Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:42 pm 
Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
Its time to open up a new Contest for the betterment of ERFworld! hear ye! hear ye! this time we are going to try to expand on the "useless" mathematicians we all love and that ain't showing after 10 years of erfworld. :p

It can be said that ANYTHING can be turned into maths as long as the mathamancer can observe it, right? then what could a mathamancer do? I'm giving a free suggestions in case it inspire people to write, but you can also come up with a few perks of your own.

For example, a mathematician ain't the "leader" type of guy, but could be the Tactician of the army! which is a Very important role since its the one making you win battles! (did you saw the infinity war movie with dr strange looking at all possible outcomes? that's a mathematician using juice!)

Sure Ven, What more could they do? the simplest effect (secret for them) is that if Anything can be made into math by observing, the opposite it must also be true, you could convert "math" into reality!

Need a bit more help? well, you do recall how OP was marie with the rifles killing the entire garrison because the battle matters? well, when battles doesn't matter to fate a Mathamancer could do almost the same, using the awesome "Gun Kata" training from "Equilibrium movie" by placing themselves outside of the attacks trajectories! its like you are immune to attacks as long as you have juice!

Well, enough already, so What do we have to do? Easy peasy, write a fiction in which the main protagonist should be a Mathamancer (it could be from any side, but as all my contests go NEW content takes priority over overused ones so you are warned!) have fun writing and I hape yours is the one that Won!

these are the rewards, for each entry in the contest I'll up the rewards! (until reaching a limit on my mind and wallet!) :3

Finish date: The competition is open up until March 1st. may the erf be with you!

Math's is in the air! <- date Open until march 1st!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:28 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user has been published!
    Mathamancer Nash got a bit longer than I expected.

A tale from Erfworld: The Retconjurer

A tale of Rhyme-o-mancy: The Noble Gasses

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:33 pm 
    Not a submission, but some possible applications of mathamancy.

The Rumor Wheel is an organization that duplicates and passes messages between Sides. They have a mathamancer who designed and manages a hashtag-like system for classifying rumors. From a in a story I am working on that will not be ready before the end date.

Mathamancy would also be useful in combat for ballistics calculations. For example, if you wanted to target a warlord on the far side of a wall with a catapult. On a larger scale, it should be possible to build a "rail gun" using a tube with very many changemancy accelerators on it. Mount it on the tower and your could bombard enemy cities. I expect a skilled mathamancer could hit specific targets, such as the war room during a strategy session.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:31 pm 
    so here is the thing, I don't usually write (by that I mean last time I wrote a story I was half my age), but I like math so I would love to see more mathmancy related staff. So I started to write but I underestimated how much my full-time job would tire me out mentally. I would really love to finish what I started but I honestly think I won't be able to.
    Since there is not much mathmancy related info I decided to run wild and cut the excess. I am halfway through running wild and did not start cutting the excess so it might be a little "too much". Following is my attempt. It is not much, but it is more than 0.

Spoiler: show
    1st thing he noticed with his 2 eyes was that his fingers were divided into 3 sections for bending and they were arranged in 4 sets on each limb and each limb contained 5 fingers.

Then he breathe for the first time, then a second time, He wondered was there ever a zeroth breath or even a minus first? what about the fifth-and-a-half-th breath, would it count if he did not exhale after his fifth breath? Does the breaths counted orderly or consisted unbroken continuum? what if...

R: Who are you?

He looked at the voice that distracted from his thoughts. It was ….

M: I am a mathmancer he answered.
    R:… I was asking your name
    M: oh of course I am …..
    R: Well x, I am …. welcome to the …. We are not really a mathmancy depended kingdom but extra caster wouldn't probably hurt. So what can a mathmancer do?
    M: I am not quite sure actually.
    R: I heard no one understands mathmancers but I wouldn't guess that mathmancers were included too.
    M: Well since mathmancers are considered “some one” by definition, it is quite logical for them to be auto-included in every set that is described as “everyone”.
    R:…
    M:…
    R:yeeeaaah suuure, you know what I think you should talk more to people who understand what you are saying. why don't you go to MK and learn what mathmancers do? Maybe you can find other uses than confusing people.

E: We do mathmancy of course.
    M: What is mathmancy then?
    E: It is everything she said with a surprised look on her face.

E: It is simple really Findamancers know the location of things on the map of erf, predictamancers locates events on the map of fates, Mathamancers know the location of things on the map of numbers. Of course, our disciplines are as different as Erf Fate and Numbers. Erf operates with a set of rules that not change,
    C: Rarely change, the nonexistence of retconjurers is not yet proven. (said a mathmancer nearby)
    E: Fate, is fickle probably no one knows its rules if it has any, Numbers, on the other hand, is not about rules at all, they are the very fundamental existence. We barely find patterns
    C: With a varying margin of error of course.

E: As you can see Life is all Numbers and so What a mathmancer does is usually less about what it can do and more about what he wants to do.
    C: Or more probably what your patron or warlord wants you to do.

E: There are things you should know about mathamancy before you go

they enter the hall of frames
    E: Well you see, At first we did not have a ruler. Every mathmancers was on its own. But all of us knew that we would be better off within some kind of organized system. But you see none of us wanted to waste his juice on something as boring as organising. So we chose a thinkamancer to rule us. Don’t misunderstand he was a powerful mathmancer, legends say that he even developed a technique where he could just see the underlying numbers that make us all. However, He was an odd fellow, despite his knowledge of mathmancy He used Date-a-mancy to evaluate us rather than pure mathamancy. Some of us even argued with his decisions when the units stats simply did not match his evaluation. However, No one expected his second in command, to double cross and croak him.
    the portrait was showing a blonde unit with a white and brown glove on a black red background. Under the portrait said, “You expected someone else would croak you but It was I, Duo!”
    M: Why did Duo betray him?
    E: Probably he wanted to even out some score between them. We did not have a chance to ask him before we croacked and replaced him. After him, we decided to choose our rules among our selves. But we already get used to thinkamacy system and thinkamancers were not willing to share their secrets. In the end, we made a contract so that, 3 volunteer mathmancers would go to the thinkamancer temple to learn thinkamancy. They would organize us via thinkagrams and will earn their keep by doing number crunching for the thinkamancers. However, they will spend the rest of their turns in there and they would not be able to say anything related to thinkamancers secrets. We refer to that brave trio as the Holy trinity. she said showing the 3rd frame which pictures 3 mathmancers

E: Not long after that, we noticed something is wrong. first of all the holy trinity decided to give us all their rands except just enough to feed them. However, some of us noticed that the numbers did not add up. The three adept mathmancers number crunching would be too little for their keep + the thinkagrams they cast + the rands they sent us. In fact, the solution was possible if and only if they were casting a super computation but it was only possible with a 3 mathmancer linkup. But that should not be possible because we are able to communicate with them via thinkagrams.
    “So we hired a shockmancer.” he said while they were under the fourth frame depicting a wise looking unit with some kind of shockamancy weapon that looked like a stick. “His job was to investigate the state of our holy trinity in secrecy. we did not see him ever since but you can hear some superstitious mathmancers say to each other “may the fourth be with you” in times of danger
    M: “the forth”?
    E: As in the guy in the fourth frame.
    M: Did he not have a name?
    E: We probably did not record his name for secrecy reasons or Perhaps the archives are incomplete.
    After we lose contact with him we decided to take matters into our hands again and decided that at all times exactly five of us would dedicate their juice to investigate any relevant info regarding the holy trinity or the forth.

their conversation interrupted with shouting from outside when they ask around

-Didn’t you heard GK started to croak casters and turn them we are all going
    -Come on friend lets show you what a mathmancer can do.
    -but I am not good at shockmancy
    -don't worry you won't need it

(as they run he tries to explain that mathmancy could be used to fine tune other casters castings with various effect (juice efficiency, higher chance of critical hit, longer range etc) or it could be used to determine the weakness of the enemy)

hey dirtamancer, I am a mathmancer, max power this way in 3, 2, 1
    he nods and lunches a big boulder into the air, after a second the rock hits and incapacitates a stack of stabbers that are about to engage.
    now it is your turn just touch him and feel his stats, then chose a target and make an educated guess.

As they attacked with the weird dollamancy tools she bent backward by bending her knees. M could see that E was bending her knees just enough to dodge the dirtamancy projectiles while keeping its center of mass at the precisely correct place. She was flailing her arms to micromanage and correct any error she made…

just before he … the world started to fold on itself he turned to ask … he noticed the … is standing on a tree sideways. His eyes were closed. headmaster rises his left arm and in turn, arm stretches and goes into a tree and comes out from the ground and the touches him. As it pulls … he barfs causing the barf to become a long string that disappears into the horizon. just then he hears headmasters voice in his ears.
    E: don’t trust your senses trust your numbers,
    As he focuses himself he notices his position nor his stats related to the shape of his body changed at all. in fact the size of the expanding ground beneath him appears to be constant. he tried to remember the location of math vile and starts to walk that way. It was really hard to walk when your body appears to be not listening to you. he lost his balance couple of times but his numbers are changing as expected.

random mathamancy related quotes that could be used somewhere:

Pure mathmancy is, in its way, the rhyme-omancy of logical ideas.
    Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathmancy. I can assure you mine are still greater.

Without mathmancy, there's nothing you can do. Everything around you is mathmancy. Everything around you is numbers.

Mathmancy is the art of using the same signs for different things.

Mathmancy as an expression of the units mind reflects the active will, the contemplative reason, and the desire for perfect rhyme-omancy. Its basic elements are logic and intuition, analysis and construction, generality and individuality.

The essence of mathmancy lies in its freedom.

Numbers is a place where you can do things which you can't do with the Erf’s rules

What is mathmancy? It is only a systematic effort of solving puzzles posed by Erf

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:59 pm 
    why nobody mentioned that I forgot to put what are the rewards for the contest placements? ^^U

So far we only have 2 entries submitted (mathematician nash) and paskal entry. I'm informing you guys that there's is still a few hours left (more than 11 that's for sure) to submit entries. after that I'll reply closing the contest and giving out the prices to the contestants.

Take care! :)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:34 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user has been published!
    Vendanna wrote:
    why nobody mentioned that I forgot to put what are the rewards for the contest placements? ^^U

I think that (and both stories) :lol: show that Mathamancers are only in it for the Aahhrt :ugeek: rather than mere schmuckers. ;)

A tale from Erfworld: The Retconjurer

A tale of Rhyme-o-mancy: The Noble Gasses

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:07 pm 
    OK, enough lurking. The following is (part 1 of) a story I've been sketching for some time. I hadn't expected it to be the first I'd go for, but when I came across this contest it seemed my Duty to submit something.

https://erfworld.com/blog/view/71620/the-hept-part-1

(The full thing will probably be something like 5 parts, but I'll get there when I get there.)

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:09 pm 
    ok, entries placement closed.

And now I'll give out the veredict.

:wanda: First prize of 30 Shmuckers; goes to Mathamancer Nash by Tadtornhill.
    :charlie: Second prize of 20 Shmuckers; goes to The hept, part 1 by sesquicontinuous
    :stanley: Third prize is 10 Shmuckers; goes to random mathamancy related quotes that could be used somewhere by paskal.*

*name was picked out by me after reached the blackened text. :3

Overall, I want to give all participants hugs for spending their time in working on a mathamancy related story for the contest and sharing it with us all so *hugs*

Second I enjoyed greatly the tales, the first and second place was REALLY really hard to decide upon, that's what makes this contest a great success!

I'll shortly give the prices to the contestants, while thinking on the theme of the next contest, hope we get more participants, because the more, the merrier. :3

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld