Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld

Post subject: Question for Everyone
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:09 pm 
Okay, this is a bit of an odd question for anyone and everyone. This is based on a recent post in the "What the hell happened to this comic" thread, in which one person seems to have fabricated a statistic.

Would you rather have a faster update schedule, or see Book 1 actually published? What are your opinions on the current update schedule?

I'm a bibliophile, so I'd rather have the physical Book 1.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:46 pm 
    Is there a reason this isn't a poll?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:51 pm 
    I suck with computers, so I didn't really want to try to make a poll... If you can make one in another thread, I'd love that, but I'm also interested in other things, like people's opinions, that are hard to make a poll for.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:38 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    I'm not much of a paper-book person, so updates of course.

I would love a faster update schedule, like 1 a week, but I'm not too miffed, I'll just go back and reread the whole thing once it comes together for the full experience. And I'm not a tool anyway, yet.

Well, what did you do yesterday? Now you know.

Let's all be the kind of people we wish everyone had been then. Show up. Call. Resist.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:45 am 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    AOL: N64PSDCnow
    Probably updates, though getting book 1 out is important.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:40 am 
    Year of the Dwagon Supporter
    Tough question.

The thing with Book 1 is that I would reaaaally like to get my mitts on it. I liked the story, plus, it promised to bring in a few extras; as in, extra pages, fleshing out some characters and moments a bit more. Like, for example, Ansom's death.

Book 2, meanwhile- it's difficult to pin down, but until recently (measured in updates, not real-time :P ) it felt like Book 2 was a story struggling to find a direction. It's ok, it keeps me interested to see what direction it will, eventually, pick, so in a way I should want faster updates.

But, Book 1 exists. It's good. Would be nice to have as a tangible. Book 2 updates can't get much slower without actually starting to retroactively disappear, so Book 1 for me.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:11 pm 
    Faster update, as I don't have the money to buy the books yet.

My opinion is that it's inconsistent and slow. Every other one of the webcomics I read, even ones that have less than ten total fans, has one or more Update Days during a week. I'm sort of hoping we get that text update, or a comic, today, but really, I don't anticipate any actual updates until my birthday, eg, next Tuesday.

Won't stop me from checking it at least eight times during the day.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:33 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    WLM: zilfallon@hotmail.com
    Hard question, and my opinion IS selfish because it is my OPINION.

I prefer to have book 2 updated regulary. I'm not a fan of graphics, aesthetics , images and such. I'm a fan of Erfworld because of it's well written and interesting story. So I don't care if it is in paper-format or in internet.
    Now, I'm no tool, and i've spend absolutely no money on Erfworld, even though i've been following this comic for a long time.
    Before people starts trolling me with lines like "spent no money and still ranting? go away", I want to state that i'm a minor and i'm dependent on my parents to spend money in internet, and i can't do any purchase, subscription or donation they do not want me to.
    I will soon be able to do it, and before book 2 started, i was looking forward for being a Tool, buying the book, and supporting the comic in a way. But now, I don't think I will do it if i'm able, because of the current turn of events which made me believe that Rob isn't taking Erfworld as seriously as before. You may say that he has issues with his life. But this is his job. Do your avarage company boss care much about your issues? Or do your customers? Now, i'm not being "evil" and i'm NOT saying "i don't care about what happens with his life", but real life issues cannot be used as a long-term excuse in business.

Long story short, I'm an impatient little selfish child who cannot wait to learn what happens in story :)

You know... at this point you boops aren't beating dead horses any more. You're making glue.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:08 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Well, with my obvious "update" vote, that places the current score at 6-2, or 75%.

90% is not exactly a gross exaggeration of that, but I'll edit the original rant if you really think posterity is required for angry ranting.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:08 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    zilfallon wrote:
    Do your avarage company boss care much about your issues? Or do your customers? Now, i'm not being "evil" and i'm NOT saying "i don't care about what happens with his life", but real life issues cannot be used as a long-term excuse in business.

If you have real issues (not just self-entitled 'omg my life is so hard' issues), then your boss should care, or they are a terrible boss. A number of other webcomic creators have had issues in the past that prevented updates, and I am perfectly willing to wait a couple weeks if necessary.

From a business perspective, there are two profitable aspects to Erfworld:
    1. Attracting readers
    2. Selling stuff

If we wanted to see how 'economical' Rob and Xin's use of time is, we'd need more data. Revenue side, how much do they make per 1000 visitors (e.g. ads loaded, ads clicked, number of new subscribers)? Cost side, how long does it take to create an update and how much in hosting fees per visitor? That would get you an estimate of net profit per hour if working on updates. Similarly for the book, cost, price, books printed minus books sold to Tools*, and hours spent will give you an estimate of net profit per hour if working on the book. I suspect $/update-hour is much less than $/book-hour, so I don't blame Rob & Xin for spending time on the book.

However, I vote for updates. I like updates.

*You already collected the Tools' money, so from a 'today' perspective you lose the cost of a book each time a Tool buys a book.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:46 pm 
    Has collected at least one unit
    Well, I hate irrational numbers (7/9) so I'll also vote for updates. Yay 80%!

I would argue that there are two sets of upset people:

Those that feel like their toolship should have earned them the update schedule that Rob said he'd be attempting to keep.

Those that mostly like book 1 and want to be able to order the book now so that they can stop being a tool without losing their store bucks.

I actually don't see that many people who are cheesed that book 2 is so late even after they paid for it. This mostly comes up as an afterthought towards the end of tirades.

Given that these are the sticking points, I don't think that the toolship program is the best model. Perhaps toolship benefits could be granted to anyone who either donates money or buys merch for a length of time proportional to the money spent/donated? This way everyone will have gotten what they paid for exactly when they expected it. Also, a "preorder book 1" button would be handy for the 2nd group of people under the current system... if there is a rough guess for the final price.

Toolship quibbles aside, I'm very glad to have parted with 36 of my dollars for a yearlong subscription. Book 1 is awesome. Both the plot and the art that brought it to life. Book 2 has been building slowly, but the battle to come cannot help but be bizarre and epic. I'm also incredibly impressed with the art in Book 2, and it has evolved amazingly in a short time. I've stumbled upon so many moments of refrigerator brilliance while staring at the recent panels... this is to say to the authors, thank you very much for all past and future updates. I question your business model only because a business model seems like the wrong format when you're an institution that runs like a charity... giving us poor beleaguered and bored internet people our daily bread!

Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:34 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Spoils ballot and scribbles ALL of the above.

I expect that I'll get it too. You see, from my perspective Rob is committed to producing this product in both mediums. Do I have to wait? You betcha. Am I going to pay a cent before I can get a hard copy? Not a chance.

Thanks for the comic Rob. It's a great read that I check 8 times a day, sometimes more for. I look forward to purchasing the hard copy when it becomes available but I'm not much interested in the Tool thing.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:33 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    I want the book, considering I've pretty much pre-paid (and more!) for it.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:42 am 
    Toolbreaker wrote:
    Do I have to wait? You betcha. Am I going to pay a cent before I can get a hard copy? Not a chance.

This man is wiser than me. I wish I could go back in time and undo my toolship. Of course, if I could do that, screw the toolship, I'd bring a sports almanac.

And btw, awesome avatar.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:59 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Tensor wrote:
    And btw, awesome avatar.

Thank You. Tried to cheat and see that comic before it was fully released. I really liked the image and message so decided it would make a cool avatar.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:51 am 
    Yahoo Messenger: tick_72000@yahoo.com
    they do a similar thing for OOTS.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld