Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:46 pm 
This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a member of Team Erfworld IRC Quote of the Moment This user got funny with a rodent This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Celebrated Rob and Linda's 1st Clubs Suit Pip Diamonds Suit Pip Hearts Suit Pip Spades Suit Pip
When I was a yoot,
All the yoots would say "w00t"
Because all of us yoots were 1337

But 1337 is not lit
And "w00t" is a yikes
And all of the yoots say "yeet"

So, w00t yeet. Our first make/100 Kickstarter was fire AF, fam. I will stop this at once.

We'll be doing a lot more of these projects, since they solve so many of our problems without creating very many new ones. Look for a new Make/100 weekly. There are a lot of one-off items being modeled for the comic (next will be the Sceptre of Jetstone/Sceptre of Pew), along with the surrounding scene (the Jetstone throne room where Tramennis spoke to Lilith).

The only problem with the Make/100s is that they're limited to 100. Some people who really, really want one of these will get shut out. I've thought of two ways we can help this.

First, I'm going to be launching each project at a randomly chosen time on the 24 hour clock. I don't want your sleep schedule or time zone to keep you from ever getting a chance at a $1 pledge tier. I will announce the project first to backers of previous Make/100 projects, before any other channels.

Second, I'm creating this thread for trades, including pre-survey trades. That is, if you have pledged for an item but haven't filled out your backer survey, you could come to an agreement with somebody to trade them your pledge reward for Shmuckers or gems or units (please not actual cash) and put their username and message into your survey to be put on the model.

So sellers, post here if you have one of the Make/100 items you'd be willing to part with for the right price. Buyers, if you just highkey are ready to throw down some gwop, you can slide into their DMs. 8-) :?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:52 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Ruler of Erfworld This user is a part of Erfworld canon! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day For when you need it most Diamonds Suit Pip Hearts Suit Pip Spades Suit Pip Clubs Suit Pip Erfmover Supporter Arkenhammer Supporter
    Thanks for starting this thread Rob!

I missed out on getting Sizemore's shovel, and I would just love to have that, since I am very much a dirtamancer (they don't call me DigDoug for nothing!)

Anyone who wants to trade their shovel for gems {-- or Shmuckers :shmuckers: , please let me know!

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:37 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day For when you need it most Clubs Suit Pip Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Diamonds Suit Pip Hearts Suit Pip Spades Suit Pip Erfmover Supporter Arkenhammer Supporter
    Dmolla,

I'd be honored to offer you my Erfmover. (Perhaps for a small donation)

@balder: Please don't do that. Or make it canon.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:05 pm 
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Ruler of Erfworld Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day This user is a Tool! Erfmover Supporter Hearts Suit Pip Arkenhammer Supporter Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    I missed out as well, I wouldn't mind trading some smuckers for it.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:40 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf This user got funny with a rodent Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user is a Tool! Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Hearts Suit Pip Spades Suit Pip Erfmover Supporter Diamonds Suit Pip Arkenhammer Supporter
    Make/100 is a cool concept. I wonder if it's the ideal fundraising tool though, for a digital collectible where mass production isn't a problem.

For the current kickstarter, 272 backers raised $6169. Not too shabby.

But if instead of having artificial scarcity of 100 units, if you'd left it unlimited for the duration of the kickstarter and charged a flat, say, $25, 272*25 = $6800. The sum of the first 100 numbers is just $5050, and it's likely that most of the remaining 172 backers that didn't get an erfmover just chipped in a buck or two to get the badge. Maybe they would have paid more if they could have gotten an e-collectible. Maybe you would have gotten more backers overall if they had been able to buy something. If the shovel was a flat $10 or $20 but with no limits, the additional buyers might have offset the lower cost, while still giving you the option to have higher tiers for people willing to spend in the $50-$100+ range.

Maybe I'm way off base here, and you've already done the math and figured out limiting it to 100 units is more optimal. In that case, my apologies. But if not, it might be worth experimenting with a non-limited kickstarter to see how it compares.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:59 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter E is for Erfworld Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Hearts Suit Pip Diamonds Suit Pip Spades Suit Pip Erfmover Supporter For when you need it most Clubs Suit Pip Arkenhammer Supporter
    One idea might be to have a cheaper "unlimited" version of the collectible with just the item, and then the "100-limited" one with the full scene. Like, for Erfmover the unlimited one would be just the shovel sticking out of the dirt, and then the limited one would have the full diorama with the portal column and hall.

And by the way, let me say that I bought in because I loved the idea that the Titans were giving away 100 portal columns.
    ... So, which one of us is going to get Retconjured out of existence? :?

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:37 pm 
    Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf For when you need it most Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Erfmover Supporter Spades Suit Pip Arkenhammer Supporter Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    I grabbed 18 near the end, I'm surprised it wasn't a more popular number.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:59 am 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary
    Another idea would be to have an add on to actually get the object 3d printed and shipped direct from the printer. You can get a decent resin model printed for $15-25--depending on size--and you could likely put it on kickstarter for $25-35. Sanding and painting would be on the backer though.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:52 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Spades Suit Pip Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
    I'm not sure how I feel about the whole gold rush artificial scarcity model. I know it's effective, but it personally grates on me. So, rather than do a user to user auction for shmuckers, I propose a secondary auction for those who want to help but don't actually really care that much about the rewards.

So, if Team Erfworld feels like handling it, I'll donate Erfmover #6/100 for auction (either now, or at a later time of your choosing), with the proceeds going to back to the Erfworld team. So someone gets a thing they missed out on (potentially at a discount - I assume there'd be no reserve) and the team gets more money.

If T.E. is game to make that happen, just let me know via email. I haven't returned the personalization survey yet.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:18 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf This user got funny with a rodent Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user is a Tool! Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Hearts Suit Pip Spades Suit Pip Erfmover Supporter Diamonds Suit Pip Arkenhammer Supporter
    jestyr7 wrote:
    I'm not sure how I feel about the whole gold rush artificial scarcity model. I know it's effective, but it personally grates on me. So, rather than do a user to user auction for shmuckers, I propose a secondary auction for those who want to help but don't actually really care that much about the rewards.

So, if Team Erfworld feels like handling it, I'll donate Erfmover #6/100 for auction (either now, or at a later time of your choosing), with the proceeds going to back to the Erfworld team. So someone gets a thing they missed out on (potentially at a discount - I assume there'd be no reserve) and the team gets more money.

If T.E. is game to make that happen, just let me know via email. I haven't returned the personalization survey yet.

In the absence of an official auction, I'd be willing to give you some fresh shmuckers, purchased newly from the store just for this and not taken from my prexisting tool stash, which would effectively work like a cash donation to Erfworld.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:04 pm 
    Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! This user got funny with a rodent Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins For when you need it most Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Clubs Suit Pip Diamonds Suit Pip Spades Suit Pip Hearts Suit Pip Arkenhammer Supporter
    Caprice wrote:
    One idea might be to have a cheaper "unlimited" version of the collectible with just the item, and then the "100-limited" one with the full scene. Like, for Erfmover the unlimited one would be just the shovel sticking out of the dirt, and then the limited one would have the full diorama with the portal column and hall.

And by the way, let me say that I bought in because I loved the idea that the Titans were giving away 100 portal columns.
    ... So, which one of us is going to get Retconjured out of existence? :?

This is an idea I really like. I'd love to get these items and also help the team stay in business, but I only have 200 dollars of disposable income each month. I don't want to spend it all on virtual collectibles. My thought is to do something very like what is suggested above, There's a million ways to do it. On the hammer I bought I was allowed to inscribe it. Perhaps the unlimited gets no inscription. Maybe the item has a silver border around it rather than gold. Alternatively you could offer 500 at 10 dollars each. I think many would stay in at 20 a month for the collectibles at that price point.

By all means keep selling the numbered versions as well, but some of us have a budget, and I'll be honest here, I don't want to simply hand off money all the time with no reward. I did pledge with no reward for the Shovel and I was Rain or Shine all through last year, but at a certain point I have to call a limit. Please don't take this as being unsympathetic to anything that you're going through, team Balder. You create a special thing here.

Edit - I got my hammer today!
    Attachment:
    Item Profile _ Erfworld_2019-06-07_08-37-03.png
    Item Profile _ Erfworld_2019-06-07_08-37-03.png [ 165.65 KiB | Viewed 1465 times ]

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:25 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    balder wrote:
    When I was a yoot,
    All the yoots would say "w00t"
    Because all of us yoots were 1337

But 1337 is not lit
    And "w00t" is a yikes
    And all of the yoots say "yeet"

So, w00t yeet. Our first make/100 Kickstarter was fire AF, fam. I will stop this at once.

We'll be doing a lot more of these projects, since they solve so many of our problems without creating very many new ones. Look for a new Make/100 weekly. There are a lot of one-off items being modeled for the comic (next will be the Sceptre of Jetstone/Sceptre of Pew), along with the surrounding scene (the Jetstone throne room where Tramennis spoke to Lilith).

The only problem with the Make/100s is that they're limited to 100. Some people who really, really want one of these will get shut out. I've thought of two ways we can help this.

First, I'm going to be launching each project at a randomly chosen time on the 24 hour clock. I don't want your sleep schedule or time zone to keep you from ever getting a chance at a $1 pledge tier. I will announce the project first to backers of previous Make/100 projects, before any other channels.

Second, I'm creating this thread for trades, including pre-survey trades. That is, if you have pledged for an item but haven't filled out your backer survey, you could come to an agreement with somebody to trade them your pledge reward for Shmuckers or gems or units (please not actual cash) and put their username and message into your survey to be put on the model.

So sellers, post here if you have one of the Make/100 items you'd be willing to part with for the right price. Buyers, if you just highkey are ready to throw down some gwop, you can slide into their DMs. 8-) :?

I believe in tough love and honest advice, so ill say this. The tone of the posts lately have been a little too much asking for money and expecting to get it for whatever you put out. But not everything (f.e. the Pew Pew Kickstarter) will bring in money as fast. Bring back the ads, and/or accept that all Good things come to a end, even Erfworld and the bigger streams of revenue that came with it.

Just like other businesses, you hire people bc you have big plans, but sometimes that doesn't work and you have to downsize or reconsider, like regular entrepeneurs or people. :think:

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:26 am 
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter
    Agreed. I'm invested in the story, but if Rob took a few years off to hammer out a simple print book on his typewriter, I'd buy it when it comes out. Erfworld has slowly become less of a comic and more of an illuminated manuscript anyways. Digital goods aren't exciting and they're not really worth the money I could use to buy a movie ticket or a cup of coffee.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:37 pm 
    How does Rich Burlew do it with a stick figure comic, having only used the kickstarter crowd funding once, to reprint books? I think if Rob focused on Parson's story and got back to characters we care about instead of building a wide spread virtual universe, and just focused on making books and finishing the series, he would have more willing supporters.
    The way Erfworld is now, it will likely just simply go away. Because now Rob doesnt even want to write or learn to draw, he just begs for money which he uses for things that most of his core fan base doesnt even want.

Which is a shame, because if he just got back to Parson's arc of returning back home, and stopped getting distracted, it would save him.

He wasted all the coolest characters from Book 1. Don King, Bunny, Caesar. Transylvito ended up not mattering. He turned a showdown between Charlie and Parson into this weird "alive towers" thing.

Erfworld is dead. Because Rob does not know how the story ends.

To bring up Burlew again, Rich knows how the story ends, and he is leading us to it. Which is why he is ultimately the more successful comic writer.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:36 pm 
    Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! This user got funny with a rodent Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins For when you need it most Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Clubs Suit Pip Diamonds Suit Pip Spades Suit Pip Hearts Suit Pip Arkenhammer Supporter
    KonradKnox wrote:
    How does Rich Burlew do it with a stick figure comic, having only used the kickstarter crowd funding once, to reprint books? I think if Rob focused on Parson's story and got back to characters we care about instead of building a wide spread virtual universe, and just focused on making books and finishing the series, he would have more willing supporters.
    The way Erfworld is now, it will likely just simply go away. Because now Rob doesnt even want to write or learn to draw, he just begs for money which he uses for things that most of his core fan base doesnt even want.

Which is a shame, because if he just got back to Parson's arc of returning back home, and stopped getting distracted, it would save him.

He wasted all the coolest characters from Book 1. Don King, Bunny, Caesar. Transylvito ended up not mattering. He turned a showdown between Charlie and Parson into this weird "alive towers" thing.

Erfworld is dead. Because Rob does not know how the story ends.

To bring up Burlew again, Rich knows how the story ends, and he is leading us to it. Which is why he is ultimately the more successful comic writer.

Wow, arent you the douchebag? I'll go ahead and leave it with I disagree with virtually everything you just said. If you don't have a solution you might be better off just being quiet.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:47 pm 
    Skull, he did suggest a solution: returning focus to Parson. Might not be an immediate answer to the current problem, but it was a suggestion and not just complaining about where the story is.

If the hangup is the art, more text only posts seems like an answer. One of the best pieces of book 3/4 was the update from Jed's point of view. I do not think readers would be disappointed with those kind of updates (even if they were fairly short).

However I think we're way off topic for this thread.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:55 am 
    This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Spades Suit Pip Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Clubs Suit Pip
    I have no complaints about the story, on the contrary. But I'm not particularly into virtual gadgets. I'd rather have an option to keep my rain or shine pledge running. Maybe there are other fans who feel that way?

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:22 pm 
    I saw something I agreed with in the Kickstarter for Pew Pew. I think they should do this as one big funding goal. Dont try to manage 2 kickstarters a month for the next 8 months, (more if they fail) Have one kickstarter. Have tiers of rewards. You can also tie the rewards into the project like they are doing already. Here is an example of the kind of Idea I'm thinking:

Tier 1 - $10. Badge Only
    Tier 2 - $25 Previous tiers + The Pew Pew model.
    Tier 3 - $35 Previous tiers + The Staff of Suckage
    Etc and so forth until we get to some higher dollars.....

Tier 15 - $150 Spacerock city model
    Tier 16 - $175 All Models plus the STL for the Pew Pew
    Tier 17 - $200 Preview + the STL for the Staff of Suckage....

The idea of doing it this way is to raise the necessary money to pay for the project all in one go. This way we avoid the burnout of the current model (will anyone really pay 100 dollars for the 15th time in November for a model?) People can continue to keep their Rain or Shine going, can choose to support the kickstarter at a level they can afford, and it gets the work off the team to manage all those kickstarters. Plus you're giving as a reward what the money is going to pay for. Just my 2 cents.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:04 am 
    Well first off, no I am not the douchebag. I am one of the few remaining hundreds of folks who want Erfworld to get good again. It's the enabler crowd that encourages bad habits that will bring about the end of this project.

I backed Duel in the Somme back in the day and own a paper copy of it, because that was a good solid story, an example of Rob Balder's quality work. It was a cohesive story with a good hook and a solid ending.

Now, you can't deny that when you search for Erfworld on Wikipedia, the definition of the plot says "A comic about a gamer strategist stuck in a turn based strategy game like world". That was a good hook that made Book 1 so superior, and don't even pretend that it wasn't a good hook. You know it, Rob knows it. All the best characters we care about only came to be that way once Parson had an interaction, an opinion, or a perspective of them. Stanley prototypes Parson's mead boss at Kinko's, Wanda is the boss's hot secretary, the too-good to be your girlfriend mistress kinda girl, Maggie is the strict school teacher, Sizemore is an abused colleague you can bitch about work to, Ansom is the popular guy in high school who everyone wants to be like. Etc. We saw characters as meaningful once they involved themselves in the conflict for Gobwin Knob.
    We only started caring about Charlie once he joined the conflict.

These things are undeniable, they are the solution, and I offered the solution.
    Get back to writing the story which began, and defined this project's success.

You cannot deny that fan numbers have plummeted once the story left Gobwin Knob.
    I am just one guy on the internet, and I know personally 18 Erfworld readers who no longer read erfworld, because they lost track of the main story.

And yeah, sure, there are a few hundred loyal Erfworld fans still. But that's very little. You can't pretend that you don't have friends whom you introduced to this comic, and they stopped following it around Book 3-4, once deep magic philosophy and massive plot tangents began.

You can't pretend and enable Rob to sell 3D models to raise money, 3D models that will mean nothing if the main franchise is dead. There's a reason Star Wars fandom is still active, where as Lexx and Firefly fandoms are small and insignificant, because the shows have ended.

The only way to save the fanbase long term is to abandon all current ambitious "virtual universe" projects and focus on writing Parson's story. How he gets back home, into real world, and maybe tries to get back again. Maybe recruits his gamer friends and ports them into Erfworld somehow, but ends up on separate sides, and must reunite with them, free them from their respective rulers, etc.

That would be a cool story I would get back to reading. Keep it small. Keep it with the people introduced to us in Parson's apartment. Don't bring in like 200 random Erfworld countries on an ever expanding map. Few people will like that, most people won't.

I can't wait to tell my friends, "Hey, Erfworld got good again!", but if I do that right now, they'll just stop trusting my recommendations.

I am giving the good advice. You change nothing by suggesting creative ways to extract money from the fanbase without fixing the story. Rob was a capable writer and he needs to find his way again, and that's how you produce great stuff like Book 1. You bring the A-Plot back.

I know Rob is stubborn. He's saying "this is what Erfworld is gonna be now", but then he's also like "why aren't we getting as many profits?" Well, maybe Erfworld shouldn't be the way he decided, maybe return to the roots that gained Rob the fandom to begin with. Parson Gotti was identifiable with. There is no way that he doesn't understand that.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:29 pm 
    All of that is very much denable. I like Fumo, I want to know more about Generica. Rob hasnt let me down with new sides and people so far, I'm willing to believe that story is going somewhere I want to go. I don't think you represent "the few remaining" You're not a supporter, have no badges and 51 posts.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld