Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld

Post subject: Source Theory
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:43 pm 
Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf
Ok, not a "theory" in the scientific sense, but you know what I mean. I'd like to pose a hypothetical.

What if Big Think accidentally (or intentionally) drains the Source? We don't know what actually relies on the Source for juice yet, other than Charlie's machines. But there is some hint that shmuckers are converted into juice by the capital which is then sent out to all units of the side to sustain them. I don't know if sided casters get their juice from this upkeep or from the Source, but it seems possible that barbarian casters receive juice from the Source.

I'm just imagining a scenario where the new turn starts, and no caster in the world refills on juice like they are supposed to. Sides with temples are able to essentially "buy" juice by converting shmuckers.

It would cause the world to quickly fall into a post apocalyptic state that I would find really interesting. It might also force sides to pull their heads out of their collective asses.

Charlie would arguably still be the most powerful side. With his gun stockpile and gem horde, no one could really touch him. Everyone in the Magic Kingdom would be forced to pick a side, literally. No juice means no ability for them to make upkeep. Some casters might find Decryption a more attractive option at that point.

Would sides fall to petty, desperate squabbles to survive? Or would they attempt to band together to fix things? If we're honest, the first one is most likely until someone tries to be peace maker.

I don't know, I'm just spit-balling. But I found the premise of a juice shortage to be intriguing. What about you?

I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post subject: Re: Source Theory
     Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:02 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user has been published! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf This user got funny with a rodent Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user is a Tool! Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Armored Dwagon Monthly Winner Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    If the source is finite, and can be drained, that raises the question of what refills it. What daily payment replenishes the source on a regular basis?

Just a wild theory but... what if it's upkeep?

*A Very Erfworld Questmas - Peace on Erf.
    *Blast From The Past - 10 part story about an army frozen in time. Finished!

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:15 pm 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter This user has been published! This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf
    Omnimancer wrote:
    If the source is finite, and can be drained, that raises the question of what refills it. What daily payment replenishes the source on a regular basis?

Just a wild theory but... what if it's upkeep?

In that case, would decrypting all living units cause all other natural magic in the world to stop working?

I'm writing a sequel! It's called Finding Sanctuary. Please do give it a look. Last updated December 1st, 2016.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:27 pm 
    E is for Erfworld Supporter Battle Crest Pins Supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter
    So gemstones are the source of their power?

The power of their source, the crystal. The crystal.

-The Song of Maybe

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:41 am 
    This user has been published! Shiny Red Star This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter This user got funny with a rodent Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    An absence of Juice seems like it would only be apocalyptic for the MK. Warlords and infantry don't rely on Juice. Stabbers can still stab as long as they've got swords.

If you expand Juice to include all of the mechanics of Erfworld like rations popping, Move and Hits restoring, twoll crafting, stacking bonuses, etc etc... that would be apocalyptic, but also assuming more about Juice than we've really seen evidence for.

Ask Count Downer is over and archived now.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:22 am 
    No one in particular wrote:
    An absence of Juice seems like it would only be apocalyptic for the MK. Warlords and infantry don't rely on Juice. Stabbers can still stab as long as they've got swords.

If you expand Juice to include all of the mechanics of Erfworld like rations popping, Move and Hits restoring, twoll crafting, stacking bonuses, etc etc... that would be apocalyptic, but also assuming more about Juice than we've really seen evidence for.

Parson did once say that all his ideas for self-sustainability would require a massive reduction in the population of Erf to work.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:35 am 
    No one in particular wrote:

I think that Bunny or another Thinkamancer noted that giving a silent order required a speck of juice, so it is possible that all Warlords have juice just very low levels which they can't access consciously.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:08 am 
    This user posted the comment of the month This user got funny with a rodent Shiny Red Star Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Every unit uses juice.

According to Jed, juice makes what we now think of as H-strings, stronger, so wouldn't it follow that the complete loss of juice could make them dormant? That would mean that the ties between units and their rulers, and, potentially, even the ties between Wanda and her decrypted, might cease to function if there were no juice. Units might be unable to receive upkeep at all, even that provided by Shmuckers, if the H-strings suddenly became inert.

Ok, think about that a second. Without loyalty and upkeep, wouldn't everyone effectively become barbarian? Loyalty would suddenly have to be earned, completely changing the dynamics of Erfworld.

Thank you to Yshl's daughter for my new avatar. I love it! 3/4/2018

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:53 am 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    All units have juice and use it, even if it's only at a minuscule level. All of the natural functions like ruler senses, orders, stacking, etc. use a tiny bit of juice. Pinky swears use juice.

The Source might be replenished by the natural depopping of bodies and other daily maintenance. At least that's my first guess.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:17 pm 
    This user is a Tool! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter E is for Erfworld Supporter Year of the Dwagon Supporter Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Merilynne wrote:
    Ok, think about that a second. Without loyalty and upkeep, wouldn't everyone effectively become barbarian? Loyalty would suddenly have to be earned, completely changing the dynamics of Erfworld.

I wonder just how much like Stupidworld Erfworld might become if all the Natural Magic ran out of juice. Is the "force field" at hex boundaries some sort of magic? That underpins a lot of the "whose turn it is" and "how you can move" mechanics. Unplugging the Source might land us in some inconceivable situation where it's everyone's turn all the time, day and night ;)

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:37 pm 
    This user posted the comment of the month This user got funny with a rodent Shiny Red Star Mined 4 Erf Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Caprice wrote:
    Merilynne wrote:

I wonder just how much like Stupidworld Erfworld might become if all the Natural Magic ran out of juice. Is the "force field" at hex boundaries some sort of magic? That underpins a lot of the "whose turn it is" and "how you can move" mechanics. Unplugging the Source might land us in some inconceivable situation where it's everyone's turn all the time, day and night ;)

That's a possibility, too. If true "free will" were suddenly thrust into the dynamic, all sorts of things might change.

Thank you to Yshl's daughter for my new avatar. I love it! 3/4/2018

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld