Forum    Members    Search    FAQ

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:11 am 
Shiny Red Star Year of the Dwagon Supporter This user was a Tool before it was cool This user is a member of Team Erfworld This user has been published! Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Mined 4 Erf Shiny Red Star Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins For when you need it most Celebrated Rob and Linda's 1st Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Clubs Suit Pip Spades Suit Pip
In case you missed it there's important news on the homepage. Please keep your responses in this thread and, of course, be considerate.

Full Avatar by Xin Ye

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:20 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    I find myself fine with minimalism.

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:23 am 
    This user was a Tool before it was cool This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter This user is a Tool!
    Fuck cancer. I hope that everything turns out well for everyone involved during these incomprehensibly shitty times. We love you and we understand. Beat the everliving piss out of this.

• Tipped by 3 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:30 am 
    This user posted the comment of the month Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf This user got funny with a rodent This user is a Tool! Shiny Red Star Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins For when you need it most Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day Clubs Suit Pip
    God damn. I'm sorry you're having to go through this Rob and Linda both. But I'm completely on board with your priorities. And for what it's worth, I've upped my pledge in hopes of mitigating some of the difficulties that will come with this. It's... a drop in the bucket. I wish I could do more.

Fear the would-be hero. For against the pangs of conscience, there is no more effective anesthesia than a righteous cause. And no one sees themselves as the villain, especially the villain.

• Tipped by 5 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:31 am 
    Print Book 2 & Draw Book 3 Supporter IRC Quote of the Moment Mined 4 Erf Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins
    At Worldcon you both were just... radiant, full of life and happy. This is so god damn unfair to the two of you.

I'm sure I speak for a lot of people, hang in there. 'You' time is the biggest thing now.

Love and happy thoughts to both R&L. Ghost hug.

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:32 am 
    This user is a Tool!
    Thank you for the years of enjoyment I've had following the comic. Best wishes to Rob and Linda along with my apologies for not pledging before now.

• Tipped by 5 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:36 am 
    Shiny Red Star IRC Quote of the Moment Has collected at least one unit Here for the 10th Anniversary Mined 4 Erf This user is a Tool! Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Won Mine4erf for the Marbits Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    I don't think anyone could have demanded so much openness from you and Rob, Linda. I know Rob wrote that post but it's your health and your partnership you are letting us all see into.

I think we all know how much Rob and you have given to this community in time and energy and it's a mark of the esteem you hold us in that you share so much.

I hope that the fates are with you and all the things align for you that may.

This comic has always been about quality over anything else and I think we all appreciate that. Not just the quality of the product but the quality in the team and community here. One thing I have always felt in this forum and this community is the genuine love and respect people have here. I hope this community can give you comfort and aid where we can.

Rob, you and Linda have spent years prioritising us. And that always comes with borrowing the present against the future. Well your future is RIGHT NOW. Invest in each other. Spend all the time you can in what you need to do.

I know you're not one to ask for help, but if you need it know it's there.

And just to add, I am incredibly sorry and rather inclined to teariness over this for you all.

Last edited by Violet on Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
  • Tipped by 3 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:43 am 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Mined 4 Erf Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Twitter: orellanapuga
    I find myself conflicted about posting what I have I've done, as this is absolutely not about me: I've doubled my pledge but I have something to ask: I don't care for the "on-time" part any more... Can this be made optional?

Good luck Linda

• Tipped by 5 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:45 am 
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool! Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Best of luck Linda.

Been reading Erfworld since page 1 back on the OOTS site. It's easily the best longform webcomic out there and on par with anything by my favorite authors, comics or otherwise. I know I can speak for most fans of the comic when I say that all I want from Rob is to continue to do great work. I think any fan of Erfworld who cares about the deeper elements of the story must find compassion, decency, humanity, and altruism to be compelling values. Those are central to the heart of the comic and I know that's one of the reasons I love and respect this story.

With that in mind, I want the comic to keep being great and it pains me to think that this personal ordeal is not only hurting people who - though I don't know them personally - I respect and care about, but it may also fundamentally change a work of art that I admire. I'm far more interested in the legacy of Erfworld than in momentary satisfaction from timely updates. I'm sure most Erfworld fans would agree that we keep reading because there is so much potential for greatness when the story finally concludes. The world is rich and deep and laden with beautiful metaphor. There's something to be learned by reading Erfworld and I genuinely fear missing out on the story Rob has to tell. It breaks my hear to think of the pain he and Linda must be dealing with.

It seems so difficult not to have the support system offered by working for someone else (though hopefully the freedom is worth the struggle). I want to personally provide some of the structure Rob and Linda can't have from a conventional job in whatever small way possible. I want to help ease the financial burden in any way I can, and I'm sure a lot of Erfworld fans feel the same. The circumstances of their lives have changed and I don't want that to make the story any different from the best possible version.

I don't want this help to be limited by how much work Rob does for it either. I just want to reach into my pockets and offer something up without asking anything in return. I want to help. If there's no more direct way I'll still be upgrading my pledge soon, whether it's one update a year or otherwise.

Titans be with you both!

• Tipped by 5 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:02 am 
    This user is a Tool! Ruler of Erfworld
    As someone who has known and (mostly silently) loved you two and your work from afar for years, this hurts me so much that I can't even imagine how much pain you must be in. You are absolutely right. Linda time is and should be now >>> all else.

Joining the toolshed was one of the things that I was always going to 'get around to' but never quite did. That's fixed as of now. Supporting you as a 'Titan' is the only thing I really can do now, other than offer my meager prayers and love from afar.

• Tipped by 4 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:04 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit This user is a Tool!
    Spend your time together, that is the right call. Rest and fun also strengthens the body, giving what small bonuses there are to be had.

It's less important, but it sounds like the right call for the comic too.

I think my pledge got lost when I changed credit cards. I'll renew it when I am home at the computer. A small drop in the bucket.

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:10 am 
    Facebook: Kelibath
    Google+: +Kelibath
    Rob, Linda, I am so utterly sorry to hear about the dreadful trial you're going through. Your priorities are 100% on the money. I for one am honestly glad we finally know what's been causing the problems on Team Erfworld and can properly sympathise and pull together to assist - but I really wish it wasn't something like this. You have my prayers and care.

In terms of the readership's likely reactions, I completely agree. I think people would be more than fine with two shorter text updates than one long text update and one skip week. We've always admired your professionalism and perfectionism but that perfectionism also eats up an awful lot of your time. Maybe it's time to allow the Erfworld community to help edit and correct a bit more? Many of us would be willing to assist as sub-editors, paid or otherwise. If it were me, I might have suggested more art updates as the onus for production at that point lies more heavily on the art team (I imagine) when the main job of the writer is to edit... but honestly? These are just ideas. You two just do exactly what you need to do.

If you need a bit of guest art, please just let me know. I've a few free weeks right now and could mock up an illustration or two to show my support as I can't currently afford a pledge.

Last edited by Kelibath on Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
  • Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:11 am 
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Erfworld Bicycle® Playing Cards supporter Won Mine4erf for the Gobwins Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    Go to bed, Rob.

I love you, and I love Linda too. It's not worth much, but I want you both to know that.

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:23 am 
    Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    So sorry to hear the news. It will be a trial for both of you, in different but equally hard ways. I wish you luck and hope. Take the time you need, then tame some more just for you.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:36 am 
    This user is a Tool! Mined 4 Erf Has collected at least one unit Won Mine4erf for the Marbits
    So hi, this is my first time posting on erf. I saw your news post today, I've been reading every one that you've posted up until now (something about this one said something to me). Seeing everything you have done for erfworld up til now has been delightful and despite you having to take a rest here and there you always work hard to give back to your community. What I am saying here is how happy I am that you are still pushing on despite everything that is happening with your wife. That you are willing to keep things going with everyone despite another setback. I know you are worried about the future, but my hope is that this community will be here to support you going forward and whatever decision you make they will be happy with what you've done.

• Tipped by 3 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:37 am 
    Has collected at least one unit
    So sorry to hear this. I think everyone would be fine with the shorter text in the updates, it's completely understandable. Linda, best wishes and I really hope you kick this things ass. Rob, you're both in my thoughts as I know it's going to be a difficult time for you guys. Sending every good vibe your way. Stay strong.

• Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:37 am 
    Pin-up Calendar and New Art Team Supporter Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit
    Zeal wrote:
    Fuck cancer. I hope that everything turns out well for everyone involved during these incomprehensibly shitty times. We love you and we understand. Beat the everliving piss out of this.

Seconded.

Also I would just like to say that you've always been very considerate to your audience, putting us first (possibly even when you shouldn't) and paying attention to every excruciating detail in an update. I know it can be hard to not be such a perfectionist, but you might find that even though you feel like you are doing LESS, the story doesn't really suffer. You may have about the same error rate (we still manage to find a few things that need to be retconned), but you aren't pouring so many hours into it as you used to. That can be a really good thing for your sanity, regardless of the shitty stuff that has triggered this change.

I'm glad you don't regret the time you've spent doing work you love because of this news. I hope it stays that way. After having lost several friends in my life, the most recent one to cancer, I've reflected on how I spent that time. I'd have to say that I don't regret the choices that I've made. Just played a roleplaying game tonight and while some might view that as a waste of time I enjoyed the fun I had with my friends. I enjoyed the show I watched with my wife the night before. And yeah, I still would have worked out if I knew I would pass tomorrow because it still made me feel good when I was doing it.

I hope that you and Linda don't regret any of the time you've spent working on Erfworld or anything else you've done together. I also hope you two the best of Luckamancy/Healomancy with this thing.

Last edited by wakko on Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Tipped by 4 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:55 am 
    This user is a Tool!
    Just another long time reader who was inspired to pledge, if for no other reason than to say that we as your readers care, and want to support you guys however much or little we can. It sounds like you have your priorities straight, so I won't waste words. Take care of yourselves. We're rooting for you both.

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:08 am 
    This user is a Tool! Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    So, this is not what I was expecting to read when I woke up this morning.
    I'm really sorry for your situation, and understand what you mean when you say that your priorities have changed...my mother has cancer too, and just yesterday my hope for her to heal dropped again.
    You've made the right choice: your time together is the most precious thing, and even if the comic is important...well, it's just not that important.
    You have my full support, love, and blessings.
    Hugs
    Giulia

• Tipped by 1 person!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:10 am 
    This user is a Tool! Here for the 10th Anniversary Has collected at least one unit Was an active Tool on Free Cards Day
    I wouldn't cancel my pledge because of this. That would be a really horrible thing to do!

You definitely have bigger issues to worry about, and I wouldn't pile money problems ontop of that!

I am however curious about your insurance. $1,100 a month sounds like a lot of money, for not much cover if it's capped at $7,350 a year per person. I'd have thought they would cover all of your medical bills.

I'd also seriously consider talking to your insurance about suing your GP. If he missed the warning signs of liver cancer for 7 months then there's possibly grounds for a lawsuit to cover part of the bills, which the insurance company might pay for as it'll save them paying the hospital.

I wish Linda all the best. I hope it's still early stage cancer, and easily treatable. I also hope it's as painless as possible.

I will look forward to updates when they arrive, but you're correct that it's less important then her health, or your time together.

And we're all always here for you.

• Tipped by 2 people!
  • Tip this post

Make Anonymous

Board index » Erfworld Things » Everything Else Erfworld