Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld

Post Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:15 pm 
This user is a Tool! Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
TL:DR Version = Recommend great fan stories to read, and maybe consider if we as a community can work on finding a unified collection of the 'best new stuff' every once in a while so that if a long series of skips (Don't complain about them, seriously, WTF is wrong with the few who do) are coming or if there's panic from Team Erfworld, we can maybe make their lives easier.

So about those 'best stories to read'?

I'm not exactly king of the forums. To be honest, I spend most of my time patrolling the internet for new and exciting opportunities to disappear down entirely different holes than just Erfworld...though I admit (somewhat sheepishly) that doesn't prevent me from re-reading Erfworld several times a year. But I also found that when a fan story or sample of writing is posted to the main page, I'm consistently impressed and entertained. Which leads me to ask...WHAT stories/posts/writing pieces made you the happiest? Which did you enjoy best? And what would you recommend people read, if you as a person got the chance to give a 'best recommendation(s)' list?

As a related point, I appreciate that people have had the tact to almost entirely avoid whining about skips because not only are they shockingly infrequent, all things considered, but they're pretty understandable as the story has gone from "Internet Denizen In Oz" basics to "Complex theory of magical world genesis and the underlying mechanical operations of anywhere between idiot simpletons to near-deific figures engaged in a good vs evil struggle that forces complex moral stories into a niche of comics that is rarely seen and even more rarely done well". At this point, there's a lot of stuff to remember/understand/grasp. And as such...
Well, what if we (the collective community) were to maybe try to curate a list of 'Recent Best' writings? Like, maybe once a week, or semimonthly, or even monthly/bi-monthly a moderator or devoted Forum-goer were to try to post a 'AWESOME new stuff!' post? Wouldn't that be a great resource then, if there's a desire to feature a story on the main page, to find it? Couldn't that cut down on people's time investment a bit, while simultaneously offering a chance for featured writing to have a uniquely valued, identified place?

Anyhow, that's my crazy idea and I don't claim it'll work. I'm expecting, hoping, and accepting that the comments to come are likely going to be "You're wrong, that won't work, here's why!" or "we already have it and you're an idiot" (very possible) or something similar. Basically, though..if you DO have ideas, if you know someone who might want to run such a thing (or if you do yourself) I figured...hey, why not post and mention it?

So...yeah. That's my thoughts. I welcome the comments and replies. Don't spare my feelings. Unless you want to. Which, you know, good on you if so! :D

Thanks for reading my rant!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:14 pm 
    This user is a Tool! This user was a Tool before it was cool This user has been published! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary Shiny Red Star Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    I hope some of my posts will make you laugh, such as this one:

viewtopic.php?p=237275#p237275

As for fanfics, you can find the list of them here:
    viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13095

As for other recommended things to read, you can find them here:
    viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7082

It's my fanfiction. :)

My erf PC game (first test version): Jack Attack Give it a go.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:30 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    http://www.erfworld.com/blog/view/46631 ... -chapter-1

The first epic fic I read here, its solid, and a fun read, even if you don't like OCs.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:35 am 
    Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner This user has been published! Year of the Dwagon Supporter
    Ugh, it really should be easier than it is to find new stories.

These two links filter out most of the front page entries, and focus on fanfics, and fancomics, although, it's not a complete list. I'd especially recommend the Count Downer stuff by NoiP.
    http://www.erfworld.com/streams/filter/fancomic
    http://www.erfworld.com/streams/filter/fanfic

If you are looking for stories that are given an official recommendation, then you should try this link. They tend to be longer ones that are featured on the front page.
    http://www.erfworld.com/series/list

There is also the submissions page, which should, in theory, have every single story ever submitted, but only goes back to 2016, and the list feels like it should be longer than this. Curiously, if I sort by time, instead of tips, entries before 2017 disappear. We had a very nice submission system before the latest revamp. When I made a submission, it went into this dedicated story list that anyone could look at. Which we no longer have.
    http://www.erfworld.com/streams/view_submissions

If you absolutely, positively want to scan everything that might lead to a fan story, then you want to click on the all blogs option. It would be nice if Rob's posts didn't count for this, so that I could just look at blogs from people. Scrolling through, it even just has people making normal posts, like one guy saying "delete my post", so it just has anything anyone has ever said, probably.
    http://www.erfworld.com/blog/all

That's not all though, because, before there were blogs, there was the forum, and a lot of the stories made here were never posted for the blog, so they never got much attention at all. There are some good ones though. A particular favourite of mine is Fraying Fate, where a caster, with knowledge of the comic, is popped, as a predictamancer, a month or two before Parson was scheduled to come, and the guy decides that he'd rather just try to win the war instead of following canon.
    viewforum.php?f=16

And that's every method I know of to find fanfics in Erfworld.

Quote:
    The first epic fic I read here, its solid, and a fun read, even if you don't like OCs.

I appreciate the recommendation. There is stuff I'm proud of for that story (I think I nailed the opening few paragraphs, and I really liked the attempt to kill Ansom when he negotiated with Charlie), and stuff I find a bit corny , but wasn't sure how to better handle it (handling of Jillian finding the lake dwagons, and the repercussions of losing the battle). I made it my goal to write down book 1.

It's very mechanics heavy, which is because the story was written with the intent of trying to quantify the mechanics of erfworld. I'm currently trying to work out game rules for building your own units as well, and would love comments and criticism on it. I think I got most of it nailed down, and am trying to make a nice little stat board, which is proving to be rather difficult, at least it is to get all the features that I want.
    https://rpg.erfworld.com/Toma%27s_Unit_Creation

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld