between pages and the lack of art would allow for no holdups?

Author:  Spruce [ Thu May 02, 2013 7:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What is the current update schedule?

I'm quite happy that Xin leaves as I never liked her illustrations over Jamie's. I think the mistake that she made was trying to draw too realistically for the time and skills she has. Jamie's characters were heavily stylished and his backgrounds often very... minimalistic, but the comic was easy and funny to follow, many of Xin's pages look too cluttered. Don't think that I'm saying shes bad, it's just that the comic format Erfworld uses with many small panels per page doesn't suit her art very well.

I'm just hoping the next illustrator shall use simpler drawings so that the workload won't start weighting him/her down after few months. And make Parson look fat and Parson again.

Page 2 of 2 All times are UTC-04:00
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/