Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:34 pm 
Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary This user is a Tool!
Even when they're just as simple as "No comic today," it's nice to be able to mentally check off that little box and know that I don't have to keep checking back until 3 AM worrying that I'm missing something.

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:15 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool!
    ADB wrote:
    Even when they're just as simple as "No comic today," it's nice to be able to mentally check off that little box and know that I don't have to keep checking back until 3 AM worrying that I'm missing something.

Ditto.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:02 am 
    This user is a Tool!
    Spoiler: show
    mortissimus wrote:
    ADB wrote:

Ditto.

PS - Red’s explanation of “doing what they need to do” is all I needed. :D

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:53 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    I appreciate them very much. But I did want to point out that such short submissions, especially without the comments at the end, visually look pretty bad. I'm not asking for a big story or anything, "no post today" is perfectly acceptable for content or even just "skip", but maybe some art could be whipped up to append all news posts so that the tiny ones don't look so strange? Really, there's probably something already made that would fit fine. It's just pretty jarring imo, I know it's a small thing and I may seem like I'm making a mountain of a molehill, but it really doesn't fit the rest of the site at all I think.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:52 am 
    This user posted the comment of the month This user got funny with a rodent Shiny Red Star Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    ANGLVD3TH wrote:
    I appreciate them very much. But I did want to point out that such short submissions, especially without the comments at the end, visually look pretty bad. I'm not asking for a big story or anything, "no post today" is perfectly acceptable for content or even just "skip", but maybe some art could be whipped up to append all news posts so that the tiny ones don't look so strange? Really, there's probably something already made that would fit fine. It's just pretty jarring imo, I know it's a small thing and I may seem like I'm making a mountain of a molehill, but it really doesn't fit the rest of the site at all I think.

I disagree. Short and sweet is perfect. It's not even necessary, but is a very nice gesture, given the situation. Priorities.

Thank you to Yshl's daughter for my new avatar. I love it! 3/4/2018

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:58 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    I can't figure out what would be the correct thread to ask, so I'll try with this one.

We should (already?) get a new comic today, right?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:52 pm 
    This user posted the comment of the month This user got funny with a rodent Shiny Red Star Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Adept wrote:
    I can't figure out what would be the correct thread to ask, so I'll try with this one.

My personal thought is that it's a skip, probably unplanned and unexpected. Again, just my personal thought, but I think we can expect those along the way. Life is unpredictable under the best of circumstances and these aren't the best of circumstances.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:31 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    The double skip makes me feel really concerned. :|

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:21 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    greycat wrote:

I've had a bad feeling since the "unannounced skips" announcement a while back. There are an awful lot of warning signs:

Author has a major family issue going on (which is totally understandable)
    Plot is crawling along (and limited updates don't help that)
    Plot is in a complex, difficult to resolve organically, position
    We are getting skips even after length of content has been reduced.

I believe we also still have outstanding kickstarter rewards, which adds additional stress.

Last Updated 12/15/2017

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:11 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user is a Tool!
    tigerusthegreat wrote:
    greycat wrote:

I've had a bad feeling since the "unannounced skips" announcement a while back. There are an awful lot of warning signs:

I believe we also still have outstanding kickstarter rewards, which adds additional stress.

I actually have to say I completely disagree with you - I'm actually relieved we get these skips, even if they are unannounced. I have to agree with the OP - the skip announcements are a nice touch, but the fact that Rob has his priorities in order is the important fact. The story doesn't have to go anywhere right now, it'll be there to get picked back up when Rob has the [EVERYTHING] to spare to pick it back up, and I'm in less of a rush to see where the story is going than Rob is in a rush to take care of way more important things.

Slightly rambly answer, but in short: I'm happy Rob has his priorities in order, and that he's gotten our message loud and clear: take care of yourselves, boop the story if that's what's needed.

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:06 am 
    Filathorn wrote:
    tigerusthegreat wrote:
    greycat wrote:

I actually have to say I completely disagree with you - I'm actually relieved we get these skips, even if they are unannounced. I have to agree with the OP - the skip announcements are a nice touch, but the fact that Rob has his priorities in order is the important fact. The story doesn't have to go anywhere right now, it'll be there to get picked back up when Rob has the [EVERYTHING] to spare to pick it back up, and I'm in less of a rush to see where the story is going than Rob is in a rush to take care of way more important things.

Slightly rambly answer, but in short: I'm happy Rob has his priorities in order, and that he's gotten our message loud and clear: take care of yourselves, boop the story if that's what's needed.

Don't get me wrong, I want Rob to take care of his personal stuff. I would never want him to sacrifice his family time (especially dealing with what they are). I've just seen enough web comics die because of the issues I've detailed above to be concerned about it.

Last Updated 12/15/2017

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:13 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    I don't grudge them the skip, that would be crazy. It's just that the lack of a skip notice makes me worry about the Balders. The admins said that we'd be notified of skips now :?

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:18 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Adept wrote:

Came here exactly for this reason. Glad to see I'm not just missing something on my end. I am concerned too. OotS is a perfect example of how unexplained, unannounced skips can snowball into oblivion and sadness for the webcom :cry:

Wishing good things to come Robs way. Also wishing not to lose my favorite webcomic in its prime.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:57 pm 
    tigerusthegreat wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, I want Rob to take care of his personal stuff. I would never want him to sacrifice his family time (especially dealing with what they are). I've just seen enough web comics die because of the issues I've detailed above to be concerned about it.

How could anyone take that wrong, or do you mean that you seem more concerned about the survival of a comic than a human being? Rob isn't taking care of "personal stuff." This isn't a trip to the bank or getting his hair cut. He's not just spending "family time." He's supporting his wife through doctor visits, lab work, chemo, and all the associated joys that cancer brings. (If you can't relate, do some research.) Right now, if anyone finds themselves worried more about plots and skips than cancer and chemo, they need to seriously reevaluate their priorities.

Just my opinion, not that of management, and subject to being deleted by the powers that be.

• Tipped by 3 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:05 pm 
    Merilynne wrote:
    tigerusthegreat wrote:

How could anyone take that wrong, or do you mean that you seem more concerned about the survival of a comic than a human being? Rob isn't taking care of "personal stuff." This isn't a trip to the bank or getting his hair cut. He's not just spending "family time." He's supporting his wife through doctor visits, lab work, chemo, and all the associated joys that cancer brings. (If you can't relate, do some research.) Right now, if anyone finds themselves worried more about plots and skips than cancer and chemo, they need to seriously reevaluate their priorities.

Just my opinion, not that of management, and subject to being deleted by the powers that be.

You don't know me or my history, and I don't know yours, but my poor wording has clearly hit a raw nerve with you.

I never intended to say Rob should spend his time on the comic rather than dealing with obviously more important things that are going on in his own life. It's clear his priorities are in the right place.

I am merely saying that I believe we are seeing the beginning of the end of this comic. TBH, if it wasn't a primary source of income for Rob, I doubt we'd be seeing any updates at all. Whether that's good, bad or indifferent is up to you, it's just what I am predicting. I really hope I am wrong.

Last Updated 12/15/2017

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:41 am 
    Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary This user is a Tool!
    Erm, the point of this thread was to be grateful that we WERE being told about skips... I'd rather it not turn into a long example of why telling people about the schedule results in excessive and inappropriate speculation.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:17 am 
    ADB wrote:
    Erm, the point of this thread was to be grateful that we WERE being told about skips... I'd rather it not turn into a long example of why telling people about the schedule results in excessive and inappropriate speculation.

Technically speaking this conversation changed wgen we got a second skip in a row that was unannounced.

Last Updated 12/15/2017

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:33 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Remember when we used to argue about whether plastic surgery would fall under Signamancy or Healomancy, or about what threshold of turnt you need to be for it to stop being Hippiemancy and become Turnamancy? If Knights or Commanders have a higher BAB?

I guess this place has gone the way of the rest of the internet: putting words into each others mouths and stacking soap boxes in competition to champion the personal decisions of people most of us have never met.

Don't we have better things to talk about? Like, if Twolls can re-Fabricate Golems to heal them, as long as they haven't lost Motion?

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:41 pm 
    Burley wrote:
    Remember when we used to argue about whether plastic surgery would fall under Signamancy or Healomancy, or about what threshold of turnt you need to be for it to stop being Hippiemancy and become Turnamancy? If Knights or Commanders have a higher BAB?

I guess this place has gone the way of the rest of the internet: putting words into each others mouths and stacking soap boxes in competition to champion the personal decisions of people most of us have never met.

Don't we have better things to talk about? Like, if Twolls can re-Fabricate Golems to heal them, as long as they haven't lost Motion?

I agree.
    There's no need to start picking eachothers apart cos of choice of words.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:16 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Merilynne wrote:
    ANGLVD3TH wrote:

I disagree. Short and sweet is perfect. It's not even necessary, but is a very nice gesture, given the situation. Priorities.

I think you misunderstand. I don't mind the sparse content of the notification at all. It just looks kind of odd, with the current formatting. I would just like to see an updated format that makes the unusually short posts look a bit cleaner. For example, if they had the comment section, I don't think it would be an issue, though I get why they have turned them off. Or if they had a half-page art of a town crier or something for all the news posts. I don't want an essay on each skip, it's more than enough that they say anything at all. Just would like to see them look a bit neater is all.

But I know I am probably making this out to sound like a much bigger deal than I think it is.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld