Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:56 am 
So a while back, Charlie busted out the notion that Parson is in fact a former resident of the City of Heroes. It was a gambit, sure, meant to play to Don King's piety in an attempt to remove Parson from the game.

But suppose for a moment that it's true.

Casually consider the following notion
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation_hypothesis

In a sense, this is a fairly reasonable description of Erfworld, as a simulation that approximates reality. However, if Stupidworld, by the same reasoning, is itself also a simulation, except at a higher "resolution", then that would mean we have a simulation within a simulation.

Accepting that as true, one looks for motive on the part of the being/individual/intellect running the simulation. Well, let's look at how the "thinking" entities within interact with their simulation. They are birthed/popped, they grow/gain levels, learn things, and then they croak/die.

Both simulations maintain a persistent concept of ascending to a higher state after an individual reaches his end in what is generally regarded as good standing. The city of heroes, and the various things constituting the afterlife of Stupidworld.

Let's accept that is also true. We are then left with the idea that worthy Erfworlders are born into stupidworld upon their croaking (since parson has a childhood, this would be at birth), and into a higher simulation after that (there's no reason to assume that Stupidworld is highest order of simulation).

We begin to see part of a larger concept where the simulations take the form of a nesting doll, with each smaller, less complicated layer enclosed by a larger, more complicated layer, the intent of which appears to be birthing what for our purposes we will call a soul, and sorting it through increasingly complex simulations, discarding those who don't measure up, passing on the ones that do to the next simulation to be further refined, with the ultimate intent no doubt being to create the most perfect being possible. Maybe that's how you make gods?

This is why guns have to be autospecialed (or go to archers) and Parson continues to but against Erfworld mechanics. Even as "higher" concepts, they still but up against the limits of the erfworld simulation. It's not just a different world, it's inherently less capable of detail and complexity. It also suggest fate as a sort of debugging tool, snapping things back to normal to avoid compromising the simulation.

Accepting all of That, we have to consider the implications.
*Charlie, through the arkendish and the "extrauniversal channels" he can view, truly does know what lies beyond. He knows that the "city of heroes" is actually a strange world where nothing is actually guaranteed and you have to start out as a crying larva dependent on everybody else and hope for the best. He fears death because he doesn't want to lose all he's gained.
*"Peace on Erf" is fundamentally impossible. With no mechanism for dying of old age, the Simulation depends on people Croaking each other continuously to feed the simulations above it with additional souls. Thus our debugging tool Fate must inevitably intervene. Notably, if Parson discovers this, expect an existential crisis when he realizes his thoughts on ending war in Erfworld are literally compromising reality.
*Stupidworld is not necessary the next layer of the nesting doll, the notion only requires that it be a higher step. We could reasonably assume an infinite number of higher layers, just as we could assume an infinite number of lower, less complex layers of modeling (chess, checkers, tictactoe, dick-boobs, an infinite series of coin flips).
*With the given ability to pull information and people out of Stupidworld, the possibility exists to go the other way. Does this mean Parson could potentially bring his friends with him if he returns home, could they function in a higher layer of simulation, or would this trip his own layer's "debug" routine?

Anyway, just me babbling. And yes, I'm aware that as a setting of a webcomic, Stupidworld is already a definite simulation. :P

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:57 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    I always hated the simulation hypothesis due to it's anthropocentric world view.

-The Song of Maybe

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:40 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Shai hulud wrote:
    I always hated the simulation hypothesis due to it's anthropocentric world view.

Not only that, since we know this is a "string theory" history world. o3o

It's allies about the hair Contest <- Extended until 1st March..

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:47 pm 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day This user is a Tool!
    I still think Columbus is a great name for a city in the clouds. It is right up there with Nimbus Land.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:15 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    Anomynous 167 wrote:
    I still think Columbus is a great name for a city in the clouds. It is right up there with Nimbus Land.

You know, Ohio is high in the middle (as well as being round on both ends).

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:22 am 
    This user is a Tool!
    Nimelennar wrote:
    Anomynous 167 wrote:

You know, Ohio is high in the middle (as well as being round on both ends).

O-420-o? Yeah. That would explain a LOT!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld