Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:55 pm 
This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user posted the comment of the month
Ladies, gentlemen, assorted ghosts, spirits, demons, abominations before science and nature, monstrosities and librarians, it is that time of year again.

The time... (dramatic pause)

:tv: For the Erfworld Halloween Competition! :tv:

Mwhahahaha!

That's right, now is the time to start preparing your fanfics, fan art, songs, and other miscellaneous oddities for the delight and fright of your fellow Erfworlders.

Categories are:
  • :albert: Art (comics and one-off fan art);
  • :jed: Fan fiction (stand alone and multi-part);
  • :jetstone: Song & poetry (original and redone song lyrics);
  • :parson: Animation, this is an all new category sponsored by Obsidian Lion;
  • :hamstard: "Other" (dolls, handcrafts, cosplay, the kitchen sink; everything else basically)

Now, this is a competition, so the categories will be opened once there are 2 or more entries in a given category. Winners will receive a prize made possible by the frighteningly generous donations of the following Erfworlders: Lipkin, Salvage, kaylasdad99, Cloudbreaker, Gohei, Kyiote, No one in particular, Omnimancer, Gildomar, Brother Mirtillo, t3P, mattlistener, aristotle2600, ObsiianLion, Burley, Cryptomancer, Jaxad0127, Darth Curious, curator, Lonthalus and last but certainly not least, Zebio. The prizes are currently:
  • :wanda: First prize of 2,171 Shmuckers;
  • :charlie: Second prize of 1,086 Shmuckers;
  • :stanley: Third prize of 543 Shmuckers

[UPDATE] Thanks to a ghoulishly generous donation from the Cryptomancer Mining Co, all winners will also receive their very own beautifully glowing Dusky Gem! The glow may or may not be the souls of the Gobwins and Marbits who perished during the volcano uncroaking.

Runners up will may also receive an "Honorable Mention" award of $200 Shmuckers, courtesy of curator!

Do you have some time on your hands? Do you like helping? How about holding the fate of others in your cold iron fist? Shoot me a PM and we'll talk about including you in the judges panel.* Likewise, if you want to sweeten the pot and add Shmuckers to the prize pool send me a PM to coordinate.

And here's the rules, reprinted with minor modifications from last year's contest because they help protect my threadbare sanity (probably?). :charlie:

1. Theme: Just to emphasize, this is a Halloween / Erfworld themed competition. Scary stories, creepy art, spooky Edgar Alan Poe-etry, pictures of your Hamstard porch Pumpkin; all of them can compete in their respective category so long as they have the Erfworld twist.
1.1. Brother Mirtillo Corollary: Non-scary stuff like costume parties, or from other cultures like the Day of the Dead celebration, are also acceptable if it's evocative of the Halloween spirit.
2. Tone: Again, creepy, scary, funny, irreverent, even gross out is okay. Just keep it classy, this isn't about gorn.
3. Finish date: The competition is open until the stroke of midnight for October 30th. Anything posted on 12:01 AM CDT of October 31st will have to wait for 2019.
4. Entries: You can submit multiple times for each category, but only one of them will be considered to win a prize. Similarly, if you feel inspired to make a multi-part story, only the first part will be judged, so make sure it's got a good hook and is self-contained.
4.1 Cloudbreaker Corollary: In the spirit of promoting new content, all entries must be created within the last year;
5. Submitting: Links to the entries (either as forum posts or as independent Submissions in the Submissions stream) must be posted in this thread in order to be considered. I highly encourage you to post your story/art/poetry/80's rock ballad on the Submission stream and/or the Fiction sub-forum so it has more visibility.

Any questions or clarifications can be asked here or sent via PM.

Well, that's all, fright knights and scream queens, we all look forward to your malevolent masterpieces. :twisted: :tv:

* (No being Judge, Jury and Contestant. If you want to participate as a judge you can not have an entry in the given category you agree to help judge.) :charlie:

Here's my Erfics: Hungry Jungle. -- Completed!

The Overlord's New Clothes -- Two parter, Completed

Unjust Deserts -- Completed!

Last edited by spicymancer on Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 9 times in total.
  • Tipped by 7 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:43 pm 
    I rose up from the dead today,
    My heart is beating faster.
    I find myself devoted to
    A certain badass caster

I follow every costume change
    I study all her dos;
    Updates about her makeup are
    All I need for news

I used to think the undead life
    Would be an utter bitch;
    But I've been very happy
    Since I turned into a lich.

I held on to my levels
    I held on to my might
    I gifted her my Arkentool, well
    She grabbed it in the fight.

I used to like a girl named Jill,
    She said that I was handsome.
    But now my heart belongs to her
    Because my name is...
    Whatever you want it to be, Mistress Wanda.

Edit: Minor changes for scansion.

Last edited by seanfish on Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:37 pm 
    This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user posted the comment of the month
    Wow, that was fast! :D

Thanks Seanfish, really fun read. I actually forgot to mention above, but if you want to revise/proofread you can. All entries will be (re)read come judging time so it’s the latest version being contemplated.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:48 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf
    Spicy, are these prizes coming out of your pocket?

I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:32 am 
    Lipkin wrote:

Yeah, they are. :)

I've accumulated a tidy sum of Shmuckers after so much fanfic-ing, and frankly this is one of the funnest ways I know to spend them.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:32 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf
    Spicymancer wrote:
    Lipkin wrote:

I've accumulated a tidy sum of Shmuckers after so much fanfic-ing, and frankly this is one of the funnest ways I know to spend them.

I probably won't submit anything, and don't know that I have the time or attention span to be a judge, but I too have a tidy sum of shmuckers.

Double the prizes. I'll match your amount.

I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:54 pm 
    Lipkin wrote:
    Spicymancer wrote:
    Lipkin wrote:

I probably won't submit anything, and don't know that I have the time or attention span to be a judge, but I too have a tidy sum of shmuckers.

Double the prizes. I'll match your amount.

That's some generous Dittomancy you got there! :D

Sounds good, let me know if you change your mind about writing and/or judging. It's always good to have an extra pair of eyes, but it still takes a fair bit of time to read through everything, judging by the past ones.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:42 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Twelve Days of Marching (In the Same Swamp Hex)

On the first day of marching,
    My army's report revealed:
    An unknown caster active in the field.

On the second day of marching,
    Two captured stacks,
    And an unknown caster active in the field.

On the third day of marching,
    Three wrong turns, two captured stacks,

On the fourth day of marching,
    Four untamed crows, three wrong turns, two captured stacks,

On the fifth day of marching,
    FIVE GLOWING LIGHTS!

On the sixth day of marching,
    Six signs a-pointing,
    FIVE GLOWING LIGHTS!

On the seventh day of marching,
    Seven more a-rotting, Six signs a-pointing,
    FIVE GLOWING LIGHTS!

On the eighth day of marching,
    Eight croaked a-hanging,
    Seven more a-rotting, six signs a-pointing,
    FIVE GLOWING LIGHTS!

On the ninth day of marching,
    Nine allies missing, eight croaked a-hanging,
    FIVE GLOWING LIGHTS!

On the tenth day of marching,
    Ten knights a-croaking,
    FIVE GLOWING LIGHTS!

On the eleventh day of marching,
    Eleven spidews biting, ten knights a-croaking,
    FIVE GLOWING LIGHTS!

On the twelfth day of marching,
    Twelve casters casting,
    Eleven spidews feasting, ten knights attacking,
    Nine allies turning, eight uncroaked charging,
    Seven more a-shooting, six traps a-springing,
    FIVE HOSTILE STACKS!
    Four scarecrow Dolls, three dead ends, two traitor Counts,
    And that my Warlord really wants to yield.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:24 am 
    Spicymancer wrote:
    Wow, that was fast! :D

Thanks Seanfish, really fun read. I actually forgot to mention above, but if you want to revise/proofread you can. All entries will be (re)read come judging time so it’s the latest version being contemplated.

Haha thank you - the funny thing is most of that time was trying to think of a limerick about Wanda and fanservice and couldn't find a decent rhyme for "Wanda" that would thematically and syntatically fit with the metre of the last line. My creative frustration exploded into the little tale of Ansom's experience of undeath.

Will keep the opportunity for revision in mind although I'm afraid to tinker now...

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:09 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf For when you need it most Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Ruler of Erfworld
    By my mathamancy, the initial prize pool was 700 shmuckers?

I'm super busy with work, so I won't be able to contribute with art, but I can make the prize pool a bit bigger, also judge if you still need someone.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:27 pm 
    kiyote wrote:
    By my mathamancy, the initial prize pool was 700 shmuckers?

I'm super busy with work, so I won't be able to contribute with art, but I can make the prize pool a bit bigger, also judge if you still need someone.

Thanks kiyote, just wanted to confirm receiving your tip, I've actually had to make a Google Sheet to track donors, donations and judges. :shock: :lol:

Speaking of which, we have 4 so far counting me. If you want to be a judge you absolutely can, it's not really a question of "need" just yet, though it may get there if there's a lot of submissions and we have to divide categories. If you want to be "on reserve", then I can put you down as a backup judge and PM you if the need arises. Sound good?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:47 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool! Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf For when you need it most Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Ruler of Erfworld
    Works for me! Let me know

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:38 pm 
    Man, what did I start?
    Technically Spicy started it, but still.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:31 pm 
    Lipkin wrote:
    Man, what did I start?

A good thing, mate, a good thing!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:48 am 
    Lipkin wrote:
    Man, what did I start?

:ugeek: You made me have to make an Excel file just to keep track of things.

An Excel* file! :evil:

Anyway, here's your shovel. Now come on, those bodies aren't going to bury themselves.

It's a team effort in all the best ways, the sheer outpouring of interest and support you kicked off has been pretty breathtaking. Also, you made me laugh last night with the post. ;)

*Technically a Google Sheet, but whatever.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:50 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf
    As requested, here is the ineligible 2012 artwork I created that I thought fit your theme. It is an image of Ula Gee, queen of the Spidew Den. She is not very nice and is known in many circles as the Tyrant Ula. Oh, and as a side note, the Hat Magic of her crown allows her to see in eight directions at once.

Here is a DeviantArt link as well in case the attachment doesn't function at some point in the future.
    https://orig00.deviantart.net/6e4c/f/20 ... 58aqop.jpg

Attachments:
    TyrantUla.jpg
    TyrantUla.jpg [ 78.25 KiB | Viewed 448 times ]
  • Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:48 pm 
    cloudbreaker wrote:
    As requested, here is the ineligible 2012 artwork I created that I thought fit your theme. It is an image of Ula Gee, queen of the Spidew Den. She is not very nice and is known in many circles as the Tyrant Ula. Oh, and as a side note, the Hat Magic of her crown allows her to see in eight directions at once.

Here is a DeviantArt link as well in case the attachment doesn't function at some point in the future.

Thanks cloudbreaker, and wow, she is a terrifying beaut. Reminds me of Queen Arachnia, in a good way. ;)

Also, doing a bit of cross posting from the blog post. This is a bit of an executive summary of what's been going on. We now have:
    • Animation, a whole new contest category suggested by Obsidian Lion
    • 9 volunteer judges;
    • 20 donors;
    • $16,754 Shmuckers donated (technically $21,754 with the item below);
    • 15 Dusky Gems (large, medium and small) with a net value of $5,000 Shmuckers, donated by Cryptomancer

I had no idea there was this much... interest? Restless energy to tap into? Regardless, this year's Halloween competition really did get big. :shock:

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:04 pm 
    Spicymancer wrote:
    cloudbreaker wrote:

Thanks cloudbreaker, and wow, she is a terrifying beaut. Reminds me of Queen Arachnia, in a good way. ;)

Also, doing a bit of cross posting from the blog post. This is a bit of an executive summary of what's been going on. We now have:
    • Animation, a whole new contest category suggested by Obsidian Lion
    • 9 volunteer judges;
    • 20 donors;
    • $16,754 Shmuckers donated (technically $21,754 with the item below);
    • 15 Dusky Gems (large, medium and small) with a net value of $5,000 Shmuckers, donated by Cryptomancer

I had no idea there was this much... interest? Restless energy to tap into? Regardless, this year's Halloween competition really did get big. :shock:

Just to be clear, is it 16,754 shmuckers? Or is it $16,754 worth of shmuckers?

Because 1 shmucker = 10 American cents (or it did, when the story was still open) The sign for Shmucker is an S with three lines through it.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:36 pm 
    This user is a Tool! IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Clubs Suit Pip
    Lipkin wrote:

Because 1 shmucker = 10 American cents (or it did, when the story was still open) The sign for Shmucker is an S with three lines through it.

Good luck finding the Shmucker sign on your keyboard. I am assuming Spicymancer means 16754 shmuckers. 167540 would be a bit excessive. Though the final donation count will have to be taken at october 31th.

The Imperfect Warlord

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:11 pm 
    Lipkin wrote:

Bandaid wrote:
    Good luck finding the Shmucker sign on your keyboard. I am assuming Spicymancer means 16754 shmuckers. 167540 would be a bit excessive. Though the final donation count will have to be taken at october 31th.

True, and yeah, it's 16,754 Shmuckers and not the dollar equivalent of that. The rate of donations is tapering off a little now that it's been a few days, though the amount and type of donation is still pretty varied, so I hesitate to guess what it'll eventually be. *shrug*

After posting yesterday I think I'll just sit back and relax for a while. I got a bit too caught up in the pace of things, probably best to let things mature then the judges can start to coordinate based on submissions.

Also, I think I'll leave off using regular dollar signs from now on. Maybe switch to the gem icon? <> <> <> ;) :P

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld