Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld

Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:42 pm 
Here for the 10th Anniversary
Shai hulud wrote:
Arci wrote:
When I think of magic I usually first think of telekinesis, the ability to move objects around. This would make me think that telekinesis would fall somewhere within Spookism, where motion lives...

...except that what exists in Spookism deals pretty much with JUST motion, and telekinesis is MOTION applied to an object, AKA... MATTER.

So, I think that telekinetic effects would be a subset of shockmancy.

:roll: Ugh what does that even mean, "JUST MOTION", what would motion that's not applied to anything even BE?

Well, look at turnamancy, it alters things that DON'T EVEN EXIST YET (turns until something pops) and applies force to things that aren't even matter (willpower and allegiance, though held by things that are matter, are not themselves, matter). Heck, the one thing that Turnamancy CAN'T seem to turn is someone's physical position, because that would be altering "matter".

I won't argue dollamancy, partially because I just don't understand that crap anyway. But I will point out that it appears that Dollamancy is more about the organization of things than about affecting matter.

And if I can't argue dollamancy, forget me arguing Weirdamancy, that non-stuff's just plain weird.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:32 pm 
    Change... Motion, is change.

Changamancy aside, it's still one thing that all three Motion disciplines have in common! They "get things moving", they change things.

Turnamancy gets things moving directly, altering turn cycles and loyalties via motivation.
    Dollamancy changes (moves) cloth and various materials, magic ON matter, but not OF matter.
    Weirdamancy changes magic itself!

I think with some exception to Weirdamancy, each one of these also means that once the casting is done, the change keeps going. Which puts them at odds with Changeamancy which, once you've changed an object from one form to another... it just kinda stays that way I think.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:50 pm 
    In fact, this gets even more interesting.

If Motion magic puts motion or change into something, but changeamancy only changes the object itself.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:42 pm 
    I'm seeing something of a theory popping.

Matter doesn't like to move, it is fairly stationary. As such, magic of Matter and Motion is something of a contradiction. Which explains Shockmancy, it's a contradiction, from "stationary" to "moving" suddenly, shocking something.

Croakamancy is applying motion to matter that used to have life, it was once moving and now... it has stopped.

What about Deletionism? Applying motion to the state of Matter, applying MOVEMENT to the STATE of matter, as in, flipping the "existence" switch from "on" to "off", snuffing life and, indeed, matter, directly.

Of course Deletionism got deleted so that's a bust.

Hippiemancy seems to support this, being all about being stationary, or rather, being "without" or "anti" motion.

That being said, it seems that all 3 of the 2-element magics can be defined as "magic sans X" where "X" is the missing element.

But, if that is true, does that mean that eyemancy not only doesn't USE matter, but simply DOESN'T MATTER?!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:34 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    I still think there's four axis and four elements.

-The Song of Maybe

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:00 pm 
    Shai hulud wrote:
    I still think there's four axis and four elements.

I do not think so. But that's only all the more reason to tell us more anyway.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:35 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter This user is a Tool! Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Remember how, for, like, a really long time, people thought the world was flat? Or, that mice were born from bags of wet flower? Or, that drinking mercury would give you long life?

Maybe, just maybe, the magic table was crafted a long time ago, and now that people are pushing the bounds of magic, we're seeing that the table was created this way to define that which is undefinable (The Titanic Religion). You can categorize a concept or idea, but you can't really categorize the concept of ideas.
    I can't find the post, but didn't Maggie have a realization that she was a Date-a-mancer, or something? Perhaps, like so much of Erfworld, intent defines results as much as action does. It's all about your frame of mind.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:50 am 
    This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter E is for Erfworld Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Burley wrote:
    Maybe, just maybe, the magic table was crafted a long time ago, and now that people are pushing the bounds of magic, we're seeing that the table was created this way to define that which is undefinable (The Titanic Religion).

The Arkenpliers itself speaks in terms of various "magic table" disciplines (Croakamancy, Dollamancy, Dirtamancy, Turnamancy) in its inner monologue, so I suspect those terms do refer to some sort of real, fundamental modes of perception or being. Now whether living units are strictly bound to those modes is another question altogether.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:14 pm 
    I had a theory, though the speculation has already been up and also it deals less with magic directly and more with casters and the MK.

I suspect the cost for making rands would be 150% of your upkeep cost and rands CANNOT be converted (directly) into shmuckers and cannot be used to keep your upkeep costs outside of the MK. An alternative cost speculation is that it costs like 200% of your upkeep to BEGIN making rands, but each rand itself only costs 100% of your upkeep, so the more rands you make in a batch the lower the cost-per-rand.

This would mean that low-lever casters, with a lower upkeep cost, could keep themselves alive by offering to "create" rands at a lower cost than it would take higher level casters to do it. This does fill a bit of a hole in the MK in that, the casters there live by selling their services to sides, but that would mean that low-level casters have very little to offer and thus would not last long at all. This would allow a few of them to have alternative services to offer.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld